• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I could actually see Krystal as a radically different character. The staff could be a disjointed hitbox, but she could use the fireball for SFA as a projectile and the rocket thing it could do in that game as a recovery. Maybe the flame that's emitted at the bottom of the staff could be a meteor.

Hey, question. If Pokémon Trainer did become a character in his own right, would it have to be limited to Red? Or could you instead use the protagonist from GSC, RSE, DP, B&W, XY, as well as the Colosseum games? Would be neat if you could have a PokéBall throw with the Snag effect.
I think it'd be cool to see various trainers from across the series, especially Brendan as a nod to the (HOYL CRAP STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT) OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire games coming out soon. But what moves would Pokemon Trainer have on his own? They might have to be realyl dependent on items from the series.​

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be cool to see various trainers from across the series, especially Brendan as a nod to the (HOYL CRAP STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT) OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire games coming out soon. But what moves would Pokemon Trainer have on his own? They might have to be realyl dependent on items from the series.​
Maybe his moveset would be moreso based on the HM moves of the Pokemon series, moves that could be used out of battle? Might also be an interesting way to include more Pokémon in PM, even if they are just silhouettes (Fly for instance always uses the same Pokémon model, as does Surf).

So, a moveset primarily centered around Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Flash, Whirlpool, Waterfall, Rock Smash, Dive, Defog, and Rock Climb ... but you could also include general Pokémon moves as well that can be used out of battle like Headbutt, Teleport, Dig, Milk Drink, Secret Power, Soft-Boiled, and Sweet Scent.

Not to mention there is always items to fill in the gaps if needed, I could see a move where Pokémon Trainer sprays a Repel to knock opponent back, for instance, and I think it's general consensus that his Neutral Special would be throwing a PokéBall at the opponent to capture them, similar to Yoshi's Egg Lay, but as a projectile, maybe even make it chargable between PokéBall -> Great Ball -> Ultra Ball in how long it can keep an opponent trapped. Could even make for some neat combos if, for instance, once an opponent is "captured" their PokéBall can be picked up and thrown like an item! You could use a PokéBall'd opponent to attack another enemy, or even throw them off the edge!

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I think it'd be cool to see various trainers from across the series, especially Brendan as a nod to the (HOYL CRAP STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT) OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire games coming out soon.​
Well, this may be the most significant thing that's happened for me in this thread. I had no idea that Gen 3 remakes were announced! Now I am excited.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well, this may be the most significant thing that's happened for me in this thread. I had no idea that Gen 3 remakes were announced! Now I am excited.
Everytime I look at the box art or think about it my heart rate increases.

I still think Krystal does have potential, but at the same time if there are new characters I'd like to see someone from a lesser known game series. Quote, anyone?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I came up with a rather outlandish idea for Ninten today. I was thinking about the use of Offense Up and the ways it could be represented. I think it would be pretty stellar is Ninten's down special, which is interchangeable and just the first command that came to mind, was Offense Up, and worked in a similar fashion to that of Lucas's neutral special. Except, rather than increasing the damage of his Smash attacks, and losing effect when one is missed, Offense Up would increase knockback. So to elaborate, the move is activated, and only cancels when an aerial or tilt is missed. After Offense Up's use, each Aerial/Tilt builds up power. Once a move is missed, cancelling the power growth, a player once again uses Offense Up, giving them a small amount of time in which knockback is increased. The amount of increase is dependent on the amount of Aerials and/or Tilts hit without missing. This would mean extensive combos are extremely beneficial, because if you land one the power of Offense Up increases making for a quick finish.

I apologize if that confuses you guys. Basically the move doesn't immediately increase damage but rather keeps track of your hits and then gains power based on that number.

Thoughts?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64

I still think Krystal does have potential, but at the same time if there are new characters I'd like to see someone from a lesser known game series. Quote, anyone?
I came up with a rather outlandish idea for Ninten today. I was thinking about the use of Offense Up and the ways it could be represented. I think it would be pretty stellar is Ninten's down special, which is interchangeable and just the first command that came to mind, was Offense Up, and worked in a similar fashion to that of Lucas's neutral special. Except, rather than increasing the damage of his Smash attacks, and losing effect when one is missed, Offense Up would increase knockback. So to elaborate, the move is activated, and only cancels when an aerial or tilt is missed. After Offense Up's use, each Aerial/Tilt builds up power. Once a move is missed, cancelling the power growth, a player once again uses Offense Up, giving them a small amount of time in which knockback is increased. The amount of increase is dependent on the amount of Aerials and/or Tilts hit without missing. This would mean extensive combos are extremely beneficial, because if you land one the power of Offense Up increases making for a quick finish.

I apologize if that confuses you guys. Basically the move doesn't immediately increase damage but rather keeps track of your hits and then gains power based on that number.

Thoughts?
BUT would it cancel on missed Smashes?? Or would it just not matter? I'm guessing the latter but you never know. But wouldn't the stacking knockback make it hard to combo people after a certain percent?

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

Thoughts?
There'd have to be some sort of time limit between hits or else that could get crazy broke

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Some more general ideas about Pokémon Trainer:

N Special: PokéBall, Trainer throws a PokéBall to capture an enemy, can be charged to throw stronger capture ball, starting with PokéBall (every 10th PokéBall will be a Premier Ball, color change only) then a Great Ball and finally an Ultra Ball. It captures the enemy, similar to Yoshi's Egg Lay, while captures, PokéBall can be picked up and thrown, and used like a Pokémon-less PokéBall. Button mashing can allow enemy to break the PokéBall faster.

U Special: HM Fly, by raising his arm into the air, a PokéBall Flash summons the generic bird Pokémon that carries Trainer into the air strongly, works similar to Snake's U Special. If U Special is pressed again, Trainer commands his bird Pokémon to use Aerial Ace nearby, punishing opponents coming in for an attack, although doing so causes Trainer to be dropped by his Pokémon. Does not leave Pokémon Trainer helpless after use, but he cannot use U Special or air dodge.

S Special: HM Cut, Very quick and powerful attack, short range but swipes in front of opponent with a quick slash, silhouette looks like a blacked out Scyther. Sweet spot on very edge of the slash, doing extra damage. Can be used to safely cut away projectiles, but does not reflect them.

D Special: HM Whirlpool, Trainer summons the overworld sprite of a Surfing Pokémon underneath of him, which then spins, causing a vortex of water with a strong vacuum effect, drawing enemies in, although can be punished from above. Can be held for longer use. When used in the air, it causes Trainer to slow his decent, allowing him to better control his fall speed.

Dash Attack: HM Surf, Pokémon Trainer slides on top of his Surf sprite Pokémon quickly. Weak attack, but leaves behind a trail of water, that has tripping properties, can be useful for punishing dodgers, as they can slip on the puddles of water left behind.

Special: HM Rock Climb, when Pokémon Trainer is trapped underneath or next to the stage and it not close enough to grab the ledge, when he pressed A he can latch onto the side and quickly crawls up the wall a short distance. The area in which Trainer moves is short, but can allow for recovery. If Pokémon Trainer fails to hit a ledge or recover before the distance has expired, he is in helpless state.

F Throw: Throw Rock, Trainer knocks enemy forward and lobs a rock at them, causing them to fall to the ground as a trip, however there is a 1/10 chance that Trainer will Throw Bait instead, meaning he throws a Riceball item.

B Throw: Repel, Trainer tosses opponent behind himself and pulls out a Repel, spraying it in their face and repeling them away.

(Or maybe Repel can be Trainer's N Air?)

D Throw: TM Dig, Slams opponent to the floor with a PokéBall release animation, before the ground explodes and knocks opponent into the air, possible silhouette of Dugtrio. Best move for possible KO.

U Throw: TM Teleport, Trainer spins with opponent help before it teleports opponent into the air, leaving Trainer on the ground.

Final Smash: Bill's PC, Pokémon Trainer becomes invulnerable as he summons several of his stored Pokémon out of PC, he quickly starts lobbing PokéBalls out, player can control only if they are thrown forward, back, or upwards using the directional pad. Randomly uses 6 PokéBall items consecutively.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

BUT would it cancel on missed Smashes?? Or would it just not matter? I'm guessing the latter but you never know. But wouldn't the stacking knockback make it hard to combo people after a certain percent?
That's why you have to use the move again to make use of your built up knockback.

There'd have to be some sort of time limit between hits or else that could get crazy broke
I'm aware, I'm just imagining Turbo Mode. :troll:

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
So, I see some people also having Ashley from Wario Ware on their wishlist, but I am curious, what can Ashley do as a fighter in her own right? What kind of moves would she have, what would be her playstyle? Would all of her moves need to be created from scratch, or does she have a large enough repertoire from the Wario Ware games to be incorporated as a full fighter?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
So, I see some people also having Ashley from Wario Ware on their wishlist, but I am curious, what can Ashley do as a fighter in her own right? What kind of moves would she have, what would be her playstyle? Would all of her moves need to be created from scratch, or does she have a large enough repertoire from the Wario Ware games to be incorporated as a full fighter?
Those questions usually don't matter in Smash Bros. What can X do as a fighter on their own right? What could Fox, Captain Falcon, ROB, Mr. G&W, Peach, Marth, Roy, etc. do? Answer: Succumb to Sakurai's creativity and imagination.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Those questions usually don't matter in Smash Bros. What can X do as a fighter on their own right? What could Fox, Captain Falcon, ROB, Mr. G&W, Peach, Marth, Roy, etc. do? Answer: Succumb to Sakurai's creativity and imagination.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
But it's up to the PMBR really, and us, if they bother to read our thoughts and/or opinions haha. Unless you mean be flexible like Sakurai is, then I totally get you. With a WarioWare character though, you can take inspiration from a lot of the games.

According to the MarioWiki, Ashley's games from WarioWare Touched are:
Because I feel like porcrastinating, I guess I'll make a tentative half of a moveset in a spoiler. Albeit half-assed, but so you can get an idea of how the games could be incorporated into her moveset

Jab: Hit someone with the penguin from Birdsicle (disjointed). Imagine her thrusting it like a rapier
Jab 2: Slice up with the penguin.
Jab 3: Swing the penguin around in a fast manner, hitting both in front and behind of Ashley.

Foward Tilt: Slap someone with a piece of clothing from Cheap Thrill.
UpTilt: Throws up bucket from Basket Case. While doing so, a ball also comes up which is disjointed. (Think Peach's Utilt)
Down Tilt: Think Toon Link's Down Tilt, but with an iron from Oh, The Irony. So not at ranged, but maybe a sweetspot with a fire effect

Fair: Smack someone with that staff she always carries. Sweetspot on the tip of the staff. (Ala Zelda)
UAir; Throw up the jar from Fill 'Er Up which will shoot out a bunch of colorful little balls for your enjoyment
Bair Smack someone with two chickens in quick succession from Farm Fresh
DTilt Whips out a giant nose from Sneeze, Please! to give her a slight boost upward as it sneezes. But only one burst upwards. Then it would just stall after the first use in air.

FSmash:
UpSmash:
DownSmash:

Grab
Dash Grab
Pummel

FThrow
BThrow
UThrow
DThrow

Neutral B: Use Red to function as something similar to a Luma. It would walk around like Bonsly and stab people! But it's weak, so it'd get hit away after a couple of jabs or a Smash attack
UpB Use her broom to launch herself upwards
Side B: Use the Plane from Paper Plane as a quick linear projectile that loses both speed and altitude as it keeps going. The longer you charge the longer it goes. Think about the size of Peach's turnip. Could be useful for edgegaurding. However, in the Air, Ashely would get in a magically larger paper airplane and this would function as a glide. the glide attack would be her hitting the plane with her fist to make it spurt slightly forward and hopefully hit the enemy.
Down B: Chargeable projectile where she sticks her pointer finger up in the air to gather rings from I'm Number 1!! Then Press B once to launch rings in an explosion-like manner (weak, but launch all around her a short distance), or press B repeatedly to launch rings one by one in random horinzontal angles

I'd make a full one, but I'm actually about to go play PM right now haha!

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I like the Offense Up idea Psykid but it would have to be limited as arcticfox said.

To whomever was talking about krystal's playstyle, i kinda imagined her as a basic combination of marth, fox and zss. Her playstyle would emphasize spacing and adapting/dominating in the neutral which reflects marth and fox respectively. Her movements would be quick like zss and her combos would be similar to zss' in that she plays better when she executes short combos well and resets as opposed to trying to pull off long strings/0-deaths.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
To whomever was talking about krystal's playstyle, i kinda imagined her as a basic combination of marth, fox and zss
O_O

That's a really cool idea, actually.

Still, I don't personally like Krystal much. But that idea sounds like it could also fit Lyn perfectly.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I still think that Lyn really has a strong chance and I honestly wonder when Project: M will play its new cards.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Hey, how's this for an idea? I know some people have been wanting Toad as a viable character, but as for what his gimmick could be ... how about he be a representative of the Mario Kart games? His attacks and abilities can be based on Mario Kart and it's items? In fact, instead of Toad being a character by himself, maybe he should be in his Kart as a fighter? That could be his shtick? Also, that means his costume alts could be different vehicles based on the Mario Kart series, and Toadette could be his special costume (she's still Toad afterall).

He could use Fake Item Boxes as explosive traps, he could of course have Shells, maybe even a random system of Green (rolls forward and off the edge), Red (stops at the edge and changes direction), and spiny (huge damage), maybe even Boo power for a invisibility/evasion move, where Toad becomes intangible for a few seconds.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
So I was taking out the trash yesterday and I had an epiphany: Blaziken over CF.

It fits perfectly.

PMBR pls.

Do it now.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This is the clone engine thread,
I was talking about a standalone character.
So what do you intend to do with Captain falcon then?

Ganondorf and C-falcon already made a good balance between those clone characters. I don't think a third one will have as much appeal.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
@ E EdgeTheLucas It could go either way for me. I'd be happy with Lyn or Krystal or both.:)

For me i thought Lyn would be more of a Zss/metaknight/shiek hybrid. Zss and shiek for base movement and body structure. Metaknight for quick hard to punish somewhat ranged strikes. In the neutral she would perform like shiek minus the needles so she's mostly trying to close whatever gap there is without getting hit. Her recovery would be somewhat like shiek's and falcos in that jumps are vital but her specials while versatile wouldn't give her that much raw distance. I see her kill moves being flashy and similar to metaknights dimensional cape or his glide attack or ike's one hit KO but they'd be super punishable compared to her safer combo-oriented moves.

Compared to my imagining of krystal she'd have slightly more mobility overall but krystal would have more range on her as well as a stronger recovery. Lyn would have a safer less commitment based moveset but krystal would have more raw damage output with each strike. Lyn could perform long combo chains or 0-deaths quicker and with much more ease than krystal but she would need to be precise on the final blow otherwise she'd be extremely punishable. Krystal would just deliver decent enough strikes until the opponent can't recover.

Just my $0.02 on what those two would be like.

@ Darkmask Darkmask That's certainly unique but I'd rather stick to what's been brought up. That idea is a bit :083:

3/10 Would play if executed under perfect conditions

I honestly wonder when Project: M will play its new cards.
Well they changed the main sites banner so maybe something will happen soon.

Last edited:

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
So what do you intend to do with Captain falcon then?

Ganondorf and C-falcon already made a good balance between those clone characters. I don't think a third one will have as much appeal.
Yeah, that makes sense.:urg: I guess I just like Blaziken.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
@ E EdgeTheLucas @ Darkmask Darkmask That's certainly unique but I'd rather stick to what's been brought up. That idea is a bit :083:

3/10 Would play if executed under perfect conditions
The kart thing was just an idea, I don't know how they could even implement throws with Toad riding in a kart, would probably look very silly, but it was an idea.

However basing Toad's moveset on the Mario Kart franchise I still think has merit, it means he represents a specific series.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
The kart thing was just an idea, I don't know how they could even implement throws with Toad riding in a kart, would probably look very silly, but it was an idea.

However basing Toad's moveset on the Mario Kart franchise I still think has merit, it means he represents a specific series.
Maybe he could have a kart side special, similar to the Wario bike?

