• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There is a lot wrong with that roster.
Explain please, I'm curious. There are a couple of changes I'd make, but I've not devised a solution to them, but I'd like to hear what you would change about it and why.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I think megaman would be a samus clone personally.
Wha...Huh?!

Is it Samus's robotic dog? Cause beyond the two of em' having robotic dogs, I can't see Mega Man and Samus being clones.

EDIT: That was sarcasm. Samus does not have a robotic dog.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is a lot wrong with that roster.
Like the fact that Waluigi is there and Wario isn't, the fact that Leon is even there period, etc. If they did decide to make a Smash Bros for the DS, I personally think they should focus on characters and franchises that have mainly appeared on Nintendo's handhelds. Golden Sun definately fits the bill as well as Nintendo/Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Custom Robo, etc.

NightVision

Smash Rookie
Apparently, ther was a group of people who were making ssbb ds by taking ssb64 and changing the graphics and stages and such, and they were almost finished, too. But then, stupid ol nintendo said that if they don't stop, they'll sue them. So the people stopped making it. That sucks, doesnt it?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Apparently, ther was a group of people who were making ssbb ds by taking ssb64 and changing the graphics and stages and such, and they were almost finished, too. But then, stupid ol nintendo said that if they don't stop, they'll sue them. So the people stopped making it. That sucks, doesnt it?
No, that's business.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Explain please, I'm curious. There are a couple of changes I'd make, but I've not devised a solution to them, but I'd like to hear what you would change about it and why.
I am typing on the Wii browser so it would be very hard for me to fully explain my difference in opinion about your roster.

However, I will say there are far better choices for a Mario newcomer than Waluigi. Examples of better choices include Paper Mario, Bowser Jr. Toad, and even Dr. Mario.

NightVision

Smash Rookie
Wha...Huh?!

Is it Samus's robotic dog? Cause beyond the two of em' having robotic dogs, I can't see Mega Man and Samus being clones.
Did you see the quote above my post? It said that he wanted megaman in ssb ds, so I said it would be a clone character. What would the moveset be? Charge shot? Nah, thats samus's.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I am typing on the Wii browser so it would be very hard for me to fully explain my difference in opinion about your roster.

However, I will say there are far better choices for a Mario newcomer than Waluigi. Examples of better choices include Paper Mario, Bowser Jr. Toad, and even Dr. Mario.
Yoshi would be fine simply because all but three of the games that Yoshi has starred in are on handhelds.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Did you see the quote above my post? It said that he wanted megaman in ssb ds, so I said it would be a clone character. What would the moveset be? Charge shot? Nah, thats samus's.
As far as I can tell, until I see Mega Man rolling up into a little Morph Bomb, pooping out bombs, and losing all his armor when his life depletes, no, I don't see the similarites, least not enough to even imagin Mega Man as a semi-clone, let alone clone, of Samus.

By that logic, Melee's Mewteo and Brawl's Lucario are clones of Samus.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Like the fact that Waluigi is there and Wario isn't, the fact that Leon is even there period, etc. If they did decide to make a Smash Bros for the DS, I personally think they should focus on characters and franchises that have mainly appeared on Nintendo's handhelds. Golden Sun definately fits the bill as well as Nintendo/Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Custom Robo, etc.
Advanced Wars and Custom Robo, characters I actually made the graphics for but completely forgot their addition.

Why shoot down Leon though (no Starfox pun intended)? Aside from the major Krystal fanbase, Leon has as much historic importance as she in terms of who should be included in the next Smash Bros. Wolf is Fox's rival, just as Leon is Falco's. It completes the ratio and balances out the Star Fox reps.

Waluigi was put in as a "temporary Wario replacement" to experiment with his potential. I was a bit iffy on the inclusion, but I'll mock up a new version of the roster.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yoshi would be fine simply because all but three of the games that Yoshi has starred in are on handhelds.
I think a DS Smash Bros. would have less slots than Melee, so I would say 25 would be the highest number for a DS Smash Bros. I think Spires's roster had far more than that.

NightVision

Smash Rookie
As far as I can tell, until I see Mega Man rolling up into a little Morph Bomb, pooping out bombs, and losing all his armor when his life depletes, no, I don't see the similarites, least not enough to even imagin Mega Man as a semi-clone, let alone clone, of Samus.

By that logic, Melee's Mewteo and Brawl's Lucario are clones of Samus.
good point.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Advanced Wars and Custom Robo, characters I actually made the graphics for but completely forgot their addition.

Why shoot down Leon though (no Starfox pun intended)? Aside from the major Krystal fanbase, Leon has as much historic importance as she in terms of who should be included in the next Smash Bros. Wolf is Fox's rival, just as Leon is Falco's. It completes the ratio and balances out the Star Fox reps.

Waluigi was put in as a "temporary Wario replacement" to experiment with his potential. I was a bit iffy on the inclusion, but I'll mock up a new version of the roster.
Waluigi hardly qualifies as a Wario character, especially considering he has yet to appear in a Wario game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think a DS Smash Bros. would have less slots than Melee, so I would say 25 would be the highest number for a DS Smash Bros. I think Spires's roster had far more than that.
If 26 (27 including the Random select) is far more than 25, then man, you got me!

Anyways, I've revamped the roster, which I feel is much more appropriate:

15 veterans, 11 newcomers = 26 characters, the same as Melee if including Sheik.

Charizard92

Smash Champion

Fitting

I thought Panther was Falco's rival, or does Falco have two rivals now? If he does, he makes enemies very easily.

Waluigi had no games of his own. He is only playable in Mario spin-offs to be the anti-Luigi.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Fitting

I thought Panther was Falco's rival, or does Falco have two rivals now? If he does, he makes enemies very easily.

Waluigi had no games of his own. He is only playable in Mario spin-offs to be the anti-Luigi.
Nah, Panther is as filler as Waluigi is. While I dislike Panther, I'm a softy for the man in purple, but including him on a roster is in poor taste altogether, so I've removed him.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
I think that smash ds would be interesting. I could see them making the final smash a usable through the touch screen. Like they would have the stock and damage %'s on the bottom of the screen as well as anything below the stage. And when ever you get a fs you have to tap a pattern on the touch screen or something like that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Why have Leon instead of Falco or Wolf?
For the sake of introducing another [in my opinion, needed] Starfox character. If there were a story mode to accompany this game, then perhaps Leon can come in and wreck some havoc and Fox would have to face him. Leon isn't a nobody, and this could be his chance to finally get some credit.

I think that smash ds would be interesting. I could see them making the final smash a usable through the touch screen. Like they would have the stock and damage %'s on the bottom of the screen as well as anything below the stage. And when ever you get a fs you have to tap a pattern on the touch screen or something like that.
Yeah, this is precisely what the bottom screen would be used for, and the pattern-required FS system would be nice. However, that's suggesting that you already have the stylus handy to do so, otherwise, you'd have to whip it out from its socket to perform the FS, and that could be distracting from the actual gameplay. Of course they could simply make pressing B the trigger to the FS, but your idea still stands as interesting.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
For the sake of introducing another [in my opinion, needed] Starfox character. If there were a story mode to accompany this game, then perhaps Leon can come in and wreck some havoc and Fox would have to face him. Leon isn't a nobody, and this could be his chance to finally get some credit.
Meh. We've barely known Falco and Wolf and we're already dropping them in favor of a character who is not only less important but seemingly doesn't have anything new to really offer. But anyway...

Forgive me for not reading through several pages of roster discussion, but is there a link to the actual interview?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Why have Leon instead of Falco or Wolf?
Still, Krystal would be the only other intelligent likely candidate if neither Falco or Wolf made it in.

Putting in one of Wolf's teammates without Wolf is...weird. Yes, I said it. The StarWolf crew doesn't have the same starpower that some of the StarFox crew has. And even then, you wouldn't put Falco before Fox. Fox & another StarFox member, and Wolf & another StarWolf member, and since this is supposed to be a small roster, more than likely it would have Fox, and if there were another SF series rep, Falco>Wolf>Krystal. Chain of command.

In another way; say we had only two reps from Super Mario; Mario and Waluigi. No, that'd be...weird.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
You know, Smash DS would probably have better WiFi....

But... It'd end up being a "slide the stylus quickly to smash!" and "tap your opponent to jab!" instead of solid controls.

But you never know.

I'm strongly against a lot of characters though. I think that Brawl's roster is almost too big, and a nice solid roster is better than loads of half-decent characters with terrible match-ups.

It's also comforting to know that we will be having more Smash games as long as the community thrives.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Forgive me for not reading through several pages of roster discussion, but is there a link to the actual interview?
Nopity Nope Nope. I highly doubt there even is an interview with Edge, what with Sakurai not too long ago doing one with Nintendo Power. I'm only playing along so I can discuss hypothetical ideas for a hypothetical game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Spire, you are a roster genius. =\

A few things to comment on as I was reading:

1: There are similarities between Samus and Megaman. Similarities like Wolf and Fox. Similar, but not even luigified clones anymore. Megaman wouldn't have missiles morph ball or a screw attack, but he would probably have a charge shot. Also, when you think about it, he would be very easy to make a design for. Just a few changes to Samus's frame, then paint it blue and give him a male human face and you have megaman. =\ I won't say Megaman is an exact replica, but I won't say he's unique and totally original.

Before anyone flames me for this, I despise Megaman. But I'm gonna be reasonable and say he has a fighting chance. Like Sonic.

2: I request a rule that Lucario and Mewtwo are never to be used in the same sentence as the word clone. Ever again. Ever. EVER. It kills kittens, puppies, and a random firstborn.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Spire, you are a roster genius. =\

A few things to comment on as I was reading:

1: There are similarities between Samus and Megaman. Similarities like Wolf and Fox. Similar, but not even luigified clones anymore. Megaman wouldn't have missiles morph ball or a screw attack, but he would probably have a charge shot. Also, when you think about it, he would be very easy to make a design for. Just a few changes to Samus's frame, then paint it blue and give him a male human face and you have megaman. =\ I won't say Megaman is an exact replica, but I won't say he's unique and totally original.

Before anyone flames me for this, I despise Megaman. But I'm gonna be reasonable and say he has a fighting chance. Like Sonic.

2: I request a rule that Lucario and Mewtwo are never to be used in the same sentence as the word clone. Ever again. Ever. EVER. It kills kittens, puppies, and a random firstborn.
A: uh, what do you call the similar special moves and final smash?

B: that could work

C: I h8 him too

D: it takes more than two moves to make someone even luigified, more like tweaked specials, a couple of similar standards, and a similar final smash (it takes at least two of the above to be a semi/luigified clone [Ex. Fox & Wolf have similar B moves and a similar final smash, yet a different A list, while Falco has a similar A list, B moves, and final smash. Luigi has a couple of similar moves and specials, Ganondorf has gotten some new moves, and a totally different Final smash, etc])

Patchi

Smash Rookie
In a house, in a state, in a country, on a plantet
If a SSBB DS were to be made, I feel this would be a reasonable roster:

Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
DK
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Samus
Capt. Falcon
Fox
Kirby
Ness
Link
Paper Mario (Paper Mario DS)
Peach (Super Princess Peach)
Kamek (Yoshi's Island DS/Major Yoshi Villan)
KingK.Rool (Major DK Villan)
Lucario (Diamond/Pearl)
Wario (Wario Ware)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Electroplankton (Electroplankton)
Wolf (Major StarFox Villan)
MetaKnight (Kirby Super Star Ultra)
Vatti (Major "Toon Link" Villan)
Animal Crosser (Animal Crossing)
Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Chrono (Chrono Trigger DS)
Random

