• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U New SSB4WiiU Font Identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
After viewing the Little Mac trailer, and getting a good close-up view of the character name at the bottom of the screen, I decided I'd try to track its font down.

Knowing that Brawl used stuff from DynaFont before (the large CSP names), I started my search there. It led me to one called "DFP超極太ゴシック体". Comparing it to the one used in-game proved to be a match.

Even better, part of the large collection I downloaded some time back to get Brawl's had this one, so I'll be able to provide it when necessary/wanted.

I know this isn't much, but I'll update later on when more details show up.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Excellent. Type nerds rejoice. XD

Last edited:

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
If you want to try Googling for it, you want the filename "DFHeiE.ttc". It's got _0 at the end on my copy (DFHeiE_0.ttc), but it may show up under the alternate name too. You might also switch A or C for the E, as it has minor weight variants that might work better at different sizes.

Keep in mind this is a type known as a TrueType Collection, so when previewing, it won't look right, but there should be buttons marked Previous and Next at the top of the preview, and you'll see the non-condensed version.

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
It looks like you need to buy the font in a set from that website.
It costs 3780 Yen or about 36.87 US Dollars.

Last edited:

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
OP, I guess this isn't the font used for digits? Or does it have an italic variant in your "collection file"?

You remind me I should take a look at something (company?) called Fontworks Japan. Some Sonic games have acknowledgements in manuals about their fonts being used, and I like some of these.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
So, some explanations:

1) This isn't the same one used on the website, so 'faked leaks' won't be an issue. it's more intended for either Brawl hacks to emulate the SSB4 style, or, if 4 is broken open as wide as Brawl has, especially recently, to make accurate textures for new characters.

2) 'Gothic' is essentially the Japanese equivalent to our 'Sans Serif'. what they refer to as "Mincho" is similar to our "Serif". It's just a styling, that's all.

3) I gave a file name for you all who wants it to Google for yourselves. It should, with a little perseverance, yield fruit.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
So, some explanations:

1) This isn't the same one used on the website, so 'faked leaks' won't be an issue. it's more intended for either Brawl hacks to emulate the SSB4 style, or, if 4 is broken open as wide as Brawl has, especially recently, to make accurate textures for new characters.

2) 'Gothic' is essentially the Japanese equivalent to our 'Sans Serif'. what they refer to as "Mincho" is similar to our "Serif". It's just a styling, that's all.

3) I gave a file name for you all who wants it to Google for yourselves. It should, with a little perseverance, yield fruit.
Thanks again for pointing this out. You have helped me out a ton with very little.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Well, technically "Gothic" part isn't Japan-exclusive. Century Gothic is one of my favourite fonts and it isn't Japanese, I think.

D

Deleted member

Well, I know I'm replying to an old thread, but..

If you scale down the text accordingly, it's the same exact text used in the ''for Nintendo 3DS and for Wii U'' parts of SSB4's logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Now you're playing with power! Oops, wrong thread. Nah, I'm kidding. Now, it looks even more like the SSB4 logo.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I'm glad you bumped this, I'm gonna have some fun. I don't know what I'll do yet though

Creativion

Smash Apprentice

Raijinken

Smash Master
I know this is a year old comment, and I'm really really sorry for the bump, but downloading this doesn't count as piracy, right? I don't want to download a font I'm supposed to pay for. But this looks like a different site, so maybe it's fine. But still, is it?
As a general rule, it's extremely rare for fonts to fall outside of public domain. That said, deliberately imitating the Smash Bros logo or something like that and using it for profit could cross the line.

D

Deleted member

I know this is a year old comment, and I'm really really sorry for the bump, but downloading this doesn't count as piracy, right? I don't want to download a font I'm supposed to pay for. But this looks like a different site, so maybe it's fine. But still, is it?
That site is down. Go to DynaFont's website (Japanese though) and purchase it from there. If you want to, anyway.

My images were merely created for testing purposes.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
As a general rule, it's extremely rare for fonts to fall outside of public domain. That said, deliberately imitating the Smash Bros logo or something like that and using it for profit could cross the line.
That site is down. Go to DynaFont's website (Japanese though) and purchase it from there. If you want to, anyway.

My images were merely created for testing purposes.
so... no?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm rather guilty for not catching the bump sooner, but please do not bump threads that have not received any replies for over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom