• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Either that or a large chunk of the people in Toronto are a joke
You should come to Toronto. I've never met you but I would be more than happy to house you simply because you play Smash. TO gets a bad rep as "Canada's unfriendliest city" but it's mostly BS.

The political situation is a little more complicated because we have something called "The GTA" (Greater Toronto Area) which essentially lets people who live an hour away in the suburbs vote on our daily affairs. It kinda sucks but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Dude, I don't know how many times I've responded to you about this, but I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Do you not understand how surveys work? They poll a small population to get a gauge of the total population. FFS, understand some basic math here.
Have you even taken statistics? Because you're touting math knowledge when it seems like you have little to no experience with it. The sample population here is WAY too small, 50+ out of a 40,000+ population? That's just asinine

It's fine to take this thread as just fun, but making it sound like this is what the majority wants? That's just arrogant and ignorant

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I really just think we have enough sword users, plus we already have a clone AND a semi-clone of Marth.
The PSI kids have a lot of stuff in their games that they don't use in Smash. You can literally change every move Ness or Lucas has and make it something different (and canonical.)
I don't really have anything against Lyn, and to be fair I don't have an affinity for Earthbound either.
That's cool, but unless you have a moveset or explain how they would work or play like i'm still not convinced.

One of the most popular suggestions is to give ganondorf a sword for some reason, I don't think most people have a problem with one more sword character, when most of the roster punches or kicks.

(smashboards won't let me post quickly lol)

Edit: Shin F's moveset sounds OP, PMBR is trying to make a balanced game ya know. Blocking physical attacks, which most characters do, Is a No no.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Funny, that. There's this character that starred in the first game of his series who has perfect moveset potential... *hint hint*
Claus or die.......
In all seriousness though, I just think Masked Man is just a much more interesting character than Ninten. I just think he has more versatility as far as a moveset goes.
That being said, I have never played a game in the Mother series (call me a scumbag if you must), and I've mostly been going off of other peoples' Mother suggestions.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
why not just have 4 Mother representitives? also will Ninten be added to the OP?
"FOUR MOTHER REPS!!?! THAT'S JUST STUPID!!"
"By the way, tally my Krystal and Lyn votes, please."

SEE HOW STUPID THAT IS!?!
Cause THAT'S practically been the case with almost EVERY post concerning over-representation.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Have you even taken statistics? Because you're touting math knowledge when it seems like you have little to no experience with it. The sample population here is WAY too small, 50+ out of a 40,000+ population? That's just asinine

It's fine to take this thread as just fun, but making it sound like this is what the majority wants? That's just arrogant and ignorant

...Yes? I took engineering-level statistics. And I've worked in medical clinical studies, so I know all about power and interpreting data based on a small pool. Judging by the way you're pulling numbers out of your ass, you're the one making asinine statements. We currently have ~150, not just "50+". Also, it's an on-going poll, or is that too complicated for you? Finally, yes, the proportions are currently smaller than what you'd want, but they still have power to make estimates, or did you never learn what confidence intervals are in your stats class?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I have no problems with more mother characters, especially if they had some explanations with their movesets.

Was just annoyed that omgerd 4 FE characters and omagerd 7 characters with swords when most fighting games punch and kick :o!!!!!!!!!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well to be fair the swords are pretty much blunt weapons.
And they're really fun to use, I mean Virgil in mvc3 is a blast, and so is marth in melee. Imo sword users are more fun to play as, then your standard mario or fox. I don't know what the big deal is, it doesn't seem like an overuse of the sword to me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm extremely indifferent to Lyn's inclusion. I was against her at the beginning because she posed a threat to Samurai Goroh as a fellow katana user, until I realised they're so different it'd be like Link posing a threat to Marth.. or something along those lines...
But anyway, the best argument I've seen so far is the fact that ROY already took over a clone spot for Fire Emblem. So it would be great to see some more variety (aka NEW IPs) or filling up the under represented ones.

And I know what some of you may be thinking. "But you´re supporting PICHU!"
But this argument just struck a chord somewhere and made me realise... maybe that spot should really go to someone else as well?
...if it weren't because Pichu IS a Melee veteran.

So now I'm not entirely sure... I certainly would not feel comfortable with TWO clone engine Fire Emblem characters, but it wouldn't bug the heck out of me either. I just think there are far better, and more important choices out there.
I'm not downvoting her, I'm just not listing her anywhere...

As for Pichu? I think I'm bringing him down from a full vote to a 1/2 vote, because:
I still want him in, but there are too many Pokemon characters. (And I just have to accept that PT won't bring SquIvyZard together anytime soon again)
and
Mewtwo already used a clone slot for Pokemon.

So.. updating my roster picks:

+1
*1) Saki
*2) Isaac
*3) Sukapon
*4) Samurai Goroh
5) Ninten

+1/2
-Pichu
-Pokemon Trainer / Red
-Mach Rider
-Ridley
-Dark Samus
-Dixie Kong
-Krystal
-Stance Change: Ganondorf
-Little Mac (just in case)
-Lip
-Andy
-Sami

*-Ganondorf/Black Shadow(I think I've already said enough about this, but just to make sure this is taken seriously, I'm adding my explanation anyway)
[downvote-reasons]
I still think this is a ridiculous idea, no offense. I'm an avid Sonic main in Brawl, and PM ruined the character´s metagame for me just by switching out a few moves and feel of the character that I, instead of sitting in the corner and cry about too many spin moves, actually had the decency of manning up and getting used to the REAL moveset (that even carried over to SSB4)... I'm almost completely sure that Ganon mains won't be happy at ALL to see their character swap moveset with an F-Zero character nobody bloody wants. I've seen it time and time again, people who DON'T CARE about F-Zero whatsoever voting for this option, without giving a second thought on how F-Zero fans feel about this.
Now with the stance-change mechanic, it should be ENOUGH for Zelda-canon-Ganon fans to be at peace, since SUPER SMASH BROS. Ganondorf isn't the same as ZELDA Ganon to begin with (see: SSE, Trophies, non-canon, and more).
Also, this idea should warrant TWO voting slots just due to the ammount of change it brings. It's asking for TWO character changes, one of them being something that nobody REALLY wants, but just as an afterthought to an already selfish idea.
[/downvote-reasons]

* means that this opinion is set in stone.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
And they're really fun to use, I mean Virgil in mvc3 is a blast, and so is marth in melee. Imo sword users are more fun to play as, then your standard mario or fox. I don't know what the big deal is, it doesn't seem like an overuse of the sword to me.
It's a good thing this is a modification of brawl because last time I checked; a brawl was no holds barred.

Blunt swords fall into that category. :colorful:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well Sword-Fighting Styles can be as varied and diverse as regular Unarmed Fighting Styles and that variety can be properly done in Smash Bros. wich is a Fighting Game.

red9rd

Smash Ace
...Yes? I took engineering-level statistics. And I've worked in medical clinical studies, so I know all about power and interpreting data based on a small pool. Judging by the way you're pulling numbers out of your ***, you're the one making asinine statements. We currently have ~150, not just "50+". Also, it's an on-going poll, or is that too complicated for you? Finally, yes, the proportions are currently smaller than what you'd want, but they still have power to make estimates, or did you never learn what confidence intervals are in your stats class?
I don't see anything about a crack smoking mayor in your post, please don't go off topic.

I have no problems with more mother characters, especially if they had some explanations with their movesets.

Was just annoyed that omgerd 4 FE characters and omagerd 7 characters with swords when most fighting games punch and kick :o!!!!!!!!!
Tell me if I'm wrong, but the reason that people are upset about another sword user is that they're other weapons other than swords and hammers.

Shin F.

Smash Master
why not just have 4 Mother representitives? also will Ninten be added to the OP?
Whoa, now, hold up! 4 Mother reps? I love the series, but even I know that's too much. 3 is pushing it as it is, and I'm not inclined to ask for more.

I honestly see Ninten and Claus as equally important and viable characters with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Shin F's moveset sounds OP, PMBR is trying to make a balanced game ya know. Blocking physical attacks, which most characters do, Is a No no.

The idea behind the physical shield was that it's very risky because it blocks damage, but not knockback... useful at low percentages, but highly inadvisable when at KO damage, and nearly useless for dealing out damage. Unlike the standard shield, however, it also deals a portion of damage to anyone who hits it to keep it from being useless next to the standard shield, and it doesn't break as easily. It wouldn't be OP or useless at all if done correctly, which I have faith the PMBR can do.

The Quick Up seems slightly cheap, but much less so when you consider that it would be the same as Offense Up, in that it would require charging to use and would only have a limited time or number of uses.

Anyways, there's always room to tweak and balance him as long as the basis of the moveset is there.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm going to go with "More series variety = good" and "rep the under-repped." as mantra's right now. Seems safe. That said, I do still support Skull Kid. Although...Zelda...

Yay.

Although. I can still feel good championing K. Rool, supporting Dixie (Definitely make her FEEL totally different if you add her though. Different up and side Bs are a must, with other properties on the neutral.) and supporting Isaac, Clayd and Rids.

However, question! I haven't seen anyone bring up Takamaru. Is his character not a sticker or something? I thought for sure it was...

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Tell me if I'm wrong, but the reason that people are upset about another sword user is that they're other weapons other than swords and hammers.
Yeah, like assault rifles, flash grenades, and mullets!

Vote Liquid!

"For a more mullet-filled future, today."

Paid for by the Mullet Party: "We do our business up front."

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I don't see anything about a crack smoking mayor in your post, please go off topic.

I guess, but its not my fault FE is mostly sword users, heck add hector if you want an axe user, sadly he's not that popular. Again various sword styles can be implemented to make that character unique and exciting, just cause a character uses a sword doesn't mean he/she can't be just as unique and exicitng as a non sword user.

@banjo TAKAMARU is a likely candidate for smash 4, which is why we don't bring him up.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
However, question! I haven't seen anyone bring up Takamaru. Is his character not a sticker or something? I thought for sure it was...
"People PROBABLY haven't brought him up because there are clearly too many sword characters. On top of that, the whole Retro thing is over-repped as is, with ROB, G-Dubbs, and Ice Climbers having slots already............GANONDORF WITH A SWORD?!? I WANT!!@!!!!"

#thesaltisreal #hash

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
True enough I suppose, although as much as I want him I'm less convinced of that than nearly-confirmed Little Mac.

Still though, I totally get it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm extremely indifferent to Lyn's inclusion. I was against her at the beginning because she posed a threat to Samurai Goroh as a fellow katana user, until I realised they're so different it'd be like Link posing a threat to Marth.. or something along those lines...
But anyway, the best argument I've seen so far is the fact that ROY already took over a clone spot for Fire Emblem. So it would be great to see some more variety (aka NEW IPs) or filling up the under represented ones.

And I know what some of you may be thinking. "But you´re supporting PICHU!"
But this argument just struck a chord somewhere and made me realise... maybe that spot should really go to someone else as well?
...if it weren't because Pichu IS a Melee veteran.

So now I'm not entirely sure... I certainly would not feel comfortable with TWO clone engine Fire Emblem characters, but it wouldn't bug the heck out of me either. I just think there are far better, and more important choices out there.
I'm not downvoting her, I'm just not listing her anywhere...

As for Pichu? I think I'm bringing him down from a full vote to a 1/2 vote, because:
I still want him in, but there are too many Pokemon characters. (And I just have to accept that PT won't bring SquIvyZard together anytime soon again)
and
Mewtwo already used a clone slot for Pokemon.

So.. updating my roster picks:

+1
*1) Saki
*2) Isaac
*3) Sukapon
*4) Samurai Goroh
5) Ninten
Hey, im glad to see Ninten support, i mean a lot of people just dont want him because its said he could be "too clony" or "too hard to differentiate from Ness" but the truth is that he can be very interesting in Smash Bros. and just as the other Mother characters he could borrow abilities like using Bottle Rockets like Lloyd, PK Beam from Ana, maybe some strength (yet slower) to reference Teddy.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Um, that's how the Clone Engine works. New characters begin as clones and get reworked as far as need be. I chose Pit because he dual-wields as well.
Yes I understand that, but the whole point is to revamp him to have an "original" moveset, not to feel like another existing character. But, anyway, I think I understand what you meant now.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Can we start talking about Skull Kid again, maybe? We're getting back into the same-old-same-old arguments that have been hashed and rehashed a hundred times in this thread already.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Can we start talking about Skull Kid again, maybe? We're getting back into the same-old-same-old arguments that have been hashed and rehashed a hundred times in this thread already.
We aren't really arguing, it's really just me muttering to myself like a homeless drug addict.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

Anyway If the moon isn't Skull kid's FS I will be disappointed.

There brought you some skull kid talk. :D

We aren't really arguing, it's really just me muttering to myself like a homeless drug addict.
All hail the giga-boozer.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
All hail the giga-boozer.
Carlos Boozer for clone engine.

Still better than Black Shadow.

In fact, Giga-Boozer has made me a pretty negative person. Perhaps it's time for change (not that it'll help).

I guess you could say, it's time for me to lay off the Booz............
*laugh track*

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Fine! Skull Kid, because honestly he's ****in hype worthy.

Taunts?

Up - Floats in the air with his arms behind his head and cackles.
Side- Takes out the Ocarina and blows into it. (A literal taunt if you're Link)
Down- He disappears and reappears, doing his odd arm dance. Or cries.)

Entrance: Having him float down lifelessly as if he was possessed by the mask would be ballin' (Or if they wanna test their mileage, have him ride in on Epona.)

Shin F.

Smash Master

There are a few characters I think warrant more discussion, actually. Skull Kid, Ninten, and Jeff, definitely. I'd really like more perspectives and ideas for all of them, because I feel like they have a lot of untapped potential. I hadn't even considered Jeff until it was brought up a couple of pages back.

I personally still want to keep discussing Ninten right now because I feel like he hasn't had enough attention and he's just now had some real discussion, but if the conversation turns to Skull Kid, it turns to Skull Kid. (Although... no reason we can't have both... just sayin'.)

Fine! Skull Kid, because honestly he's ****in hype worthy.

Taunts?

Up - Floats in the air with his arms behind his head and cackles.
Side- Takes out the Ocarina and blows into it. (A literal taunt if you're Link)
Down- He disappears and reappears, doing his odd arm dance. Or cries.)

Entrance: Having him float down lifelessly as if he was possessed by the mask would be ballin' (Or if they wanna test their mileage, have him ride in on Epona.)

Wasn't there some discussion on Skull Kid being a Ness/Lucas clone? They could use Lucas' entrance and change the table he rides in on into Epona. I think I like the floating down lifelessly entrance better, though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wasn't there some discussion on Skull Kid being a Ness/Lucas clone? They could use Lucas' entrance and change the table he rides in on into Epona. I think I like the floating down lifelessly entrance better, though.
Yeah, he even fits the Ness/Lucas posture with his sklightly-leaning-forward-all-the-time look. Although on entrances I think you're right, and the lifeless one may just give his character the "haunting" appeal that he had in MM.

As for Ninten I'm less into him than Claus. Ninten would visually (not necessarily mechanically) be very similar to Ness, and I just don't see the hype, or even just people that don't know the character going "Isnt that just Ness?"

As for Jeff my thoughts are why him over another party member? He IS more recognizable because he's an AT but I'm still not totally sold. (I've played EB and M3 loads as well.) I guess it's that reason that really makes me drift towards Claus.

As for Claus, I'm more convinced because he's about the only really useable villain in the series, and has more clone potential (he can use PSI while Jeff can't.) while still retaining unique move possibilities with wings, bombs etc.)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
There are a few characters I think warrant more discussion, actually. Skull Kid, Ninten, and Jeff, definitely. I'd really like more perspectives and ideas for all of them, because I feel like they have a lot of untapped potential. I hadn't even considered Jeff until it was brought up a couple of pages back.

I personally still want to keep discussing Ninten right now because I feel like he hasn't had enough attention and he's just now had some real discussion, but if the conversation turns to Skull Kid, it turns to Skull Kid. (Although... no reason we can't have both... just sayin'.)

I was suggesting Skull Kid as an example because he was talked about at length and there wasn't really any opposition to him or arguments started that are like the Pichu or Shadowdorf arguments. I'd really rather just see the conversation not steer into those arguments again (and it looked like it had or was), so I'd welcome any character discussion, haha.

I don't know much about Mother/Earthbound because I never played the games, so my cursory knowledge of characters would be limited to believing Claus and Porky to be the best choices for the a new rep. I know Jeff is an Assist Trophy, and that Ninten looks almost exactly like Ness, haha. What's the scoop on them?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
PK Beam has levels, yes, but I envisioned it more like a slower, more powerful version of Fox's blaster, like a very thin, white ray beam.

Kind of like this if it's a normal special:

Or like this, if it's a Final Smash:

As for recovery, 4th-D Slip is an ability he uses to escape from battles instantly in the game, and given its name I figured it distorts time and space and could work like a teleport. It would be more convenient than PK Teleport, since it doesn't require a starting run and has no graphics in-game, so PMBR can be creative with how it's used and what it looks like.

I would love a beam move. Someone needs a straight shooting beam.
Something I would have loved to see for Lucas was a PK Beam that he could use after absorbing 3 projectiles with his down B.. Basically, rather than his down B acting like Ness's where it heals him, I wish it worked like G&W's bucket, but with a beam once its fully charged. Maybe something like that could work for Masked Man?

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I would figure masked man could be a good alternative to mega man as he has similar weapons such as the sword and the "mega-buster"

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Having never played any of the Mother games, Masked Man seems like the best option for a third Mother rep.

At the very least, he looks like he would be the coolest.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I was suggesting Skull Kid as an example because he was talked about at length and there wasn't really any opposition to him or arguments started that are like the Pichu or Shadowdorf arguments. I'd really rather just see the conversation not steer into those arguments again (and it looked like it had or was), so I'd welcome any character discussion, haha.

I don't know much about Mother/Earthbound because I never played the games, so my cursory knowledge of characters would be limited to believing Claus and Porky to be the best choices for the a new rep. I know Jeff is an Assist Trophy, and that Ninten looks almost exactly like Ness, haha. What's the scoop on them?
Jeff is the third party member in Earthbound, and he's unique in that he doesn't use PK attacks at all because he's not psychic. He's a genius, though, and creates devices like explosives and ray guns, so he could be cloned from Snake.

Ninten is the main character of the first Earthbound game, and he's unique in that he revolves around support PSI like buffs, shields, and healing. He's the only PSI user without any direct psychic attacks. He does have potential for a unique attack in Smash, PK Beam, which is an attack that only appears in his game and could be borrowed from his team mate Ana. His official appearance looks similar to Ness, but he appeared differently in the original, japanese commercial, wearing different clothes and a bandana around his neck. This is how most fans draw him, to differentiate him from Ness, and since it was in the official commercial, it's a viable way to present him in Smash. He would complete the trio of characters who make up the main ones in the series.

Claus, the Masked Man, is Lucas' twin brother, and the final boss of Mother 3. He uses a sword, and most of his PSI attacks are thunder based. He, like Lucas, is also capable of using PK Love. In addition, he has mechanical wings and a blaster. He's undoubtably one of the most popular characters for Mother. One of the only points of contention here is that his identity is meant to be secret right up until the final battle, so calling him a walking spoiler isn't off the mark at all. Of course, most people do know who he is, but seeing how many people are introduced to Earthbound through Smash, there's a good chance of spoiling Mother 3 for people just by having him in it.

Porky is absolutely useless as a fighter outside of his mech, which you've seen pretty accurately in Brawl. His moves consist of hiding behind Ness, crying, and ordering Ness around. I don't really feel like I need to expand on him.

I would love a beam move. Someone needs a straight shooting beam.
Something I would have loved to see for Lucas was a PK Beam that he could use after absorbing 3 projectiles with his down B.. Basically, rather than his down B acting like Ness's where it heals him, I wish it worked like G&W's bucket, but with a beam once its fully charged. Maybe something like that could work for Masked Man?

I like it, but shields and PK Beam don't suit Masked Man all that much. Claus has two main, iconic PSI, I believe, and those are PK Love and PK Thunder. He could use a thunder-based variation of your suggestion.

Actually, this is a really suitable idea for Ninten. It would work better than Power Shield from a gameplay standpoint, and it fits his character as someone who doesn't have true attack PSI, but turns enemies' attacks back on them.

... Actually, there is an important Mother character I've just thought of that hasn't been brought up. Giygas. Not his insanely OP Earthbound form, but the one from Earthbound Zero where he was an alien rather than the personification of evil. He was the original inspiration for Mewtwo so he can be cloned from him, and he is one of the few characters to be in more than one Earthbound game. Thoughts, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom