• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Stagelist Discussion

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Looks good to me. The logic behind the stage choices is really sensible, and I like the look of new Norfair. I'm also glad to see PS1 and Lylat get demoted to page 2.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I like it for the most part. I think Lylat is a more neutral stage than many of the cps and idk about the two page idea, but overall, it isn't bad.

I kind of wish they didn't have all the stages on page two. It's inconvenient for casual play, but it also isn't set up for casual play so it doesn't matter too much.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
So are all those stage for doubles as well? because green hill zone is super tiny.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I've been hoping for a standardized and redesigned tournament stage list for a long time, and I am super happy about this. 5 starters + 5 cps with 2 bans seems like a very good system, and the choice of starter stages and cp stages is really solid.

The dual stage list idea is a creative solution, but I honestly can't imagine anyone going to the Page 2 stage list in tournament. Because there are only 6 legal stages on Page 2, having 2 bans would make it very difficult for anyone to get a decent counterpick, so why even go to Page 2? It just feels inferior to the Page 1 list.

I suppose we should just give it time and see how the new stage list fares in tournaments. I definitely think it's a major improvement.

EDIT: uh, SOJ's video is now private, so . . . can it be found elsewhere?

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I do not agree with this stage list. 3 Medium size stages and then 1 small and 1 large? Looks like you are only ever going to be playing on a medium size stage.

EclipseKirby

Smash Cadet
I do not agree with this stage list. 3 Medium size stages and then 1 small and 1 large? Looks like you are only ever going to be playing on a medium size stage.
You say that like there's a solution that won't result in 90% of all starter matches to end up on Battlefield, PS2, or Smashville and also isn't stupid. Increasing the number of stages doesn't do anything, for as long as both players are banning to one stage, the guy that doesn't want a small stage will remove those, and the guy that doesn't want the big ones will remove those. If both enjoy small stages, well it's unlikely they'd waste time banning GHZ. What's important is whether this polarizes things for certain character's too much or not.

This is fine to me. The smaller list should speed up things a little bit compared to what I am used to, while not much of importance is lost. I'd have to try out that Norfair though.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
The video is still private, but if this is the one I'm thinking of, it is not the 3.5 stagelist, but an updated 3.0 created by SOJ and TKBreezy for Smash @ Xanadu (and any other TO interested in creating a uniform stagelist).

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I've been hoping for a standardized and redesigned tournament stage list for a long time, and I am super happy about this. 5 starters + 5 cps with 2 bans seems like a very good system, and the choice of starter stages and cp stages is really solid.

The dual stage list idea is a creative solution, but I honestly can't imagine anyone going to the Page 2 stage list in tournament. Because there are only 6 legal stages on Page 2, having 2 bans would make it very difficult for anyone to get a decent counterpick, so why even go to Page 2? It just feels inferior to the Page 1 list.

I suppose we should just give it time and see how the new stage list fares in tournaments. I definitely think it's a major improvement.

EDIT: uh, SOJ's video is now private, so . . . can it be found elsewhere?
I can see an Ike main doing it. The current stage list, they are guaranteed to not have one that is friendly for their wall jump recovery so long as the opponent bans GHZ. The second page makes it where they can just ban lylat and skyworld, and they have a 2/3 chance of getting a map with walls that are good for walljumping.

Another example I can think of is a peach or puff. They simply ban PS1 and Distant planet and they are guaranteed a map with decent blast zones for their floaty nature.

There are likely a few others who benefit from going to page 2 on RPS.

Top Bottom