• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Why so many Lip requests?
Alts confirmed?
Some of us over at the Lip for SSB4 thread are migrating over here to advocate for her inclusion in Project M, since at this point - unfortunately - it's unlikely she'll ever be playable in the official Smash games.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Some of us over at the Lip for SSB4 thread are migrating over here to advocate for her inclusion in Project M, since at this point - unfortunately - it's unlikely she'll ever be playable in the official Smash games.
Hmmm... I wonder if any more SSB4 character supporters are going to be coming here when they're deconfirmed...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmmm... I wonder if any more SSB4 character supporters are going to be coming here when they're deconfirmed...
If he gets an official deconfirmation, expect an absolute flood of fans of a certain purple space dragon.

Myself included, frankly.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
+1 for Pichu, but don't change him at all.
I don't understand why people want Pichu to remain as a joke character. Project M was made to be a balanced fighter (in terms of characters) and sought to bring back assets that made characters good as well as modify and tweak them so they had their own sense of flair and competed with the current roster. Putting in melee Pichu is basically saying to throw a puppy in a den of lions...it's literal cruelty and doesn't even make the slightest sense. Please humor me, I can understand people wanting Pichu in this game but having Pichu without adjustments is ludicrous

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
+1 for Pichu, but don't change him at all.
I don't understand why people want Pichu to remain as a joke character. Project M was made to be a balanced fighter (in terms of characters) and sought to bring back assets that made characters good as well as modify and tweak them so they had their own sense of flair and competed with the current roster. Putting in melee Pichu is basically saying to throw a puppy in a den of lions...it's literal cruelty and doesn't even make the slightest sense. Please humor me, I can understand people wanting Pichu in this game but having Pichu without adjustments is ludicrous

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I meant to comment on this the other day, but totally forgot. I really like all of these ideas, specifically the aerials.

I did find it odd though that you made a point of demeaning Ness's yo-yo skills in comparison to Ninten's, especially considering they weren't actually an item in Mother 1. :3

All in all though awesome propositions.
Really? I was under the impression it had Yo-yos. If he doesn't have a yo-yo, that changes everything.

Shin F.

Smash Master
If he gets an official deconfirmation, expect an absolute flood of fans of a certain purple space dragon.

Myself included, frankly.
Think he'll manage to catch up to Isaac if that happens? I'd normally say IMPOSSIBRU at this point, but this is Ridley...
Really? I was under the impression it had Yo-yos. If he doesn't have a yo-yo, that changes everything.
He can still have them for his moveset, just as Ness and Lucas have things they normally don't (IE, PK Fire and such.)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Think he'll manage to catch up to Isaac if that happens? I'd normally say IMPOSSIBRU at this point, but this is Ridley...
Well, he's the closest right now, isn't it? I'm absolutely sure if the entire Ridley support thread (God I hope not, some of those people are super awful.) (and others) moved themselves over here, he probably would. Man, if the top 3 actually get in PM, das gon' be guuuuud...

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well, he's the closest right now, isn't it? I'm absolutely sure if the entire Ridley support thread (God I hope not, some of those people are super awful.) (and others) moved themselves over here, he probably would. Man, if the top 3 actually get in PM, das gon' be guuuuud...
Hmm, I'd bet Isaac would get an influx of supporters if not confirmed, too... and he's got nearly a 40-vote lead on Ridley right now. It'd be close.

Shin F.

Smash Master
@ CBO0tz CBO0tz

This, son.

The yo-yo absence in Mother 1 shouldn't affect inclusion. I just thought I was funny that Ninten's skills with one should outmatch Ness's.
Right. The idea behind Ninten is that he can represent the main character archetype of Mother, which Ness and Lucas currently don't do all that much. Each of them has exactly one of their own moves. As such, giving him weapons iconic to main Mother characters is fairly appropriate, even if he doesn't personally use them.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
@ CBO0tz CBO0tz

This, son.

The yo-yo absence in Mother 1 shouldn't affect inclusion. I just thought I was funny that Ninten's skills with one should outmatch Ness's.
I only wanted Ninten's skills to outmatch Ness because if Yoyos were in Mother, it would make sense if he knew more about yoyos due to being the first to use them.

It wouldn't be the same though if he doesn't use them in his own game though... I wouldn't mind if he used PSI attacks he doesn't normally use, but using an item that isnt actually in his game kinda puts me off.
I guess he should just use Lucas's Smash attacks, it wouldn't be as chronologically incorrect.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I only wanted Ninten's skills to outmatch Ness because if Yoyos were in Mother, it would make sense if he knew more about yoyos due to being the first to use them.

It wouldn't be the same though if he doesn't use them in his own game though... I wouldn't mind if he used PSI attacks he doesn't normally use, but using an item that isnt actually in his game kinda puts me off.
I guess he should just use Lucas's Smash attacks, it wouldn't be as chronologically incorrect.
Well, Ninten could always use bats, slingshots, and boomerangs if you wanted him to have a totally canon moveset, but (and I say this as one of the guys who supports Ninten the most), I would much rather him use a yoyo since it's more original. Smash has never cared for canon or chronology, anyways, and a yoyo fighter would be really awesome. Plenty of characters use weapons or abilities they didn't have in their own games (Sheik has her chain, needles, and in the next game her grenade, Ice Climbers got ice powers, Captain Falcon is a walking example of non-canon abilities and moves, etc.)

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well, Ninten could always use bats, slingshots, and boomerangs if you wanted him to have a totally canon moveset, but (and I say this as one of the guys who supports Ninten the most), I would much rather him use a yoyo since it's more original. Smash has never cared for canon or chronology, anyways, and a yoyo fighter would be really awesome.
Well, I suppose I wouldn't mind if he was still introduced to P:M with a yoyo. But only if they do give him cooler yoyo tricks. Ness doesn't really do much with his yo-yo in media, and there's soo much cool potential for Ninten doing tricks.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well, Ninten could always use bats, slingshots, and boomerangs if you wanted him to have a totally canon moveset, but (and I say this as one of the guys who supports Ninten the most), I would much rather him use a yoyo since it's more original. Smash has never cared for canon or chronology, anyways, and a yoyo fighter would be really awesome.
Well, I suppose I wouldn't mind if he was still introduced to P:M with a yoyo. But only if they do give him cooler yoyo tricks. Ness doesn't really do much with his yo-yo in media, and there's soo much cool potential for Ninten doing tricks.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright, without further adieu, our latest results! 300 individuals have now voted within the Clone Engine Character Speculation thread and we've got quite the spread here.

The format is of course as followed:
Name: Score (+1s, +1/2s, -1s, %)

Only characters with at least 10 votes (5 must be positive) are included.

S Tier
Isaac: 155 (151, 28, 10, 94.71%)
Ridley: 118 (124, 38,25, 86.63%)
Lyn: 88 (93, 34, 22, 85.23%)
Ganondorf / Black Shadow: 80 (104, 26, 37, 77.84%)
Dark Samus: 62.5 (62, 45, 22, 82.95%)
King K. Rool: 58 (54, 38, 15, 85.98%)
Skull Kid: 50.5 (40, 29, 4, 94.52%)

A Tier
Saki: 45.5 (41, 27, 9, 88.31%)
Bowser Jr.: 45 (48, 34, 20, 80.39%)
Sukapon: 41 (46, 36, 23, 78.10%)
Masked Man: 37 (30, 24, 5, 91.53%)
Sami: 32 (42, 14, 17, 76.39%)
Ray: 30.5 (21, 19, 0, 100.00%)

B Tier
Dixie: 27 (41, 38, 33, 70.54%)
Paper Mario: 26.5 (30, 37, 22, 75.28%)
Tom Nook: 25 (24, 22, 10, 82.14%)
Andy: 19 (18, 20, 9, 80.43%)
Samurai Goroh: 17 (14, 28, 11, 79.25%)

C Tier
Ninten: 14.5 (11, 11, 2, 91.67%)
Lip: 9 (4, 10, 0, 100.00%)
Toad: 9 (24, 22, 26, 63.89%)
Waluigi: 8.5 (34, 31, 41, 61.32%)
Hector: 8.5 (15, 21, 17, 67.92%)
Tetra: 5.5 (11, 15, 13, 66.67%)

D Tier
Ballon Fighter: 4 (1, 8, 1, 90.00%)
Slippy: 3 (5, 4, 4, 69.23%)
Red / Pokemon Trainer: 2 (8, 4, 8, 60.00%)
Young Link: 0.5 (4, 3, 5, 58.33%)
Plusle & Minun: -4 (6, 8, 14, 50.00%)

F Tier
Toon Zelda: -8.5 (7, 7, 19, 42.42%)
Krystal: -9 (14, 30, 38, 53.66%)
Gray Fox: -10 (3, 2, 14, 26.32%)
Pichu: -12 (42, 26, 67, 50.00%)

Sonic Tier
Tails: -25 (18, 22, 54, 42.55%)
Knuckles: -30 (17, 14, 54, 36.47%)
Shadow: -48.5 (17, 11, 71, 28.28%)

Notable mentions:

• Ninten, Balloon Fighter, Slippy, Young Link, and Gray Fox join the ranks.
  • Saki jumps to the top of A rank
  • Ray is still going strong with no negative votes, 100% approval rating
  • Lip is currently the same way as Ray, 100% approval rating
  • Skull Kid soars up into the S Tier with all the other higher ups.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Select Pikachu and hold R.

I have some downvotes to add:
Lyn - Too many Fire Emblem characters, Lyn is not very noteworthy among them. Too many sword users too.
Hector - ^
Dark Samus - We don't need a palette swap. I don't care how little effort it takes, if a character isn't noteworthy or interesting, don't even bother.
Bowser Jr - Too many Many Mario characters, and he's not that special.
Skull Kid - Zelda has enough representation, and even then I would choose Midna or Impa first. Skull Kid has only appeared in one game (you can say the same for Sheik but that was mother****ing Ocarina of Time, the pinnacle of all Zelda games, Majora's Mask isn't nearly as important)
Masked Man - Already a costume. Mother isn't important enough for two reps let alone three.
Ninten - Too much Mother, would work better as a Ness costume.
Toad - He's already with Peach, and his only talent is picking up turnips faster. Too much Mario
Paper Mario - This may be judgemental, but I don't want another flat character. Too much Mario. Of all the Mario RPGs, Paper Marios are some of the worst.
Samurai Goroh - None of the F-Zero characters are all that interesting, he's perfect as an assist trophy (I'm indifferent on Black Shadow/Ganondorf).
Tetra - Too much Zelda.
Toon Zelda - She was cut from Brawl for a reason.
Pokemon Trainer - Too much Pokemon (instead he should be summoned as the Pokemon's final Smash and throw a bunch of Pokeballs heheh)
Pulse & Minun - Too many Pokemon.
Krystal - The worst Star Fox character, from the worst game. Too much Star Fox. The only space animal I need is Slippy.
Tails - No third party characters. This also applies to:
Knuckles
Shadow
Deepthroat
Roy Campbell
Otocon
Anyone from Sonic or Metal Gear
That assist trophy from Sim City

Shin F.

Smash Master
Pichu gets special treatment by virtue of being in Melee. I even suggested he be a secret character like SoPo.
He can't really work like that. First, SoPo is just Popo without Nana, so he's not an individual character nor does he use up a slot or have his own moveset. Second, Pikachu's bones don't match up to Pichu's, so he would not work even as a costume for Pikachu. It's full character or bust for the little fella.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
you can say the same for Sheik but that was mother****ing Ocarina of Time, the pinnacle of all Zelda games, Majora's Mask isn't nearly as important
Ocarina of Time is overrated mediocrity, Majora's Mask is underrated gold.

In short, opinions do not a good argument make.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Skull Kid - Zelda has enough representation, and even then I would choose Midna or Impa first. Skull Kid has only appeared in one game (you can say the same for Sheik but that was mother****ing Ocarina of Time, the pinnacle of all Zelda games, Majora's Mask isn't nearly as important)
Oh, right. I also feel I should note that Skull Kid has been in three Zelda games. Midna is the one who's only been in a single game, here.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
When Ridley is added, they need to add an easter egg in which, when selecting "Giant Brawl" in Special Brawls, every character is so huge that the game is completely unplayable, ala the Puff Up Glitch in vBrawl.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
He can't really work like that. First, SoPo is just Popo without Nana, so he's not an individual character nor does he use up a slot or have his own moveset. Second, Pikachu's bones don't match up to Pichu's, so he would not work even as a costume for Pikachu. It's full character or bust for the little fella.
Yeah I was thinking more like full fledged clone engine character, but hidden behind Pikachu. This game needs a Dan.

He'd have Pikachu's final smash, but will take damage the entire time.

edit:
Oh, right. I also feel I should note that Skull Kid has been in three Zelda games. Midna is the one who's only been in a single game, here.
This... this is news to me.

edit edit: Nice try but we're talking about Skull Kid the character, not the generic skull kid NPCs.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah I was thinking more like full fledged clone engine character, but hidden behind Pikachu. This game needs a Dan.

He'd have Pikachu's final smash, but will take damage the entire time.
Sounds pretty uh....not good. I'd prefer they make Pichu actually useful if they add him. Joke characters are the complete opposite of hype.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Downvote Pichu. The entire joke of its character is that it's Pikachu, except worse in just about every conceivable way. It's the second lowest-tier character in the game besides Kirby, in fact. To re-balance it would defeat the point of having it on the roster in the first place.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
edit edit: Nice try but we're talking about Skull Kid the character, not the generic skull kid NPCs.
The same Skull Kid appears in all three games.

It's strongly hinted that the Skull Kid in TP is the one who once wore Majora's Mask, and you teach MM Skull Kid Saria's Song in OoT.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Its days like these where I wish PMBR just deconfirms Pichu. The only reason he's getting support is because he's the only Melee character that isn't represented. Other than that there is nothing remotely constructive about the character's inclusion other than the gimmick of supercharging his moves at the cost of his percentage (can't remember who gave this opinion but kudos to them) but even then it demerits Pikachu as a character which I don't think is an acceptable route for this mod as it literally spits on the faces of Pikachu mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom