• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Does this thread have a point anymore?

The only people who should be allowed to post in here anymore are people who haven't voted. The rest of us should just GTFO, because we are just tlking in circles about the same characters endlessly.
That's why I unfollowed. I just come back to skim.

....and it's hilarious to watch people feed mikey the troll.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I think think it might've been a friendly joke, like over time he was somewhat surprised that Pichu support suddenly came up after the clone engine was announced to work, and decided to give them something to talk about. After all, the first time Pichu was "unveiled" was way before we (or possibly even PMBR) knew the clone engine was finished, let alone existed. So in that April Fools video it was natural that Pichu as a possible character would be a joke instead of a very real possibility like it is now.
I hope they consider it, if only because after seeing how all the other chars play in Project M, it'd be so much fun. What if they gave Pichu its special Lightningrod ability... perhaps it could use Thunder, dealing some damage to itself, but also amplifying the power of its moves with electricity? Think Lucas's Offense Up only applied to regular moves, lasts longer, but doesn't make the moves one-time-overpowered. Or its self-hurt mechanic playing a similar role, making its electric moves stronger over time - both a gift and a curse, as its tiny frame and very light weight make it risky to even stay alive to benefit from it. So many possibilities.

Haven't voted in here yet, so might as well I guess.

Vote #1 : Pichu
See reasons above. That, and the last remaining Melee veteran (counting Tink as Clink), a semi-easy character to port due to its clone-y history with Pikachu and existing moveset in SSBM, and reps the awesome 2nd generation of Pokemon. That, and could act as another female character. Male Pikachu, female Pichu.

Vote #2 : Ridley
Believe me when I say I actually feel guilty for doing this, as it's no easy task to make a completely original character. Luckily, compared to most on the op list, he exists as a boss... so that's good, right? In any case, Ridley is a hardcore beast. Compared to Bowser, he's much more cunning yet animalistic. It would make for a very interesting character to play. Oh, and he'd be huge right alongside Giga Bowser.

Vote #3 : King K. Rool
Why isn't this guy already in the series? Throwing crowns, charging like a champ, hopping around Dedede-style. Plus those awesome alternate costume possibilities. K. Rool is a unique villain in that he's so conniving he's mad. He may not hit as hard as most villains, but he's so unpredictable that he'll almost need not worry about it!

Vote #4 : Paper Mario
The only downside to this guy - his name being part-Mario. Otherwise, he'd be a very unique fighter. With a huge arsenal at his disposal and his 2D nature, Paper Mario would stand out from the crowd easy. Him and regular Mario would be about as similar as Lucario and Mewtwo - which is to say, hardly at all!

Vote #5 : Ganondorf/Black Shadow
What sells this to me is not only Ganondorf getting his own original moveset (which I don't doubt the PMBR would make amazing), but fittingly Black Shadow being a "clone" of Captain Falcon. Seems to make much more sense than Ganon being the Falcon clone, especially in SSBB. I'd miss old Falcondorf, but him becoming his own entity just sounds too promising to resist.

Downvote #1 : Bowser Jr.
Where Bowser reeks of arrogant personality, his son is one of the cheapest and lamest knock-offs to exist. Would more than likely turn out to be a hybrid of Bowser and Squirtle, which... just doesn't sound interesting at all. That, and his voice is extremely grating.

Downvote #2 : Waluigi
A filler character with hardly any personality. Serves his role as an Assist Trophy just fine. It's an evil skinny Luigi... get hype?

Downvote #3 : Shadow
I see people talk about him every now and again outside the forums, and it worries me a little. I hope he stays as the bottom; he has no business being above veteran Sonic characters like Tails and Knuckles, and especially not above regular Nintendo reps.

Sorry if I didn't do this right, I literally couldn't find any other voter posts to compare this to >:

For now, just enjoying PM as is. Looking forward to seeing whatever characters they decide to implement.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I don't intend to speak for him since he can do that when he gets back, but from my overview it seems like he is going on about the fact that Fox and Falco share every animation with each other, whereas the other clones all have their own unique animations.

The only thing is that i'm trying to figure out is what he is getting at, but that will be answered soon.

Random side note: If I remember correctly from lurking here and there the PMBR did want to keep some of Brawl's unique animations for falco but doing so messed with his playstyle from Melee so the idea was scrapped. Considering that Falco was the starting point of P:M as well I could see even more reasons for not changing him.
*Edit: My apologies for the wait

naaah you got it......

Not that I care anymore (I originally was just making a statement about Bowser jr. as a clone and ppl lost it when I mentioned what I said about Falco and Roy) but everybody on the roster has at the very least 4-6 unique ATTACK animations that compliment WHO that character is............If you go based on Falco's properties as a character.........Not even just as fighting game character........but WHO "Falco" is, then he looks to be an empty shell inspired not by his own identity or characterization but all from the core of Fox.

Although it was weird to see at first.......Brawl (Yes, I said the magic word....get nasty lol) was a step up from that for the character in being "Falco"...........Now if this is supposed to be a "Melee Perfect" game then fine, I can't really complain and the rest of the people like me gotta understand that this is designed completely to emulate every single aspect of Melee but that purpose gets DEFEATED when many characters (Like Roy, Mewtwo, Toon Link etc...) we know got so much new tools and things added to what makes that character. Notice that all the characters in PM (clones from melee or not) now differentiate further from each other EXCEPT Falco (All he has is his jab, probably so that PM can say they did do something but that's barely anything and much more could be done). Not even just clones, Default characters like Samus got new things (And hell, she probably didn't even need them), Zelda for some reason plays different with Din's Fire now and other extra stuff. If it's about keeping the top tier character in pure representation then look at our good ole C.Falcon, He can now do spinning peekaboo Falcon Punches along with Ganon.

But Falco.........we gotta go back to the same crap with Falco again? It was all great in Melee because it was his first appearance and we were very appreciative but why go back? Keep the properties just don't revert him back to "Hey I do stuff just like Fox but differently.........Oh Fox can do that? I can do that too =D, Hey Fox can I say Mission Complete on my date tonight? ^_^". No, I'm not saying that they're the same character, and yes the properties do help in separation but he definitely doesn't look/feel like his own unique character true to himself lol. (much more after brawl, coming from melee Falco user)........For the purpose of keeping that advanced teching Falco that was brought down with a very competitive melee, they can still keep most or all of his tools but can there at least be a little more effort into purifying character like the others?

shoot me down if you wish

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
That's why I unfollowed. I just come back to skim.

....and it's hilarious to watch people feed mikey the troll.
pretty lazy if you ask me. It's like "Don't like what you hear? hey call em a troll.......lets do it like the Salem Witch Trials!!"

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
pretty lazy if you ask me. It's like "Don't like what you hear? hey call em a troll.......lets do it like the Salem Witch Trials!!"
Far from that. I wasn't asking you, but you're right; being a troll IS lazy. You get to repeat yourself and laugh at people who are actually trying to understand you and use reason. I couldn't care less about the points that you make, simply because you beat around the bush and demean people who disagreed with you. Ugh. It's trash. I'm out, no more feeding trolls. Though it did provide me with some entertainment, I suppose. You can have the last word if you want it.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Far from that. I wasn't asking you, but you're right; being a troll IS lazy. You get to repeat yourself and laugh at people who are actually trying to understand you and use reason. I couldn't care less about the points that you make, simply because you beat around the bush and demean people who disagreed with you. Ugh. It's trash. I'm out, no more feeding trolls. Though it did provide me with some entertainment, I suppose. You can have the last word if you want it.
Either "troll" has a new meaning or you're describing another user xD

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

The only people who should be allowed to post in here anymore are people who haven't voted. The rest of us should just GTFO, because we are just tlking in circles about the same characters endlessly.
When people aren't voting or getting off topic with things like "how is Falco unique" (this isn't really the thread for that), they post very insightful and thoughtful hype-worthy discussions about characters, their movesets, and other possibilities. It was only through this thread that I learned about Sukapon and I really like him now, since, other than having an already established moveset, his detachable limbs give him the potential to be Project M's take on Dhalsim from Street Fighter. This possibility made me realize how game changing a ludicrously long range grappler could be for Smash and I ended up giving him a full vote! Looking at the results, I'm glad to see him doing well, too!

...Though I'm sad at Toad being in the negative votes. Toad is my jam, son =(

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I got tired of suggesting any I found interesting after the whole Kafei incident...

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

I practically live on this thread, son.
I'd say around 88% of my posts are on here.
Needless to say, this topic interests me very much.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Time to stop lurking here and actually cast my vote.
So if I'm not mistaking, we aren't allowed to change full votes but we can always add one later for a total of 5?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I practically live on this thread, son.
I'd say around 88% of my posts are on here.
Needless to say, this topic interests me very much.

Haha, I'm the same way. I always beeline straight for this thread. It's such a fun thing to talk about because it's actually feasible - it always makes me feel a little empty talking about who could potentially get into the next Smash game, because it's usually like "yeah that'd be great, but it probably won't ever happen." This thread is like the total opposite of that, haha.

Time to stop lurking here and actually cast my vote.
So if I'm not mistaking, we aren't allowed to change full votes but we can always add one later for a total of 5?
Ya, I think that's how it goes. So you could just vote for 1 guy now and add 'em later. Or something!

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Can we add Magikarp to the list of potential candidates? Come on, guys. You know you'd play him at least once. Just look at this majestic creature:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Can we add Magikarp to the list of potential candidates? Come on, guys. You know you'd play him at least once. Just look at this majestic creature:

After that vid I'd play him all day urry day.

Kor of Memory

Smash Rookie
Is there any chance we can reboot this discussion? There are so many pages to look through, and the voting thing seems really confusing with full votes, half votes, and anti-votes. Can we not just have a classic voting thread, were everyone gets their one vote and that's it? I feel like these results aren't really reflective of what everyone actually wants. I'm sure it's also a pain in the butt to update it. Plus with 3.0 released, people may have changed their opinions.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
As much of a troll as it'd be to Pichu fans, I'm kind of hoping the stock icon was a joke in the vein of "You want it so badly then HERE Pichu is "in" the game." I'm going off off the quote someone posted earlier, so don't mistake this for blatant denial, I wouldn't be crushed if he was in or anything.

Did someone say that another Mother rep was a no go?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Is there any chance we can reboot this discussion? There are so many pages to look through, and the voting thing seems really confusing with full votes, half votes, and anti-votes. Can we not just have a classic voting thread, were everyone gets their one vote and that's it? I feel like these results aren't really reflective of what everyone actually wants. I'm sure it's also a pain in the butt to update it. Plus with 3.0 released, people may have changed their opinions.

I think the system Mr. Tomato came up with is actually kinda cool. A standard voting thread where everyone gets one vote would show you what the most popular characters are, but this thread shows you what the most preferable full rosters would be, which is so interesting.

As far as the pages, yeah! There's quite a few now. =) Don't worry, though - if you suggest a character we'd all be happy to talk about it, even if we've already talked about it before.

Actually, I don't think Paper Mario got much discussion (unless I missed it?). I'm bringing that up for no reason in particular, just sayin'.

As much of a troll as it'd be to Pichu fans, I'm kind of hoping the stock icon was a joke in the vein of "You want it so badly then HERE Pichu is "in" the game." I'm going off off the quote someone posted earlier, so don't mistake this for blatant denial, I wouldn't be crushed if he was in or anything.

Did someone say that another Mother rep was a no go?

I'd love one! It wasn't anyone from the PMBR that said that, just a couple of people in this thread that don't want one.

But, y'know, that applies to pretty much every character haha. So if you want a third mother rep, wave that banner proudly! (I'm clearly not biased at all, see?)

Kor of Memory

Smash Rookie
I think the system Mr. Tomato came up with is actually kinda cool. A standard voting thread where everyone gets one vote would show you what the most popular characters are, but this thread shows you what the most preferable full rosters would be, which is so interesting.
But that's the point, isn't it? We want to know which characters are the most popular. We don't need to know which characters are the least. And Project M isn't likely to add in 5 characters at once, they'll likely add 1, maybe 2 at the most. And with that new information, everyone should be considering how that impacts who they want next.

For instance, say Bowser Jr gets in next, how many people do you think will finally admit that, "Okay, we're good on Mario reps, don't need any more." And thus wouldn't vote for Toad or Waluigi.

Or say we actually get Ridley (though I still very much doubt this), would you still want Dark Samus? Or since Ridley is likely to be a slow moving character are you going to want another slow moving character after that? Maybe not. So maybe you don't want to vote for King K Rool anymore.

I mean, even a poll that let you vote more than once would be fine, but half votes and anti-votes is silly. Stick with the tried and true methods.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I mean, even a poll that let you vote more than once would be fine, but half votes and anti-votes is silly. Stick with the tried and true methods.
There are several things wrong in this voting system but half votes and anti votes are definitely not one of them.

Kor of Memory

Smash Rookie
Would you care to explain why you feel that way?

Or even elaborate on what aspects you think ARE wrong?

Shin F.

Smash Master
But that's the point, isn't it? We want to know which characters are the most popular. We don't need to know which characters are the least. And Project M isn't likely to add in 5 characters at once, they'll likely add 1, maybe 2 at the most. And with that new information, everyone should be considering how that impacts who they want next.

For instance, say Bowser Jr gets in next, how many people do you think will finally admit that, "Okay, we're good on Mario reps, don't need any more." And thus wouldn't vote for Toad or Waluigi.

Or say we actually get Ridley (though I still very much doubt this), would you still want Dark Samus? Or since Ridley is likely to be a slow moving character are you going to want another slow moving character after that? Maybe not. So maybe you don't want to vote for King K Rool anymore.

I disagree. We do need to know which characters are the least popular, because that's a significant factor. If there were no anti-votes, (and I'm sorry to people who are fans, but I need an example) then Pichu would be in the B tier above Saki and Masked Man. As it is, he was downvoted enough that he's in the E tier, showing that even though a character has many upvotes, that's not an indicator that everyone likes them or that they're popular choices.

A poll that only allows for up-votes only lets you see half of the data. It's important to get the whole picture with something like this. The reason for half-votes is so that people can show support for others besides their own top 5, which also makes sense.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

That's why asking people to fill all 5 roster slots is so compelling. It forces them to think about their roster decisions as they impact the entire game, and not just in a vacuum. The example that you cited above illustrates that - the person wants K. Rool and Ridley, but when he's building his roster o' five, he looks at them together and thinks "You know what? I don't need two heavy characters. Just one's fine." So he replaces K. Rool with someone else. (Heck, that's probably why K. Rool isn't doing as well in this poll as he usually does - people love Ridley!)

I dunno, I get what you're saying but I think this thread's based on a really fun premise, where you're thinking a bit more critically than just saying "X is my favorite, so I vote X".

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That's why asking people to fill all 5 roster slots is so compelling. It forces them to think about their roster decisions as they impact the entire game, and not just in a vacuum. The example that you cited above illustrates that - the person wants K. Rool and Ridley, but when he's building his roster o' five, he looks at them together and thinks "You know what? I don't need two heavy characters. Just one's fine." So he replaces K. Rool with someone else. (Heck, that's probably why K. Rool isn't doing as well in this poll as he usually does - people love Ridley!)

I dunno, I get what you're saying but I think this thread's based on a really fun premise, where you're thinking a bit more critically than just saying "X is my favorite, so I vote X".

I would agree with you....but Kafei and Shadow.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
+1 Vote:

Ridley: I think it would be interesting to see a character that relies solely on aerials, and who better than a flying space dragon? It would make sense to clone him off Charizard, with all his ground moves sending the opponent in the air. Replace neutral B with fireballs and increase the range of most moves, with a few tweaks here and there, and I think it would be enough. And even though I don't really care about franchise representation, it cant be denied that only 2 reps from Metroid (who are essentially the same character) is underwhelming.

I'll add more later, I can't really think of another character who I would absolutely love to see at this point.

+1/2 Vote:

Lyn: Another sword user is always a plus in my book. Don't really understand what all the fuss is about. And plus, it's a damn katana!

K. Rool: While I have trouble seeing who he can be based off, he's definitely someone who is bound to be very interesting if the PMBR gave him a shot.

Skull Kid: The ideas and movesets suggested for him by people here have managed to convince me that he could be a worthy addition to the roster. It would be very cool to have a "crazy" character.

As for downvotes, seeing as all of my choices are already ranking pretty low, I don't want to stomp them further down the ground.

I have some ideas for Ridley and other characters but I will post them later, I have an exam to study...

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I will admit Ridley would probably generate the most "hype" from the general smash fanbase if he were included.

Seeing Sm4sh seems to be dropping the ball in regards to him.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Hey, one thing I was thinking about for Ridley - a lot of characters with wings have a bunch of tiny jumps, but it might be kinda cool if Ridley instead had one massive jump. Think the type of height that Yoshi gets from his double jump, complete with a really big "FOOSH" effect as he flaps his wings and pushes up.

Not saying he'd have the same recovery mechanic as Yoshi, just a really powerful second jump that's befitting of someone like him.

This would also go a long way in differentiating him from Charizard, who I think he'd definitely be based off of. That change alone makes 'em play totally different.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey, one thing I was thinking about for Ridley - a lot of characters with wings have a bunch of tiny jumps, but it might be kinda cool if Ridley instead had one massive jump. Think the type of height that Yoshi gets from his double jump, complete with a really big "FOOSH" effect as he flaps his wings and pushes up.

Not saying he'd have the same recovery mechanic as Yoshi, just a really powerful second jump that's befitting of someone like him.

This would also go a long way in differentiating him from Charizard, who I think he'd definitely be based off of. That change alone makes 'em play totally different.

This is a pretty awesome idea! Imagining Ridley with little jumps is one of the reasons I always imagined him being really awkward, but this is a very good solution!

S

Sharic X

Why do people think Ridley is too big? I mean, look at Bowser in Super Mario 64 and consider this: he was supposed to be added in the original Smash Bros. on the N64.

So just make Ridley as big as Bowser. Problem solved.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Why do people think Ridley is too big? I mean, look at Bowser in Super Mario 64 and consider this: he was supposed to be added in the original Smash Bros. on the N64.

Most people argue that Bowser is always changing size, but Ridley is constantly large. Still, this is Smash Bros. Canon hasn't mattered since Ganondorf became Captain Falcon's father.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Most people argue that Bowser is always changing size, but Ridley is constantly large. Still, this is Smash Bros. Canon hasn't mattered since Ganondorf became Captain Falcon's father.
If it mattered before that wouldn`t that mean Mario and Kirby would be top tier with one hit kill moves?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

The issue with Ridley, and note: I've wanted Ridley since I saw the Melee trailer so many years ago, isn't that he's too big it's that he's too lanky. Bowser is a brute, so when you shrink him down he still has bulk. If you shrink Ridley down he tends to look like an oversized prehistoric chicken.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If it mattered before that wouldn`t that mean Mario and Kirby would be top tier with one hit kill moves?

Oh boy if that was the case, I hate to see what people would think of Mewtwo replacing Meta Knight in a tier of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom