• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New How To: Gliding

Rune

Smash Lord
What's with people assuming they know what characters are gonna be like? To me it looks like Pit and Metaknight will be lightweight and lack powerful KO moves next to their rapid slashing attacks. Also, Metaknight seems to have pretty poor mobility, average attack range, poor grab range and no projectile.

Gliding to me seems to require momentum, I assume everyone here's played Mario64 at some point.. the stuff he says about moving your 'nose' up and down sounds awfully familiar, and not all that OMGIMBA!

Get to announcing C.Falcon already Sakurai, can't wait to knee/spike the living dayglide outta these *******s.

and maybe some can crawl some can fly and some can do something else, maybe if you crawl you can walk againt the side of the level
Crawling is probably as simple as moving sideways while crouching as a counter to projectile spammers. The vid with Snake and Wario doing it was probably to show the difference between a great crawl and a poor one. Snake is obviously gonna rock at it, while Wario might as well walk.

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...

I'm surprised nobody has actually said this considering how many people mentioned capes, and one person even mentioned Mario gliding with his cape, but the whole thing sounds very similar to how the gliding part of Mario's cape worked in Super Mario World. It even looks like it has the same controls and restrictions. Considering how the footstool jump is based on another Mario mechanic, I don't see why this should be much differant.

Edit: Ah and someone finally decides to point out something similar while I'm putting my post together. Figures.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Che.....doesn't Peach not have this same ability with her Parasol Umbrella?
erm no? peach cant glide up like these flyiers here :p
I beg to differ. It's just like a upgraded version of Peach's "float" ablity of Melee. You know when where she does her second jump she can like drift back on to the stage without losing any height.
Right, you beg to differ that Peach can float up? Please show me, cause if she can it would make Peach much better (and me a horrible Peach player for not knowing).

Anyway, great update today, more moves for Brawl! Really guys, the only thing I really think fighting games like Soul Caliber have over Smash is the number of moves, those are rather limited in Smash, but this is certainly a nice addition and opens up some more playing styles. Also, I was already expecting a lot from Metaknight and Pit, but that Charizard looks very good as well. I think it will be quite hard to master that Pokemon Trainer but it sure sounds like a great character for mindgames.

Also, I thinks this actually adds balance to the game, as the heavy characters got the flinching (and I expect some power increase etc..), the lighter characters get this. Also, Charizard has both but well, he has to be switched out so.

Edit:
Pit - Single Jump off of a stage. Next Double Jump further out. At the peak of the 2nd jump, glide upwards. Shoot your aimable arrows over and over. When gliding ends, use Pits Up-B to fly back to the stage.

You could probably get lots of damge output without being able to get hit.
Erm, wouldn't pit just fall down when shooting, also, anyone could shield from this and when Pit comes flying back just hit him then, example: Bowser, shield the arrows, if Pit comes flying from above, do an air attack, if he comes at walking level, use a very powerful attack which has the "heavy guys don't flinch" ability or use your fire if he comes from below. Also, with Metaknight you could just go after Pit and do those insanely fast sword attacks we saw in the trailer, sure that does more damage then Pit with his bow.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Is it a general consensus that the level shown in this update is Lylat Cruise?
The platform looks like it, but the sky doesnt...

Hong

The Strongest
To those who think gliding will give a vertical boost;
You won't be able to to glide upwards and gain distance unless you build enough speed. Meaning you will need to glide forward enough or glide downwards first. I know this is smash brothers where not all of the laws of physics exist, but these are pretty basic and self balancing, and have been seen in any instance since the history of anything. Someone kindly brought up the Super Mario World example. The point is you won't be able to exploit it that much.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Very cool update, I don't think it will be imbalanced but it might be annoying. They have to get near the ground sometime while gliding, so just nail them with a footstool jump or air attack or chunk stuff at them to finish them off.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Well, lets not forget, gliding is different from FLYING.

Flying they can remain at a constant height and go higher or lower, and even speed up.

But gliding, they will gradually begin to go lower and lower.

shinypaper

Smash Rookie
So when you get hit or stall out does that mean you lose your jump or your recovery?
If it was just your jump then I could see how the balance could be a little off, but if you lost your recovery then it seems a little more fair, as you could just shoot them or even footstool jump on them and down they'd plunge. Can't wait to see how it plays.

As well, Meta and Pit look like they are going to seriously deal some damage. (Not broken just high to top tier)

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Will everyone stop whining! I'm sure that Sakurai has it set up so so players like Pit and Mk won't be completely broken.

a1j2h5

Smash Apprentice
Gliding will be fun, but it seems that some characters will be even harder to KO. Hmmmm..... I wonder who else is going to have this ability.

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
This is broken. :(
how is this broken, its the same as peach is umbrella. and she can press down and then up again to adjust the angle shes gliding in. and so can charizard and the rest do

and peach is only that good because of her down A

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Good update.

Off topic: I get a kick out of when Sakurai says something like "They... They are really flying!"

It makes my day :) When all this is done, I am going to compile a list that shows all the times they do that.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Whether or not it is broken will depend on if you'd be able to attack mid-glide, and with what... Metaknight and Pit looked like they'd both be floaty with very good recoveries anyway (multiple jumps like Kirby or Jigglypuff). This will add to their recovery in the same way Peach's float does. But if they can't attack mid-glide without it ending and auto-cancel aerials with it, then it'll be worse than the float. And there'll probably be a limited amount of time that it can be done, to prevent stalling at the top or bottom of maps.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
What's up with Charizard's right foot in the first picture? He he holding the home run bat?!
No, that's the beginning to end of his tail, from right to left, respectively.

I'm pleased with this update - it's definitely not a 'broken' technique, because I'm sure a possible self-counter would be any character with the ability to glide having an increase knock-back at lower percentages.

Also, they need momentum - and they cannot change directions, which can make it actually pretty difficult to get down.

-Nox Noctis

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
thats not the homerun bat its his tail,we havent heard from charmander and charmeleon for a while

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
yeah while these guys can fly/glide...I DONT THINK they can do what Snake and Wario have done in the trailer and THATS CRAWL!!!!....im pretty sure crawling will be used for something
Yeah i dont know why people are concerned about gliding being overpowered when we all know that crawling is the one thats going to be broken

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, at first glance, the gliding looks like something that could potentially complicate tournament play.

Maybe the grounded characters will get something to call their own?

binki2lk

Smash Rookie
so when i have this game i will need to use is pit so i could learn gliding wheater i play as pit in adventure
mode of subspace emmisary i wonder when the going to bring kid icarus for the Wii when when now because i did not appeard in SNES , N64 , and gamecube but when the gonna return kid icarus for Wii
when should and i hope to get kid icarus for wii and actually i choose pit to unlocked pokemon characters

Bob Hollywood

Smash Rookie
You're just pissed off you weren't part of it.
Part of what? Tournaments? You do realize that most tournaments are open to whoever wants to play, right? It's not like I'm physically incapable of joining a tournament.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
No, that's the beginning to end of his tail, from right to left, respectively.

I'm pleased with this update - it's definitely not a 'broken' technique, because I'm sure a possible self-counter would be any character with the ability to glide having an increase knock-back at lower percentages.

Also, they need momentum - and they cannot change directions, which can make it actually pretty difficult to get down.

-Nox Noctis
That's true. And the quickest way to gain momentum is to do a quick downwards spike and then level out.
Gliding is going to be fun! :D

shanus

Smash Hero
seems like a cool update, i wonder how much momentum you'll need to glide upwards and if it forces you to level out or not eventually

Cyberbot5000

Smash Apprentice
Mario should have gliding abilities after all Super Mario World had it plus Marios cape is already a move so they just need to modify it to allow for flight when his cape move is used in the air

Top Bottom