• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New PM Tech: Ballerina Twists

HY-Periodix

Smash Rookie
I found this tech while playing. Its done by holding attack then walk then hit c-stick diagonally up away from the direction you're walking. This can be used to grab the ledge or just for styling.

PM Tech: Ballerina Twists: http://youtu.be/5WsBryKOF6A

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
This is actually possible using only the control stick, albeit not so smoothly. The input is very similar to a dashdance, but in a tilt fashion rather than smashing the stick.

It's also completely useless though.

HY-Periodix

Smash Rookie
This is actually possible using only the control stick, albeit not so smoothly. The input is very similar to a dashdance, but in a tilt fashion rather than smashing the stick.

It can be used to grab ledge too.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
It's faster and easier to just RAR wavedash off the ledge in 99% of cases.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This is most commonly called "pivot walking" and has been known since 2008.

Fortress

Smash Master
"Pivot walking", and has been around for a while.

Entirely untrue. Pivot walking opens another avenue of edgeguarding to characters who otherwise have a rough time through the slower technique of Wavedash-to-ledge. It's also much safer, in addition to being faster (no risk of accidentally airdodging off of the stage and killing yourself).

Moonwalking can act as a faster, safer alternative to wavedashing to the ledge for characters like, say, Link, who lack a fast-acting Wavedash. For characters, however, that lack that option (Bowser comes to mind), the pivot walk can fill the roll nicely.

In terms of speed and safety for advanced edge-hogging techniques:
Pivot Walk > Moonwalk > Wavedash

Everybody can pivot walk, though it can be slower than moonwalking with a weaker range, moonwalking is quick, and doesn't pose any risk of accidental airdodging on air, and wavedashing to the ledge is probably the slowest option between the three.

Last edited:

HY-Periodix

Smash Rookie
So I experimented with it and I did a forward smash as fox toward the ledge then pivot walked to grab it. Pretty neat.

Fortress

Smash Master
So I experimented with it and I did a forward smash as fox toward the ledge then pivot walked to grab it. Pretty neat.
It's a pretty niche technique, but it has some uses in mixups and simple styling. There's a reason you don't see much of it in competitive play, and that's mostly because it's for flash and flare above most else. Ledgeguarding with it is the primary application, though most of the time Wavedash > ledgegrab is the more practical option, since it's got a longer range than pivot walking (even if it is a lot slower).

Last edited:
Top Bottom