• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Edgeguard Technique?

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I've been messing around with Vududashing a lot.

Heres an application I've been trying. I think its pretty surprising / quick. I like to think that Luigi going in the opposite direction makes your opponent think theyve got a brief reprieve, but then you fly into their face with an aerial.

This works on Dreamland, Battlefield, and Yoshis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_LATtG8Mw&feature=youtu.be

Whys this forum so dead? Luigi so much fun :)

Vudujin

Smash Lord
It's really good against Ganon's and Falcon's Down-b's when you predict them.

If you hold down and in on the platform neutrals, you can grab the ledge for a more effective edgehog against Marth's up-b, illusions, fire-spacey, or most recoveries going for a sweetspot. Vududash ledge grab doesn't work on Yoshi's Story because the platform sticks out beyond the ledge.

Other than that it more or less puts you in a bad position since your still in a fireball animation with your back turned while your body is being hurled off the stage from butter on your shoes. It actually works better if you catch them DI'ing high from a combo and then try to zone them with the fireball and catch them with a chop or dair.

I'll try and find some examples

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I agree, its rather risky, but I think the surprise factor is golden.

Essentially what I foresee using it for (and will be attempting to practice), is using it as an alternate means to get in position for an offstage edgeguard. Basically vududash like in the video and then use your double jump to hit them with the aerial of your choice. (byebye ganon/falcon)

Vudujin

Smash Lord
The surprise works the first time, but once you keep doing it with your back turned you'll get punished every time. They'll either out-space your aerial or just hit you out of your fireball animation. The only thing you have to change is using the fireball to zone when they're going for a high recovery or you hit them high out of a combo and then pick your aerial. You need the fireball for cover essentially. If they're recovering low, you're better off going for the ledge grab instead of the aerial for the invincibility and then appropriate aerial. You CAN do what you're talking about against falcon and ganon while they're in their down-b animation however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpIvNQhiR8&feature=player_detailpage#t=102s

I missed the first chop, but this is the first one I could find. This is what I'm talking about

Other practical uses for it are:

-getting space between slow characters like Peach, Marth, or Puff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpIvNQhiR8&feature=player_detailpage#t=131s
-pseudo-counter approach for campers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD0622BE1B1BAF8EA&v=XWwoIELgfJo&feature=player_detailpage#t=401s
-getting off of platforms under pressure. If you're stuck on the top platform against characters like Marth who just need a jump and an aerial to punish, just get them to commit to one side of the platform and vududash off of the other side and grab the ledge. (Couldn't find example at the moment)

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
This technique is so sexy! VuduDashing is like one of my favorite techniques! personally, if used it right, you really can't get punished for it.

It would really help if you went behind the opponent and used a fireball, you can get to the ledge before they do.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I love it but it's quite dangerous. I perform what I call the dream killer (I saw it in a dream) which is a forward vududash after knocking someone offstage then d/fairing them after the fireball hits. If your opponent doesn't get hit by the fireball you're kinda boned though.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Looks like marth could of teched that.
He certainly could of.

What do you guys think of trying to use vududashing to make edgeguards faster and longer range at the risk of a stock? This would require at least half of the full tornado recovery height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUU5W4yc7hw
Its a great way to get some follow-ups that you normally would be unable to get: What I mean by this is sometimes you can do a full hop -> Dair / Fair at high percentages and then waveland onto a platform with a vududash, it puts you in position for a followup, or just gets you really close and them frightened so you can punish their reaction. Its usually just unexpected.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
No one is actually playing Marth. hehe I just connected an extra controller and went to FD.

He certainly could of.

Its a great way to get some follow-ups that you normally would be unable to get: What I mean by this is sometimes you can do a full hop -> Dair / Fair at high percentages and then waveland onto a platform with a vududash, it puts you in position for a followup, or just gets you really close and them frightened so you can punish their reaction. Its usually just unexpected.
Thanks! That's a good explanation and seems like a very good application. I think I'll have to try that on my opponent sometime. = )

I was experimenting with it for the use of gimping recoveries like Marth's or spacies, but I think that application is mostly unnecessary. At least it looks cool and could be done to get the crowd excited. haha

I love it but it's quite dangerous. I perform what I call the dream killer (I saw it in a dream) which is a forward vududash after knocking someone offstage then d/fairing them after the fireball hits. If your opponent doesn't get hit by the fireball you're kinda boned though.
Thanks! What do you mean by forward vududash? I'm not sure how your dream killer looks like. cool name btw.

Last edited:

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
By forward vududash I mean vududash off the stage/platform in the same direction you shoot the fireball. And thanks man. Luigi has silly tricks so he gets the best names.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I've definitely done this plenty of times before, and its super satisfying. (Especially against Hbox's stupid puff.)

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Hbox tried to rollout on me when we played at CEO on FD lol. I ledge stalled because I wasn't about to give him that cheese only so many games to play with him. Never wd dsmash Puff at low percent either

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Hbox tried to rollout on me when we played at CEO on FD lol. I ledge stalled because I wasn't about to give him that cheese only so many games to play with him. Never wd dsmash Puff at low percent either
He does it a lot on FD, its surprisingly effective against Luigi.
I typically almost never downsmash Puff except as a punish/reaction, its too risky since Puff can usually hop right over it :(

The Puff matchup is one of the few that Luigi is actually equally potent in the air as opposed to the ground, the typical approach to most characters is to stay grounded and moving, but spacing aerials against Puff is very powerful. I basically alternate between spacing aerials and wavelanding for punishes and spacing purposes.

On another note, I'll be in Atlanta next weekend - how close are you, Austin?

Last edited:

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I live right next to the airport. You should definitely come by! Message me on FB when you'll be free and we'll figure something out.

Top Bottom