• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I'm fairly certain Iwata (or Sakurai) said that they've always viewed handheld gaming as a more "personalized experience". I've always viewed this to mean the 3ds smash would have more personal, single-player modes, while the Wii U version would contain all the console party gaming fun you'd expect from a smash title.

EDIT: Haha yeah, what I said is in the OP :lol:

Sven

Smash Rookie
The 3DS in its current form isn't suitable for a smash game. The system is too stiff, unfriendly, and requires you to hold it in a certain way just for acceptable visual quality.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS in its current form isn't suitable for a smash game. The system is too stiff, unfriendly, and requires you to hold it in a certain way just for acceptable visual quality.
eehh... you can always turn off the 3d effect

Characters I see as WTF Characters

With WTF Characters I mean characters, that are NOT Videogame characters per se but represent "other" Nintendo properties

Game & Watch
ROB
Hanafuda player
Mii
Nester (Comic Book Character)
Captain N (Animated TV Show character)
Diskun (Famicon Disk System Logo)
Sheriff (Arcade system character)

Sukapon, Tingle and Laughing Dog are just video game characters. It doesn't make sense to combine them with those. These are just obscure and strange

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
My main problem about not having a universal roster is I don't want my favorite character to be 3DS exclusive or some ish like that.

:phone:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The 3DS is perfect. The 3DS has good online, is reliable, and has good controls. The only thing I worry about is the visual effects and whether the game can be "different enough" from smash bros. Wii U. If it can, it should be a rockin' game! :grin:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ Let us hope that Nintendo's Wii U raises the console standard bar. There is no reason why the Wii U shouldn't be better at dang near everything than the PS3 or Xbox 360. The 3DS shows Nintendo is more serious about their online and hardware than at the start of the seventh generation of gaming; let us hope that seriousness continues.

Serious business = serious hardware = seriously awesome game = seriously a lot of money for Nintendo = serious fun for us = Ganondorf curb stomping a pony! Lolu wut? :grin:

Tsubame

Smash Cadet
^ Let us hope that Nintendo's Wii U raises the console standard bar. There is no reason why the Wii U shouldn't be better at dang near everything than the PS3 or Xbox 360. The 3DS shows Nintendo is more serious about their online and hardware than at the start of the seventh generation of gaming; let us hope that seriousness continues.

Serious business = serious hardware = seriously awesome game = seriously a lot of money for Nintendo = serious fun for us = Ganondorf curb stomping a pony! Lolu wut? :grin:
I totally agree good sir!!

Especially with Ganon curb stomping a pony!!

crap2008

Smash Rookie
Since this is the personalized version, what would be of the online modes? All I want for the portable version is a 1 vs. 1 mode. It just seems right.

Tsubame

Smash Cadet
[COLLAPSE="my layton moveset"]

Professor layton will be an all round middleweight, middlepower character that needs some strategical insight.

His stats will be:

Weight: 2/5
Height: 3/5
jumps: 3/5
power: 2.5/5
speed: 3/5
range: 3,5/5

Though his stats all look boring and standard he'll actually be a fun character to play and won't be easy to smash off the stage but won't be that hard to, while he will have moderate power to defend himself.

most of his A attacks will be involving his rapier that he will ofcourse bring with him.
but his specials will involve his inventions he made in his games.

MOVELIST:

STANDARD ATTACKS:

N a: just a quick nimble side slash diagonally downwards that doesn't do any knockback and around 1 > 2 percent damage.

N aa: part 2 of a 3 hit combo, he makes another fast slash the opposite way of his first hit so diagonally downwards, it will hit for 2 percent.

N aaa: the final hit of his N a combo, layton will make a quick small spin to backhand slice his opponent, he holds his hat while doing this so it doesn't fall off.

side tilt: layton will take a quick step forward while sweeping his rapier upwards (backhand) it's an attack similar to marths side tilt, layton wil again be holding his hat on his head. it will do around 5 percent damage.

U tilt: the professor will make a quick slash up that doesn't do much damage (around 3 percent) and even smaller knockback it will be a move that's excellent for juggling.

D Tilt: layton will do a small stab to the ground that will make enemies trip from time to time, a little similar to metaknights D tilt, but no forward momentum

SMASH ATTACKS:

F smash:

layton will stab forward with his rapier with considerable speed, it will do 13 percent uncharged and 19 charged, it can be aimed a little. Again he will hold his hat :D

U smash: layton will use his propellocopter hat (more about this in the specials section) to suck an enemy above him in a little and then launch him, more of a damage dealer. it's multiple hit and will do around 16 percent uncharged and 21 percent charged, but not much knockback. will kill charged around 115 percent.

D smash:

the professor slashes in front of him then behind him in a little downward angle.
it's very fast and will deal moderate damage (around 14 percent uncharged) and moderate knockback.

SPECIALS:

There we are, how are we going to fill in the professors specials, this is my vision:

Neutral special: slot machine gun

Layton will pull out his homemade slotmachine gun (as known from the series) and start charging it ( like sheik charges her needles) he can charge up to 4 times and each charge will contain 3 slot machine bullets with each bullet dealing very little knockback and one percent damage.
the last bullet that comes out will deal a little more knockback and damage but still not that much.

the thing about it is, you'll be able to shoot one slotmachine amo pack at a time! (optional) so youll have four times if you chose so! ofcourse you can shoot all charges at one time.

when in the air layton will shoot with a downwards angle.

Side special: tea

the professor holds out a cup of tea and pours it on the spot in front of him, the tea will stay there for a while and will give opponents extremely high trip rate and while tripping the opponent slides slightly forward due to the tea being slippy

when smashing the stick while pressing b he will throw the tea further (like normal throwing a middleweight item)

this attack is extremly tactical.

Up special: Propellocopter hat

Professor laytons hat will open up on top and show a propellor wich you can slightly stir. the attack won't deal damage from beneath but can push enemies aside from the top while damaging slightly (2 percent) depending on wich side they come at you. after using it layton doesn't enter helpless mode.

Down special: camera

Layton will pull out his good ol' camera and flash with it, leaving the opponent in front of him dazed and confused for about 2 seconds. when using it in the air layton wil angle slightly downward while using the camera. when using the camera again the opponent will take light knockback and 4 percent damage.

ARIALS:

layton has a stunning arial game and moves well in the air.

Neutral air:

The professor will do a quick spin dealing 12 percent damage and great knockback on the first frame.
after the first frame the professor will deal 7 percent and little knockback.

Front air:

a marthish slice comes out while being slightly slower, it's also slightly more powerfull and is a great attack for chasing the opponent of the stage! it deals 8 percent and great knockback.

Back air:

a slice that's extremely quick and will deal about 5 percent damage and moderate knockback, a great attack for WOPing.

Down air:

the professor will stab his rapier downwards with tremendous force, coming out as quickly as ness' Dair. it will spike your opponent while doing 11 percent damage.

OTHER:

taunts:

his taunts will involve pulling out a cup of tea and saying: ahh refreshing isn't it?

looking at the screen in a thinking pose and dusting off his hat (while it's still on his head ofcourse)

his winning scene's will ofcourse involve his signature pose while saying: Consider this puzzle solved!!
holding onto his hat and saying: i won't leave any puzzle unsolved!
and actually clapping for his opponents while saying: You fought extremly well!

FINAL SMASH

puzzle

professor layton will tell a puzzle and his opponent's will be completely stunned because of the sheer difficulty this final smash will have about the same effect as luigi's final smash (in terms of the effects) but will take slightly shorter to end. though the area of effect is the complete stage.

that is al ^^

[/COLLAPSE]

What does everyone think about my professor layton moveset?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
well anyone think individual break the targets and board the platform will be back since the focus is more on a personalized game?

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
[COLLAPSE="my layton moveset"]
[/COLLAPSE]

What does everyone think about my professor layton moveset?
For a logic/puzzle game, your Layton moveset focusses too heavily on slashes with his rapier. At least his smash attacks should be more based in his puzzle games. Like his down smash could be moving small trains around by pointing them out, with the trains damaging the opponents.

like this here

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
Since this is the personalized version, what would be of the online modes? All I want for the portable version is a 1 vs. 1 mode. It just seems right.
I liked this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29888917&postcount=1159

It should be the opposite tbh.

Make the handheld version strictly/mostly single player based, no-one wants to play Smash multiplayer on a handheld. It's like playing Super Street Fighter IV on 3DS as opposed to 360/PS3.

Smash Bros is meant to be played on one screen with a bunch of friends. If you want a single player based experience, pick up the 3DS version. Unlockable trophies, stickers and all that other bull**** await. If you want a multiplayer game, pick up the Wii U version. Imagine if the Wii U team focused specifically on 50+ characters, balancing, alt costumes, stages, music and NETCODE. All the other extraneous bull**** that no once cares about after a week is left on the 3DS. I really wish Nintendo thought like this.

Instead, they'll be balanced, and we'll more than likely get way more single player than anyone asked for. Like in Brawl =/
3DS version should really make use of personalized characters that the player customize to their liking throughout the extensive single-player campaign (that will this time be the focus, and thus a lot better than what we got in brawl).
In addition to every character being customizable, they could add one unique Mii/Ditto character which you have even further customization available for - allowing you to chose its B-moves and more.

Now, online wise for the 3DS you could add Co-op mode for the campaign, maybe even make it 4p, in addition to a variety of other multiplayer modes, some using customized characters and some using "plain" characters.

The Mii character could also be unique to the 3DS version (which would make sense if the 3DS version has an extensive campaign where you get all the customization from unlike the Wii U version which would focus on having more stages/characters/trophies/minigames/challenges/customizable stages) and uploadable to the Wii U game for either normal local/online play (or just a particular mode if it would be imbalanced).

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am so against the inclusion of a mii, such a bland character

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
The mii character is best suited for the role of the customizable character that can be uploaded to the Wii U.
I mean, you could use Ditto instead but you'd lose out on fun of being able to chose any Mii character and turn them into a fighter.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I love the idea of a single-player based Smash Bros. for 3DS. This is really something that Sakurai and co. should consider.

The handheld Smash series could innovate single-player in fighting games in the same way the console versions innovated multiplayer in fighting games.

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
There are plenty of ways to differentiate between the 3DS and Wii U smash.
Making Single-player the focus of the 3DS game while multi-player is the focus of the Wii U game is probably the best way to go about it.

3DS version
  • Extensive Single-player campaign that take the best known maps and levels from a multitude of nintendo (and 3rd party, if they have a character included) games, that better highlights and shows off the long and rich history of Nintendo games.
  • Customization to an almost extreme degree: Each character can alter their moves and abilities as they progress through the campaign, incorporating old trademark abilities (such as the mario fludd, the mario cape, the mario spin) and new ones created just for the campaign.
  • High-re-playability on the single-player modes, with each character experiencing the single-player campaign in a different way (enemies react differently, abilities allow you to take alternative passages, unique levels for all characters.) All the collected moves and abilities can be used to create a completely unique character, whether it's through a Mii or a character creator, for a re-run of the campaign.
  • 1-3 additional friends can jump into your campaign at any time to help you out, whether they're in the same room or connected to you through the Nintendo online service.
  • Gather trophies, stickers, songs and even some exclusive maps that can be transferred to the Wii U version to be shown off.

Wii U verson

• While the rooster between the two versions are the same, the Wii U version has a superior number of items, stages, alternative costumes and assist trophies.
  • Online and challenge modes that aren't restricted to pure fighting games. Jump into a level of Super mario bros and race to the flag, enter a top-down Zelda dungeon and solve the puzzle and much more.
  • Take advantage of the Upad controller in a number of exclusive game modes that are not possible on any other system such as Boss-mode, where a player uses the Upad controller with it's touchscreen to control a boss that cannot be controlled through standard controllers, and Crazy Stage-mode, where a player uses the Upad controller to literally control the stage 1-4 other players are playing on.
  • Great emphasis on multiplayer both locally and online, with ladders for a number of modes.
  • Import your customized character from the 3DS version and face off against your friends or against strangers online in a special mode and ladder.
  • Show off and play other imported 3DS material.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
you mean to have a completely side-scrolling adventure game on the 3DS? like, no VS?

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
you mean to have a completely side-scrolling adventure game on the 3DS? like, no VS?
I didn't really think of that, but I guess that might be interesting.
I doubt they would go through with a completely single-player game though, for a variety of good reasons.

What I expect, and wouldn't mind, is a slightly less comprehensive VS, with a lot more focus on customizable characters and showing off stuff (hidden abilities, costumes, etc) you've found in the single-player campaign.

It'll be quite a balancing act to differentiate between the two versions fully, and also to balance out the workload.
If the 3DS version has a very extensive single-player mode as has been hinted, then will it really be feasible to flesh out the VS modes as well?

Sure, there's some sort of cross development occurring between the Wii U and 3DS but considering the vast difference between the two consoles power wise I doubt it'd be a piece of cake to just port over all the VS stuff developed for the Wii U.

army man

Smash Ace
yeah you're right since the DS is advertised for more of a personal playing experience, i guess it would make more sense if it were more 1 player oriented. but it still needs multiplayer.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
why would you pay so much for it? It was never that expensive, who did make up that number anyway? I bought it on launch day and I paid 220 € for it, and got a game for free with it. And now it costs just 160-170 $

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's good I guess. I mean, what are you looking for? If you want to play some Nintendo titles buy a 3DS, if you want to play titles that are geared more towards Sony, wait for a Vita.

It's a pretty good system, for a handheld.

Life

Smash Hero
I only have the OOT remake and it's really good. The system itself isn't bad, it just doesn't have much in the way of "killer apps" quite yet. The 3D itself is awesome in some situations and annoying in others, but by like a 90:10 ratio.

Looking forward to Kid Icarus and Mario, m'self.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Why can't Nintendo make a serious system like the PS3 or 360?
They keep throwing out junk that "wows" with movement and 3d systems
but disappoints in gameplay and graphics. We get that you can shake it to
make it do stuff. That was what the wii did. Nothing new.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I would never recommend shaking a handheld device like you shake a wii-mote.

And really? Is the Wii not serious? I would have agreed, if I haden't 20 Wii Games.
Or do you need God of War on your Console to call it serious?

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
Just a heads up, you can in some Walmart and Best buy shops get the 3DS for $169.9 and and get the 20 free games that you get by connecting your 3DS to the eShop up until the 11th of August.

Kantrip

Kantplay
That's the point. Some stores have the reduced price already in effect and you still get the free games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom