• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Sadly, I think we won't be getting new character, until at least 4.0. Even then, P:M is targeted towards making Brawl more like Melee, so adding a lot of characters is something not in mind. I did try a mod for P:M, Project M+. It adds younglink and pichu, through the Brawl Ex clone engine. However, the characters were designed for brawl, so If you tried wavedashing or pressing L/R to get up fast, the game would crash. If I knew the P:M clone engine, which the PMBR will never discuss, I could make them usuable and stable.
and why is that you think that?

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
I sincerely apologize for the wall of text. But, anyway, I see where you're coming from about my idea being contradictory. You know, the whole "Why have a duo if they can be separated so easily" deal. I totally understand. One way, I suppose, that could be solved would be having a concept similar to Ice Climbers in that when they use Agility, they zoom together if they're too far apart (with limited range, of course) and hold hands or something while they use Agility. When one P-Bro. is alone or if they are forcibly separated, it functions just like normal Agility. This makes their survivability as a team much longer, presumably solving that issue, while also allowing the two to keep their distance from the IC's and Pikachu. About the double power thing, I think it could be cranked down a little, to prevent overpowered-ness, while also allowing them to keep the self-damage system. While we're on that, you were correct in the assumption that I imagined it working like Melee's. It could, however, be changed or tweaked for balancing reasons. I would object to it being removed completely because I feel it is one of the things that makes the Pichu Bros. the Pichu Bros. I'm not sure how to fix the steep learning curve, but would guess that my previous two suggestions would at least alleviate it a tiny bit. And, I know you said that balancing the self-damage system would be more work than what it's worth, and I honestly don't know how to respond that with a valid argument. I reckon we would just have to see how the P-Bros.' competitive scene would play out. It may be far easier than predicted, or unfathomably hard. The whole high-learning curve I think you are right about. It's steep, and I think my idea for Agility may fix it up a little bit. Maybe you could suggest something? I would really like to hear your idea on how to fix the learning curve.
Also, I don't think the whole swapping movesets depending on the presence of one Pichu is technically feasible, and I'm pretty sure Wobbling was removed for the IC's P:M debut. Please tell me if I'm wrong about either.
Thanks for taking my critique into consideration. Yeah, that form of agility is feasible, it helps the duo's survivability which is the important thing :p. Self damage can go a multitude of ways, I don't want to act like I'm PMBR but for Pichu in particular his self damage mechanic would be difficult to balance because it would either make it overpowered or underpowered; it would be difficult to get it just right. One idea I had for Pichu to make him more interesting was not only to make the player be able to control when he uses his self damage but having the self damage moves have different properties (I called the mechanic "overcharge"). For ex. an overcharged thundershock would be slower, do more damage, and stun for about 1 second compared to the regular thundershock. Ice Climbers also have a bit of a learning curve to them as well, I guess it comes with the territory when considering a duo type character. That and duo characters have their own tech like wobbles (I believe it's in Project M but it's toned down from Melee) so they will always have a pretty steep learning curve :p. The new agility helps newbies survive better than the old and revamp in damage (as a duo) while balancing self-damage should be enough to get new players interested while keeping Pichu Bros. formidable.

Okay, I just don't like the idea of Pichu Bros using the standard forward b because it doesn't remotely help them together but separately it's an additional recovery tool. You pretty much got a creative aspect of Pichu through the Pichu Bros. it just needed some touching up so everything looks good to me unless you plan on making a moveset in the future thoroughly explaining how each move would work (unless it's going to play exactly like Pichu in Melee, which I'm not too much of a fan of) I'm okay with everything now :)

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
That's true. But, Blaziken's roll in the anime recently, and please correct me if I'm wrong, was not a major recurring roll, and he was just another Pokémon. Pichu Bros., on the other hand, were given names and were central characters in a short. They are still remembered today, some 5-6, maybe more, years after their debut, and they've rarely made appearances outside of small cameos since then. Blaziken's roll may have been more recent, but the Pichu Bros. are fondly remembered. And, also remember that the PMDT needs to be considered. Pichu Bros. can be made with a rather simple model, since they don't require near as many colors or texturing, seeing as how Blaziken's fur/feathers would probably be made pronounced, similar to Lucario's fur. Also, Pichu Bros'. moveset would require substantially less work, since almost all of Pikachu's code could be ripped, and then modified for attributes such as knockback angle, damage, elemental side-effect, self-damage, etc. Blaziken's moveset would be able to recycle elements from Lucario/Captain Falcon, several elements would have to be revamped, and certain moves completely changed. Finally, Pichu has an entire set of voice clips ready to roll, whereas Blaziken's voice clips would need to be made from scratch.

I sincerely apologize for the wall of text. But, anyway, I see where you're coming from about my idea being contradictory. You know, the whole "Why have a duo if they can be separated so easily" deal. I totally understand. One way, I suppose, that could be solved would be having a concept similar to Ice Climbers in that when they use Agility, they zoom together if they're too far apart (with limited range, of course) and hold hands or something while they use Agility. When one P-Bro. is alone or if they are forcibly separated, it functions just like normal Agility. This makes their survivability as a team much longer, presumably solving that issue, while also allowing the two to keep their distance from the IC's and Pikachu. About the double power thing, I think it could be cranked down a little, to prevent overpowered-ness, while also allowing them to keep the self-damage system. While we're on that, you were correct in the assumption that I imagined it working like Melee's. It could, however, be changed or tweaked for balancing reasons. I would object to it being removed completely because I feel it is one of the things that makes the Pichu Bros. the Pichu Bros. I'm not sure how to fix the steep learning curve, but would guess that my previous two suggestions would at least alleviate it a tiny bit. And, I know you said that balancing the self-damage system would be more work than what it's worth, and I honestly don't know how to respond that with a valid argument. I reckon we would just have to see how the P-Bros.' competitive scene would play out. It may be far easier than predicted, or unfathomably hard. The whole high-learning curve I think you are right about. It's steep, and I think my idea for Agility may fix it up a little bit. Maybe you could suggest something? I would really like to hear your idea on how to fix the learning curve.
Also, I don't think the whole swapping movesets depending on the presence of one Pichu is technically feasible, and I'm pretty sure Wobbling was removed for the IC's P:M debut. Please tell me if I'm wrong about either.
Give Pichu Bros Volt Switch for their side B.

SilverCitizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
SilverCitizen
Hmm.

A lot to think about, wading through all this salt.

I think I've changed my mind regarding Lyn as a custom built character, but would still like to see her in as a clone. Anti Guy is right, the PMBR are looking more keenly towards characters that would be easier to semiclone. any that they put the time into building from scratch should probably be a series that isn't represented yet - i mean, seriously, i was pushing lyn for it, but I also want Sami in... as a snake clone. the self realization of the irony there is a bit embarrassing.

so if Lyn is a clone, I have to wonder who would be an ideal established character to base her off. a second marth would be a bit cheap, as most of his movements don't really mesh with her sword or style very well. my attention is turned to this -

View attachment 24146

her awakening artwork. the PMBR stated they were considering Marth's awakening outfit as his alt before they decided to start referencing other lords in the series. by this logic, unless i'm told otherwise, using her appearance here as a default is an option. it would certainly help distinguish her from the other lords and her assist trophy.

now, the dual wielding that exists solely in this art makes me think that she could be based off of Pit - she even holds the blades in the same fashion as pit's split bow blades. his bow as a weapon helps too. obvious changes would be the removal of the multiple jumps and anything regarding his shield. many of his attacks (all his throws, Dash, Ftilt, Dtilt, Dair, Bair, Fair, Fsmash, Dsmash) can be simply brought over, some of them modified (Pit's arrow without the aiming/guiding, Usmash without the 3rd strike, "A" combo without the spinning blade strikes) and would basically only need new work to replace pit's spinning blade strikes (Uair and Nair), a new Utilt (i can't see her using the swords like that), maybe a rising double strike for her Up B, an approach tool for her side B like pit's but more akin to lucario's double team, and ye old classic FE counter for her down B. a fast falling pit with more range, a better ground game and in a similar weight class - how does that sound? doable?
Never thought I'd post but I just had to support this. If this Lyn made it in, I would be soooo happy. +1 Lyn

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
+1 voting:
• Pichu
• Black Shadow/Ganondorf
• Isaac
• Tom Nook
• Dark Samus

1/2 voting:
• Paper Mario
• Pokémon Trainer
• King K. Rool
• Skull Kid
• Masked Man
• Lyn
• Andy
• Sami
• Ray MK III
• Sukapon
• Saki Amamiya

EDIT:
-1 (de)voting:
• Waluigi (a very insignificant Mario character that lacks the importance of several other possible Mario representatives)
• Goroh (if Black Shadow is included, an additional F-Zero character wouldn't be necessary and having him be yet another clone of Captain Falcon would just be redundant)
• Hector (an unnecessary heavyweight Fire Emblem character. Ike already fills that role and is more iconic as it is. It wouldn't exactly be fair to give Fire Emblem so much additional representation knowing that one of the slots has already gone to Roy when there are other more deserving characters.)
• Tails (unnecessary 3rd-party representative)
• Knuckles (unnecessary 3rd-party representative)
• Shadow (unnecessary 3rd-party representative)

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
They don't hate Roy. You are talking about a minority of a minority of FE fans that have played Japan-only games.

Heck, I did a poll one time, and most of the Roy-bashers are people who have not even played FE6. They pretty much just parrot the opinions of others, or under the delusion that he ****blocked their waifu (insert female FE character of choice) out of Smash Bros.
I'm just vouching what's on Serenes forest. If you have a different source on Smashboards great.
The two fanbases rarely interact so of course there will be differing opinions

Serenes is more for gameplay in FE, so there's more hate for Lyn there too however.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Sadly, I think we won't be getting new character, until at least 4.0. Even then, P:M is targeted towards making Brawl more like Melee, so adding a lot of characters is something not in mind. I did try a mod for P:M, Project M+. It adds younglink and pichu, through the Brawl Ex clone engine. However, the characters were designed for brawl, so If you tried wavedashing or pressing L/R to get up fast, the game would crash. If I knew the P:M clone engine, which the PMBR will never discuss, I could make them usuable and stable.
it's unfair to assume anything like that just yet. PMBR did insinuate that the new characters would be few and far between, but since the release of Mewtwo and Roy there has been plenty of time to possibly get one in working condition between everything else they've been working on. being optimistic myself, I think it's safe to assume they're waiting for Smash 3DS to release, the full roster finally unveiled and the hype of it to mellow down before teasing anyone new.

and just because it's Project: M doesn't mean it's going to be straight up carbon copy of everything from melee put into it. much of young link's stuff was put into toon link so there's no point in bringing him back, and Pichu.... is still a rather hotly debated topic of whether or not it's even worth it.

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
it's unfair to assume anything like that just yet. PMBR did insinuate that the new characters would be few and far between, but since the release of Mewtwo and Roy there has been plenty of time to possibly get one in working condition between everything else they've been working on. being optimistic myself, I think it's safe to assume they're waiting for Smash 3DS to release, the full roster finally unveiled and the hype of it to mellow down before teasing anyone new.

and just because it's Project: M doesn't mean it's going to be straight up carbon copy of everything from melee put into it. much of young link's stuff was put into toon link so there's no point in bringing him back, and Pichu.... is still a rather hotly debated topic of whether or not it's even worth it.
Yes, but Project M is a gameplay mod, not an expansion mod. I'm not against more characters, but I highly doubt that we'll be getting any. Mewtwo and Roy were added as homage to Melee, as they were missing from brawl and were played on a competitve level. Project M was made towards making Brawl like Melee, more competitve. Adding a completely Viable new-character wouldn't be super easy, being the only current way to add characters are by making clones. Pochu would work, but was not very good for competitve use. Pichu Bros would have a chance, but is doubtful, as it's an already created mod, not made by a PMBR(as far as I know), but Pichu Bros would need a revamp, graphics-wise, and possibly the moveset. To bring a character into the game requires, the moveset, final smash, costume pacs and pcs, css, csp, stocks for all costumes, fighter sounds(replacing another bosses voice), a character select noise(similar to the current announcer, which isn't easy to get), a wiimote noise, name picture for css, name picture for csp, editing of the rsbe01 to add the now ready slot. If they based Pichu bros on the already created moveset, it would require slightly more coding to add l-canceling and wavedashing, then some more coding to get the character working as a clone, revamp the character graphics and moveset, and finally, testing for glitches. It's so much work for what they are already doing. They might do a new character, but I wouldn't get my hopes. If you want a new character so bad, you should use Project Ex(name is self explanitory). Yes, the character won't be legal for tournaments, butit's better than nothing. I was succesful at adding Young Link and Pichu. A lot of you don't know a lick of programming though, so there are other pre-built mods such as ProjectM+.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Yes, but Project M is a gameplay mod, not an expansion mod. I'm not against more characters, but I highly doubt that we'll be getting any. Mewtwo and Roy were added as homage to Melee, as they were missing from brawl and were played on a competitve level. Project M was made towards making Brawl like Melee, more competitve. Adding a completely Viable new-character wouldn't be super blah blah blah
... I don't know why you felt the need to go into detail, I'm perfectly aware of what needs to be considered when making a new CE character. PMBR covered everything in their original blogpost that CLEARLY INDICATES they're keen to put more characters in, time and effort permitting.
also, I'm using the term "new character" to describe any character they can potentially add to the roster, be them semi clones like Roy or original characters like Mewtwo. obviously more of them like Roy though.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Never thought I'd post but I just had to support this. If this Lyn made it in, I would be soooo happy. +1 Lyn
We can't really count this. You shouldn't be voting based on one possible implementation of a characters, especially when that implementation is unlikely.

+1 voting:
• Pichu
• Black Shadow/Ganondorf
• Isaac
• Tom Nook
• Dark Samus

1/2 voting:
• Paper Mario
• Pokémon Trainer
• King K. Rool
• Skull Kid
• Masked Man
• Lyn
• Andy
• Sami
• Ray MK III
• Sukapon
• Saki Amamiya

-1 (de)voting:
• Bowser Jr. (Very likely to appear in Wii U/3DS)
• Toad (I wouldn't want to deprive Nintendo of including a "Captain Toad" for a potential SSB5)
• Waluigi (meh...)
• Dixie Kong (likely to appear in Wii U/3DS)
• Tetra (May appear in Wii U/3DS)
• Goroh (if Black Shadow is included an additional F-Zero character wouldn't be necessary)
• Ridley (likely to appear in Wii U/3DS)
• Ninten (an unnecessary Mother representative)
• Hector (an unecessary heavyweight Fire Emblem character; we already have Ike)
• Tails
• Knuckles
• Shadow
You need to provide legitimate reasons for your -1 votes. Also, votes based on their likelihood of appearing in SSB4 are completely irrelevant. This is essentially a character popularity poll. Any technical issues like being SSB4 will make themselves obvious when the time comes, so you should not be voting to "predict the future." Also Bowser Jr is already confirmed. Tetra "may appear" is more like "highly highly highly likely to NOT appear." And the reasoning for Toad makes absolutely no sense... Whatever PM does has no bearing on future Nintendo games.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
You need to provide legitimate reasons for your -1 votes. Also, votes based on their likelihood of appearing in SSB4 are completely irrelevant. This is essentially a character popularity poll. Any technical issues like being SSB4 will make themselves obvious when the time comes, so you should not be voting to "predict the future." Also Bowser Jr is already confirmed. Tetra "may appear" is more like "highly highly highly likely to NOT appear." And the reasoning for Toad makes absolutely no sense... Whatever PM does has no bearing on future Nintendo games.
My apologies. I should have read the guidelines more thoroughly and will go back to make more specific reasonings for my -1 votes. But I do insist on defending my own thoughts. I do not consider leaked information as a confirmation; I consider it a leak. While I believe it is definite that Bowser Jr. is playable in SSB4, I'm not going to say it is a clear confirmation.

I'm completely aware that the Project M Backroom has no involvement or relationship with Nintendo themselves and that what they do does not affect any future Nintendo titles. I was just merely voicing my initial opinion to seeing Toad be playable in Project M; I wouldn't want to see him. I admit my initial reasoning was not particularly relevant, but I wasn't aware how specific our -1 voting had to be. I have additional opinions for not wanting Toad be a playable, such as the fact that he would be an additional Mario representative, but irregardless.

In relation to what you said about Tetra, I do not see how you can claim she has so low a chance. No one knows the complete roster, we just know that Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, and the those unconfirmed veterans are a part of it. One of the many leaked images shows that padlock on the All-Star Mode menu, which would signify that there are additional characters to be unlocked. I only suggest Tetra because I find it odd that they'd have Toon Link return without any significant justification. Perhaps another reoccurring Zelda character from Wind Waker will appear. Is it so far-fetched to say it may be Tetra? I don't see how it's such an improbable concept.

And if I recall, the PMBR didn't want to include characters that'll appear in Smash Wii U/3DS in fear that they'll be shut down by Nintendo. Therefore I would think the probability of character showing up on the roster would be VERY important when contemplating new additions to Project M.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
My apologies. I should have read the guidelines more thoroughly and will go back to make more specific reasonings for my -1 votes. But I do insist on defending my own thoughts. I do not consider leaked information as a confirmation; I consider it a leak. While I believe it is definite that Bowser Jr. is playable in SSB4, I'm not going to say it is a clear confirmation.

I'm completely aware that the Project M Backroom has no involvement or relationship with Nintendo themselves and that what they do does not affect any future Nintendo titles. I was just merely voicing my initial opinion to seeing Toad be playable in Project M; I wouldn't want to see him. I admit my initial reasoning was not particularly relevant, but I wasn't aware how specific our -1 voting had to be. I have additional opinions for not wanting Toad be a playable, such as the fact that he would be an additional Mario representative, but irregardless.

In relation to what you said about Tetra, I do not see how you can claim she has so low a chance. No one knows the complete roster, we just know that Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, and the those unconfirmed veterans are a part of it. One of the many leaked images shows that padlock on the All-Star Mode menu, which would signify that there are additional characters to be unlocked. I only suggest Tetra because I find it odd that they'd have Toon Link return without any significant justification. Perhaps another reoccurring Zelda character from Wind Waker will appear. Is it so far-fetched to say it may be Tetra? I don't see how it's such an improbable concept.

And if I recall, the PMBR didn't want to include characters that'll appear in Smash Wii U/3DS in fear that they'll be shut down by Nintendo. Therefore I would think the probability of character showing up on the roster would be VERY important when contemplating new additions to Project M.
You must've missed the videos then. There was footage of Bowser Jr., as well as Shulk (before he was announced). As for the other characters, there are leaks about that too, which I posted a few pages back. At this point, the chances of these leaks being true are much higher. Either way, there's been no indication in any kind of leak that Tetra would be playable, so it's highly doubtful. There's also the fact that she was from one (maybe 2) game, and an old one at that. It doesn't make sense for her to be put in SSB4, and I'm willing to bet $100,000 that she won't be in it.

And as for your last paragraph, that's what I've been saying. But at the same time, what I've also been saying is to realize that it's the PMBR that chooses what, if any, characters they want to put in. At best this whole thread can help steer them one way or another if they want to gauge how popular of a choice each character would be. They already have all the other information -- how technically possible it is to make each character, and eventually, who will be in SSB4. They don't need us or any voters here to essentially muck up data about popularity with votes based on things outside of popularity. Therefore we won't allow any votes based on technical aspects.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
You must've missed the videos then. There was footage of Bowser Jr., as well as Shulk (before he was announced). As for the other characters, there are leaks about that too, which I posted a few pages back. At this point, the chances of these leaks being true are much higher. Either way, there's been no indication in any kind of leak that Tetra would be playable, so it's highly doubtful. There's also the fact that she was from one (maybe 2) game, and an old one at that. It doesn't make sense for her to be put in SSB4, and I'm willing to bet $100,000 that she won't be in it.

And as for your last paragraph, that's what I've been saying. But at the same time, what I've also been saying is to realize that it's the PMBR that chooses what, if any, characters they want to put in. At best this whole thread can help steer them one way or another if they want to gauge how popular of a choice each character would be. They already have all the other information -- how technically possible it is to make each character, and eventually, who will be in SSB4. They don't need us or any voters here to essentially muck up data about popularity with votes based on things outside of popularity. Therefore we won't allow any votes based on technical aspects.
I was one of the first people to view the leaked footage of Bowser Junior and Shulk. I was one of the first to believe the leak itself, but that is not confirmation. I believe it is only a confirmation when Nintendo or Sakurai announce it themselves. Until then it is still a leak and should be treated as such. During Brawl's development, Nintendo themselves accidentally leaked Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Ness prematurely, but that was not confirmation either. Were they in the game? Of course. But were they confirmed when that came out? No. That was a leak. I'm not arguing that Bowser Jr. will not be playable, because I believe he is. I just think it is unwise to go "full hog" onto a notion or what is perceived as evidence because there are no certainties in life, but I suppose I take things too seriously. It's just my philosophical bend.

But anyways, I have taken your notes into account and have established a more concrete and relevant list of -1 votes. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
If Masked Man makes it in, his spawn animation needs to be him riding the Ultimate Chimera into battle.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty cool idea for a Final Smash, too. The Chimera's model is already a thing, too.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'd rather the spawn animation be him flying down on his jetpack, but using the Ultimate Chimera for his Final Smash would be awesome.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Idk if a transformation Final Smash could work with a CE character, but if it would all you need is B to bite and control stick to move.

The Chimera would wreck.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
I'm unsure if there is a necessary length of time in which one needs to be a member to vote for this; I saw this poll and decided to create an account so that I could attempt to contribute to it. I did not see a limit on how long one must be a member to vote in the OP, but if there is one I do apologize and understand my opinion not yet counting.

+1 voting:
* Pichu
* Waluigi
* Black Shadow/Ganondorf
* Ridley
* Tetra

+1/2 voting:
* Dixie Kong

-1 voting:
* Lyn -- another Fire Emblem character
* Hector -- another Fire Emblem character

Shadow was previously on -1 but has now been removed due to my reasoning being different than what may happen.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm unsure if there is a necessary length of time in which one needs to be a member to vote for this; I saw this poll and decided to create an account so that I could attempt to contribute to it. I did not see a limit on how long one must be a member to vote in the OP, but if there is one I do apologize and understand my opinion not yet counting.

+1 voting:
* Pichu
* Waluigi
* Black Shadow/Ganondorf
* Ridley
* Tetra

+1/2 voting:
* Dixie Kong

-1 voting:
* Lyn -- another Fire Emblem character
* Hector -- another Fire Emblem character
* Shadow -- would be too clonelike (not much of a fan of the other two, but I can see more diversity from them than I can from Shadow)
This all sounds okay except the reason for Shadow, which doesn't really count because him being a clone isn't guaranteed, nor is it the only way Shadow can be implemented.

Also, welcome to the boards.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Yeah... and generally, a clone is actually a PRO for a character, not a con. Very few of the possible character choices can actually be developed well as a clone.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yeah... and generally, a clone is actually a PRO for a character, not a con. Very few of the possible character choices can actually be developed well as a clone.
I am wondering though, how much does Roy count as a clone? Also, how likely is it the PM team would be satisfied with just clones at this point (Roy being an exception)?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
Oh, I didn't mean to state I dislike clones in general, I just had a misconceived notion about how close Shadow would be without thinking of how different he could be. I do apologize for such.

One question I would like to ask; I saw in Pichu's description that he's the only Melee character in contention. Does that mean Young Link is officially deconfirmed/a costume at best by PMBR?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Oh, I didn't mean to state I dislike clones in general, I just had a misconceived notion about how close Shadow would be without thinking of how different he could be. I do apologize for such.

One question I would like to ask; I saw in Pichu's description that he's the only Melee character in contention. Does that mean Young Link is officially deconfirmed/a costume at best by PMBR?
Toon Link is his spiritual successor. Doc is back as a costume, and Mewtwo and Roy are playable again. That means Pichu is the only one not back at all in some form. Young Link still falls within the rules, but he's unlikely since Toon Link already fills the same role.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Young Link won't be making a return but in many ways he lives on through both link and tlink. For example, young link used to fill the role of a speedier more aggresive link and now tlink fills that role. Also link carries properties of young link such as his double bair. Tlink carries the flaming sweetspot dair spike and also has the properties of link's dash attack applied to his.

Think of it this way. PM Link is a combination of melee link and melee young link. PM toon link is combination of melee young link, brawl toon link, and smash 64 link.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I am wondering though, how much does Roy count as a clone? Also, how likely is it the PM team would be satisfied with just clones at this point (Roy being an exception)?
Roy is the quintessential clone.

And I dunno about how satisfied the PMBR would be...

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Roy is the quintessential clone.

And I dunno about how satisfied the PMBR would be...
So in your opinion, if Roy is the raison d'etre of clones, do you think that if PMDT makes another clone, they will aspire for it to be fitting to the high standards Roy has established? Or do you think Roy was an exception due to his veteran status and demand?
I realize I'm more or less rephrasing my question haha

Shin F.

Smash Master
So in your opinion, if Roy is the raison d'etre of clones, do you think that if PMDT makes another clone, they will aspire for it to be fitting to the high standards Roy has established? Or do you think Roy was an exception due to his veteran status and demand?
I think even mostly similar clones are more likely to be Roy-ified than not.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I think they'll aspire to high standards, regardless. It's just that clones like Roy are more feasible and time efficient.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hell, if it's between that and 1 unique character I'll jump the clone bandwaggon.

We can use a few more roy's, their meta is nothing alike.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
So if I'm remembering everyone, the characters who would work best as clones are Pichu, Dark Samus, Micaiah, Ninten, Sami, Slippy, Liquid Snake, and possibly Hector (the way Ike swings his sword isn't so different from an axe in many animations) and the Sonic trio (depends on how close to the original they end up). They could all easily be Roy-level clones.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
So if I'm remembering everyone, the characters who would work best as clones are Pichu, Dark Samus, Micaiah, Ninten, Sami, Slippy, Liquid Snake, and possibly Hector (the way Ike swings his sword isn't so different from an axe in many animations) and the Sonic trio (depends on how close to the original they end up). They could all easily be Roy-level clones.
Who would Micaiah and Sami be based off of? I forgot Sami's but never heard of Micaiah

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
That is the golden list. I might also add Lyn as an Ike clone -- completely make all his attacks faster and weaker. This goes against the typical katana moveset that's been often proposed, but it also makes her much more worth the cost.

At this point, given alternate costumes, we can probably rule out Hector and Shadow being in PM.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
There's also Takamaru as a Link clone. While I went really crazy with my interpretation of the character, if we kept it basic (no stance switching), it'd still make for a very different swords person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom