• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Fool

Smash Ace
alright, thanks! But you are confusing and merging two ideas. One was to have all his specials revolve around summoning pokemon with no cool-down.

The other was to use pokemon items like the rod or the bike as specials, and have only one move dedicated to spawning pokeballs (the item). Only when it's one move that could be real OP is there a big recharge time. This way work won't be nearly as intensive. That was always my idea.

Also my name.... Nevermind, close enough
Corrected my spelling of your name. But yeah, I didn't mean to put both ideas together, I just meant as two alternative ways the trainer could be included. There are a lot of good ways he could be included...aside from playing as three different Pokemon while watching him run around in the background.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Hey, do you think it'd be possible to incorporate the grappling rope into Tetra's moveset somehow? That was such a fun item in WW, swinging back and forth on that thing. I have NOOOOOOOO idea how it'd be implemented, but wouldn't it be cool if you could stick it onto platforms and then when she's moving around, she can hop onto it and swing around, even attacking out of it and stuff? Or just moving around and she quickly hops on the rope to give her some momentum forward?

Okay I'm pretty sure that's so impossible that not even Sakurai's team at Namco would bother. : > But... those grapple rope physics, they were so fun! Maybe it'd be better as a Side-B where she throws it out there, and if it grabs onto an enemy she kind of "swings" on him and pulls herself up while pulling him down (it wouldn't auto lock onto enemies, it'd be more like ivysaur hitting someone with an up-B). And if she does Side-B onto a platform she can grab, she'd throw the rope onto it and.....swing..... <_< >_>

Yeah really I just wanna swing on a rope.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think it should be either her side or up-B, as well as her grab. All those physics... O_o I don't think so.
Perhaps as a side-B it could be like ZSS's up smash, where it drags the opponent towards her for combos?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Lots of stuff happened when I was gone. Also I think it's funny when people try to force a discussion by just being like "lets all talk about X". That's not how conversation works, the most interesting topics are bound to float to the top, it's just human nature.

Anyway, since Tetra seems to be the new hot thing for the next 20 minutes, I don't think the grappling hook is really a feasible idea. Unless it was ported over Sheik's whip it wouldn't have the proper physics, and even that would need to be heavily altered to work.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Lots of stuff happened when I was gone. Also I think it's funny when people try to force a discussion by just being like "lets all talk about X". That's not how conversation works, the most interesting topics are bound to float to the top, it's just human nature.

Anyway, since Tetra seems to be the new hot thing for the next 20 minutes, I don't think the grappling hook is really a feasible idea. Unless it was ported over Sheik's whip it wouldn't have the proper physics, and even that would need to be heavily altered to work.
It could really just be a clone of Toonie's grappling hook. If they wanted to use it in a special they could give it the same types of hitboxes as ZSS's up smash.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
So, Snake's Nikita is now apparently a tranquilizer gun. Saw it mentioned on some other thread and a quick search led to this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1r104y/snakes_new_sideb_tranquilizer/

I mentioned this a ways back, but it only just sunk in for how it applies to changing up articles. You can apparently do quite a lot if you can do enough modification to make something completely new like that.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
It's unfortunate. It's like trying to set up a kids table for the kids, but the restaurant owners won't have it.
If you can't take the heat don't start a fire, bro. What exactly were you expecting to happen? Making a thread for Pichu would start a precedent for other threads of similar nature and the next thing you know the entire board would be flooded with them. Obviously the PMBR doesn't want that. And seriously? A kids table? How professional.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
DISCUSSION TIME:
Some of the popular characters in this thread like Isaac and Lyn have essentially no available sound files to work with for a P:M inclusion; Lyn has a few available phrases in Brawl that are portraying her far too old, and Isaac has a dainty female voice speaking broken English for three sound clips. Lyn might have something to work with in FE: Awakening, but I haven't been able to find any video evidence that she does indeed speak, considering she's just a DLC character.

Regardless, what is the next possible course of action here? I feel the process of finding suitable voice actors and having the in-house talent to direct them may not be available to the P:M staff as it is now.
their description of snake's new forward smash states that they have access to motion capture tech. I'd say a recording booth and a decent VA for characters with limited/no actual soundbits wouldn't be difficult for them. it's not like there's a lot to record anyway.

and on the topic of :pichumelee:, i really think it's just a silly idea. it should be a shiny Metagross instead.
1376058206854.jpg
... but really, i don't like the melee veteran arguement. i also don't think that's why roy and mewtwo were selected first - it seems like the PMBR used them (the two most popular underdog characters from melee) to give the Clone Engine two subjects to test out just how they can work with it. as a result, we see with roy as a clone of marth comparable to how similar the starfox characters are to each other. then we have mewtwo, who (forgive me if i am mistaken) was built up from lucario, yet with his complete melee moveset restoration he and lucario only share similarities with how their nB's function. so instead of now seeing what they could do with characters that haven't been used in smash yet, we have to waste a slot on pichu because "he was in melee too". as a weaker, smaller, easier to KO pikachu.
and - this is entirely relevant - we have 7 pokemon characters already. do we really want one of five remaining clone engine slots to go to an 8TH pokemon? jeez, people were questioning another FE character...

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think the grappling hook would work best as a grab that doubles as a tether - like Hero_42 said, a copy of the Hookshot.

I really think she should have the Deku Leaf as well. It could be either her recovery (a gust would blow it high when she first uses it, then she would float down), or a side special like when it's used on the ground in Wind Waker to blow a gust of wind.

Besides that, I really think bombs are a good idea. She stole a bunch in Wind Waker and it's a very 'pirate' kind of thing for her to have. I think it should be different from Links' bombs, though. Maybe she just throws it and doesn't carry it at all when she pulls it out.

Fortress

Smash Master
****, ****, CHRIST. If Lyn is considered at all, for the love of Ashera, please don't use her stock voices from Brawl. She is butch as sin. Christ. That's not how I pictured it at all. Such a deep, manly voice they gave her.

And... Goroh was voiced by none other than the Incredible Hulk, apparently.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I think it should be either her side or up-B, as well as her grab. All those physics... O_o I don't think so.
Perhaps as a side-B it could be like ZSS's up smash, where it drags the opponent towards her for combos?

Ooooo, I like that! Yeah, that makes way more sense. Do you think there's a way they could make it her Side-B, and then as it's going out she can kind of aim it a bit? So imagine Zamus's Up-Smash, and when it starts coming out she can push it to the right or the left and change the angle? Maybe not all the way around, but like a 45 degree range or something? I dunno if that makes sense/is feasible, but it might make it a pretty cool special.

I think the grappling hook would work best as a grab that doubles as a tether - like Hero_42 said, a copy of the Hookshot.

I really think she should have the Deku Leaf as well. It could be either her recovery (a gust would blow it high when she first uses it, then she would float down), or a side special like when it's used on the ground in Wind Waker to blow a gust of wind.

Besides that, I really think bombs are a good idea. She stole a bunch in Wind Waker and it's a very 'pirate' kind of thing for her to have. I think it should be different from Links' bombs, though. Maybe she just throws it and doesn't carry it at all when she pulls it out.

Haha, maybe she could have a hand-cannon or something that launches them out. It could have some crazy trajectory things going on, like Yoshi's egg.

I totally agree that the Deku Leaf would be awesome. It was one of my favorite new items in WW, and I was actually really sad when TL didn't get that in Brawl. So it'd be sick if Tetra got one! Maybe it could do both of the things you mentioned if it's just her B - use it in the air and wind blows you up, use it on the ground and you swing it around. Then Up-B could be her tether recovery and she's got a pretty interesting thing going on.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
****, ****, CHRIST. If Lyn is considered at all, for the love of Ashera, please don't use her stock voices from Brawl. She is butch as sin. Christ. That's not how I pictured it at all. Such a deep, manly voice they gave her.

And... Goroh was voiced by none other than the Incredible Hulk, apparently.
I didn't mind the voice but if I recall correctly, her voice actor did work for Dynasty Warriors so maybe they could use those voice files.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
for a girl who is supposed to be 16 in the original japanese release, it was really, REALLY deep.
But I'm not from the land of moonrunes and mangu. Here in the land of freedom and cluster bombs, she's 18.

Like, really deep. The kind of deep that when I got to Goroh, I said aloud, "Oh, here's Lyn's voice clip section".
Like I said, her voice actor did work in DW so maybe her voice in there would suit Lyn more. I need to hear her Lyn voice clip because I've actually forgotten how it sounded (besides manly).

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
So deep, put her butt to sleep!

*cough*

I actually hadn't noticed Lyn's voice, so I went and looked it up. It's really funny how deep that is, wtf? She says "prepare yourself", too, and she actually says it in a deeper voice than Ike does. They should probably switch the voice clips on that, hue hue hue.

Here's the vid, go to 4:20 and she pops up after Lil' mac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3G-kTCMoAc

So yeah, I 100% agree, she'd need a new VA job across the board. That shouldn't be too tough, though - there are plenty of people trying to get into VA stuff, so even something as small as "did VA work for a fan mod that got 100,000 downloads" is something to have on their resume/mention in interviews.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay, so if the fact that Toad is still a part of Peach's moveset basically confirmed by today's Daily Picture ( :( ), can the PMBR jump straight on the "hype all the peoples in da world by including the highly-requested for Smash and very popular and unique-ifyable Toad in Project M"-train?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Okay, so if the fact that Toad is still a part of Peach's moveset basically confirmed by today's Daily Picture ( :( ), can the PMBR jump straight on the "hype all the peoples in da world by including the highly-requested for Smash and very popular and unique-ifyable Toad in Project M"-train?

Ya, I think his chances in Smash 4 just faded like a fart in the wind. Tonight would've been the night to announce Toad, fa sho fa sho.

You know, what would you say about Toad being based off Kirby? Kirby's got some really nice A-attacks, and then you could change things up a bunch where it's appropriate (like, Toad wouldn't have Kirby's fire attack, or any of his specials, but a lot of those A-attacks are nice and crisp.)

Another idea that gets mentioned a bunch is basing him off Mario, and I like that one, too. The one thing I'd say about that is that any move Mario shares with Luigi (sex kick, dsmash, etc), Toad should get a different version of.

Also, Toad's specials could be really cool if they embrace his role as the host of the Mario Party games, and make them star powers or based off some random mini-games. I also like the idea of some of his aerials involving doing tricks on a Mario Kart that he pulls out of nowhere.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
But I'm not from the land of moonrunes and mangu. Here in the land of freedom and cluster bombs, she's 18.
even for an 18 year old, it's quite the stretch.

maybe they could just steal one of the many female voices from awakening. I SAY WHEN IT ENDS kind of works on lyn. but i'd say they're probably not allowed to do that.

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
I'm not really in favor of Pichu, not because he was bad in Melee or because I think we have too many pokemon reps, but because I don't really see what interesting playstyle he'd bring to Project M.

I mean with Roy at least, he looks much different than Marth, has the element of fire with many of his attacks, and a different sweetspot on his sword. He is also the more powerful but slightly slower version of Marth, a fast character.

Pichu on the other hand has very few major qualities that distinguish him from Pikachu, other than the fact he hurt himself in Melee. Pichu would most likely be a slightly faster version of Pikachu, an already fast character, with some slightly different hitboxes on his moves, maybe a few different attacks, and the gimmick of hurting himself. Honestly, that doesn't sound interesting or fun enough for me to happy with P:M using up a character slot.

I also think it's interesting no one has suggested Bulbasaur in this thread. I feel like he would bring about as much to the table as Pichu, the only difference is Pichu was in Melee.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
What kind of playstyle do you guys see Ridley having?

I mentioned earlier that I can see him being the "Arakune" of the game. His game would revolve around flying around everywhere and using projectiles to control space and set up for combos.

I guess it's tricky thinking of a playstyle (though I'm sure there have been movesets, etc posted earlier in the read. Making movesets isn't my strong suit to be honest.) I was thinking it would have to be something that took advantage of the fact that he has wings, but at the same time was faithful to his canon portrayal in the actual Metroid games.

I was thinking that his bread and butter could revolve around flying in midair and nailing enemies with those fireballs he loves to shoot from his mouth. On hit, they could knock foes upward where Ridley could combo them in midair. It would make for a novel contrast to Charizard.
A big part of Zard's game revolves around launching enemies and comboing them in midair, while Ridley could spend most of his time in the air to begin with and have a moveset that lends itself to bringing the enemies to him.

Stop me if any of this sounds redundant. haha

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Naw, that sounds awesome. I'll be honest, I love thinking up movesets, but when it comes to Ridley I have almost no idea what he'd play like, outside of "Charizard as a base". It's really hard for me to envision what his actual attacks and specials would look like. I'd love to see him in the game, though.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Naw, that sounds awesome. I'll be honest, I love thinking up movesets, but when it comes to Ridley I have almost no idea what he'd play like, outside of "Charizard as a base". It's really hard for me to envision what his actual attacks and specials would look like. I'd love to see him in the game, though.
Haha, I'm the polar opposite. I like to think of playstyles, but I feel overwhelmed thinking up movesets.
As a reference for the last post, this is the Ridley fight in Super Metroid.

I was also thinking that there should be a more defensively oriented keepaway character amongst the additions. I think Issac would work well for the position, considering that most of the swordsmen we already have seem to be more offensively-oriented characters.(Marth, Metaknight, etc). His sword-based attacks could be mostly "get out" moves to clear space for him to pelt them with earth magic-- rocks fall, everyone dies. Heck, even his SSBB assist was based around pushing people away, and not rushing them down. Not that I'm the most qualified to talk about Isaac any more in-depth, as I've yet to play Golden Sun. It's just an idea.

(The only question is who they could clone in order to get Issac up and running...)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
What about Phantom Ganon.[collapse=Picture]
[/collapse]He got pretty much all Ganondorf most used abilities:
Electric projectile, teleporting, levitating, trident, and it wouldn't be strange giving him other magic Ganon uses.
So he could potentially be a choice for a magic + weapon using Ganondorf, and unlike the Black shadow/Ganondorf idea you wouldn't need to change an old character.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Pichu hurts himself every time he does an electrical attack. The risk/reward for using Pichu's best moves is higher than any other character since every move he makes brings him closer to death. Project M seems like the perfect setting to experiment with a character like that.

There's no other character who damages themselves with half their moves. Pichu is uniquely compelling for that reason. He certainly brings more to the table than Roy.

D

Deleted member

My downvotes:

-Lyn: She's overrated and unwarranted. 'Nuff said.

**** you Yuii, you loveble bear-lion Pokemon thing.

That one hit me right in the feels.

Anyway, just out of curiousity What impossible character would you like to see?

[collapse=my pick]

[/collapse]

Too bad it breaks ALL the rules. One can still dream though...

I know it's not a very on-topic discussion, but I JUST WANNA END THE PICHU DEBATES, I'VE HAD IT THE DAMN THING.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
**** you Yuii, you loveble bear-lion Pokemon thing.

That one hit me right in the feels.

Anyway, just out of curiousity What impossible character would you like to see?

[collapse=my pick]

[/collapse]

Too bad it breaks ALL the rules. One can still dream though...

I know it's not a very on-topic discussion, but I JUST WANNA END THE PICHU DEBATES, I'VE HAD IT THE DAMN THING.
While the Pichuist are a vocal (very vocal) minority, they have opinions and we can`t stop them from having opinions and when they have a very popular thread specifically made for them to voice these opinions, they are not going to just shut up because we want them to.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So deep, put her butt to sleep!

*cough*

I actually hadn't noticed Lyn's voice, so I went and looked it up. It's really funny how deep that is, wtf? She says "prepare yourself", too, and she actually says it in a deeper voice than Ike does. They should probably switch the voice clips on that, hue hue hue.

Here's the vid, go to 4:20 and she pops up after Lil' mac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3G-kTCMoAc

So yeah, I 100% agree, she'd need a new VA job across the board. That shouldn't be too tough, though - there are plenty of people trying to get into VA stuff, so even something as small as "did VA work for a fan mod that got 100,000 downloads" is something to have on their resume/mention in interviews.
It seemed fine to me but majority wins I guess.

Yeah? Who'd they get to do that voice acting? Hulk Hogan?
WHATCHA GONNA DO BANDIT WHEN THE LORCA LORD RUN CRITICAL HIT ON YOU?

D

Deleted member

While the Pichuist are a vocal (very vocal) minority, they have opinions and we can`t stop them from having opinions and when they have a very popular thread specifically made for them to voice these opinions, they are not going to just shut up because we want them to.
They're welcome to having their own opinions, but for the love of God, PLEASE quit shoving them in people's faces.

We get it.

You want Pichu in PM. But really, all they're doing is making people more and more antagonistic toward the idea. Soon, everyone is gonna bail from the thread because they're gonna be fed up with discussing a tired topic.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...You think that sounded manly?

Ugh...Nerds on the internet, I swear. Where moderately masculine guy apparently looks exactly like a girl and a woman with a mature, adult voice apparently sounds like a man.

for a girl who is supposed to be 16 in the original japanese release, it was really, REALLY deep.
If you listen to her Japanese voice clip for Brawl, it definitely sounds younger. Though it sounds less like a 16 year old and more like a 12 year old.

By the way, she was 15 in the original Japanese release. Not 16. She's 18 in the American release, just to clarify.

Edit: Ah, I see where you got 16 from. You're thinking of Eliwood's/Hector's story where she's 16/19.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hmm... Charizard focus is on using moves to launch the character high in the air and then input pressure in the air. Then he has some moves that focus on spacing using his B and B-> specials and some of his ground tilts.
I want Ridley to be an extremely fast aerial rushdown character. To hell with Charizard's spacing, just have Ridley be able to swoop down and create pressure using his aerial's and have his specials be high-risk high-reward. Just give Ridley specials that have him jump across that stage with some weak, but quick, moves and have a ball making the opponent play YOUR game.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
They're welcome to having their own opinions, but for the love of God, PLEASE quit shoving them in people's faces.

We get it.

You want Pichu in PM. But really, all they're doing is making people more and more antagonistic toward the idea. Soon, everyone is gonna bail from the thread because they're gonna be fed up with discussing a tired topic.

Then maybe anti-pichu people should quit bringing him up. Historically they've been the ones who started all the discussions. You can't just make comments like "I don't see what ___ will bring to the table" or "____ would be a waste of a character slot" and not expect fans of ___ to come rushing in to prove you wrong. And yes, obviously in this case the blanks are Pichu, but the same applies for any and every character out there.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
honestly, at this point the biggest reason I don't want pichu is that it might get in the way of sombody else.

anyway, how about Mona from Warioware?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Then maybe anti-pichu people should quit bringing him up. Historically they've been the ones who started all the discussions. You can't just make comments like "I don't see what ___ will bring to the table" or "____ would be a waste of a character slot" and not expect fans of ___ to come rushing in to prove you wrong. And yes, obviously in this case the blanks are Pichu, but the same applies for any and every character out there.
Uh, yeah. Bull****.

When people say they don't see what a certain thing brings to the table, it's always in response to people bringing up that thing first.

Don't try to play the "victim" here. It's silly.

Tofer Dallah

Smash Cadet
If you can't take the heat don't start a fire, bro. What exactly were you expecting to happen? Making a thread for Pichu would start a precedent for other threads of similar nature and the next thing you know the entire board would be flooded with them. Obviously the PMBR doesn't want that. And seriously? A kids table? How professional.
True ! About the kid table, I feel people just don't take us seriously...

And we don't play the victims, we are just persistant ! Okay you don't want Pichu in PM and we probably don't want many of your choice too. It subjective. Any character could fit in the game. And event if many people said no: He was in Melee and his fan base is still pretty big if the thread still talking about Pichu...

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
...You think that sounded manly?

Ugh...Nerds on the internet, I swear. Where moderately masculine guy apparently looks exactly like a girl and a woman with a mature, adult voice apparently sounds like a man.

If you listen to her Japanese voice clip for Brawl, it definitely sounds younger. Though it sounds less like a 16 year old and more like a 12 year old.

By the way, she was 15 in the original Japanese release. Not 16. She's 18 in the American release, just to clarify.

Edit: Ah, I see where you got 16 from. You're thinking of Eliwood's/Hector's story where she's 16/19.
the problem isn't that it's manly, it's that it's a very deep female voice that made her sound 30-something.

either way, if she were to be included, the PMBR would need new soundbits for everything else she does - it's not hard to imagine them scrapping the 3 existing ones and replacing/redoing them so they all matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom