• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Competitive Game Type FFA (Free For All)

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
Before I begin this thread, I would like to state that I have been personally thinking that though the game is 12 years old (about), it still hasn't reached its maximum yet. Which is another reason why Melee is so amazing. I came up with a game type for Free For All's to become competitive. Now, keep in mind that FFA is a COMPLETELY different game type that takes a different approach to the game. This means that just because Mango is the #1 player in 1v1's, doesn't mean he'll be the best at FFA's. It requires a completely different skill set. So here are the rules I've come up with. I will be explaining the reasons why I chose these rules and stages.

3 or 4 minute rounds/No stocks (strictly timed)
2 Rounds
SD's - 2
Score Display is OFF
Sudden Death rounds are NOT played
Stages available:
Yoshi's Story, Brinstar, Mute City, Battlefield, Rainbow Cruise (Fountain of Dreams is a maybe)
In the event of a tie between 2 players, those players play one 1v1 standard rules match.

Reasons why:

3 or 4 minutes with no stocks - This basically allows for constant combat between the players. You never stop fighting. Not to mention the fact that you dont wanna have an 8 minute long round anyway.

2 Rounds - This may be only 1 depending on just how many players enter. But I feel 2 rounds allows for 2 things to happen. 1 is that the best FFA player really DOES win those rounds and moves on. Or 2, an equally skilled FFA player gets the chance to win and then both winners much prove who's "better" so to speak in a 1v1 match.

SD's - 2 - This is EXTREMELY important. Most of you have been thinking, "Why dont me and my friend just team up against someone?" This is the reason why. Only 1 player will make it past the FFA rounds. And SD's dont stop your stock count because there is none. So if you and your friend are going to team up on say "mango", thats fine. He'll just ALWAYS come back. The problem is...who got that stock point? You both want it dont you? This forces players to play for themselves. This also allows players to not just play fox in FFA. This makes it so all decent tier characters are viable for FFA. For all we know, since FFA is a different skill set, DK sucks in singles but could **** in FFA. And keep in mind, if you decide to go for a suicide kill, you're gonna be - 1 anyway if you get it. And if you do get "jabbed" in the process, you're just going to go even with the person who was gonna die anyway. I believe that this would make things a little more balanced.

Score Display OFF - What this does is simply force players to pay attention to EACH POINT that is given to a player. This small detail requires player to "count cards" while being in combat. I dont think it'll be a big deal. But it will increase the skill cap a little more for paying attention to who's in the lead and who's not.

Sudden Death rounds cancelled - This is because starting the match with 300% is stupid. Nuff said.

Stages - This also extremely important. The problem before was that the stages were to big and nobody would approach. Because you only get points and move on BY ATTACKING you must be in combat. But you dont want a fox on the other end of the map just shooting lasers at the group and then coming in for the pick up. You must force people to "play legit" so to speak. All of those stages I believe are small enough so that way nobody can "camp".

Now keep in mind, this is JUST AN IDEA. But I sincerely like to see some different stuff happen. I think that this could POSSIBLY unlock a whole new world of fun competitive smash play.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I would appreciate it if people would troll. I'm just trying to bring something new and fun to the game. :bee: :colorful: :laugh: :seuss: :lol: :psycho:

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
P.S. I would appreciate it if people would troll.
where r de itemz nub?

seriously though, what the **** is this ****? seems like this weird attempt to combine all-items-on FFAs crazy **** with competitive ruleset and the result has the best of neither worlds. both casual and competitive smash are fun, but for ENTIRELY DIFFERENT REASONS.

i don't think this really "fixes" anything that you think it does. camping will still be a powerful strategy, hell it might even be a great strategy. just camp until you see someone's ready to die, then go in and snipe a kill. i'm pretty sure i won 99% of my casual matches when i was a scrub using lasers and fsmash. imagine if someone half decent knew how to do it lol
don't see most low tiers (or hell any of them) becoming magically better because FFA. most of them flat out are worse than higher tier characters because their hitboxes are strictly worse, they have less movement options, or they get absolutely ****ed up by the simplest strategies.
tldr; Don't really see the purpose in this. Casual 4-player FFAs are fun, dunno why we have to integrate them into tournament or vice-versa. There's merit in one for mindless fun and merit in the other for a deeper experience.

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
The stages dont allow you to sit and camp with lasers. And all 4 players on small maps will be to close to do that. How are you gonna came lasers with fox on mute city? or Yoshi's when all 3 players are ready to hit you? And because theres no stocks, there never an imbalance of fighting. It would never become a 2 players fighting and 1 player sitting back camping. And there are no items so wtf are you talking about with that? lol

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
camping is not restricted to just standing in once place and lasering all day lmao
another perfectly legitimate strategy is just to run away until the opportunity arises to get a hit
and hell, does FFA even do anything about ledge camping with Puff or Sheik? Shino-stalling with Sheik was hard enough to by-pass without anyone to bother you, but now you got someone else all up in your grill

i know you don't have items on, that's why it's not one of the points i attacked lol
competitive FFAs seem a paradox cuz they combine two ideas that don't really work together well and ends up making something that is neither really that fun or that competitive

wouldnt SDs counting for 0 make it so you could just constantly suicide kill tho? falco could dair and sneak kills all day. ALL DAY

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
Yes. The game does do something about ledge camping. You dont know when a kill chance will arise. So you're missing out on opportunities to get them. So camping is actually a bad strat. I gurantee that if you tried that with shiek or puff (especially puff) ur not going to win. With puffs return, it would benefit an aggressive puff more than a defensive one.

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
wouldnt SDs counting for 0 make it so you could just constantly suicide kill tho? falco could dair and sneak kills all day. ALL DAY
Ahh you're right. My bad. I was thinking of death's just not minusing your score. But you could take that off anyway. Not to mention, if you get hit when you try to steal a kill. it will count as a point to someone else anyway.

phish-it

Smash Champion
SD's would need to be set to - 2 if anything. Under -1 If someone kills you, they gain 1 point and you lose 1, which means if you get to high damage you are better off killing yourself to prevent the opponent from gaining anything. Also as others have said the tier list doesn't drastically change from one mode to another; bad characters will still be bad regardless. The only reason someone might win more with Kirby is because there are other factors in FFA's that keep the game less consistent than 1v1's, namely ganging.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
FFA would be too much about politics between the players rather than skill I feel like. It always seems like whoever is in the lead gets ganged up on and it naturally balances back out to even. It'd be interesting making alliances and such but it wouldn't really be a smash game I'd want to be competitive at. Maybe an interesting side event or something

itstomis

Smash Rookie
A couple scrubs could easily just team up and eliminate Mango. Really dumb.

The two players working together just run to the side of the stage and repeatedly have one designated winning player knock the other off. The designated loser makes no attempt to recover.

You get say 10-20 scrubs to enter and Mango has no chance to win

How is that any fun to watch?

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I personally ****ing hate having more than two people in a match that isn't teams. I have to do it quite often with some of my friends because they don't like 1v1's. Some times it can be fun though because you can throw people into other people and use them against each other, but when I do this it usually becomes 2v1 and they team against me. Like MountainGoat said though, it usually boils down to politics, people will take sides and gang up on who usually wins or is the most annoying. A lot of the time people will just ***** that they got ganged up on too and that's just no fun.

However, I do agree that it would take a different set of skills to be able to win at FFA's. Personally though, I just don't enjoy FFA's much.

Engo

Smash Ace
A couple scrubs could easily just team up and eliminate Mango. Really dumb.

The two players working together just run to the side of the stage and repeatedly have one designated winning player knock the other off. The designated loser makes no attempt to recover.

You get say 10-20 scrubs to enter and Mango has no chance to win

How is that any fun to watch?
Mango wouldn't lose 3 on 1 to scrubs.

poega

Smash Apprentice
Definitely alot of valid points being thrown around, although I must say I really like the idea of experimenting with modes. It is an extremely configurable game but we aint using any of it. Have you tried this live OP? How did it play out?

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
Definitely alot of valid points being thrown around, although I must say I really like the idea of experimenting with modes. It is an extremely configurable game but we aint using any of it. Have you tried this live OP? How did it play out?
I haven't gotten to test it out. I was thinking of trying it this past tournament I went to last night. But I figured never mind.

Also, i realized that the answer is to make the SD's - 2 instead of 1. This will make it so teaming up sets you back FARTHER than it would normally and being able to recover your score wouldn't be viable. Also, if players team up on the best, as i said before, it takes a different set of skills. Noticing when players are about to do that is an important key to positioning and seeing opportunities. Teaming up and giving free kills to other opponents means you're most likely NOT going to win anyway if you make "mango" lose. If you make someone else lose, you're going to lose too.

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
He's one month newer than you, I don't get what you're saying?
Seriously right? lol And i was playing before that. I just used the FB group for a while before i joined Smashboards. However, I FOUND THE REAL ANSWER TO THE PROBLEMS. And i'm going to make another post about it. This I believe will ACTUALLY work. And it does require true skill and disables politics in the FFA ideal game.

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
This wouldn't work because its ******** and no one would ever want to play it
Maybe to you. But I've been talking to my community and alot of them like the idea. I just needed to find a new answer. You dont like FFA? thats fine. Dont play it. But dont be a douche by disrespecting an idea that alot of other people would like to play.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
And it does require true skill and disables politics in the FFA ideal game.
How do you plan to go about that? I really can't think of anything other than arbitrary rules saying no teaming up or something.

itstomis

Smash Rookie
I haven't gotten to test it out. I was thinking of trying it this past tournament I went to last night. But I figured never mind.

Also, i realized that the answer is to make the SD's - 2 instead of 1. This will make it so teaming up sets you back FARTHER than it would normally and being able to recover your score wouldn't be viable. Also, if players team up on the best, as i said before, it takes a different set of skills. Noticing when players are about to do that is an important key to positioning and seeing opportunities. Teaming up and giving free kills to other opponents means you're most likely NOT going to win anyway if you make "mango" lose. If you make someone else lose, you're going to lose too.
You're clearly not understanding the point of the collusion. The 3 players trying to eliminate Mango don't care about losing. They would have lost if they played fairly anyway. Their sole goal is to ruin the tournament by eliminating Mango, Dr. PP, and whoever else.

This should never be possible in a competitive game. Period.

Top Bottom