AlexX

Smash Ace
If a SSBB DS were to be made, I feel this would be a reasonable roster:

[stuff]
There's no Fire Emblem character on that list. Also, I think "black mage" and "animal crosser" are too generic (not to mention you don't fight... anything in Animal Crossing).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
#4 No but innovative ideas like tripping would make an excellent game!
What about randomly falling asleep? Great idea. Must be in SSB4.
Don't forget randomly falling through the center of a stage, randomly have your character ignore your button commands, having your character randomly SD, and randomly end matches. All would be incredible revolutionary for the smash bros. series! :chuckle:

Man, Spire III REALLY got me thinking of a smash bros. DS! A spin-off would be nice, now that I think about it. Give a few absurd, lesser-known, and cult-following characters a chance against the biggest all-stars in gaming. It could be supervised by Sakurai while he makes a definite SSB4. As for the roster size-I think we could do about Melee's size. Probably just a bit less character, stages, and so forth. Add in the wi-fi, and Smash Bros. DS could be very entertaining! But please-no stylus involvement in the smash bros. game play. :urg:

Anyways...my problem with Brawl is this: it wasn't as revolutionary as Smash 64 or Melee. The next smash bros. game must expand upon originality in every sense of the word, and revolutionize smash to degrees that rival smash 64's smash revolution. For example, Melee introduced us to the excellent ideas through various types of "moving stages". Brawl didn't expand either of those much, really. The only new stage additions were breakable environments, and new environmental changes, and new ways of stage transformations. Brawl heavily improved Melee's stage ideas, but didn't build much upon it. This is just one example of the new types of creativity that must be done with the next smash bros. The best way to have original stages is to make stages so detailed that the detail is unrivaled.

Revolution the smash bros. "formula" and "rules", and then destroy it [basically]. Another thing to do is make the most original newcomers ever. Make a flying based character, for example [Ridley!!!]. Maybe even give him air smashes! :laugh: Introduce Mega Man, and allow him to pwn his opponents, and steal their powers like he does in the Mega Man series. Allow Kirby to steal any of a character's special attacks [probably never going to happen, but I SERIOUSLY wanna shine spike someone with Kirby! :laugh:]. Stuff like that. Make it the most original smash game since the original, and throw out everything previously that was a "rule" of smash bros., without completely change the series as a whole.

As we all know, people argue over this which is the best game passionately. Why??? Because they are so different. What we need is a Metal Gear Solid 4 of smash, if you will. Pre-MGS4's release, the best MGS was a debate. When MGS4 came out, MGS4 was hands down the most popular. Why? Because it evolved MGS, and added new stuff as well. A smash bros. that is not just the best all-around, but the best at everything. A solid game that feels like the last in the series [and is, minus spin-offs]. A smash bros. that is everything the last three amazing smash bros. games have and haven't been. All in one package. SSB4 should not just is the hands down best smash game, but a revolutionary game. That's the SSB4 I think Sakurai should make. Make it the most revolutionary game in the series since the original!

[/ends rant]

On a side note...wtf? Mega Man and Samus are almost nothing alike. They only look the same on the surface, but they are completely different in their actual games. In Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man has well over twice as many attacks as Samus in smash, and the only thing that is similar is that they both fire a cannon of some sort. Woaw! Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of weapons Mega Man has gotten in various Mega Man series. And what is with people despise Mega Man? Go play Mega Man and Mega Man 2....NOAW!!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think I know how to make the best Smash and to really make it something the fans and even Sakurai himself find ideal. I am hard at work crafting Smash 4, however, don't be mislead I am not making a game but merely an extremely detailed topic as to what my ideal Smash 4 would be. I have been working on this for months, and the amount of detail put into it so far is simply staggering.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
On a side note...wtf? Mega Man and Samus are almost nothing alike. They only look the same on the surface, but they are completely different in their actual games. In Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man has well over twice as many attacks as Samus in smash, and the only thing that is similar is that they both fire a cannon of some sort. Woaw! Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of weapons Mega Man has gotten in various Mega Man series. And what is with people despise Mega Man? Go play Mega Man and Mega Man 2....NOAW!!!

Yep...yep...

QFE, QFT.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think I know how to make the best Smash and to really make it something the fans and even Sakurai himself find ideal. I am hard at work crafting Smash 4, however, don't be mislead I am not making a game but merely an extremely detailed topic as to what my ideal Smash 4 would be. I have been working on this for months, and the amount of detail put into it so far is simply staggering.
I'm really looking forward to it. Just as I've worked for months on various graphics for Smash Bros including the few rosters that I've shown both in this thread and the SSB4 Discussion thread. Any idea when it will be complete?

EDIT: Whoa wait, you're going to post a thread about SSB4? I hope you formulate your ideas and a powerful thesis statement so it doesn't seem like another SSB4 discussion thread. Actually, that's exactly what it's going to come off as to the mods. I'm still looking forward to it, but maybe (and despite how much this may hurt) you should post it in the Official SSB4 Discussion Thread. I'd hate to see it get swamped by a bunch of readers who figure it's too long to read, but I'd also hate it to be closed as a thread. Your call.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm really looking forward to it. Just as I've worked for months on various graphics for Smash Bros including the few rosters that I've shown both in this thread and the SSB4 Discussion thread. Any idea when it will be complete?
I am pulling an all-nighter to get all the Assist Trophies done. As for when the whole thing will be posted, well let's just say I am trying very hard to get it done before September.

I just read your extra comments, I am very much afraid of forum-goers not taking the time to read my topic due to its length (it will probably be the biggest topic on this board when complete). However, I am hoping it will enlighten forum-goers about certain characters and series, and help for SmashBoards to better understand how much effort goes into Smash Bros. even through simply a brainstorming and idea perspective.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I like the idea of SSBDS's roster and what-not being more influenced by handheld games. That being said, I think there are a few chars who need to be in this:

Ray MK III
Will (AW DoR)
Nintendog
Isaac
Chibi Robo
and Stafy

Maybe Chrono to celebrate CTDS.

That's for the new series', anyways. :"p

Spire

III
BRoomer
I am pulling an all-nighter to get all the Assist Trophies done. As for when the whole thing will be posted, well let's just say I am trying very hard to get it done before September.

I just read your extra comments, I am very much afraid of forum-goers not taking the time to read my topic due to its length (it will probably be the biggest topic on this board when complete). However, I am hoping it will enlighten forum-goers about certain characters and series, and help for SmashBoards to better understand how much effort goes into Smash Bros. even through simply a brainstorming and idea perspective.
Precisely, it should be an informative thread that helps to stimulate the minds of its readers in the realms of the system as a whole. While the topic is, for the most part, about your ideas for SSB4, it will furthermore be about the cohesive structure of every element that builds your scheme, and how they all interrelate and identify with one another. I understand you. It's art, that's what this project of yours is; drawing elements that matter to you, and connecting them together under the influential idea of "Super Smash Bros", or whatever the hell that means.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Oh, I forgot... Shanoa from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia should be playable...

...And Tingle. :"}

AbsoluteZero255

Smash Journeyman
What I think should be in SSB4:

Wavedashing
Lcancelling
More chaingrabs and less infinite chaingrabs
Has a super mario galaxy stage
Has Mewtwo, no Lucario
Individual target tests for every character (just like melee!)
Is as fast as melee
Has Roy and Ike
Has Toon Link (but if they have to replace him, maybe zant would be a good idea)
No Snake (Sorry snake mains, no offense)
Has some Animal Crossing characters (That will be interesting)
Also, some more pokemon characters
...all I can say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom