• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I have no way of getting my hands on those right now as I am a ****ing goodie two shoes that won't pirate the damn things.

You know, now that I think about it, you have a point... does this imply that every American Mother fan is a pirate? 'Cause for some reason, I would find that incredibly hilarious.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I am sorry if I offended any Masked Man supporters. Just understand that not everyone sees eye-to-eye about the character being a worthy addition.

Personally, I would go with these:
- Two new series additions that are not in Brawl (whether it be Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Panel de Pon, Animal Crossing, Starfy, or Custom Robo, there are plenty of Nintendo franchises out there that need more recognition in Smash Bros. An Advance Wars character would easily be the most feasible if using Snake as a base, and overall is the least likely of all of those series to be granted a playable character in Smash 4).
- A DK newcomer (I am fine with Dixie or K. Rool)
- A Metroid newcomer (Ridley is probably the most iconic and important character from a veteran franchise not yet playable, yet Dark Samus would probably be among the easiest additions)

I thought you fevereshly supported Lyn..?
But if you had a change of heart, then that's cool, because ideally, I'd LOVE to see new IPs represented. Give me Isaac, Saki, Lip, Andy, and Sukapon or Mach Rider, and I'll be EXTREMELY grateful. Heck, I never even understood why Balloon Fighter is not elligible due to Villager, (they are NOT the same person. He has a slingshot too, are we going to rule out all slingshot-wielding characters too?) so if BF is in, it would be AWESOME.

...but somehow, I don't think we'll see that happening, as totally awesome as that sounds.

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
You really ought to read to the end of the thread before you post responses. This was already explained to him, and he said that Ninten was back in action.[/quote] I was posting my response during the time someone else posted their responses and I did see the other posts after I was done posting mine.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Oh hey, guys. I whipped up a list of characters who don't have any derivative movesets present in Brawl/Project M:

Donkey Kong
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Pikachu
Bowser
Peach
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Sheik
Pit
Wario
Ike
Charizard
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Dedede
Olimar
ROB
Game & Watch
Snake
Sonic

Rather than focusing on which characters you want I think it'd be more productive (or if nothing else an interesting change of pace) to focus on what moveset you'd like to see expanded upon. Maybe from there you can theorize what a good clone would be of said moveset, but don't you dare try to reverse engineer my system! Or do. I really don't care.

Personally I'd love to see Bowser and ROB derivations. Bowser because he's extremely slow and strong and it'd be interesting to see that turned on it's head. ROB because Project M ROB is one of my favorite Smash characters of any of the games hands down and I'm craving more.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
personally i would like to see a Pikachu derivation, he could be a lot faster, not as strong but speed makes up for it, smaller and cuter, but just who could it possibly be?

:pichumelee:

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
You already said that :/
If I had to pick a look for Ninten, it would be like my avatar but with a red bandana. It's the most distinct and helps to separate him from Ness more than just about any other I've seen.
Forgot to mention, If had to pick a look for Ninten it would like my avatar, just give him the Aluminium Bat and change his Pacman eyes to a more green color in his picture and we are good. Personally, I think this is the most distinct since more clothing parts feature different colors.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Forgot to mention, If had to pick a look for Ninten it would like my avatar, just give him the Aluminium Bat in his picture and we are good. Personally, I think this is the most distinct since more clothing parts feature different colors.
And handkerchiefs...the world could ALWAYS use more handkerchiefs...

Shin F.

Smash Master
personally i would like to see a Pikachu derivation, he could be a lot faster, not as strong but speed makes up for it, smaller and cuter, but just who could it possibly be?

Oooh, you're talking about Plusle and Minun, right? Just kidding. I'd rather have Pichu, I think.

I'm honestly interested in a Samus derivation. Dark Samus is perfect for the role, but I wonder if anyone else is eligible.

Forgot to mention, If had to pick a look for Ninten it would like my avatar, just give him the Aluminium Bat in his picture and we are good. Personally, I think this is the most distinct since more clothing parts feature different colors.

But it looks more like Lucas' shirt. I think the one in my avatar stands out from the others more. With a bandana/handkerchief, of course. It uses a combination of colors that the others don't have, especially the white.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Samus is another one I'd be extremely interested in seeing as a base for a new character. Obviously the first character that is bound to pop into everyone's heads is Dark Samus, but rather than jumping to conclusions I'd like to ask what direction you'd like to see a Samus clone take. Faster? Stronger? More rapid fire attacks? All of the above but with a major flaw to keep he/she/it in check? What does Samus stand for as a character and how can we flip it on it's head? Or would a Fox/Falco approach be better than a Falcon/Ganondorf one?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Samus is another one I'd be extremely interested in seeing as a base for a new character. Obviously the first character that is bound to pop into everyone's heads is Dark Samus, but rather than jumping to conclusions I'd like to ask what direction you'd like to see a Samus clone take. Faster? Stronger? More rapid fire attacks? All of the above but with a major flaw to keep he/she/it in check? What does Samus stand for as a character and how can we flip it on it's head? Or would a Fox/Falco approach be better than a Falcon/Ganondorf one?

Hmm, valid questions. Obviously, I haven't tested her Project M form yet, but in general from Melee/Brawl, I would like her to be faster, in both running speed and in firing her projectiles. I think rapid fire would be interesting, maybe as a scatter-shot type of attack. Weak individually, but dealing decent damage overall.

Ah. I think I may be a bit biased. I'm basically describing the exact way I imagined Dark Samus playing.

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
But it looks more like Lucas' shirt. I think the one in my avatar stands out from the others more. With a bandana/handkerchief, of course. It uses a combination of colors that the others don't have, especially the white.[/quote] The white is the only one the others don't have, Claus' shirt looks like Ness' shirt with a slight difference in color, so I want it to be the same concept with Ninten and Lucas.

Beckstat

Smash Rookie
But it looks more like Lucas' shirt. I think the one in my avatar stands out from the others more. With a bandana/handkerchief, of course. It uses a combination of colors that the others don't have, especially the white.[/quote] It is also Ness' colors but flipped around.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I have no way of getting my hands on those right now as I am a ****ing goodie two shoes that won't pirate the damn things.
It isn't too hard to get a physical copy, the thing is, from there if you want to play them in English the least like a "scurvy dog" as possible, you still have to make your own backup ROM and put the translation patch onto that. I actually own a copy of Mother 3, and Mother 1+2, but I'm still trying to get the hardware and know-how to complete the process.

If you want to get the proper games cheap, that's rather difficult, except for Earthbound on the Wii U virtual console (if you own the system, highly recommended). The SNES cartridge is hilariously overpriced for how many are on the market at any given time.

If you want Mother 3 for cheap, the only thing I can say is watch Ebay like a shark. Occasionally it can go for less than 30-40$ or so, which isn't too great but better than the 70$ it seems to go for on average. Same goes for Mother 1+2 (which has an English patch for Mother 1 out there, but not a complete patch for Mother 2 aka Earthbound) except the base cost tends towards 90$ (got that one for 30, myself :cool:)

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I would like a Samus clone with less emphasis on spacing.
Needs to go hard in the paint.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Hmm, valid questions. Obviously, I haven't tested her Project M form yet, but in general from Melee/Brawl, I would like her to be faster, in both running speed and in firing her projectiles. I think rapid fire would be interesting, maybe as a scatter-shot type of attack. Weak individually, but dealing decent damage overall.

Ah. I think I may be a bit biased. I'm basically describing the exact way I imagined Dark Samus playing.

Sheik + Samus. I like it. I'm trying to remember how Dark Samus fought in the Prime games. Either way, I'm sure one of the MPH Hunters could work with just about any Samus rewrite out there if for whatever reason Dark Samus didn't appeal to someone. And even beyond that there are tons of characters with projectiles from out of the Metroid series. There's bound to be a match somewhere. That's the beauty of looking at movesets rather than characters. There's less irrational bias since the only reason you could possibly have for disliking a moveset is gameplay.

Tofer Dallah

Smash Cadet

:pichumelee:

Raichu ? *just kidding* And yeah Pichu is probably the easiest character to create in PM~

I read the last page and I fing the idea about Nintend pretty interesting ! Or maybe another character of the serie ! :3

(And maybe another FE character. ^^)

Shin F.

Smash Master
The white is the only the others don't have, Claus' shirt looks like Ness' shirt with a slight difference in color, so I want it to be the same concept with Ninten and Lucas.

But Claus' shirt isn't like Ness'. It's yellow and sky blue rather than regular blue. Then, this combination of colors is one that the others don't have. Even without the white, none of them have red and blue stripes. These just feel more like Ninten to me.

Sheik + Samus. I like it. I'm trying to remember how Dark Samus fought in the Prime games. Either way, I'm sure one of the MPH Hunters could work with just about any Samus rewrite out there if for whatever reason Dark Samus didn't appeal to someone. And even beyond that there are tons of characters with projectiles from out of the Metroid series. There's bound to be a match somewhere. That's the beauty of looking at movesets rather than characters. There's less irrational bias since the only reason you could possibly have for disliking a moveset is gameplay.

The most distinct attacks I remember are her Hyper Missile, Phazon Beam, Phazon Shield, and Phazon Particles. She jumps around a lot, and floats in the air. She hardly ever physically touches the ground, so I imagine she would be stronger in the air than Samus, and weaker on the ground.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Ridley can do that, he can go hard to the hole with his bigness. He can drive to the basket with so much ease that lebron approves.
I too would also be intrigued by a samus that traveled firmly into the colorant, and one who would advance into the anus with such vastness that Lebron James would absolutely approve of due to the skillfullness in which it would proceed into the court's objectives.

XRagingxDemonX

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm thinking of creating a sister thread to this one for creating and suggesting movesets for the Characters mentioned in the OP. It gets mentioned enough as is. And people, (like myself) type up text wall posts for movesets anyways. but i wouldn't wanna make a waste of a thread. You guys think it'd be worth it to seperate the discussion and easily keep track of suggeested movesets instead of looking through the 99 pages worth of discussion this thread has?
Do it. The characters suggested really need full fledged move-sets to help convince the mass. Im tired of seeing the same stupid reason as to why one person shouldn't be considered but the same reson that could be used for their character apparently doesn't apply to their character. Or they use lame reasons rather than to delve into details. Hatred over other characters from their own biased opinions come up too much.

Shin F.

Smash Master
PastLink said:
Hey guys, I'm thinking of creating a sister thread to this one for creating and suggesting movesets for the Characters mentioned in the OP. It gets mentioned enough as is. And people, (like myself) type up text wall posts for movesets anyways. but i wouldn't wanna make a waste of a thread. You guys think it'd be worth it to seperate the discussion and easily keep track of suggeested movesets instead of looking through the 99 pages worth of discussion this thread has?
Do it. The characters suggested really need full fledged move-sets to help convince the mass.

I like this idea. After a general idea for a character's moveset is come up with here, then expanded upon in the other thread to leave room here for coming up with new clone possibilities and for voting. That about right? It would make it easier to count up the votes if we didn't need to go through 100 pages to do it.

In fact, we could have a thread dedicated to nothing but vote posts, so that there isn't a lot of text to scroll through to find them all and the posts can be easily edited rather than making new posts and causing confusion.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I like this idea. After a general idea for a character's moveset is come up with here, then expanded upon in the other thread to leave room here for coming up with new clone possibilities and for voting. That about right?
Do it. The characters suggested really need full fledged move-sets to help convince the mass.

thread has been made and started. at your leisure gentlemen

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Someone mentioned how the number of reps should entirely depend on the series' popularity.

In Brawl, Mother and Fire Emblem had more characters than Metroid, Yoshi, F-Zero, and Wario, which were all reasonably more popular at the time. Mother and Fire Emblem have the same amount of reps as Donkey Kong does. DK is far more popular.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Japan loves Fire Emblem and Mother however.
Sometimes I think people forget that the games were made in Japan, they have different taste in games. That's why FE got as many reps as Metroid, although that doesn't justify Donkey Kong by any means.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hmmm... *checks*

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_SSBB_trophies_(EarthBound_series)

Well, I'll be damned. This provides a hilarious counter-argument for the whole "walking spoilers issue". Well done.

Well, what do you know... so it does. It doesn't say that he's Masked Man, but it does let you know that he didn't die at the beginning like the game would have you believe. Interesting. Still, it seems there's a valid argument against his being a spoiler if playable.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
But, like, did anyone really believe that he actually died? As far as plot twists goes they weren't exactly breaking any ground.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Ganondorf's Final Smash spoiled the final boss for me in Twilight Princess guys. Please remove Ganon from the game. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom