• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleck

Smash Master
It's gonna be weird and dumb if I can play as Ridley in Boss Battles and beat the **** out of Ridley with my Ridley.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Heh, if they have decided to do Ridley, they'll certainly have their work cut out for them. Though, having a competitively-viable, excellent-looking Ridley would be quite the amazing addition to the PMBR's resume.

We'll see in time if they'll undertake the challenge or not. Honestly, I don't care about Metroid representation (much as I love the series), I just want to play as Ridley. If they decide not to do him, I'd rather they didn't do Dark Samus as some sort of "apology".

But, again, I like Dark Samus and would probably play her anyway.
I'm not a genius or anything, but to my understanding because Ridley already has a model and several animations on Brawl's code, making him a fighter could be easier than a lot of alternatives. That's not to say he'll be easy, but that is something to take into consideration.

I prefer Dark Samus. Just got done playing around with a move set someone posted on Brawl Vault. I was very intrigued as to what PMBR could do with the character.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
If we got Ridley, I would want his Boss Battles replace by someone similar. Perhaps Dyna Blade. Bosses have never been altered further than their model, so whoever it is would need to be extremely similar.

Although, I do know there's research going on at Kitty Corp right now by a few people looking into changing SSE, including enemy PSAs and perhaps bosses, so it may become possible in the upcoming months to make completely new ones.

Or PMBR could just ignore it since Boss Battles are screwy due to Roy and Mewtwo sounds anyways.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
If we got Ridley, I would want his Boss Battles replace by someone similar. Perhaps Dyna Blade. Bosses have never been altered further than their model, so whoever it is would need to be extremely similar.

Although, I do know there's research going on at Kitty Corp right now by a few people looking into changing SSE, including enemy PSAs and perhaps bosses, so it may become possible in the upcoming months to make completely new ones.

Or PMBR could just ignore it since Boss Battles are screwy due to Roy and Mewtwo sounds anyways.
Dyna Blade would be great! I was wondering where the Clone Engine characters' Sfx will go, I guess the other bosses. I noticed that they went with the two bosses that originate in Smash, I assume this is to not mess with the integrity of beloved characters. But who knows what they'll do

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
It's gonna be weird and dumb if I can play as Ridley in Boss Battles and beat the **** out of Ridley with my Ridley.
OK, you do realize there's no way PM is going to give two craps about the Ridley bosses if they add Ridley to the roster right? They are editing this all for competitive play only, they are not redesigning Subspace in any way, heck, they're ripping out the files of Subspace to replace it with the voice clips of the new characters they add. If you're looking to play Subspace, go play Brawl. PM is all about the competitive fighting.

EDIT: That kind of sounded jerkish I realized, didn't mean it that way, but I do stand behind that so far PM has only focused on the competitive play with no regard to SSE at all.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
OK, you do realize there's no way PM is going to give two craps about the Ridley bosses if they add Ridley to the roster right? They are editing this all for competitive play only, they are not redesigning Subspace in any way, heck, they're ripping out the files of Subspace to replace it with the voice clips of the new characters they add. If you're looking to play Subspace, go play Brawl. PM is all about the competitive fighting.
Besides that, it's not like you can't beat a bunch of ROBs as ROB in the SSE. It's not like you can't have four of the same character fighting each other anyways. Having Ridley vs Ridley is no different than having Mario vs Dr. Mario vs Fire Mario vs whatever other Mario costumes there are.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters.
It never says anything about PM being all about the competitive experience.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I'm not a genius or anything, but to my understanding because Ridley already has a model and several animations on Brawl's code, making him a fighter could be easier than a lot of alternatives. That's not to say he'll be easy, but that is something to take into consideration.
Not really. The PMBR said Brawl models/animations outside the playable characters don't really help for making clone engine characters. The assist trophies are too low-quality, and Ridley's boss model is well made but too big to work for a playable character. I'm not sure whether the animations could be recycled and properly implemented, though. Basically Brawl only gives "permission" to use the character and some good sound effects.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I'm not saying it's not about it either. Only that it doesn't exclude casual and single-player play. We do have turbo mode after all.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
It never says anything about PM being all about the competitive experience.
Project M just rips assets from across Brawl and modifies them to fit with the competitive multiplayer. Have you played Boss Battles lately? Some of the sound effects were replaced with Mewtwo's and Roy's since every alteration takes up a spot.

Single player is lower priority.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm not saying it's not about it either. Only that it doesn't exclude casual and single-player play. We do have turbo mode after all.
Correct, PMBR do care about making PM open to casual gaming as well. Having said that, their primary audience is definitely the competitive community.

Even so, Darkmask was correct in saying that they don't really care about SSE or Boss Battles. They haven't touched them aside from changing boss sounds so Roy and Mewtwo could have voices.

Last edited:

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how using turbo mode can't be competitive, it's a pretty big boost but when everyone is using it it balances out, doesn't it?

Also the single player is still clearly important since they put the effort into boosting the AI but I doubt they care at all about the subspace stuff. Hasn't implementing P:M given that a bunch of crashing bugs anyway?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I don't see how using turbo mode can't be competitive, it's a pretty big boost but when everyone is using it it balances out, doesn't it?

Also the single player is still clearly important since they put the effort into boosting the AI but I doubt they care at all about the subspace stuff. Hasn't implementing P:M given that a bunch of crashing bugs anyway?
No, the game isn't balanced with Turbo Mode in mind. It is simply a bonus feature. It doesn't play the way the game was originally meant to play. The turbo feature doesn't help every character to the same scale; factors like projectiles (which don't cancel into other attacks) come to mind.

The AI upgrades are for multiplayer with CPUs, not the single player in the Adventure Mode sense.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
It has a lot of janky exploits.
A lot of multi hit moves cancel into themselves indefinitely.
If those moves (or the characters) are banned, I guess it can be competitive to an extent.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, are the PMBR going to write a disclaimer within the game that Subspace doesn't work anymore? I mean it clearly says "(Not compatible with Project M)" when you select "With Anyone" in the Wi-Fi section. Since Subspace is now locked, I think it should be given a similar note.

As for Ridley, remember that there are like 3 versions of him and one of them could be the playable Ridley. Hell, they don't even have to change soundbanks if they assign his to the boss Ridley.

And besides, if Subspace is now locked, then, as more characters are made and more boss soundbanks are changed to suit their new characters, then Boss Battles is eventually going to have to be locked anyway. Playable Ridley fighting Boss Ridley and Boss Meta Ridley would be an non-existent problem.

Last edited:

DoubleN

Smash Rookie
Anyone else hoping for Giygas as a stage boss? I don't know exactly what he'd do but I think it would be a great call back considering Smash has already shown massive support for the Mother series.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
At some point, they could just use Subspace small enemy/menu/background sfx instead of boss battle sfx.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Anyone else hoping for Giygas as a stage boss? I don't know exactly what he'd do but I think it would be a great call back considering Smash has already shown massive support for the Mother series.
They can't really make stage bosses and even if they could, I doubt they would.
At some point, they could just use Subspace small enemy/menu/background sfx instead of boss battle sfx.
It would be more difficult, though perhaps possible. Enemies have far fewer sound effects to replace, and a character can only have one soundbank. There are very, very few who would have enough and even then, their sounds are really, really short - not long enough to be replaced with voice clips.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
If he doesn't show up as a boss in Smash 4, I would LOVE to see Giygas in some form in Project M. Devil's Machine stage pls

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
OK, you do realize there's no way PM is going to give two craps about the Ridley bosses if they add Ridley to the roster right?
you do realize that my post was made in what us humans call "jest" right

MLGF

Smash Lord
Are you trying to joke on the internet?
Because the internet is serious freaking business bro. If you joke around here, yous gonna get hurt.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
It has a lot of janky exploits.
A lot of multi hit moves cancel into themselves indefinitely.
If those moves (or the characters) are banned, I guess it can be competitive to an extent.
I was half expecting something like that to be the case. If they have to ban the super unbalanced characters then it'd go back to being like regular Brawl or even worse.

The AI upgrades are for multiplayer with CPUs, not the single player in the Adventure Mode sense.
Works for the single player options like classic mode (Is there an All Star mode in Brawl? I can't remember). Probably fine in at least most event matches too, though I haven't tried those. I thought I was pretty clear in meaning that, no subspace but there are other things you can do there.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So I don't really have anything sketched out for character movesets because I got surprisingly busy out of nowhere. But I did manage to think up a few concepts for Jimmy T. involving stances. Also I believe it is fair to mention now that he probably would take the most animation work of any character, simply because he is a dancer. The only thing that can really be used animation wise is Sonic's "Come on, step it up!" taunt.

JIMMY T. MOVESET IDEAS
“Yo-yo! Everyone got the fever? I've always got it! That's because the dance floor's hot!” - Jimmy Thang

So what, you may ask, makes Jimmy T. an intriguing character choice? Other than the fact he is the master of both Swagnetism and Yolokinesis, he is an amazing dancer. This would make him Smash's first rhythmical based fighter. But also, the style of a dancer easily expands on a recently introduced mechanic offered by Samus in 3.0. Stance changing.

THE CONCEPT
When the idea for a stance change was introduced with Samus, people were immediately intrigued by the idea and the potential the concept brought to other possible characters. The concept of stance changes not only perfect fit with Jimmy's potential moveset, they also can be further expanded upon with attacks that force you into stance changes to add a more interesting dynamic to the mechanic.

For example, lets say Stance 1 is light attacks and launchers, Stance 2 is heavy attacks and KB moves, and Stance 3 is your fallen / prone position. Doing your forward smash attack both hits the opponent and puts you into Stance 2. In this stance you are given an entirely new list of options with certain attacks that put you back into Stance 1. And the option of being put into Stance 3, your fallen position, will allow for grounded recovery or recovery attack to come into play, but also can set you up back into your choice of Stance 1 or 2. A character from Tekken easily relates to this concept. Eddy Gordo (But for Jimmy's sake, he is more physically comparable to Tiger from the same game, whom is a disco themed clone of Eddy).

As for his attacks, they will come in the next Jimmy T. post. But I will say they are going to be obviously themed around dance moves and heavily inspired by the Capoeira fighting style.

For now, these are the only ideas I have. So feel free to share your own, and let me know what you think about this moveset concept.

Last edited:

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Nobody has ever made fun of me in such a beautiful or graceful way. I applaud you sir, for bringing a single tear to my eye. My incredibly sexual manly eyes that never shed tears.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
While I love the idea, you're talking Smash 4. This is a PM forum, which doesn't have stage bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom