• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Clones? Every game has had some so who that is new could we expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
This is the discussion of some new clones.

We had Luigi & Jigglypuff in 64
We had Dr Mario, Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Ganondorf & Falcon
We had Toon Link in Brawl and Semi Clones with Lucas, and to an extent, Wolf (Different enough but still most likely created from Fox) And of coarse the return of Falco and Ganondorf.

They are more likely then we want to admit so we can discuss what potential new clones we could expect to see. I think a Peach clone could be interesting with Daisy or Pink Gold Peach (Yes, I want her). Dark Pit is a strong possibility and Chrom could be like a fusion clone of Marth and Ike.

What clones or Semi-Clones do you think we could see? Discuss any thing regarding them here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Every game reduces the number of clones and even makes clones into more semi-clones. At this point, what new clones do I expect? None. I don't think we'll get any new clones at all, and any existing returning clones will be much more greatly reduced in how they work with the sole exception of Toon Link, who is also literally the only clone we know of so far.

And no, I really think Daisy is a horrible idea. Pink Gold Peach is by far the worst thing I've ever heard and she should've never existed in the first place.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Looking at the current roster, none of the newcomers are clones. I believe the Gematsu leak so lets say that the remaining newcomers are Chrom, Shulk and Chorus men. I'm 100% certain that Shulk and Chorus men will not be a clone. There is always a chance for Chrom to be one, but I highly doubt it. Seeing all the newcomers it would be a real shame if one of them were to be clones. I think Sakurai is really trying to make all the newcomers unique. I'm almost certain that we will have no clones (excluding DLC) this time around.

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Looking at the current roster, none of the newcomers are clones. I believe the Gematsu leak so lets say that the remaining newcomers are Chrom, Shulk and Chorus men. I'm 100% certain that Shulk and Chorus men will not be a clone. There is always a chance for Chrom to be one, but I highly doubt it. Seeing all the newcomers it would be a real shame if one of them were to be clones. I think Sakurai is really trying to make all the newcomers unique. I'm almost certain that we will have no clones (excluding DLC) this time around.
That brings up a good point. Clones seem to make perfect sense for DLC as they are easy to make which also means they are quick to make.

How long does it tend to take to create a character?

jigglover

Smash Lord
This is the discussion of some new clones.

We had Luigi & Jigglypuff in 64
We had Dr Mario, Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Ganondorf & Falcon
We had Toon Link in Brawl and Semi Clones with Lucas, and to an extent, Wolf (Different enough but still most likely created from Fox) And of coarse the return of Falco and Ganondorf.

They are more likely then we want to admit so we can discuss what potential new clones we could expect to see. I think a Peach clone could be interesting with Daisy or Pink Gold Peach (Yes, I want her). Dark Pit is a strong possibility and Chrom could be like a fusion clone of Marth and Ike.

What clones or Semi-Clones do you think we could see? Discuss any thing regarding them here.
Jigglypuff isn't a clone, she's a reskin with TOTALLY didn't moves.

Falcon was introduced in 64, not Melee. Sakurai admitted to having many clones on the Melee Roster to buff it up, but said that he now disapproves the idea of clones.

Toon Link plays surprisingly differently to regular Link, and is someone I would consider a semi-clone (Ganondorf is an example of a full clone, same for Falco in melee), Wolf isn't a clone at all (OMG HE'S AN ANIMAL FROM STAR FOX CLONE).

When Sakurai is doing all that he can to change the semi-clones from Brawl so as to not be clones any more, I highly doubt that he'll add more. Especially with his emphasis on unique characters and playstyles this game, I just can't see it happening.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link I felt is more of a clone than young link. I really don't know why they brought him back if they are not going to change anything. I hope they do cause we haven't seen much of him but if nothing has changed it is kind of a waste of a slot in my opinion.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I am sure there are at least two other topics about possible clones.

(Dixie Kong, any fire Emblem character, Bowser Jr., Impa are all possible as DLC)

ErenJager

Smash Champion
clones occur late in development?
To beef up the roster?
Typically villains?

Black Shadow - Captain Falcon/ Ganondorf semi clone.
Giygas - Mewtwo semi-clone

.... Impa a Sheik semi-clone.... last minute due to huge Hyrule Warriors popularity but no dev time for original moveset?!?

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Waluigi. Alfonzo will take his place as an assist trophy. Clone of Gannondorf. Obviously.

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff isn't a clone, she's a reskin with TOTALLY didn't moves.

Falcon was introduced in 64, not Melee. Sakurai admitted to having many clones on the Melee Roster to buff it up, but said that he now disapproves the idea of clones.

Toon Link plays surprisingly differently to regular Link, and is someone I would consider a semi-clone (Ganondorf is an example of a full clone, same for Falco in melee), Wolf isn't a clone at all (OMG HE'S AN ANIMAL FROM STAR FOX CLONE).

When Sakurai is doing all that he can to change the semi-clones from Brawl so as to not be clones any more, I highly doubt that he'll add more. Especially with his emphasis on unique characters and playstyles this game, I just can't see it happening.
Falcon was a typo and is meant to be Falco, and its like you can't read the brackets. I did say Wolf is different enough but his moves are still most likely built from Fox. Just altered ALOT.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think we'll get any clones as far as newcomers are concerned. Every fighter we've seen so far has been wholly unique, and people who say Chrom would be a clone probably thought that Megaman would be a clone of Samus.:laugh:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Also, Sakurai said that the roster was decided in full at the beginning of development time. So clones are even less like
Y, unless for whateveer reasom Sakurai wanred to put a clone in really bad.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Some clones make very little sense, keep in mind... and often are decided last minute. That in mind, who would have followed this pattern?

Balloon Fighter could be a clone of Villager.
Toad could be a clone of Bandana Dee.
Dixie could be a clone of Diddy.
Mewtwo could be a clone Lucario.
Sceptile could be a clone of Greninja.
Duck Hunt Dog could be a clone of Rosalina.
Impa could be a clone of Sheik.
Krystal could be a clone of Fox (and historically, we get a Fox clone).
Ridley could be a clone of.... Charizard?
King K Rool could be a clone of.... Bowser?

We seem to get them, so I rather expect them.
Clones are not necessarily 'exact,' but all would be slightly skewed versions of the characters I listed.
That said, given customizable movesets, DLC, patches, more people to balance- other variables make me think we could not get such similar characters.

But who knows.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd wager even the semi clones in Brawl (those in the "forbidden seven" and the likes of Toon Link and all) where decided on early in development, just some of them didn't make it in due to time constraints. I think what people are looking for is "low-priority" characters. Which does tend to include a few easy and quick to develop characters such as semi-clones.

Anyway, is it just me or are there already quite a few threads like this popping up lately? :dizzy:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes. Clones confirmed, obviously
We are going to have some clones. And we have our first female clone.
I think Lucina is the most likely to be cut next game, but yes, first female clone.

So, what else? I think four FE emblem characters was a safe bet given the size of the roster (I would have personally preferred ANNA to Lucina but that is neither here nor... no, its there in another thread).

So I continue that I think Sceptile could be in as a clone for Greninja.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping shes an alternate costume because what is the point of having a clone Its a waste of a character.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
At this point, given that Gematsu is pretty much deconfirmed and we have 4 Fire Emblem reps, I think it would make a lot of sense to maybe have King K. Rool playable, and a possible Dixie Kong, who would be a semi-clone of Diddy. I would just feel weird to me if Fire Emblem got more reps than DK, even in one is a clone.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping shes an alternate costume because what is the point of having a clone Its a waste of a character.
Pretty much this. It might be hard to tell the difference between her and marth in a vs match

I'd rather they had brought Roy back, tbh. Even if he stayed a Marth clone, he doesn't resemble marth NEARLY as much as Lucina. Plus, the blue hair is a bit much...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think Lucina is the most likely to be cut next game...
Will people stop saying things like this? The game isn't even out yet, stop thinking so far ahead. Live in the moment. Plus Toon Link stayed, which proves we know nothing.

Also, I rather think Lucina is just a Marth skin. Look at the website. She has a small block like a Veteran, not like a Newcomer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Will people stop saying things like this? The game isn't even out yet, stop thinking so far ahead. Live in the moment. Plus Toon Link stayed, which proves we know nothing.

Also, I rather think Lucina is just a Marth skin. Look at the website. She has a small block like a Veteran, not like a Newcomer.
Wait... you're angry people diminish her character by saying she might be cut *which i'd have said for Toon Link as well, and stil do* and then say that she should just be a skin *which I agree with except even if she is a clone, she does have a block, which makes me think she is a clone, but then perhaps clones are just skins and that is alright with me*

Yams

Smash Journeyman

But her block still says "newcomer" on it. I'm pretty sure she's a clone and not an alternate.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Wait... you're angry people diminish her character by saying she might be cut *which i'd have said for Toon Link as well, and stil do* and then say that she should just be a skin *which I agree with except even if she is a clone, she does have a block, which makes me think she is a clone, but then perhaps clones are just skins and that is alright with me*
No, I'm angry people keep thinking toward Smash 6 when Smash 4 and 5 aren't even out. People keep saying it about Greninja too. And seriously, that's like 8 years in the future. Voice your concerns once the game is announced.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No, I'm angry people keep thinking toward Smash 6 when Smash 4 and 5 aren't even out. People keep saying it about Greninja too. And seriously, that's like 8 years in the future. Voice your concerns once the game is announced.
Well, that is honestly your concern, as it is my opinion, and discussing staying power is a bit of a weighty thing because we arent talking just about how these characters play, but the iconography of who they are- and in doing so we are inherently discussing the gravitas they present to Nintendo.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, that is honestly your concern, as it is my opinion, and discussing staying power is a bit of a weighty thing because we arent talking just about how these characters play, but the iconography of who they are- and in doing so we are inherently discussing the gravitas they present to Nintendo.
Perhaps, but it seems sort of pointless. We can't predict how important these characters will be in 8 years nor can we predict Sakurai's character choices. It is difficult. The man is not easily predictable, at least when it comes to who stays and who goes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, we have yet to actually see any characters get cut for simply "being a clone". Pichu was a joke character, Young Link was replaced by Toon Link and Doctor Mario and Roy where cut due to time constraints. And then there is Toon Link who came back (and Falco and Ganondorf in Brawl who had been remixed a bit)

So yeah, I wouldn't really say that Lucina is a "guaranteed" cut for the next games just because she (apparently) has a similar moveset to another character, no more than Toon Link at least. Only time will tell and if Intelligent Systems actually wants her to stick around for the next games.

But this is a thread to discuss potential new clones/semi-clones for this games and not to what would happen with them for the next games. So to drift a bit back on topic. I could see Toon Zelda happening and maybe Dark Pit as well if the fact that he and Pit looking more or less exactly the same doesn't bother Sakurai enough to make him an alt.... Can't really think of anyone else really besides Doc and Roy coming back.... Maybe Dixie as well...

D

Deleted member

Toon Zelda/Tetra could be cool but I would much prefer different characters! Dixie was always one of my hopes and I wouldn't mind if she were somewhat similar to Diddy.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It's confirmed: Lucina is our Clone Newcomer. Sakurai had confirmed it on today's Pic of the Day (she is also confirmed to be a separate character).

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I wouldn't mind more "hard" clones of less popular but requested characters. Specifically for me, Daisy over Peach.
People are always bummed and expecting new movesets for their choices. But if the character made it in as a clone, it probably didn't had a chance as an original character. Perhaps we can get to 55 characters with around 6 clones involved?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom