• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW NESS TECH! PSI Slide!

Will you be using this new Ness tech?

• Total voters

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Hey every one, Maafia here, some of you may know I've been training with my Ness alot lately online and I just discovered a new tech! I call it PSI Slide!
How to perform it:
So what you have to do is pivot and immediately down b, ( Dash right, then quickly look left, jam the stick down and press B!) Its a short slide and it's about the same distance as a teleport up smash from Fox. You might be like "Well the heck am I gonna do with this?"
How to implement it:
Now lets say Samus (Or any one else with a projectile, Samus is good for the example) shoots a fully charged shot and you're at high percent, or bad at timing the base ball bat, lets say Samus is a bit close, so if you down b, she may reach you with her grab and proceed to edge guard you, which is bad, but if you dash away, face Samus, and down B quickly, Ness can actually put some distance from him and Samus, while successfully recovering health. So now that you have a greater distance from you and Samus (and others) you can quickly act out and be in the neutral again!
Does this trick work for any other character?:
I've tried it on the cast and every one cant do it, BUT Samus actually do this trick at the side of the stage, and quickly bounce up from the down b and grab the ledge for quick coverage, pretty neat :) make sure you keep holding the direction of where you want to go after down b

So what do you guys think about this small tech I found? will you be using it? How do you feel about it? Let me know!

Morin0

Smash Lord
I just tried this out. Holy ****. Nice find.

Too bad he doesn't slide off to grab the ledge. That'd be a c00l edgehog lol.

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
[8:52 PM] <cobrrrrrrr> please tell maafia that's not a new ness tech
[8:53 PM] <cobrrrrrrr> frog's done it for a while but he said it's essentially useless, thus there's no reason to ever do it except for its own sake

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
Pretty cool, i didn't know about this

I feel its pretty useless though. While its not overly difficult by any means to execute as i did it first try I could see myself potentialy throwing out a pk fire by accident in a match setting and eating it or even doing it but misjudging the timing/spacing.

Pulling it off though, what do you really gain? Your basically giving up any chance to punish - which could lead to taking a stock - to gaining back some percent? In the smash entry that recovering damage imo is the most futile i feel this is far from the optimal decision almost - if not every single time.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Cool discovery, even if you apparently were no the original founder. But I agree I don't see an application. The problem is PSI magnet has too much ending lag, so I feel like a good Samus will still easily chase you down and punish either way.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that none of the Ness mains I've seen seem to ever use his down b except to sweet spot. Maybe it'd be useful against Samus in some specific situation, but with any other projectile I'd say definitely not.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Cool discovery, even if you apparently were no the original founder. But I agree I don't see an application. The problem is PSI magnet has too much ending lag, so I feel like a good Samus will still easily chase you down and punish either way.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that none of the Ness mains I've seen seem to ever use his down b except to sweet spot. Maybe it'd be useful against Samus in some specific situation, but with any other projectile I'd say definitely not.
I was facing a mario who started to get scared at facing me cause I would combo him to death, he put out like 3 fire balls and I collected him all at once, since he was spacing there was no way he could catch up on time :3

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
[8:52 PM] <cobrrrrrrr> please tell maafia that's not a new ness tech
[8:53 PM] <cobrrrrrrr> frog's done it for a while but he said it's essentially useless, thus there's no reason to ever do it except for its own sake
Oh, didn't know cause no one really mentioned it ever, but eh whatever, I was so hype when I did it so don't shatter my dreamz. I think it has some uses to it, like if you retreat and samus fires / mario throws some fire, you can do it like once or twice in a match cause the opponent won't expect it.
Srry for double post

Morin0

Smash Lord
I never understood the Cobr meme. He's retired and yet people post quotes like if he recently said them in response to the topic at hand. Come on, guys. Let's have some respect for our retired players >_>

Last edited:
Top Bottom