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I like TRJV's idea better. Still don't fully support toad but i'm sure i could be convinced if someone came up with a decent enough moveset.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
And I imagine at least one of his throws being like his Turnip Pull in MB2, like a Donkey Kong up-grab, little Toad just hefting en enemy above his head and being able to walk around him them!

Also, I see if Toad has a Shell and Fake Item Box attack, if he continued to hold down the A button, the items instead of being placed/thrown would just stick behind him, like what a lot of players do in Mario Kart, trailing an item behind them and using it to smash into enemies.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I made a moveset for Toad already, guys. It's linked in his section of the OP.

He's a Mario clone though.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I made a moveset for Toad already, guys. It's linked in his section of the OP.

He's a Mario clone though.
A little too clone-y for my taste, if Toad did make it in, I'd hope he'd have a moveset moreso based off an offshoot Mario game, like Mario Kart or Mario Party.

Mario Party down special: Toad jumps and hits a dice block in the air, it's result causes different effects to occur, sort of like a G&W Hammer effect!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well besides, if he was an original character I wouldn't want him representing the Mario spin-offs since he already has a sizeable presence in the main games. He'd represent Super Mario Bros. 2 (along with Peach), the Generic New Super Mario Bros. power-ups, and Super Mario 3D World. I imagine him as a grappler type of character, like the concept @bksbestbwoy came up with. He's super strong in SMB2, and he falls fast there as well.

So yeah I'd rather have a fast-falling, grappler sort of Toad that reps those three games. Seems exciting to me if that happened.

As for someone to represent the Mario spin-offs, you're better off with Waluigi or *rolls eyes* Daisy.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
If you really want him more representative of his main game appearances . . .

Maybe his Up Special can be a dual use move, when used alone, it quickly, and I mean very quickly, yanks up a Peach Turnip and immediately tosses it up into the air. If the move is used close enough to en enemy, it grabs them instead and tosses them into the air. If used in the air and not near an enemy, it slows down Toad's falling as he does the useless pull animation and gives him a tiny jump for recovery.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well besides, if he was an original character I wouldn't want him representing the Mario spin-offs since he already has a sizeable presence in the main games. He'd represent Super Mario Bros. 2 (along with Peach), the Generic New Super Mario Bros. power-ups, and Super Mario 3D World. I imagine him as a grappler type of character, like the concept @bksbestbwoy came up with. He's super strong in SMB2, and he falls fast there as well.

So yeah I'd rather have a fast-falling, grappler sort of Toad that reps those three games. Seems exciting to me if that happened.

As for someone to represent the Mario spin-offs, you're better off with Waluigi or *rolls eyes* Daisy.
Fast falling...

DO I SMELL A POTENTIAL DJC CHARACTER?!? (:D)

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Well regardless, I like my idea of a Mario Kart-based move where the user has an item that if they hold down special, the item just trails behind them, ready to launch, I think it could be used for some awesome combos.

Also, someone having a three shell barrier could also be pretty cool!

Granted, it might be kinda weird for Waluigi or Toad to summon Koopa Shells ... unless their entire moveset was based on Kart or Mario spinoffs, I suppose.

Although I'm not really a fan or a hater of Waluigi, I think his sound clips would be hilarious and alone would make him at least welcome to the P:M team. I probably wouldn't play him, but would still laugh when I saw him used.

Waluigi Final Smash idea: "I hate this game!" Waluigi says his trademark line, and then causes the game to "crash", which makes the screen freeze and the audio to sound wonky, when the game restarts, every enemy takes random damage with random knockback!

Shin F.

Smash Master

Thoughts?
I'd prefer he use Quick Up to separate him from just having one of Lucas' reworked moves.

As for taunts, he could use his inhaler for one (a must) and for another he can use his ocarina to play a short version of the Eight Melodies.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'd prefer he use Quick Up to separate him from just having one of Lucas' reworked moves.

As for taunts, he could use his inhaler for one (a must) and for another he can use his ocarina to play a short version of the Eight Melodies.
Quick Up has a lot of potential as a move. I suppose that would be a better option.

I also thought that since 4th-D Slip is a hard move to interpret in Smash, a Final Smash where he summons (which isn't a perfect verb in this situation) Ana and together they perform PK Beam, which is something talked about by Itoi and referenced in EB Zero's TV spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom