• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
And yeah 3 IS a magic number, it only makes sense to include the one Mother protagonist not yet implemented.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Honestly Mother doesn't need 3 reps, it'd just be cool to have another. I'm fine with Dixie getting in over Ninten or Jeff. Then again there's like five slots or something

Shin F.

Smash Master
3 is too many? I don't know about you, but 3 seems to be the magic number. 1 more Mother rep makes 3, there are 3 FE reps now with Roy, another Metroid rep would basically be 3, there are 3 Kirby reps, 3 Star Fox reps, and then we get into Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and 3rd party titles.

I understand if you have a thing against monkeys, but 3 is not too many.
That's a valid point.

And yeah 3 IS a magic number, it only makes sense to include the one Mother protagonist not yet implemented.

Deal! I'd gladly accept Dixie with open arms if we get a new Mother rep. In fact, I'll edit my post from before to remove my down-vote of her.

Honestly Mother doesn't need 3 reps, it'd just be cool to have another. I'm fine with Dixie getting in over Ninten or Jeff. Then again there's like five slots or something

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
+ vote
I haven’t done this yet... So, here goes:

+1 Ridley - Metroid is by far the most deserving franchise to have another character added, and Ridley seems the obvious choice as the main villain and only other major recurring character. Many other good reasons, but I’ll leave it at that.

+1 Black Shadow/new Ganondorf -OR- Samurai Goroh (any F-Zero character really) - F-Zero, while not necessarily the most deserving franchise to add another character (that could go to Mario given its size and popularity) is the only original franchise with still only one character. There are two possible choices for adding, Black Shadow or Goroh (though I’d love to see Pico). Anyway, Goroh seems not too likely, and Black Shadow would be a great and logical choice for taking Ganondorf’s moveset, and I’d love to see the opportunity to see Ganondorf redone and done right. He’s not a “main” of mine, but I have played with him a lot, and I wouldn’t mind seeing his moves going to Black Shadow and his getting revamped. EDIT: I'd really like any additional F-Zero character here; I'd actually rather have Goroh, but Black Shadow just seemed like the easiest / most likely.

+1 Bowser Jr. - Mario franchise is so huge and quite frankly more deserving than most others, but there are probably only a couple that would actually be worth coming in. Bowser Jr. has become one of the main villains of the series, now (plus, fast bowser ...neat), and Toad has been around almost since the beginning (I think also the only other playable character in a Mario platformer not yet in Smash--I have no idea what his moveset would be, though.) Plus, these guys have been floundering, so I thought I’d give them a little love, which is why I went ahead and gave them a full vote rather than half.

+1 Toad - See explanation above.

+1 Skapon - Of all the new, very different characters from new franchises, I’d like to support this one as Joy Mech Fight was considered by many to be the precurser to Smash. I also like the idea of it being the “answer” or the P:M version of Megaman.

-1 Lyn - My reason really comes down to this, to numbers: Fire Emblem has three characters in it already. If any other franchise was going to get more characters, there are others far more deserving, which I have listed above. I have nothing against Lyn or FE, but simply due to effort, I do not think that FE should have another character added.

-1 Hector - See reasons above for Lyn.

-1 Dark Samus - While I love Metroid and I will be the first to argue that it needs more representation, I hate the idea of adding Dark Samus. I’d rather it just be a costume of some kind for the sake of reenacting battles or something. I don’t feel that DS would add much uniqueness to the mix. I know others will disagree, and I, too, have played Prime 3 and know that there are plenty of unique plasma attacks, but it won’t feel different enough from Samus in my mind. And, more importantly, I do not want to settle for DS if Ridley can’t make it in. I kind of feel like all or nothing. I’m even upset that ZSS was put in Brawl as a way to “compensate” or whatever for no other Metroid characters getting in. I’d rather it be Samus alone or Ridley added. Ridley is the only other logical Metroid character choice after Samus herself. I’d rather it be Ridley or no one else, IMHO.

-1 Dixie - I don’t feel like Dixie is going to add enough that Diddy doesn’t already provide to justify her as a character.

-1 Paper Mario - He has uniqueness. And he has prominence, both in his own games and as being part of the Mario franchise. BUT I actually really don’t like “alternate version” characters. Even TL is always going to bug me in some way (even though I know there are many different versions of the hero, and the split timeline is the only way I can justify that in my mind of them both being in). But really, and this is totally subjective, the only reason I am against Paper Mario is that I don’t like the “same” character being in. I like Dr. Mario, but I’m glad he’s “just” an alt. costume. If another Mario character were to go in, I’d prefer it was someone different.

-1 Plusle & Minum - I really don’t think there should be more Pokemon; 7 is enough. But even if there were more, there are far better choices than these two (or even Pichu, all basically different versions of Pikachu). I’d rather have a totally new type of Pokemon. Other franchises need more representation, and if another Pokemon was added, I’d like it to bring it something really unique. (Plus, I like the IC’s as being the only one’s with this double-team characteristic.)

-1 Krystal - Same reasoning for Lyn and FE apply here for Krystal and StarFox. I love the StarFox series, but really, there are far more deserving franchises. In fact, FE is more deserving than SF at this point.

-1 Tails / Knuckles / Shadow - Call me biased, but I really do not like 3rd party characters in general. Personally, I’d trade Snake for just about any other Nintendo character in a heartbeat. While I like Sonic and even these characters, I really do not want to see more 3rd party characters taking up slots.

Indifferent:

Isaac
Claus
Saki
Tom Nook
Andy / Sami
Samurai Goroh (see above)
K. Rool
Pichu
Tetra / Toon Zelda
Waluigi

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
jeff would be pretty cool with his bazooka and stuff.

doesn't he have a weapon called a shield killer or something? that would be cool if implemented.

And he could have bubble monkey for his Up-B. =)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wonder...

If Black Shadow is created from Ganondorf and the latter is given a new moveset, could we create this Ganondorf?

Dual Swords, flips, glides. He could honestly be a Pit Clone, enlarged and modified. He could be retextured to resemble Toon Link's aesthetic—which is not cel-shaded. With this Ganondorf, the Legend of Zelda series would be more diversely represented.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I wonder...

If Black Shadow is created from Ganondorf and the latter is given a new moveset, could we create this Ganondorf?

Dual Swords, flips, glides. He could honestly be a Pit Clone, enlarged and modified. He could be retextured to resemble Toon Link's aesthetic—which is not cel-shaded. With this Ganondorf, the Legend of Zelda series would be more diversely represented.
I'm not sure anyone would be thrilled at trading one clone Ganondorf for another.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hmm... Ninten would make more sense to be a Ness/Lucas combo type of character rather then Claus. Add the bonus of filling the mother triangle and getting the voice clip should be as easy as splicing the "NINTENDO" voice clip (I'm not sure there is one, but I'm rather sure it likely is in there somewhere...).
But seriously, the groundbounds are some of the most interesting Smash characters, I'd love to see a different form of them.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm not sure anyone would be thrilled at trading one clone Ganondorf for another.
Um, that's how the Clone Engine works. New characters begin as clones and get reworked as far as need be. I chose Pit because he dual-wields as well.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so if we aren't talking about anyone else...

:pt:

EDIT: fine then, ninten. I don't even care

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hmm... Ninten would make more sense to be a Ness/Lucas combo type of character rather then Claus. Add the bonus of filling the mother triangle and getting the voice clip should be as easy as splicing the "NINTENDO" voice clip (I'm not sure there is one, but I'm rather sure it likely is in there somewhere...).
But seriously, the groundbounds are some of the most interesting Smash characters, I'd love to see a different form of them.
Doesn't the guy say Nintendo All Stars in Smash 64? That might work. Or are they only looking for Brawl ones? There's probably a japanese voice clip of it somewhere...

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Sorry man! I just see Dixie as a more likely choice in the eyes of the PMBR. I'd rather have Jeff or Ninten, but I feel like Dixie can rep a larger series. More Mother characters than DK character just seems off (unless you count DK characters as Mario characters).

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sorry man! I just see Dixie as a more likely choice in the eyes of the PMBR. I'd rather have Jeff or Ninten, but I feel like Dixie can rep a larger series. More Mother characters than DK character just seems off (unless you count DK characters as Mario characters).

lol, I know. I actually do consider the entire Mario subseries to be Mario characters most of the time. Honestly, though, if we needed another DK character, I'd want King K. Rool rather than Dixie.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
lol, I know. I actually do consider the entire Mario subseries to be Mario characters most of the time. Honestly, though, if we needed another DK character, I'd want King K. Rool rather than Dixie.
K. Rool would actually be better, just probably too complicated for the clone engine.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
K. Rool would actually be better, just probably too complicated for the clone engine.

Yeah, I've brought this up before, but unlike other characters who I've tried to provoke a little discussion and defense on, no one could defend how K. Rool would work.

He bounces around, throws his crown around, and shoots cannonballs from a blunderbuss. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those (except for the bouncing) would be doable. Meaning that if he were to be done, he'd just be a barebone fighter...

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've brought this up before, but unlike other characters who I've tried to provoke a little discussion and defense on, no one could defend how K. Rool would work.

He bounces around, throws his crown around, and shoots cannonballs from a blunderbuss. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those (except for the bouncing) would be doable. Meaning that if he were to be done, he'd just be a barebone fighter...
Perhaps he could be cloned off of a character with a lot of projectiles. Samus or Snake could work with their array of explosives...

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman

Dedede could work as a base could he not?
The hammer could be changed into a blunderbuss with exploding particles being used as the effects for a gun shot, Waddle Dee and Waddle Doo could be changed into the cannon balls, and the Gordo could be transformed into the crown.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I'm not maintaining that K. Rool is a feasible choice, but I will say he isn't completely and totally unfeasible.

My idea for the blunderbuss off of Waddle Dee Toss would be like so:
Gordos (I don't see why these wouldn't be modifiable articles) are replaced with cannonballs, the power is toned down, and the probability greatly increased
Capsules are replaced with barrels (memory blank, were the capsules removed in P:M?)
If Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos are articles, they can be modified to the paralyzing and slowdown gas clouds (which either hover along the ground in a similar fashion to their counterpart's walking or just disappear). If this is an unlikely addition, they can be removed entirely.

Could also use a neutral B vacuum attack like DDD

I think it's fair enough to say it could, potentially, be done, but comparatively he's less feasible than many other good choices.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I can't imagine their body shapes being modified into K. Rool's though...
I don't think it has to do with that. There have been model imports on kc-mm over characters with absolutely zero similarities but made for PSAs. The bonus from cloning off of Snake/Samus is just the accessory stuff.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I need to get around to writing an essay about Dixie Kong's worth. She is definitely Nintendo All-Star material, and I would say she is definitely the most important female Nintendo character not yet playable in Smash Bros. (the only other character I think that even rivals her in importance to their own series is Palutena).

Dixie Kong is a popular and very likable character in general, so I don't know where the recent spat of downvotes is coming from.

I know in regards to Smash 4 (and when Brawl was released), many people felt that Metroid and DK needed another playable character. Since the Clone Engine uses the file folders for the Forbidden 7, it would be fitting for Dixie Kong to be full developed into a playable character, just like Mewtwo and Roy were.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
why cant we make more than 7 files again?
I think its because there are only seven extra character folders for the coding in Brawl (Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, pra_mai). However, someone involved with the Clone Engine could correct me if I'm wrong.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I rarely post but just had to jump in for this. The last trailer actually got me very hyped for Project: M which I've been mostly indifferent towards in the past, but the clone engine being a thing is just too fantastic. I'd love to vote Geno and Waluigi, since their PSA's are both fantastic, but I see that Geno is not eligible and Waluigi doesn't seem to have a chance. Anyway, on to my list:

Full vote:
Ridley -This shouldn't need much explanation. He's the main villain of the Metroid series, has an awesome design, and there has already been a fantastic PSA of Ridley made. I'm thrilled to see that the "He's too big" mentality isn't too pervasive around here, because I've never understood that one. Plus he could have an awesome Meta Ridley costume. Make it happen, project m team!

Claus - I'll start by saying that I LOVED Mother 3. Probably my favorite non-pokemon RPG, and a big part of that was the epic story behind it. Yeah Claus is an epic spoiler, but he could easily be referred to as the "Masked Man", "who works for the pigmask army" and it becomes a non issue. He could easily be make into a clone - and there's already an awesome skin of the Masked Man over Ness/Lucas by (I believe) Pik. Add in some electric sword moves, multiple jumps with the wings, and some clone-ified PSI powers and we've got Claus.

Black Shadow/Ganondorf - Yeaaaah, I feel that this is a good idea. F-Zero finally gets another rep and Ganondorf gets some love. Everyone wins.

Isaac - Yay Golden Sun!

Paper Mario - Is this possible? I remember hearing that G&W was programmed in a way that made PSAs or importing animations impossible. If it is though I'm all for a game and watch paper mario clone.

1/2:
Toad
Tom Nook
Sukapon

Downvote:
Pichu - I honestly think that this would be an enormous waste of time. Outside of this thread I have never seen or known anyone who said "You know who needs to return? Pichu!" I liked trolling as him in Melee, but for the effort that it would take I don't see this being a good use of time.

Dark Samus - I think that being included as a Samus clone would be a waste of this character. Ridley is higher on the totem pole as a Metroid villain, and a clone Dark Samus wouldn't add too much to the roster in my opinion.

Bowser Jr. - See Dark Samus. Also, I don't see Jr. fighting as a bowser clone. Of course it could be done, but I'd rather the time go into a different character.

Dixie - As far as smash goes I don't see the point of adding Dixie as anything other than a tag team with Diddy.

Lyn - This will sound weird seeing as I support Paper Mario, but I think that Fire Emblem has enough going for it in Project M. That series got Roy back (which I'm very hyped about) but I think that should be where that ends.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Here. I'll propose something for K. Rool. It's my absolute dream and my mission as a gamer to one day see the villain who is arguably (along with Ridley) the most deserving character to be immortalized in Smash Bros.

So let's do this. Of course the typical moveset for K. Rool involves the Blunderbuss and the Crown, but it's been said before how un-doable those are.

Well, Ganondorf is all magic and swords, and what did we get? A bare knuckle brawler with magic fists.

K. Rool has claws. K. Rool has bulk, boxing gloves, minions and all kinds of things.

How about giving him a moveset that uses his weight, his claws and the gloves? His down-throw can be a crocodile death roll (We've discussed that in the K. Rool thread. Some kind of modified Jiggly d-throw or somethin)

Using Bowser as a base might help. Obviously the moves would be different, but the build can work for a brawling set. Stuff like the blunderbuss and crown toss can be implemented as taunts or not at all if its too difficult to build them. Perhaps K. Rool could toss klaptraps ala Dedede's side B, but if not, an invisible rushing uppercut works too. (Seriously, I'm like dreaming if a Flying Croc boxing ring stage, where he does his "HRAAAAAH!" charge to the side with the side-b. Thats another great thing about the King. TONS of useable voice work.

Thoughts Anti-Guy?

The nice thing about K. Rool is he's got all kinds of room for movesets. We've just gotta compromise a bit.

Tofer Dallah

Smash Cadet
To resaid something about the argument that "Pichu suck, he was a joke character":

Kirby and Bowser suck in Melee: Look at them now in PM
Roy was in Melee to make the promo of Fire emblem 6
And Pichu is the emblem of the 2nd gen !

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm gonna throw in my votes now.
+1
Sukapon - I actually played Joy Mech Fight about a year ago. There's so much from that you can use in Sukapon's moveset, it's unbelievable that people called him too simple. He has the head throwing thing as a side B, but you could also give him moves from the other fighters. Also, he is a suitable replacement for Mega Man.

Isaac - Just cos...

Jeff - I don't care if he's not in the OP. My vote goes to him.

Ninten - Shin F. has a really good moveset idea for him. Ninten also completes the Mother protagonists trio.

Pichu - A Luigified Pikachu sounds great. Besides, what's wrong with clones?

1/2
Waluigi - Eh, I'd like him in P:M but I don't necessarily like him as a character. He gets a half vote.

Goroh - I like Goroh a lot but not as much as everyone else.

Dixie - I don't like Dixie but she deserves a spot if she's not in WiiU/3DS

K. Rool - Difficult to make, but cool as all hell. He loses a full vote because inferiority.

Saki - Another female fighter :troll:

Claus - Almost forgot him. I'd rather have the other two Mother reps on here, but I'll take Claus over the other 1/2 votes any day.

Lyn - Too many FE characters

Hector - Don't axe me why... haha... sorry.

Sonic characters - They wont do it anyway. 90% of the fanbase will disown P:M.

Krystal - Too many Star Fox characters.

Dark Samus - Sounds like a boring character. I can't pinpoint why.

Ganondorf / Black Shadow - Talk about a wacko idea. I wouldn't de-clone Ganon in P:M and just make a new character have his old moveset. Black Shadow can wield a sword for all I care.

I'm okay with mostly anyone else.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
would it be possible to clone off link's boomerang for the crown toss?
If its possible, I'd argue that it's the best possible choice for a neutral B. My brain is also loving the:

Side B = Invis Uppercut
Down B = Klaptraps (if possible. Can they have him throw the already-designed thrashing ones in the Jungle Japes river? Is that possible?)
Up B = Some kind of Dedede-esque bounce where he leaps first. Shockwaves optional.

The A moves can easily be a mix of crushing, clawing, biting, and maybe one A attack he could whack them in the face with the Blunderbuss? That way it could make an appearance in combat without having to be designed as a projectile weapon? If not, biting and clawing works too. And charging/jumping.

OH! THE LEAP FROM DKC (without the dropping cannonballs) would be a great Up-B!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm going to keep thinking on the K. Rool issue, and come up with a full moveset that should be alot more doable. All it'd require mostly is slight modifications to existing moves and SOME visual stuff.

Then it'll be time to get the word out. Away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom