• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
srsly why is there no good vertex/texture/model of ashley for lucas/ness other than those 2 scary ones on BV.
wish i knew how to rip models/files from games, I'd gnab Ashley's Assist Trophy model immediately.
Either because proportions are different or not many want to do that. Those 2 are just Lucas edited to look like her.

It takes a lot more than that. You also need to know how to rig models, how to make them work in SSBB and in few cases even how to "T-Pose" model before rigging.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Either because proportions are different or not many want to do that. Those 2 are just Lucas edited to look like her.

It takes a lot more than that. You also need to know how to rig models, how to make them work in SSBB and in few cases even how to "T-Pose" model before rigging.
Rigging, as well as taking a model from whatever file it started as (lets say, .pxs for example) and making it usable for rigging, is something I'm trying to learn. As well as Model/Texture edits, because I myself want certain things for characters like Peach and Roy and so on, that If I don't try to do them, they won't exist D;

But here's to hoping that the PMBR shells out some nice new clean cut characters for us to spend hours upon hours labbing to break, and here's also to hoping it's sometime within the next few months!
[I can dream cant i]

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I found this laying around in my files that I made back during the moveset making hype that I never finished, so here ya go guys.

Sami Moveset:
This is exactly what I expected from and wanted from her. The helicopter has to make the GBA quality chopper noises though. I also hope she's a bit of a brute when she fights, something like a cross between a Metal Slug character and Makoto from Street Fighter 3.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
This is exactly what I expected from and wanted from her. The helicopter has to make the GBA quality chopper noises though. I also hope she's a bit of a brute when she fights, something like a cross between a Metal Slug character and Makoto from Street Fighter 3.

i'd still prefer to see her using the military equipment herself. though the transport copter is probably one of the better ways to make an upB for her. otherwise the design there just seems too much like Duckhunt.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Oh hey, its this thread's 551st page anniversary! YAAAAAAAAAY!!! BRING IN THE MERRIACHI!!

Also, reminder that Bagan Ridley PSA is messiah.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
So I basically know nothing.

Are any new characters in development? Have they decided on anyone?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Yes. We can't tell who because, well, we respect PMBR and won't just further spread leaked information. There is at least 2 nearly finished characters, 1 still less than half finished and possibly 1 that has some work on him done, but enough to cement a spot.

And there is too many completly off-topic posts here lately. Well, voting is closed and everything, but that doesn't means that should happen.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Yes. We can't tell who because, well, we respect PMBR and won't just further spread leaked information. There is at least 2 nearly finished characters, 1 still less than half finished and possibly 1 that has some work on him done, but enough to cement a spot.

And there is too many completly off-topic posts here lately. Well, voting is closed and everything, but that doesn't means that should happen.
Like the talk about unlocking new characters.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So I'm going to assume that for human characters like Sami or Isaac, that they're going to need an entirely new VA to do voicework for them?

Because to see them with their own VA would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
I found this laying around in my files that I made back during the moveset making hype that I never finished, so here ya go guys.

Sami Moveset:
Good job on the moveset.

Sami 100% needs to use the iconic advance wars units in her moveset. The units are the best representatives of the games and the most recognisable. Plus, Sami is not a recognisable character by any stretch of the imagination, so this would help to counteract that.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Wait, seriously?! That's amazing! It seems like I've missed alot since I've been absent from the thread, for real.

Here's hoping one of those is Lyn, I've recently been replaying FE7 and am really keen on the idea at this point.

...And Ridley, because jesus ****ing christ.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wait, seriously?! That's amazing! It seems like I've missed alot since I've been absent from the thread, for real.

Here's hoping one of those is Lyn, I've recently been replaying FE7 and am really keen on the idea at this point.

...And Ridley, because jesus ****ing christ.
I really doubt they will miss opportunity to put Ridley in after the whole thing with SSB4 happened. He is 2nd in this poll and was one of the most requested characters for SSB4 and since he got disconfirmed and all of those peoples are more than disappointed, it is logical to add him.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879

Yes and yes, but we're going to respect the dev team and not say anything about it. It's going to be good to look forward to though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes and yes, but we're going to respect the dev team and not say anything about it. It's going to be good to look forward to though.
We can still say that *no name* and *no name* are nearly done, *no name* is barely started, *no name* is cancelled, etc. Just without saying names. That would bring hype while still keeping who and how secret. Still not a good thing that something got leaked. Guy who did that was a real a******.
EDIT: whoops, didn't noticed first part of the post...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So I'm going to assume that for human characters like Sami or Isaac, that they're going to need an entirely new VA to do voicework for them?

Sami doesn't have a voice in the Advance Wars game I have played, but I am not sure about Isaac. I would mind if she was voiceless in PM.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast

VA work is kind of up in the air. it seems that one of the characters leaked has had voicework leached from another source that fits the character. i would not be surprised to see, say... Sami, if she was chosen, with a voice of a character from something like valkyria chronicles ( both AW and VC, despite both being steeped in war and having a few war is hell moments, take the whole thing very not seriously).

someone like isaac's a bit easier because of the whole silent protagonist thing.

Good job on the moveset.

Sami 100% needs to use the iconic advance wars units in her moveset. The units are the best representatives of the games and the most recognisable. Plus, Sami is not a recognisable character by any stretch of the imagination, so this would help to counteract that.
i would like to point out that in the events involving google docs earlier in the year that lead to specific model being leaked she was probably the best received piece of news.

AW isn't Golden Sun. not to the detriment of it mind you, but enough people know who Sami is.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Good job on the moveset.

I would say Sami and the other two main COs (well, not sure about Max) in Advance Wars are more recognizable than Isaac, if anything. Not to crap on Golden Sun and its characters, but people vastly overestimated how good and popular this series is. Plus, Isaac's design definitely falls in the generic side, specially if compared to Sami. Support in the Smash community doesn't mean much at all.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
I would say Sami and the other two main COs (well, not sure about Max) in Advance Wars are more recognizable than Isaac, if anything. Not to crap on Golden Sun and its characters, but people vastly overestimated how good and popular this series is. Plus, Isaac's design definitely falls in the generic side, specially if compared to Sami. Support in the Smash community doesn't mean much at all.
The difference is, when most people think Golden Sun they think Isaac. When most people think Advance Wars, they think the red military units and/or Andy. I've played a few of the Wars games but don't remember Sami at all.

That's not to say she isn't a great addition. The Project M team just need to make sure her moveset clearly shouts 'advance wars' and the best way to do that is to include the iconic units wherever possible.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
To add to Hagrid's post, at one point, I was thinking that it'd be pretty awesome if the units acted as remote control/automatic toy soldiers with preset actions. To quote an old "specials only" move set brainstorm I did in the thread:

Q7 (or someone else) was talking about Sami move set potential and really, I keep thinking that the Toy Soldier angle would make for one of the coolest designs you could give her:

Neutral B - Disposable Infantry - Sami releases a unit(units) with a toss upward (think Snake's grenade) that marches forwards with their bayonets out. This toss can be angled similar to Snake's grenade toss.

Forward B - Rocket Launcher/Bazooka - Fires a faster and longer distance rocket the longer B is held (or whether or not the stick is smashed). Can be angled but angled rockets travel a set distance before becoming subject to gravity and falling downward. Explosions have multiple lingering hitboxes for a short period of time.

Downward B - Cover Fire - Generates a soldier in the ground that Sami stands on. Sami stomps one of her infantry sprites into the ground where they then lie in wait. Anything that moves along the same plain or meets their eye level is immediately fired upon as the soldier pokes their head out and fires their gun forward. (Think of Perfect Dark's Laptop Gun, the Colonel Force chip in Megaman Battle Network 6 [another example from the same game], turrets, etc.) If Sami presses this again over the unit she's placed in the ground (noted by their helmets on the field), she'll kick them a certain distance away so as to cover new ground. (Essentially, hockey puck turrets)

Upward B - Helicopter Unit - Generates a Advance Wars GBA helicopter sprite that aids her offensively or for recoveries. When B is pressed, Sami hitches a ride by either comically holding on to the helicopter's handles despite the size difference (the helicopter isn't much bigger than her upper body) or hangs off of a rope ladder released out of the contraption. When B is held, Sami calls a helicopter that hovers for a few seconds while pointing downward at a 60 degree angle. If an opponent wonders into its line of fire, the helicopter unloads a hail of fire from the air for a few seconds before vanishing. Pressing Up B again forces it to disappear. Holding the B calls it to hover over the new position Sami issued the call from. While this Helicopter is out, Sami is unable to use the unit for recovery. The unit also disappears/is destroyed by opponent's offense.
I feel like this is the perfect mix of recognizable elements from the Advance Wars games themselves, interesting mid-combat humor and technicality, and a space control play style that could really make Sami stand out more so than making her another straight CQC type. If anything, that stuff should make up more of her normals. (She should definitely get a rocket jump snuck into her move set somehow though. lol)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So...is there something about Sami aside from her popularity that should make me assume she's *very* likely?

In the same vein as a couple other characters, I mean.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
So...is there something about Sami aside from her popularity that should make me assume she's *very* likely?

In the same vein as a couple other characters, I mean.
Female diversity (my guess). A primary protagonist from a popular series that's also female seems to warrant a better chance of being in.
Look at Lucina vs Chrom in smash4. We could've finally gotten an Ike clone, but noope.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Female diversity (my guess). A primary protagonist from a popular series that's also female seems to warrant a better chance of being in.
Look at Lucina vs Chrom in smash4. We could've finally gotten an Ike clone, but noope.
Fair enough; I'm certainly not opposed for any of those reasons (Or any at all). Having her and Lyn would be extremely welcome. Hell, it'd probably generate interest in the Advance Wars series too. I personally have never played any of the games even though I'm a huge Fire Emblem nerd, so maybe her inclusion'd get me into it!

Plus, more strong female characters in Smash is always a plus. Brawl (and by extension PM 3.5) had what, 3?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Fair enough; I'm certainly not opposed for any of those reasons (Or any at all). Having her and Lyn would be extremely welcome. Hell, it'd probably generate interest in the Advance Wars series too. I personally have never played any of the games even though I'm a huge Fire Emblem nerd, so maybe her inclusion'd get me into it!

Plus, more strong female characters in Smash is always a plus. Brawl (and by extension PM 3.5) had what, 3?
Five, if we're counting Jigglypuff (who has Leaf's hat as one of her alts) and Ivysaur (who is considered female by the PMBR). There's also ZSS, but we all know she's just Samus without the Power Suit.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Five, if we're counting Jigglypuff (who has Leaf's hat as one of her alts) and Ivysaur (who is considered female by the PMBR). There's also ZSS, but we all know she's just Samus without the Power Suit.
I still wonder til this day why Ivysaur is considered female by the PMBR. Considering there is no possible way to determine the gender but only on a select few Pokemon, most noticeable difference is Pikachu and their tails.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still wonder til this day why Ivysaur is considered female by the PMBR. Considering there is no possible way to determine the gender but only on a select few Pokemon, most noticeable difference is Pikachu and their tails.
I thought it had to do with Ivysaur's Japanese VA being female or somesuch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom