• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
IMO the roster will rank aound 25-30 on the 3DS and 30-45 on wii U.
30-45 on the Wii U?

I know that there are people who are going to expect really large rosters that just aren't realistic, but you're undercutting it. I honestly don't think there is anyway in the world that the roster would be smaller than Brawl's. I think that 45 - 50 is a much safer bet for the final roster.

I still don't know what exactly to expect from the 3DS game's roster, though. Nobody's really ever been clear on how powerful the 3DS really is in this regard.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i'm positive that it's as powerful as the wii. The rosters for each version will probably not be very different only thing i coud say that might change is the stage list between the 2 at launch. Which eventually each version could have the same stage list through DLC updates maybe.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
From my calculations, the 3DS is 117% as powerful as the Gamecube. This still absolutely pales in comparison to the Wii, though. Haven't bothered with calcs, but I'd guesstimate at like, what, 50% the power of the Wii? The Wii has more power than you think, people. Brawl also takes over 4GB of data ONLY for the multiplayer half of the game, where 3DS carts have a current Nintendo restriction of 2GB (even though the carts are capable of holding 8GB....).

Its possible to have every Melee and Brawl Character, sure, but in return there'd be no single player mode and the graphics would have to be worse than Melee's to balance it out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From my calculations, the 3DS is 117% as powerful as the Gamecube. This still absolutely pales in comparison to the Wii, though. Haven't bothered with calcs, but I'd guesstimate at like, what, 50% the power of the Wii? The Wii has more power than you think, people. Brawl also takes over 4GB of data ONLY for the multiplayer half of the game, where 3DS carts have a current Nintendo restriction of 2GB (even though the carts are capable of holding 8GB....).

Its possible to have every Melee and Brawl Character, sure, but in return there'd be no single player mode and the graphics would have to be worse than Melee's to balance it out.
From what I read, it looks like the 3DS version with not have multi-player, instead being a single player game

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
3DS will obviously have multiplayer. Wireless connection play people.

It WAS said that it would be more focused on single player because it's connectivity is limited. Of course it will still have Multiplayer, nobody would buy a single-player only smash.

D

Deleted member

i would throw in everyone from brawl and melee on top of that list seeing the 3DS is as strong if not stronger than the wii in terms of power it has and include maybe megaman from capcom. I really honestly don't see the character list being different between versions. Sure it could happen but then again they could eventually be added as DLC characters.
For the 3DS, you're expecting way too much. We certainly won't be seeing a 3DS roster over 30 for sure and we could very well see less then 20. Even I think that 24 characters could be a stretch to maintain.
Since someone else mentioned characters, I will too.

I'll try to make a prediction for characters in 2011, long before we know anything. I assume no one will be cut besides Snake and Sonic and there will be no third party characters. New characters are

Little Mac
Toad
Palutena
Medusa
Shulk
Dixie Kong
T-Rex (Fossile Fighter)
Mii
Zoroark
Samurai Gohor
Ridley
Takamaru

I'm sure I could think up number 13, but this is good for now. Just want to see how close I am later on.
Is this for the Wii-U or 3DS? If Wii-U, it should be placed there. If for the 3DS, with the exception of third-party characters being removed, that sounds incredibly unrealistic.
We won't see the toon link leaving, instead I think we will seen toon Zelda/sheik making an appearance

:phone:
Why so? People would be in uproar if the Link that we all know and love got replaced, myself included. There is no room for more then two Zelda rep, which I myself am in doubt of even receiving more then one.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

Actually, not all games are restricted. There was an article on how MGS3 for the 3DS would be using 4 GB carts. I'm sure Nintendo could do the same.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The 3DS is more powerful than the gamecube and has more memory.

You can indeed have Link, Toon Link, Ganon, as well as Zelda/Sheik. Toon Zelda/Sheik is a bit of a stretch though. I don't think it's happening.

EditL Huh....

Well hopefully they start letting game makers use all 8 GB. Seriously. You could actually get a full 40+ character roster with melee graphics on the 3DS if let let them use it.

D

Deleted member

The 3DS is more powerful than the gamecube and has more memory.

You can indeed have Link, Toon Link, Ganon, as well as Zelda/Sheik. Toon Zelda/Sheik is a bit of a stretch though. I don't think it's happening.

EditL Huh....

Well hopefully they start letting game makers use all 8 GB. Seriously. You could actually get a full 40+ character roster with melee graphics on the 3DS if let let them use it.
If the game gets finished before the Wii-U version, which will probably come out in 2014, I don't see it happening. Otherwise, it's possible, but I'm not sure we can expect it to happen as I don't really see many good handheld characters for SSB4 aside from Issac and Starfy.

D

Deleted member

I'm saying the roster is the same for both.
Why do you think the roster will be the same for both? I highly doubt Nintendo would put in as many characters in the 3DS version as they would with the Wii-U version, considering that the Wii-U version has 25 GB to work with whereas the 3DS version has 8 GB. It would require N64 graphics to get 45 characters (Not including transformations) in.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Why do you think the roster will be the same for both? I highly doubt Nintendo would put in as many characters in the 3DS version as they would with the Wii-U version, considering that the Wii-U version has 25 GB to work with whereas the 3DS version has 8 GB. It would require N64 graphics to get 45 characters (Not including transformations) in.
Street Fighter IV is a 2GB game with 35 characters, each with his/her own fully animated ending & the characters themselves were on par with their 360 versions. You're strongly underestimating the system here & overestimating how much space any given character would take.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The rosters being the same for both is redic. You have this beast WiiU with a so much more potential than the Wii, who is limited to the restraints of the 3DS?

No.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Brawl is actually less than 8 I believe (like 7.something. I'll have to look up the ISO). Most of it isn't the characters but the SSE and the cutscenes.

Also, just for the record, there wont be more than 50 characters for this game (individual characters of course. Not counting the transformations).

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Hi guys.

The characters, the stages, and the physics will be the exact same between both games.

That's another $1000 Toise wager if you kids are interested.

D

Deleted member

Brawl is actually less than 8 I believe (like 7.something. I'll have to look up the ISO). Most of it isn't the characters but the SSE and the cutscenes.

Also, just for the record, there wont be more than 50 characters for this game (individual characters of course. Not counting the transformations).
- The problem with the 3DS version is that since a lot of it's focus is going to be on the single-player, we can expect a story on it to be as big, if not more so then Subspace Emissary. There's also the fact that the game will almost certainly have at least a basic format of multi-player and other stuffs included You're going to be hard pressed to get all 45 characters plus other stuffs the team would include on the 3DS.

- You have a point there, although I'm not sure why this relates to my argument. I never said we would have a very large roster, just that I think the Wii-U version will be larger then the 3DS version. It only makes sense as it doesn't limit either versions.

One thing I want to bring up is that the Wii-U and 3DS are not being worked at by the same team, therefore, different characters rosters are much more likely then you think.[quote='MAtgSy"]Street Fighter IV is a 2GB game with 35 characters, each with his/her own fully animated ending & the characters themselves were on par with their 360 versions. You're strongly underestimating the system here & overestimating how much space any given character would take.[/quote]It is a good port, but it's still inferior to the PS3/360 versions, with a few modes having to be cut out. Also, the 3DS version does have slightly worse visuals.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
- The problem with the 3DS version is that since a lot of it's focus is going to be on the single-player, we can expect a story on it to be as big, if not more so then Subspace Emissary. There's also the fact that the game will almost certainly have at least a basic format of multi-player and other stuffs included You're going to be hard pressed to get all 45 characters plus other stuffs the team would include on the 3DS.
The cutscenes are what made the SSe so big. They can easily fit it into 8 gigs without them. Also, the graphics will not be as good as Brawl.

- You have a point there, although I'm not sure why this relates to my argument. I never said we would have a very large roster, just that I think the Wii-U version will be larger then the 3DS version. It only makes sense as it doesn't limit either versions.
More space does not equal more characters. I doubt we'd see more than 50 characters, and that is pushing it.

One thing I want to bring up is that the Wii-U and 3DS are not being worked at by the same team, therefore, different characters rosters are much more likely then you think.It is a good port, but it's still inferior to the PS3/360 versions, with a few modes having to be cut out. Also, the 3DS version does have slightly worse visuals.
No, they are the same team. Read the first page of the Wii U thread. Even still, Sakurai is working on both of them.

Hi guys.

The characters, the stages, and the physics will be the exact same between both games.

If people actually took your bets, you'd be a rich man.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The rosters being the same for both is redic. You have this beast WiiU with a so much more potential than the Wii, who is limited to the restraints of the 3DS?

No.
& what precisely will they be doing with that power? Just what kind of character wasn't possible in past games? I mean I could imagine super elaborate stages but what could top PT & Zelda/Shiek? A constantly shape shifting Ditto? That's all I can come up with. Any other viable character for SSB can totally be done on the 3DS version.

Or do you think they would honestly fill a blu-ray to brim with characters? Trust me, disc space is NOT the main reason for roster size, not even remotely. They would be working on the game for DECADES before they fill 25GB on characters alone. Balance, time & budget are the big determining factors of game design.

Plus if the 2 versions are suppose to interact with each other then they kinda HAVE to have identical rosters. The connectivity is a higher priority than sheer horsepower.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
& what precisely will they be doing with that power? Just what kind of character wasn't possible in past games? I mean I could imagine super elaborate stages but what could top PT & Zelda/Shiek? A constantly shape shifting Ditto? That's all I can come up with. Any other viable character for SSB can totally be done on the 3DS version.

Or do you think they would honestly fill a blu-ray to brim with characters? Trust me, disc space is NOT the main reason for roster size, not even remotely. They would be working on the game for DECADES before they fill 25GB on characters alone. Balance, time & budget are the big determining factors of game design.

Plus if the 2 versions are suppose to interact with each other then they kinda HAVE to have identical rosters. The connectivity is a higher priority than sheer horsepower.
All I'm saying is the power difference between the two games is considerable. If you can find time to add different/more character than that's rediculous. I realize the WHOLE DISC isn't taken up by characters. Sub Space took up a lot of Brawl. Hopefully that never returns.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202

Dang it! i don't got that kinda dough! it wouldn't matter though, cuz i agree

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm also going to say that the roster is going to be the same for both. If there is going to be version exclusives, there is going to be Wii-U exclusives.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm also going to say that the roster is going to be the same for both. If there is going to be version exclusives, there is going to be Wii-U exclusives.
I agree.

I would say this would prevent 3DS users from going online to play against Wii U users, but only if there's a 3DS update that would scrap friend codes.

D

Deleted member

I'm kind of hoping for exclusives only on the Wii-U versions or lots of exclusives for both the 3DS and Wii-U version.

Another thing to discuss, how will 3D effects be used in the game?

I think that the 3D effects will be used for at least to give a pop-up/depth view of the occasional moments when a character being knocked to the sky comes down to cover most of the scene.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I had a crazy idea but this could happen in Smash 3DS.

What if Smash 3DS was all about your Mii character? You play games and challenges in order to earn new moves and stats for your character. Not only fighting but challenges like board the platforms, shoot the targets, etc. It would be like the challenges in Brawl but instead of trophies and stickers you get special moves and fighting styles.

Then you can transfer your Mii on over to Wii U and test him out. Granted this would make Smash 3DS a Mii only game but you would have a completely customizeable character to use.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I actually heard that they can put 50 chars in the 3DS version if they wanted to but then they'd have to limit other things like stages and other features.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I had a crazy idea but this could happen in Smash 3DS.

What if Smash 3DS was all about your Mii character? You play games and challenges in order to earn new moves and stats for your character. Not only fighting but challenges like board the platforms, shoot the targets, etc. It would be like the challenges in Brawl but instead of trophies and stickers you get special moves and fighting styles.

Then you can transfer your Mii on over to Wii U and test him out. Granted this would make Smash 3DS a Mii only game but you would have a completely customizeable character to use.
good lord. Don't kill me with your ideas.
Granted: A customizable Mii character in DS doesn't sound bad, but Mii only?!? Dear god, no! I need my Nintendo characters in Smash. I could live with a Mario Smash Spinoff (live? hell YEAH), a Pokemon Smash Spinoff (my dreams would come true), or any kind of Spinoff except a Smash Mii Spinoff

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
good lord. Don't kill me with your ideas.
Granted: A customizable Mii character in DS doesn't sound bad, but Mii only?!? Dear god, no! I need my Nintendo characters in Smash. I could live with a Mario Smash Spinoff (live? hell YEAH), a Pokemon Smash Spinoff (my dreams would come true), or any kind of Spinoff except a Smash Mii Spinoff
Well I was thinking of having a fully customizable character and the only two to do it is Mii's or Custom Robo. I didn't think Custom Robo was popular enough for it's own spin off game but it would work.

With custom Robo different parts would affect different specials and moves. For example,

Body: Would effect weight and fighting style (A moves)
Gun: Would effect his Standard B
Pods: Would effect his Forward B
Bombs: Would effect his Down B
Boots: Would effect his Up B

I don't know how that would work because I know you can make some broken characters with the current items available.

Now with the Mii's you have a bit more control on what moves they can have. The real draw into having Mii's is that you can make virtually any character you want. You could have You, Obama, Mickey Mouse, Anime characters, Miyamoto, and even Sakurai. Personally I want to make Captain N the Gamemaster.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
Well I was thinking of having a fully customizable character and the only two to do it is Mii's or Custom Robo. I didn't think Custom Robo was popular enough for it's own spin off game but it would work.

With custom Robo different parts would affect different specials and moves. For example,

Body: Would effect weight and fighting style (A moves)
Gun: Would effect his Standard B
Pods: Would effect his Forward B
Bombs: Would effect his Down B
Boots: Would effect his Up B

I don't know how that would work because I know you can make some broken characters with the current items available.

Now with the Mii's you have a bit more control on what moves they can have. The real draw into having Mii's is that you can make virtually any character you want. You could have You, Obama, Mickey Mouse, Anime characters, Miyamoto, and even Sakurai. Personally I want to make Captain N the Gamemaster.

hmmm, sorry, did I misunderstand you? I thought you meant, that there was only one playable character, namely Mii, at all in the game, instead of Mario, Link,....

Then yes, yes this is a good idea

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
hmmm, sorry, did I misunderstand you? I thought you meant, that there was only one playable character, namely Mii, at all in the game, instead of Mario, Link,....

Then yes, yes this is a good idea
Well yes and no. It would be very boring if it was just Mii's but they would be the only custom character available. So bascially instead of SSE you would have Mii adventure mode.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well yes and no. It would be very boring if it was just Mii's but they would be the only custom character available. So bascially instead of SSE you would have Mii adventure mode.
Now it's starting to sound like the adventure mode in Mortal Kombat Deception. That was horrid, mind you.

Generic character, uses the moves of other fighters.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Now it's starting to sound like the adventure mode in Mortal Kombat Deception. That was horrid, mind you.

Generic character, uses the moves of other fighters.
No no no. I played that game and I know what you mean. I'm talking about challenges and battles that unlock new moves and fighting style. They could do a currency system which you earn money for challenges and can buy fighting moves and styles. As long as the challenges are fun and interestings (like event mode and stadium stuff) it should be fine.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I think it'd be kinda neat if the Mii was an alternate costume for all the characters, that way you can play your main and your Mii :D

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Mii Bowser... cool. Mii Pit!! even cooler!! i haz wiingz!
Mii Kirby, now that's just plain weird.

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
Posted in the Wii U thread as well:

When it comes to online multiplayer I could see "customized" character (imported from the 3DS version or made from scratch) that use the touch screen for special moves and further customization.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
They should have a make your own character option. I'd love to design a signature character.
As much as I would LOVE for this to happen, I highly doubt that Sakurai would implement that idea into the game. Being generally a "Nintendo All-Stars" battleground with guest appearances, I don't see a Create-A-Character Mode being designed for the likes of the game.

If I'm wrong and they do make one, I'd love to see the customization of different body types, and not just human like it usually is. I'm thinking the following:
-"Toon" (Toon Link proportions)
-"Orb" (Kirby proportions)
-"Human" (Mario and Earthbound series human proportions)
-"Real is Tall" (Snake and other less cartoonified human proportions)
-"Beast" (Variations such as "Reptile" and "Ape" (Bowser and DK respectively), as well as "Quadruped" and "Biped" (Ivysaur and anyone else respectively). There'd be more options as well for characters like Pikachu or Squirtle.)
-"Wackjob" (Characters like G&W: An oddball design basically)
-"Robot/Armor" (Self-explanatory)
-"Furry" (Bipedal humanoid animals, like Fox and the gang (Also can be like Ganondorf's "Ganon" mode from OoT))

I'm probably forgetting a few, but these are the first ones that came to mind. Along with those, depending on the body type you choose you could give them a weapon or two to hold at all times, with a couple in your back pocket for specials. These weapons could be swords, staffs, blasters, and even more obscure weapons such as scythes and maces.

But, as I've said, I don't see a Crate-A-Character Mode for Smash anytime soon, if ever. The most we'll probably get is a slight customization of existing characters.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
They should have a make your own character option. I'd love to design a signature character.
While there's a promise that there will be an option to have custom characters, I really think that the whole customization will be really limited. Well probably just going to see the return of stickers, meaning that we are just going to be using modified versions of already existing characters.

Even if they let us create our own characters, it's probably just going to be the Miis, seeing how both systems will probably be using them. It'll be the easiest thing to do, in my opinion.

But you know, I've been thinking of something lately. Sakurai said that he wants to make the 3DS smash to be as personalized as possible right? In my mind, that means that a whole Adventure mode like SSE will be exclusive to the 3DS and the competitive and versus parts will be focused on the U version. In the 3Ds, you will be controlling a custom character made for the adventure, a Smasher M or Smasher F if you will, and you'll be able to suit him or her up with stickers and movesets as you progress and unlock new content. You can then send this character and unlock them in the U version and use them on and offline. That's what came in my mind when I first heard the announcement.

Buuuttt... We actually don't know what's going to happen. My money's on the first thing theory I typed.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
The stickers was limited in itself since they could only be used in SSE and you couldn't use more than one category/type. If the stickers do return, and I really don't much for them, they should at least make them more usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom