• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakandsig

Smash Apprentice
I really don;t see a 3DS smash being a good idea, especially considring sales for 3DS game are just decent, and they seem to still be losing money on it, so it probably be either a downgraded console port or be like a small limited version a few characters and stages without an actual focus on gameplay.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would boost sales for both versions, don't underestimate a company's desperation for sales...
Super Smash Bros. 64 - 4.9 million units sold
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 7.09 million units sold
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 9.48 million units sold

Something tells me they'll do just fine on their own. I also doubt doing something that greedy is part of Sakurai's philosophy in game design.

I think some underestimate the selling power of portable games. It will be cheaper than the console version, on the much cheaper handheld, that will have already been on the market for a quite some time while. I would imagine more people will have a 3DS than a Wii U by the time Sm4sh is out. So, y'know, save yourself about $320 and just get Smash 3DS.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I just don't like the idea of having Ganondorf star KOed into my forehead.
KO'd off of the front of the screen in 3D is gonna look like the character is going to hit you in the face. XD

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't doubt that SSB3DS will to well. The game won't be released for years, and by then, 3DS will be common. It's not like the game is releasing next week or anything.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I don't know how I feel about customizable characters...
If you got a PSP, try playing some Dissidia & seeing if that changes your mind. That game is kind of a possible template for SSB3D's design.

EDIT: Wait, by customizable characters did you mean create-a-character a blank slate type or customizing the in-game roster? IE being able to customize the moves & attributes of Mario, Link, etc.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I honestly don't believe there will be version-exclusive characters, as Sakurai did say he wanted connectivity between the two in the sense that you work on and build a character in the 3DS version, and then transfer and use them in the Wii U version. I'm not saying people are wrong for thinking one version will have characters another version will not have, but it is unlikely unless Nintendo decides to go a somewhat different route with connectivity between the two versions.
The Wii U will have characters on it, no doubt. They won't do connection-only for Sm4sh Wii-U. It would drop sales like a mass of flies on their death beds. I still believe that Sakurai meant Custom Characters, which I hope be true. Imagine making your own character, with preset moves at first, but then you can buy moves, traits, and items for your character. Maybe even taunts and body mass! Just think of the endless possiblilties that would make a character interesting. Obviously, the moves would have to have a + and - effect, meaning that some moves can't be together. But still, it would be awesome.

I don't know how I feel about customizable characters...
If it's workability, think of Spore or Miis. Both prove great customization (I vote for something like Spore, though!).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope it means customizeable moves if anything, especially B moves would be nice.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I hope it means customizeable moves if anything, especially B moves would be nice.

I think he means a better sticker system. I'm guessing that the 3DS version is a single player like adventure game with better customization. From there, you can transfer those characters to a special mode in the Wii U game where you can use their powers. Would be the closest to what he said.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
My guess would be SmashChu is absolutely right to think it's a new sticker system.

(Brace yourselves, because this could be a really nooby first post.)

Let's say for instance the Wii U version has about 50 characters and the 3DS version debuts with only about 20. Naturally, the 3DS user is unhappy with some of the characters/stages/whatnot.

Could it be possible to temporarily dump the game info for one of them and download it for some of the Wii U ones? For example: I have King K. Rool on my 3DS and I have had enough of him. So I delete my K. Rool data and make room to download Lakitu from my Wii U's hard drive.

Wot say the people?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well I dunno about deleting them because some day you may regret that decision

But, otherwise, pretty cool idea, kinda like an idea I had before (where you could trade kombatants via wireless connectivity with the Wii U) :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
20 characters for 3DS? The 12 ones from 64, plus Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Ganon, Marth, Pit, Diddy and Meta Knight / King DeDeDe? How's that?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It would be much less convoluted to just put 50 characters on the 3DS version too, instead of coming up with some kind of download service on the Wii U version.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
@Overlord: Notice I said 'temporary,' so you wouldn't technically be destroying a character. And yes, you might regret it so that's why you would take them back if you felt like it.

@Diddy: It's just a number.

@Oasis: Having the same number on each would be nice. I agree. But is it possible?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would love for this version of the game to be like, 25 characters, with an extremely balanced cast. Something which we know we won't be seeing in SSBWiiU

I don't think it will happen...but it would be nice...

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi,
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Wario, Kirby, King Dedede
Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Marth, Little Mac
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Nook, Olimar
Samus, Ridley, Captain Falcon, Fox, Ness

Something like that? Meh. I CAN DREAM.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
KO'd off of the front of the screen in 3D is gonna look like the character is going to hit you in the face. XD

The first of many reasons why sm4sh 3DS will be amazing.

My idea is, the portable version will have only the multi-player modes, as well as maybe target tests and the like. If they include another long one player thing, that'll be Wii-U exclusive. then the multiplayer content can be identical, and can interact with the Wii-U version. hell, maybe you'll even be able to have matches with the 3DS as a controller.

Exclusive characters, I think that'd just be a **** move, I don't really see it happening.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I would love for this version of the game to be like, 25 characters, with an extremely balanced cast. Something which we know we won't be seeing in SSBWiiU

I don't think it will happen...but it would be nice...

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi,
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Wario, Kirby, King Dedede
Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Marth, Little Mac
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Nook, Olimar
Samus, Ridley, Captain Falcon, Fox, Ness

Something like that? Meh. I CAN DREAM.
I took your poll. It needs more Lakitu. That is all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
On the subject of trophies and stickers, should it have Melee's lottery or Brawl's Coin Launcher? How many trophies and stickers should they have as oppossed to Brawl's 545-550 for each?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I took your poll. It needs more Lakitu. That is all.
lol. No it doesn't.

Oh, and I hate to crap all over the Roy remake idea, but it isn't anything new:

TTK:
Oh, and the possibility of a remake of Roy's game as Toise posted up.
The rumor has been around since AT LEAST '09. Doesn't mean it isn't happening (See Kirby's Return to DreamLand) but it feels a little less credible if it's been around this long.

yani

Smash Lord
On the subject of trophies and stickers, should it have Melee's lottery or Brawl's Coin Launcher? How many trophies and stickers should they have as oppossed to Brawl's 545-550 for each?
I'd prefer the lottery over the launcher because once you have a high amount of trophies you can waste endless amounts of time getting the last few you're missing. At least with the lottery the percent of getting a new trophy increased as you put in more coins.

I don't really care how many stickers there are, but I'd love to see lots of trophies (1,000:awesome:). I'm expecting around 750ish or so though.

liampareis

Smash Rookie
When is it out??

Just wondering if there is anything besides speculation on when the 3ds version will be out...

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
Why not both the launcher and the lottery? You could switch between stickers (assuming they return for the new game) and trophies for the lottery or you could play the coin launcher for both.

pikmingrapeandrape

Smash Cadet
A little off topic, but do you guys think there is a slight chance that SSB3DS and SSBWIIU will be packaged together instead of being sold seperately???

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
The 3DS version Needs an improved Single player mode, Everyone will be playing multiplayer on the Wii U... ...whether it's 3D or not.

-Full fledged customizable Adventure mode as prominent feature...
-multiple cutscenes with some dialogue, both spoken, and written on bottom screen..
-Expertly designed event matches
-Boss Battle mode
-possible 3D overworld hub for level selecton styled like Animal Crossing or Mario&Sonic
-DLC and Streetpass/Spotpass custom stages and event matches...
-Minigame modes like N64 platforms, Target test, Home Run, Race to the finish, and more.
-AllStar mode should allow Heart containers instantly accessed on touch screens
-Touch screen item & power-up storage in Adventure & other modes using customizations

-N64 stages should return, the total of other stages should be 25 or less.
-We only need about 30-35 characters on 3DS
-Up to 3 third party characters, but no 3rd party stages
-Trophies should allow AR Trophy veiwing, and AR 3D photos.
[/SIZE]

-Ness/Lucas version exclusives
-Roy on 3DS
-Marth/Ike on Wii-U
-updated Ocarina of Time 3D models used in 3DS version...
-Toon Link & Tetra, on Wii U

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Possibly Zoroark with the attack thief...
...you have to admit if they made it harder to knock items out of a character's hands
Thief would make Zoroark the perfect item grabber... stealing items in one attack, even ATs, and even catch thrown items that usually can't be caught!
Illusion Taunt that copies the taunt of the nearest character...

Mewtwo would also be good to return to the series, if his stats are more like in the PAL version. Sakurai should extend the amount of characters allowed per series to 5
(For some reason Mario Spin-offs seem to count as a separate series)

pikmingrapeandrape A little off topic, but do you guys think there is a slight chance that SSB3DS and SSBWIIU will be packaged together instead of being sold seperately???
That's a horrible idea... Many people with a Wii U will not own a 3DS, and many people with a 3DS will not own a Wii U... It would only make things more expensive... But a 3DS system packaged with SSB3D would be nice, and a Wii U that comes with SSB Wii-U, & a SSB64 download. I'm all for system packages...
but bundling games for two different systems is a horrible idea...

It's like trying to bundle both non-electric and Electronic 3D glasses at the same time...

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
'I can’t really say anything until things settle down with Kid Icarus… And a lot of it will depend on the team that I end up assembling for Smash Bros. It may take a while, but I think that your patience will be rewarded."

Sakurai stated this in a recent interview.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
2 questions:

1) Is the 3DS more high-tech/powerful than the GameCube? I understand this to have bearing on whether the character and stage count should be in the 20's or 30's.

2) Eiji Aonuma is apparently trying not to remake Majora's Mask before finishing the all-new 3DS Zelda; he doesn't want a franchise to have 2 remakes in a row. That happened with the Fire Emblem series on the DS hardware subseries. I can't count on Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, or any of their 2nd parties to make an all-new Fire Emblem game anytime soon. If Marth's arc was remade for the DS, why would adding a new character from Dark Dragon & Sword of Light or Mystery of the Emblem to the 3DS installment (ex. the villain Medeus) be a bad idea?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
1) It's probably about equal to the GameCube depending on what you mean by POWERFUL, but I think what matters most for what you're concerned with is the space on the 3DS's cartridge, which has the capacity to reach 8 GB (so far most games only use 2 GB, save for MGS3D which uses 4 GB). THAT IS, the size of a dual layer Wii disc.

2) The next Fire Emblem is coming out in April in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom