• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters: Sablé and Richard (tag-team)

parrothead

Smash Lord
This is a tag-team similar to the Ice Climbers from Ice Climber.

Name: Sablé and Richard
First Game Appearance: Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (A Bell Tolls for the Frog) (Japan-Only)

SPECIAL MOVES:

B: Ultra Fence (This move is a little slow, but it is less than half as powerful as DK's Giant Punch. It is a fence that flashes.)
Forward+B: Hop'N'Slash (Sablé and Richard will transform into their frog forms, while they'll hop and slash simultaneously against their opponent(s), until they send a firm swing against their opponent(s). After that, they'll transform back to their human forms.)
Up+B: Vertical Spin Slash (Similar to Adult/Young Link's, but vertical. Sablé and Richard put their backs against each other, while they hold their swords straight in front of themselves, while they spin vertically.)
Down+B: Snake Bite (Sablé and Richard will transform into their snake forms, and strike their opponents with a poisonous bite that may poison their opponent(s) for a very short time. After that, they'll quickly transform back to their human forms.)

Super Smash Move: Rival Duel (Sablé and Richard puts the nearest opponent between them, then they dash toward the opponent and rapidly slashes and fences their opponent while the battle clouds up around them very fast).

Taunt: Holds their swords crossed together.

Entrance: Appears on stage in their frog forms, while they both eat strange apples to change them back to human again.

And here is the commercial ad.

D

Deleted member

Great. I was waiting for these two to pop up on this place (albeit they do look a little too much like kid Marth and Roy). However, by definition those swords are not made for fencing.

Sniph

Smash Cadet
IMO, too many swords in the game already. And also, "Clone: Richard," Clone??? NO More CLONES!!! :D

Still though, I wouldn't mind seeing them make an entrance. :p

D

Deleted member

Clones are cool, as long as they actual make sense (Ganon and Falcon was questionable). I'm all for clones, especially for those between members of the same franchise.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
WOW! That's a pretty unusual game. But, isn't that the same Richard from Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening?. Well, yeah! Im all for those two at SSBB. Like I say: "More characters will never hurt us".

BTW, parrothead. I saw your sig, and the character from Tomato's Adventure would be an even cooler character idea for Brawl (give him the yoyo and the magnet gloves :chuckle: ).

parrothead

Smash Lord
I know they look like Marth and Roy, but they are shorter, and their heads are quite larger. The pitch of their voices are a bit higher than Marth's and Roy's.

burrito

Smash Lord
Wow, you like those Japanese characters don't you? You must import a lot.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
WOW! That's a pretty unusual game. But, isn't that the same Richard from Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening?.
Yes it is. He made a mention of these guys on the Starmen.net forums and mentioned that the Richard seen here is actually the same guy you have to get Golden Leaves for from out of Kanalet Castle in Link's Awakening. Always wondered why that guy had frogs in his house. :laugh:

parrothead

Smash Lord
Not every swordsman are clones. Prince Sablé is the protagonist, while Prince Richard is his rival. They fight like each other, but not like Takamaru (Murasame Castle of Mystery), Marth, Roy, nor any other Fire Emblem swordsman.

If Sakurai accepts these two swordsman, then I believe their stage's music would sound like this:

http://lesyn.com/kaeru.mp3

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind a SD swordfighter, actually :p

This is a GB game I've been meaning to play for a few years now; thanks for reinstilling the drive!

D

Deleted member

That trailer was utterly psychedelic. I’m all for chibi Marth and Roy though (you don’t mind me calling them that, do you?).

parrothead

Smash Lord
WindGuru said:
That trailer was utterly psychedelic. I’m all for chibi Marth and Roy though (you don’t mind me calling them that, do you?).
That sounds like making fun of them, just like when people thought that Mike Jones was starred in a video game before he became a rapper, but that was a different Mike Jones.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

Sorry to double-post and bump this topic, but I recently created the English Wikipedia article about the game these two fencers came from:

Click Here

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I just got a hold of this game, and finally played it. Yeah, that overworld theme will definitely be in Smash if they use these characters.

But the playstyle is weird. I had heard about it, but hadn't used it before. You basically walk into enemies, like a RPG, and a big dust cloud appears like in a cartoon, and you both start taking HP damage. Whoever loses all their HP first dies. So you really have no control over the fights, you just have to endure them and hope you come out on top. Of course, you can get more hearts for your health meter and stronger swords... I'm at the point now where I can automatically destroy the weaker enemies by just touching them, but it's definitely weird to have a sword and not really use it myself. Graphics are very Link's Awakening esque, might I add.

I guess if either of these guys appeared, they would obviously use their swords, but have some weird way to incorporate the "scuffle" feature. Why not? It's a key part of their game, apparently.

Turning into animals wouldn't be bad either... But would it be done like Zelda to Sheik, or just for certain attacks, or something much more limiting but still a transformation? Like Richard becomes a snake, and can slither around and not get hit, but he needs to turn back to jump/attack/use items. The frog would let him jump really high but, again, no attacking. Stuff like that, I suppose. Isn't there a monkey form? Maybe that could grab items and run/jump, but couldn't attack and still gets hit/very light.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Parrothead, you must be a great help to the Wikipedia so the Nintendo fans can know more about all of those obscure and cool characters. Nice doing!
BTW, FlipTroopa. Your sign is very cool, and I think someone should do already a Jill from Drill Dozer thread, which I support 100%. It could be called "The official Jill for SSBB thread (Not Jill Valentine, morons!)" or something like that...

parrothead

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
Parrothead, you must be a great help to the Wikipedia so the Nintendo fans can know more about all of those obscure and cool characters. Nice doing!
BTW, FlipTroopa. Your sign is very cool, and I think someone should do already a Jill from Drill Dozer thread, which I support 100%. It could be called "The official Jill for SSBB thread (Not Jill Valentine, morons!)" or something like that...
Thank you, Tomasiarity. And BTW, to prove the cameo appearance of Prince Ricard, frogs, theme song, and other stuff from A Bell Tolls for the Frog, here are a couple of screenshots:

This one shows Link and Prince Richard striking their poses in front of the Kanalet Castle gate while the Camera Mouse gives them a snapshot.

And then, after you beat the boss of Key Cavern (3RD Temple), you'll obtain Sea Lily's Bell, which is based on a bell from A Bell Tolls for the Frog, and the word "Lily" inspires what most frogs lay or stand on: lily pads.

And FlipTroopa, are you sure that the official artwork for A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening/DX were created by the same artist who created the official artwork for A Bell Tolls for the Frog?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I like the idea, just don't mke them like MArth and Roy.

Also, the movesets you have set up are for Light fencing swords, make moves for their heavy Broadswords.

D

Deleted member

^ I like that :). Somehow reminds me of Fire Emblem and Zelda at the same time.

If nothing else, that tune has to be in Brawl. Is it possible to download that?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I don't prefer that they be included, I'd rather just have that song(the original, not the remix) as one the extra songs there.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Sniph said:
IMO, too many swords in the game already. And also, "Clone: Richard," Clone??? NO More CLONES!!! :D

Still though, I wouldn't mind seeing them make an entrance. :p
Too many swords? I think there are too many people who fight with their fists. If Sable appears, I would mind seeing a clone. I actually like clones. They dont' take time to make, so they can be added at the last minute, thus meaning more characters.

Prince Richard's house in Link's Awakening (notice the frogs).

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I've uploaded some videos of the KNTNKWN gameplay at the beginning of it. The links are on this thread's first page.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I'm bumping this thread, just so I can ask ya'll a question:

Should I change their movesets? Should I get rid of Prince Richard's moveset just to make him join Prince Sablé as a tag-team like Popo and Nana (The Ice Climbers)? OR should I just leave the movesets alone?

parrothead

Smash Lord
I would want them as a tag team, but meh wh knows never even played the game...
That's because it's Japan-Only, but right now it's available in the emulation world (which I know it's illegal, unless you have the the cartridges and game discs themselves). You don't have to learn Japanese in order to play Japan-Only titles like this. I wish that hackers and translators would translate all of Nintendo's Japan-Only titles into English without adding profanity to them.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Seeing how rumors continue to point toward the Ice Climbers being removed and how Sakurai-san has said that he wanted to do "other duos," I think Sable and Richard are right up there with Lolo and Lala as the best choice for the new SSB tag-team, IMO.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I modified their moveset.

SPECIAL MOVES:

B: Ultra Fence (This move is a little slow, but it is less than half as powerful as DK's Giant Punch. It is a fence that flashes.)
Forward+B: Hop'N'Slash (Sablé and Richard will transform into their frog forms, while they'll hop and slash simultaneously against their opponent(s), until they send a firm swing against their opponent(s). After that, they'll transform back to their human forms.)
Up+B: Vertical Spin Slash (Similar to Adult/Young Link's, but vertical. Sablé and Richard put their backs against each other, while they hold their swords straight in front of themselves, while they spin vertically.)
Down+B: Snake Bite (Sablé and Richard will transform into their snake forms, and strike their opponents with a poisonous bite that may poison their opponent(s) for a very short time. After that, they'll quickly transform back to their human forms.)

Super Smash Move: Rival Duel (Sablé and Richard puts the nearest opponent between them, then they dash toward the opponent and rapidly slashes and fences their opponent while the battle clouds up around them very fast).

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
While I 'm none too fond of Gamefaqs, that's one of of their Top 10 List I more or less agree with...

At any rate, I think Sablé and Richard deserve a spot on the SSBB roster. The fun characters, the clever gameplay mechanics (the predecessor to Link's Awakening in many ways...), the awesome theme song - what's not to love? I'm only a short way through the game and I already love it - too bad my blasted computer is so uncooperative when it comes to ROMs... :mad:

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Dear people who want tag team characters,

The whole tag team idea is what makes the Ice Climbers who they are. If you add another tag team character, it ruins the idea's originality as well as the character Ice Climbers. The tag team idea was meant to be used by one character, and it would suck if used any more than that.

Top Bottom