• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW MEMBERS READ BEFORE POSTING: General Brawl Boards/Brawl Info FAQ (Updated 2/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This FAQ contains two sections. The first section is information about how SWF works, and guidelines for posting. The second section contains information often asked for about Brawl, and the information most often found in locked threads.

I. General Brawl Boards FAQ

- What Smashboards is/isn’t
[FONT=&quot] • [/FONT]It’s very important to realize what Smash World Forums is and what it is not. If you are new here, it is likely that you are accustomed the forum operations of websites like Gamefaqs, IGN, NSider2, and others. However, it is VITAL that you realize that Smashboards is run very differently than those forums, even though we welcome all new users. SWF is the central website for pretty much every professional Smash Bros. Melee player. Naturally, we get a lot of casual players and new smashers, which is awesome because the SWF community is growing. But the fact still remains that this is the top Smash Bros. forum on the internet. Many of Melee’s ‘advanced techniques’ (such as wavedashing) were originally discovered here, and the same is likely to be true in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
[FONT=&quot]
• [/FONT]Since this is the primary Smash forum on the internet, things are run differently than your average forum. There are moderators assigned to SWF’s many rooms who keep a rather consistent eye on the happenings there. They are the users with their names in red, and can be seen posting often around the boards. There are many moderators who read the Brawl boards, such as Gimpyfish62, Youko, SamuraiPanda, Mic_128, and Kokichi, among others. Where other websites’ moderators generally don’t pay attention, we do.

[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT] The three biggest mistakes made by new posters are: Posting their idea in the wrong room, posting spam, and posting something that already exists or is common knowledge. The moderators try their best to keep the boards clean of duplicate/unnecessary threads and keep an eye for spam posts. Moderators will move threads to the correct board if you post in the wrong place, but SPAM is typically not tolerated, and you will often receive a warning or infraction for doing so, which might be the biggest change for new members of SWF. Also, if you make a thread on something that already exists, it will be locked, so please use the forum search!

- Purpose of threads
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]The purpose of threads is to discuss the TOPIC OF THE THREAD. For example, in the Character Discussion room of the Brawl boards, the different character support threads are meant for discussion of the character and NOT as a social room for fans of that character. If the topic discussion gets too far off topic after subsequent moderator warnings, actions will be taken, which could even lead to the closing of the thread.

- Recommendations for good threads
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT] As mentioned earlier, there are certain steps that should be considered before posting a thread.
Have I searched to see if this topic exists on the boards?
Have I searched AGAIN?
Am I posting this in the right room?
Am I posting a topic that allows for real discussion?

[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT] Here are some moderator suggestions as to what would make a good thread:
Obviously, if you’re going to create a thread, create something that doesn’t exist already. This cannot be stressed enough; as moderators, we lock way too many duplicate threads way too often, which could have been solved if the user typed a few words into the search button.
Instead of topic titles such as, “Have you ever noticed…” or “Look what I found!” or “I have a Brawl question…” only to have your title “answered” in the first post of the thread, it would be better to make it so that your primary topic is evident in the thread’s title and can be easily searched for/located in the future.
Develop a good first post. If your thread title is “Who thinks Mario and Sonic will make the best team in Subspace Emissary?”, your first post should not be “Discuss.” or “I think they will be, cuz they are awesome. Discuss.” In fact, ending the first post with “Discuss” is ridiculous, since that is the point of a forum. And also, try to organize your thoughts in some fashion. Nobody wants to read a wall of text.
Finally, post a topic that people can actually discuss. That means, believe it or not, threads based solely on opinions don’t yield that much discussion. If you made a topic called “Dedede” (do not use, it’s a bad idea), and your first post was “I just love Dedede! He is going to be top tier for sure!” there is a primary flaw with how it is constructed. Without stating your reasons why you have your opinion, and only stating the opinion itself, the only thing that people would really be able to say would be “…OK. That’s your opinion,” which doesn’t yield good discussion.

[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT] Please take these into account when you are creating a thread on the Brawl boards: General, Character, or Stage Discussion.

- DOJO Updates Forum
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]It seems like most people are unaware of the DOJO Updates forum. It is a subforum in the General Brawl Discussion room. Here, Mic_128 and Misto-Roboto create blog entries regarding the DOJO updates, which are redirected to this forum. Please, if you want to create a thread with your opinions and thoughts on the latest DOJO Update or blog post, it is best to just post your ideas in the respective DOJO Update thread.

- SEARCH
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT] The BIGGEST problem by far that new SWF members come across is that they do not use the Search function NEARLY as much as they should, so there is an extra section dedicated to this underappreciated button. You can search all of SWF using “Search” under the mushroom Calendar button at the top of the page, but it is much more effective to use the “Search this Forum” option in the upper right of the room you currently in. Plus, believe it or not, searching the first couple pages of the room by just looking at all the topics really helps things as well. Both of these really cut down on the number of duplicate threads created and it creates less of a hassle for the community as a whole, as well as better discussions. We moderators can not iterate enough how many threads are closed because new members failed to search, so please don’t be one of those people. Search, search, search!

- Release dates, Spoiler topics
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]The American release date is March 9th, 2008, delayed from December 3rd, 2007 and February 10th, 2008. Europe/Australia has not received word on a release date, unfortunately.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Please do not create threads involving “How will I avoid spoilers for this game?” There are several solutions to this.
Don’t check the DOJO if you don’t want to be spoiled
Don’t visit any Brawl forum starting a couple weeks before Japan’s release date in case of potential info leaks
Don’t visit any video game website starting a few days before Japan’s release date in case of definite info leaks
Good luck.

- Update complaints
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Please don’t create threads that complain about the DOJO Updates. They will really not be tolerated by moderators.
Nobody is forcing you to check the DOJO
Sakurai does not have to drop major updates every week/day to fit your whim
A daily weekday blog is unprecedented for any video game creator to do, so there is no reason to complain about something we wouldn’t normally have.
*EDIT* There has been a new thread created for people who insist on complaining despite everything we get. Check it out here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=129685

- Character subforums
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Each confirmed character has their own subforum that branches off of the Character Discussion room. Please use these rooms for your specific questions about characters that have already been confirmed, especially since posting in the General Character Discussion Room is now closed.

- Reporting posts
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]We moderators are very busy and appreciate it when the community points out things that need attention paid to. This can be done by reporting offensive posts (clicking the red/white triangle in the bottom-left of the post). Usually reasons such as spam topics/posts, excessive posting, flaming, dodging the censor function, offensive material, etc. are good reasons to report posts. However, there are certain guidelines that need to be taken.
Don’t report frivolous things, please. This spams up the moderators’ email inboxes. And that’s just not nice.
Don’t report people simply as a “revenge” tactic, or because you don’t like them. There should be a real reason whenever you click that button.
Don’t report posts in a closed thread! This is very important. If the thread is closed, that means a moderator has already looked at the situation and dealt with it as he deems appropriate. Reporting a post in a closed room is like opening up an old wound, and that isn’t pretty.

II. General Brawl Information FAQ

PLEASE READ Kiri's stickied Brawl Information thread for a developing compilation of knowledge of the game!

- UNLOCKING GUIDE:
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Kashikomarimashta has compiled an excellent unlocking guide for many aspects of Super Smash Bros. Brawl; read at your own risk!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3827850

- VIDEOS WORTH SEEING:
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Here are a couple sources of current "professional" Brawl player videos!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141871
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141480

- ADVANCED TECHNIQUES:
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Here's the current advanced techniques discussion thread!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140981

- SOUNDTRACK RIP:
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]All your Brawl music needs!
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141013

[FONT=&quot]*More information may be added in the future as it becomes available*
[/FONT]

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Yay i have been waiting for a topic like this.
BTW My belief is that when brawl comes out the brawl forums will be spamed with I JUST UNLOCKED This character I just UNLOCK That character. i just beat the game I GOT ALL THE STAGES Ect. you mods are going to have a tough task ahead of you.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Yay i have been waiting for a topic like this.
BTW My belief is that when brawl comes out the brawl forums will be spamed with I JUST UNLOCKED This character I just UNLOCK That character. i just beat the game I GOT ALL THE STAGES Ect. you mods are going to have a tough task ahead of you.
agreed. Maybe you could PM every person on swf and make them read this or something...

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
The crazy signs were more of a formatting-carrying-over-from-Microsoft-Word kind of thing. I fixed it so looks more reasonable.

If any of you have suggestions what to add to this to help the newer members now and for the future, we'd love to hear them!

WiiLittleMan

Smash Cadet
If any of you have suggestions what to add to this to help the newer members now and for the future, we'd love to hear them!
I think you should emphasize that people should just not post on threads that they knew were going to be locked (such as "I like cheese", etc) rather than posting something like "in b4 lock!" It gets really annoying seeing threads like that get bumped up to the top of the page because people do that. Unfortunately, the kind of people that actually DO that aren't very likely to read this.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
A very informative thread, great for noobs. But chances are they wont read this thread anyway and post hte "is there a playable demo coming out?" thread
I think maybe you put something in to veteran SWFers, not abuse a new member for making a thread on an old topic, because if something old or known is posted, sarcasm and abuse usually follows:dizzy:

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
- Recommendations for good threads
[FONT=&quot]•[/FONT] As mentioned earlier, there are certain steps that should be considered before posting a thread.
Have I searched to see if this topic exists on the boards?
Have I searched AGAIN?
Samurai that part is excellent... after those, I recommend this:

Have you changed the key words in your search?
Have you changed the key words in your search AGAIN?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Be sure to add this in large bold lettering: Yes, SWF is well aware of the DOJO updates. -- If more than 35 seconds have passed since the DOJO has updated, there is a thread for it here... guaranteed. I cannot believe the audacity of certain members posting almost a day after an update saying stuff like, "Hey, for those who don't know, Sonic is in Brawl!!1!" ZOMG REALLY???

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I'm sick of other threads where people start argueing over competitive vs. casual play. The casual players start talking about how "AD Techs" are cheap and why items rock and why Temple rocks, while the competitives just yell at the casuals and say you have to use AD techs or else and your not aloud to play with items because they're cheap and your n0o0o0obess$. It's childish. If both sides would agree that the game can be played how ever you want the forum would be much more peaceful place.

What I'm trying to say is "The game was intended to be played, not to be played in a certain way. You can play however you want to, and no one can make you play any other way."

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm sick of other threads where people start argueing over competitive vs. casual play. The casual players start talking about how "AD Techs" are cheap and why items rock and why Temple rocks, while the competitives just yell at the casuals and say you have to use AD techs or else and your not aloud to play with items because they're cheap and your n0o0o0obess$. It's childish. If both sides would agree that the game can be played how ever you want the forum would be much more peaceful place.

What I'm trying to say is "The game was intended to be played, not to be played in a certain way. You can play however you want to, and no one can make you play any other way."
I agree with your last line, but the rest of your statement is worded in such a way to make it sound like competitive players attacked casual players' style of playing, which is complete trash. Competitive players have no issues with casual play style (in fact, we indulge in it now and again). However, casual players attempt to tell competitive players that tournament rules are bogus and do not demonstrate "true skill". From there, it just boils down to "items add depth, blah blah blah". Trust me, I've been in just about every single one. Competitives are always provoked.

Cless

Smash Champion
I know where you're coming from Buzz, but let's not turn this into another debate. That is totally not the point of this thread at all.

NinjaT2D

Smash Cadet
Great thread, Great info/recap. all i can say is that brawl is in less than a month in japan, everything we want to know will be shown then, oh and SameraiPanda, wat do u think about the box art is it better than the old one?

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Last episode got more than 1300 downloads. So more than you think.

Besides, that's not even on topic.

M.K

Level 55
Very nice thread. Now if only we could send this to GameFAQs. . .
Just put this in a post titled "New Info On Brawl!ZOMGll@@!ElevenSherbert" everyone on Game***s would be all over it.

If there could be some way to limit Smash Bros. Fan Projects (Movies, Games, Cards) that'd be pretty cool.

Also, I really believe that SmashDash deserves a sticky. It is incredibly witty, and has a very large fanbase. Please consider this :) Thanks!

hjihjihjihji

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-3014-8369
I followed these guidelines and searched the pool room twice for a lost thread but didnt find one. So I started a new one but it was closed because there was already one in the multimedia section. Because pool room is for anything it should be made clear that T.V. movie etc is not included in this. The information below the pool room link says virtually anything. If it said except entertainment etc i would not have made this mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom