• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Pork City is one of the worst stages in this game

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
No offense to people that like this stage, but I don't want the camera zooming out so much I have a hard time distinguishing my character from all the stuff in the background. There's really no reason for it; there isn't much in NPC that's actually worth going to.

Hyrule Temple is a massive stage, and it's well designed at every part. NPC is a bunch of floating platforms, one breakable floor that can't be abused, and a swinging thing.

And a random beast with a random bird on its head that randomly comes out of a random point in the stage, and would kill you if it wasn't so easy to avoid.

So this whole stage is just random crap all over the place, with the city that is its namesake as the background.

Worst of all, it's so big that half the time you're just trying to get to your opponent. You can't even abuse projectiles here very well.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to make the actual city the stage? Jumping across buildings (the buildings can be used instead of platforms), using the road at the bottom as a straight surface to battle on, fighting on top of limos (the limos can be mobile platforms)? Even that tower at the top has spikes on it; those could be a neat feature.

So...yeah. Rant over. NPC sucks, and it could've been much better.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
I agree. It really should have been the city you were brawling on.

Instead it's just completely random platforms, the design is like some crappy stage builder stage.

Glix

Smash Cadet
No prob with the UC's here, but yeah, I HATE the stage. If its gonna be that big and stupid, at least put platforms and stuff all over the place. Most of it is empty space. Its super crappy. My least favorite in the game.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I am apparently in the select group of people that enjoys New Pork City. Besides, the music there rocks. <_<

I'm not going to bother debating whether or not it's a good stage since my debate skills are lacking, and it's clear to everyone that it's simply a ******* massive stage, but...

Psydon said:
And a random beast with a random bird on its head that randomly comes out of a random point in the stage, and would kill you if it wasn't so easy to avoid.
I'd just like to point out that the Ultimate Chimera only spawns at/patrols three possible locations: P1's starting location and the platforms to the immediate left, the bottom area with the breakable floor, and the area to the far right underneath the tower-o-platforms. So standing on any platform you can fall through (save one on the far left) will render you safe from the thing.

Optimus124

Smash Rookie
I've lost a match due to not being able to tell the difference between a platform I could hold onto and the city background. The camera distance is definitely what hurts it.

Xavio Tomatketchup

Smash Rookie
The only thing I can say (because I haven't played SSBB yet) is that yeah... they had pretty many selections from the Earthbound series to take and they did New Pork City? Man, I'd like to see Giygas Lair...

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Probably my biggest irk is that they got rid of Fourside (with the best earthbound music ever) for this? It really is the most tedious stage in the game with bad camera options and the ridiculous scale of the stage.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I was happy to see an "city" and a "large" stage, but it's really nothing that I wanted.

I don't play on it much, except for the music. I love Snowman. XD

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I've never had a problem with the Ultimate Chimera. However there are two things I hate about this stage that makes me almost never play this stage.

1. It's too freaking colorfull. The stage is almost blinding form the colors everywhere, as a result it's a lot harder to spot your character from the distance as so much is shining and moving distinguishing someone is hard. I often have to fight by watchingmy name instead which shows up better.

2. It's layout, I don't feel like there's an overall scheme to this level, you could probably divide it into three or four parts that don't really connect to each other all that well as it's a lot of floaty platforms.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I hate New Pork, I hate that it's so zoomed out, it's very hard to distinguish my character...

However, I do love the music, Snowman and Smashing Song of Praise are great.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I hate it too, as a Peach player it's hard enough trying to score a KO in a normal stage but this stage just makes it near impossible. -.-; It's way too big and horribly designed, platforms in random places and I have to use Up B just to reach a basic platform sometimes... which is really unecessary and annoying... I never fight in New Pork City because of the reasons I and many people above have stated. <.<

Also it took like 10 minutes to end a 3 life match between 3 people once and it only ended that soon because one person left and I accidentally KOed myself twice. <.<;

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
So let me get this straight...

You all hate New Pork City because it's a completely complicated stage with almost not direct visibility?

NOT because you're so angry at Brawl that you automatically hate the Mother series?

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
So let me get this straight...

You all hate New Pork City because it's a completely complicated stage with almost not direct visibility?

NOT because you're so angry at Brawl that you automatically hate the Mother series?
Yes, please restate the obvious.

But really, the stage is horrible, something better from Mother please :<

NeoZ

Smash Ace
City stages used to be so good... Saffron City and Eagleland were awesome.
New Pork is way too big, even for FFAs, and some characters have trouble moving around quickly.

Goron

Smash Rookie
The stage should be in the actual city. It's not as though Hyrule Castle was set in the foreground of the castle itself...that's just laziness on Nintendo's part I suppose.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
The simple fact that some characters actually need their third jump just to get back up from the bottommost part of the stage, only to get knocked back down, is enough to kill the stage for me. Add onto that the fact that characters like Game and Watch are COMPLETELY INVISIBLE, and you've got epic fail.

At least Bridge of Eldin is flat and easily navigated, even if it is big.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
I love the idea, I hate the implementation.

NPC was a good idea for a stage. The chimera is a cool stage hazard. The platform layout sucks hardcore.

I understand that it was supposed to be "chaotic", but there were much better ways to do it. I also agree with what many have said in that it should have been set in the actual city, not just some platforms with the city in the background.

Oh well. At least Mother got something, I guess.

Wazzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
wazzle
Yeah, I was bummed, cuz when I saw it on dojo I thought it would be awesome. Of course, like most, I was heavily disappointed.
However, I occasionally play on it just to hear Pokey's theme (possibly fave song in the game).

Maldazzar

Smash Cadet
Yeah, NPC is a really poor stage. If it was considerably smaller and the beast was removed from it, then I might think differently. However there is just too much going on in NPC and the color scheme makes it hard to initially figure out where your character is and what portions of the stage actually are platforms or not.

NukeA6

Smash Master
After making a huge stage filled with moving platforms, there's no need for New Pork City. Why couldn't it be like Hyrule Castle.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
I agree. It really should have been the city you were brawling on.

Instead it's just completely random platforms, the design is like some crappy stage builder stage.
I know, right? Who designed this stage? Like seriously, I'm going to check the credits to see if it shows what specific people were responsible.

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
Rofl, Ultimate Chimera cracks me up. "A random beast with a random bird on its head". Have you played Mother 3? It's hilarious in that game too, trying to run away from it and get the present it's guarding at one point. I love knocking people into it when it pops out! :D The spawn locations aren't random. I have yet to be killed by him. ;)

The stage could be better though, agreed. Onett sucks too. Very disappointing since I'm a big fan of the Mother series. Oh yeah, Fourside was crappy too. The only good thing about any of these stages is the music. I love it.

I do love playing NPC, though. Good for FFAs. And it can make some hilarious 1v1s! You guys ever notice the limo that comes around? I was playing someone 1v1 and I boarded the limo at the bottom where that breakable floor is. I rode it all the way until it started going off screen. Ganondorf followed and boarded it over some on the right side. Once it started going off the screen, I hopped on the ledge at middle right and Ganondorf had no where to go. Oh I wish it let me save a replay of that fight.

tanfastic

Smash Apprentice
I like it, I would just like it better if it was IN the city, I liked Fourside a lot better, they should have just remade Fourside into a bigger stage. But all in all this stage is alright.

Edit: spelling errors and missing last sentence.

disguy

Smash Cadet
Yea I agree this is the worst stage. Its too big and you can barely make out your character because of the background. I don't really mind the UC. Sometimes when someone new is playing on the stage I tell em to go to the UC and he'll restore your health :p

Top Bottom