• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sonic and Snake will probably be back, unless Nintendo and Konami and/or SEGA can't agree on a money split.

Seeing as how Kojima and Sakurai are friends, I doubt the money split would be an issue.

Judging by how Sonic in Brawl made both Nintendo and SEGA loads of cash, hype, and free advertising, I would bet on Sonic returning.
When you think it over, SEGA did help develop F-Zero GX. On the other hand, the F-Zero characters are 100% Nintendo's property.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, MO, the regular PT is a flat character. The instances of a playable Pikachu is him as a non-flat character. And because there's more than one PT, I just can't call him/her a main character. They're important enough for a secondary, though. They appear in most of the games, but it's just a regular PC.

No, I said Gen 1 was overrepped. It has too many characters and anymore is unneeded. They got all the main ones done. The other Gens have a lot more choices and should be looked into first.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Metal Overlord
"Over representing a franchise," or "overrepping" isn't even a thing. And if it was, Star Fox, MOTHER, and Fire Emblem were "overrepped" with 2 characters (each).

We play as characters, not their franchises. It's as simple as that. Smash is about playing as unique characters, not unique franchises. If we had say Birdo instead of Mario playable and Big the Cat instead of Sonic, nobody would give two craps about either of those characters, even if they do "represent" their specific franchises. They would be beaching about no Sonic or Mario, because they want to play as them!

@ M&S Guy
The more I think about it, the more the "adding 3rd party characters is hard" thing sounds silly. Soul Calibur II added 3 characters from 3 completely companies (1 of which is a comic company) pretty easily. I don't think that's the issue. I think the issue is when a company "holds out" for a character (like what I think happened with Sonic) for more money, which I doubt would happen again (assuming it ever happened) because no 3rd party character is as big as Sonic.

Plus, Smash Bros. kinda is free advertisement! :laugh: Turning down smash bros. as a 3rd party is like turning down a free Super Bowl commercial; just plain stupid! :chuckle:

That and I think Sakurai wants to add 3rd party characters that "fit" into smash. Plus Sakurai and Nintendo want smash to have at least say 90%-95% of the roster to be 1st and 2nd party Nintendo characters. After all, this is a Nintendo game that, in many ways, is like a living, walking billboard for all kinds of Nintendo franchises.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last thing, I think people misunderstand the whole "overrepresentation" thing. I don't think putting in maybe 8-10 Pokemon out of 649 is "overrepping" it. I also think that overrepresentation is more like when you start including a bunch of minor, unnecessary characters for a series (Goomba, Daisy, Birdo, those type of characters), than just giving a series a lot of characters
Yeah when you start dragging generics into being playable, then you know that Nintendo is beginning to overrepresent a franchise. Koopa Troopas, Kritters, and Moblins are just examples of generics that are better off being Adventure Mode enemies.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Going off what you just posted M&S Guy, that's why we play as characters that make us want to play the game. If a character is in the game that doesn't make anyone want to play Smash Bros., then they don't belong.

That why the "joke characters" ended with Pichu! :laugh: (although Jigglypuff was an incredible "joke character")

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That was the greatest "joke" about Jigglypuff. It brought a play style, moveset, and way(s) of moving and fighting that is not just new to smash, but possibly new to fighting games.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, Pichu wasn't entirely a joke, since it did represent the baby Pokemon portion of the Pokemon franchise. Of course, this was short-lived in the end.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The way Pichu sucked in Melee was a joke. Although, I think part of Pichu's inclusion was to be a "new face" in Pokémon.

As for Mewtwo, there is nothing funny about how dreadfully weak he was in Melee. The same goes for Kirby. :facepalm:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The way Pichu sucked in Melee was a joke. Although, I think part of Pichu's inclusion was to be a "new face" in Pokémon.

As for Mewtwo, there is nothing funny about how dreadfully weak he was in Melee. The same goes for Kirby. :facepalm:
It's quite ironic how Sakurai's own creation turned out to be quite lousy in Melee. And in Brawl, Kirby still hasn't gotten back to his old Smash 64 days.

As for Mewtwo, why it was so light in Melee is beyond me. After all, Samus is floaty herself, but is actually super heavy. Now obviously I don't see Mewtwo being super heavy, but it should at least rival Wario's weight.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Giving Kirby more eye textures wouldn't hurt either. After all, we don't get to see Kirby's serious attitude in Smash Bros. nowadays.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kirby already has enough attitude in his American box art. Why would we need more attitude for a cute pink marshmallow?
What I mean is his eye expressions. Return to Dream Land is a good example of what Kirby's eye expressions in Smash Bros. should be like.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff is a joke character in the sense that it looks harmless but when you actually play as her, you find out, "Damn, Jigglypuff is actually powerful"

@John- I don't really care for "overrepresentation" or "representation" either. As long as you give me a cool character with a cool moveset that fits in Smash, then I'll be satisfied. For argument's sake, though, I'm only expressing my opinion over what I think overrepresentation "really is" as opposed to popular belief

[COLLAPSE="MOTHER OF GOD"]@HyperFalcon- That's the thing, though, I'm not saying that a specific trainer is the main character of the series (since that isn't true), I'm saying that Pokemon Trainers as a whole are main characters of the game series. And while PT isn't a consistent character, Trainers are still the only characters you play as in the Pokemon games. It's not like there are other types of characters with Pokemon that you can play as in the main games (you know, like Pokemon Rangers or Pokemon Coordinators). They're still your main connection to the main Pokemon games other than the Pokemon themselves, so the Trainer (again, as a whole) is still a main character of the series

And about the "need" to focus on other gens... I disagree with that and here's why:

People forget that there is more than one way to represent Pokemon on the battlefield. Not only can we make them playable characters, but we have Pokeballs as items in Smash, so they can also become Pokeball Pokemon and assist you in the battlefield. Think about it, what happened when we got Lucario, a 4th gen rep, in Brawl? We got an assload of 3rd gen Pokemon as Pokeball Pokemon. And what if the late Melee clones didn't make it in Melee (that includes Pichu, a 2nd gen rep) and we only Pikachu, Jiggs and Mewtwo? We still would have gotten a bunch of 2nd gen Pokemon as Pokeball Pokemon.

IMHO, there are way too many Pokemon per gen, let alone as a whole, for Sakurai to just sit there and try to represent every single gen with playable characters just so everyone can get a piece of the pie, especially when there are plenty of other characters from series that you could add instead. This is coming from someone who has wanted and still wants Scizor and Deoxys in Smash for the longest, mind you. It's just not realistic, that's why we have Pokeballs (and trophies and stickers) so that the myriad of Pokemon can still be represented even more fully and yet they still can play a part on the battlefield itself.

As for the 1st gen being "overrepped", like I said, while I would love to see Pokemon from other gens, I diagree IMO, and I'll explain why. This will take a little while so bear with me if you can, anyway...

Pokemon has a lot of Pokemon, of course, and the thing is that most of them aren't any more important or "deserving" (god, I hate that word, but for argument's sake, I'll roll with it) than the other. It's easy to see why King K. Rool would be added over a Kremling or why Ridley would be added over a Space Pirate, but with Pokemon, they all pretty much serve the same purpose (in the games, at least); you can catch them with a Trainer and train them in order to pit them against other Trainer and theirs Pokemon. So, who's to say that Scizor is any more "deserving" than say, Feraligatr? Or Bisharp? Or Garchomp? Even in the anime where the Pokemon actually have significant roles, there are still multiple Pokemon in multiple movies that have significant roles, so...

What I'm trying to say here is that for a series like Pokemon where almost all of the Pokemon have equal importance, it's easy to see why the most popular Pokemon (from the most popular gen, which is the original, of course) would get chosen instead of all the others. People say "Oh, 1st gen shouldn't get all the spotlight just because it's the original and most popular", but as a whole, there are just so many choices to just pick one or a couple of them easily, so popularity is really the only thing that makes them stick out from another Pokemon and therefore, that gives them the edge over the other Pokemon needed to help the developers to make their decisions on what Pokemon to add. After all, why not go with Pokemon from the original and most popular generation (and the newest and freshest generation) as opposed to Pokemon from the middling generations?[/COLLAPSE]

With all that said... my head hurts now :laugh:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
As for Mewtwo, why it was so light in Melee is beyond me. After all, Samus is floaty herself, but is actually super heavy. Now obviously I don't see Mewtwo being super heavy, but it should at least rival Wario's weight.
The thing is 269 lbs., which I assume is about as heavy as Solid Snake, so there's no excuse for his light weight.

Also, on a similar note, I know this is ancient news, but I come to find out that the original voice actor for Mewtwo died way back in 2001, with his last voice work for Mewtwo being Pokémon Puzzle League for the N64. Well, it's no wonder his voice sounded different in subsequent appearances since the first movie. D:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Pokemon Reps:

Pikachu
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Lucario
Zoroark
Red

This would be ideal. I say that because Mewtwo needs to return, and 5th gen deserves representation, in my eyes. Even though I dislike Zoroark, I'd rather have it than no 5th gen.

5th generation is just too damn awesome. Here's hoping we get some BA 5th gen Pokeballs (Klinklang, Golurk, Galvantula, Chandelure, etc.).

@Oasis That was my second option for that joke.

@Golden And that image is just too awesome for anyone to deny its truthiness. I'm one who isn't too keen on ol' Zoro, but that image of the three of them together really makes me warm up to it a bit more for some reason.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My god.... Pokemon debates are so boring. It's always the same... Mewtwo vs. Zoroark vs. Lucario (with the occasional Genesect) with Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Pokemon Trainer staying. Bring on Team Rocket!

:052: & :024: team and :052: & :110: team

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Magikarp needs to come out of a Pokeball and does the same thing as Goldeen does... but if it gets attacked, it evolves into Gyarados and uses Dragon Rage on the stage. That would be epic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In addition to Pikmin, the GamePad would be useful for games like Fire Emblem, Zelda, Metroid, and Advance Wars. Those games rely on maps. It would probably be useful for RPG's like Pokemon and Golden Sun... my god, Nintendo really needs to start bringing their RPG IP's to the home consoles, not restrict them to portable consoles.

-J-

Smash Rookie
@Arcadenik - Playing Fire Emblem with the map and inventory for characters always on the GamePad screen for easy access sounds delectable, not to mention transferring the actual play grid onto the pad and using your finger to control units. Which for some reason sounds way cool right now. Yeah. But, I agree - this is a prime opportunity to really create all sorts of RPG's in a system that will make players feel right at home again. We can have something close to a real SNES-era RPG powerhouse with this one if they choose to play that card, which I hope they do, since we're now just receiving the Wii's few golden RP's as its swan song. Advance Wars in HD would totally be something to behold, as well. Metroid and Zelda will both be musts, of course, and they'd be glorious.

Also, your Magikarp idea sounds brilliant... as does the Team Rocket one. You're just chock-full of brilliance, aren't you? <3

@Iblis - Thanks for letting us know! I always love checking into those things.

@MO - I chuckled at that article for its final line - "The only retailer that has actually pinned a price to the controller is a Swedish site with a massive $200+ price tag."

> Massive
Since when has that been so massive a price for a console? Over 10 years ago? :p

I'm glad they decided to go with the GamePad. It looks very intuitive and seems to flow well with the whole idea of Wii U.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The thing is 269 lbs., which I assume is about as heavy as Solid Snake, so there's no excuse for his light weight.
HURM. According to the Metal Gear Wiki, Snake is 140 pounds. Eat a sandwich, Snake. He's as skinny as one apparently.

Oh, that's when he's an old man. Was 165 pounds in his Stronger days.

Still tiny.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's not even 1/2 year into production yet...

Based on the fact that it was less than 6, let alone 4, months into production, I should've known Nintendo wouldn't even mention Smash 4 this month. So here's my next input:

In Brawl, if you cast Pikmin Throw, the Purple Pikmin would strike 1 blow and knock the target away, whereas the other 4 colors would latch and score a chain of up to 6 blows. Now the first-look footage of Pikmin 3 has introduced Rock Pikmin, and there's a 90% chance that all the previous 5 Pikmin types will return in Pikmin 3. But because Rock Pikmin in the Pikmin 3 trailer only struck 1 blow on the Armored Mawdad before dropping to the ground, rather than latching onto enemies like the Purple Pikmin could, do any of you think Purple Pikmin will stay in Smash 4, but their single-blow function will be passed onto the Rock Pikmin?

Also, because it's only the 3rd season of Pikmin coming up, I don't think it wise to add a new captain in Smash 4 because 2 characters representing a series of 3 games is considered a flaw in Brawl (the Mother EarthBound series should NOT have had 2 characters representing it).

As for the first-look footage for New Super Mario Bros U, at least it's not a hoax like most of us thought back in the middle of 2011, but unless they replace retro Mario stages (the two Mushroom Kingdoms, Subcon, and Mushroomy Kingdom), do any of you think the New SMB subseries should get stage representation in Smash 4?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
In order:

Nintendo has confirmed that Whites and Purples will return in 3 (Yaaaaaay!).

Rock Pikmin should take the function of Purples, and Purples should now latch and do minor damage while increasing the target's weight.

While I agree that a second captain is not necessary for Smash 4, Mother is perfectly fine with two reps. Pikmin would be too, but it should happen later rather than sooner.

I would almost bet money that the NSMB series will get featured as the "Mushroom Kingdom" stage.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
HURM. According to the Metal Gear Wiki, Snake is 140 pounds. Eat a sandwich, Snake. He's as skinny as one apparently.

Oh, that's when he's an old man. Was 165 pounds in his Stronger days.

Still tiny.
well, how tall is snake.

You don't know if it's a healthy weight until you compare it to how tall he is

-J-

Smash Rookie
I would almost bet money that the NSMB series will get featured as the "Mushroom Kingdom" stage.
So true. I'm betting money on some major Galaxy representation as well. The backdrops in NSMBU do look really nice and vibrant, and that "standard" grassy area's chalky backdrop really does it for me. I'd be fine with an NSMB-based stage, especially if they do it up the way they are with the Wii U title.

I also agree with your stance on how to include Rock Pikmin and set them apart from Reggie Purple Pikmin.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There isn't a single level in NSMB that's iconic enough to represent a replacement for "Mushroom Kingdom"

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
That's it, now I can call Purples nothing but Reggie Pikmin.

Also, I haven't really formally welcomed you, J. You seem very pleasant and agreeable, which is awesome.

So, welcome to the thread.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't know where you got that information Oasis, but I doubt Snake is 145-165 pounds, considering he looks about 6 feet tall.

I'm that height, and somewhat skinny, and I'm like 185 pounds! :laugh:
@John- I don't really care for "overrepresentation" or "representation" either. As long as you give me a cool character with a cool moveset that fits in Smash, then I'll be satisfied. For argument's sake, though, I'm only expressing my opinion over what I think overrepresentation "really is" as opposed to popular belief
Just give me relevant characters (as in no minor characters from a series; just the "important ones;" Pokémon is kinda sorta the exception) who add something to smash. Whether with a unique, revolutionary, or just plain ole' fun play style, moveset, or movement, I just want characters that make me want to play the game.

-J-

Smash Rookie
There isn't a single level in NSMB that's iconic enough to represent a replacement for "Mushroom Kingdom"
I'm thinking of something more along the lines of a non-moving NSMB stage, but not necessarily based off of any specific level, making it more along the lines of Melee or 64's Mushroom Kingdoms than anything, which, if I remember correctly, I could be dead wrong, weren't based off of any specific level in SMB or SMB2, but just off of the game itself. A set "New Mushroom Kingdom", or something along those lines with the aesthetics of New Super Mario Bros. but not necessarily based off of any specific level. ~could~ be expected.

Then again, so could a number of other things, so I'm not entering that debate (one might argue that the franchise of NSMB is representative of what's happening -now-, and the brand always sells quite well, so there'd be reason enough for some sort of reason to recognize it within the game). To each his or her own.

And for the record, I'd actually prefer a Super Mario World or SMB3 stage, but either which-way, it'd be something to be content over~

@GiantBreadbug - Thanks! :)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I actually think around Samus' weight would be perfect for Mewtwo.
[COLLAPSE="Click here for the image"]

[/COLLAPSE]'Nuff said.
LOL. It is very possible. We all already known Lucario and Mewtwo are totally different. Their moves, movement, and pretty much everything are different. So making Zoroark different from them, especially given his unique moves and him being a dark type, isn't that hard at all to imagine. Thus, it wouldn't take much of an effort to make Zoroark unique.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Solid Snake is 5'11 and 165 pounds, he is dang skinny. I was about that skinny when I grew like 3 inches like 5 years ago. Trust me, Snake is not that skinny, especially with those bulky legs, dat big booty, those huge arms, and the 50 pounds worth of weapons he carries around! :laugh:

Edit: With all those weapons Snake carries, 140 KG (approximately 300 pounds) would make sense as his weight! :laugh: He looks like he could be 200-240 pounds! :bee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom