• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Vote (+1)

Isaac - I love Golden Sun, and I believe that Isaac, with a mix of psynergy and sword play, could be a very unique character for the PMBR to include. That being said, to do Isaac correctly would require a lot of work, especially if psynergy was as integral to his moveset as I believe it would/should be.

King K. Rool - While he hasn't gotten any time in the spotlight for a while, the king of the Kremlings deserves a slot in the game, despite the fact that he wouldn't be easily cloned. As an added bonus, this would give the DK series more representation.

Dixie Kong - Because the DK series should have as much representation as possible. In addition to the reasoning listed in the original post, a cloned Diddy with elements of Donkey (and unique elements utilizing the ponytails and such) would make for an interesting character.

Ridley - Because he's Ridley and Metroid needs more representation.

Dark Samus - I like the idea of a fast Samus, and I see no reason to not have two slots go to Metroid. Dark Samus wouldn't even have to be that much of a clone of Samus, given the amount of source material in the Prime series to work off of.

Half-Vote (+1/2)

Lyn - Lyn is cool, but we probably have enough Fire Emblem representation as well as sword characters, though I'm sure she could be made unique enough that if she got a slot I would be happy.

Gray Fox - I'm not sure how willing the PMBR would be to include more third party characters (and I agree that they should receive less consideration than Nintendo characters), but if they were to include anybody, this is the guy.

Down-Vote (-1)

Plusle and/or Minun - On top of having enough Pokemon in the game as it is, Plusle and Minun seem, in my mind, among the worst choices for a slot that I could think of. We already have one electric mouse Pokemon, and while it would be interesting to see a pair like the Ice Climbers, there are literally hundreds of Pokemon I would rather see included before those two.

Toad - Just... no. On top of the simple fact that there are plenty of other Mario characters that are better choices, Mario has enough representation.

Tetra/Toon Zelda - While this could be interesting, Zelda has enough Smash representation in my opinion. Also, and this may simply be my own narrow viewpoint or lack of imagination, I have trouble picturing a tiny Zelda and a tiny Sheik cloned Tetra or whatever people are suggesting.

Black Shadow/Ganondorf Swap - While I doubt the PMBR would ever actually go through with this, I still feel the need to defend Ganondorf. I'm going to go a little more in depth with this one so, please, bear with me.

Ganondorf is a character that is tricky to represent in Smash Bros. He has three games to take inspiration from (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess). In each of these games, Ganondorf adopts wildly different fighting styles.

In Ocarina of Time, he almost exclusively uses magic in the form of projectiles (as seen in the bridge scene before Link goes forward in time and, of course, the penultimate boss battle), magic force (before the boss battle against Ganondorf, he shoots a wave of purple magic at Link and Navi), in the form of magically infused physical attacks (Ganondorf begins the battle in his throne room by punching the ground with enough force to rock the foundation of the castle), and in his ability to transform into beast form. In addition, Ganondorf can fly, or at least hover, at will.

From Ocarina of Time, it can easily be seen that Ganondorf does use magically infused physical attacks, ranging from pure darkness to electricity. Both are elements that he uses in Ocarina of Time. As for flying/hovering, it could be argued that his recovery embodies that particular aspect of the character, though it is clearly not an exact match given his abilities displayed in the boss battle in OoT.

In Wind Waker, Ganondorf adopts a different style of fighting altogether. Seemingly forgoing magic in this particular attempt to take over the world, Ganondorf is content to simply punch everything in his path with as much force as possible (this is especially evident before the final battle, where he unleashes a rather terrifying flurry of blows at Link, and during the final battle when he backhands Zelda). In addition, he wields two swords in the final battle. The only uses of magic still evident are his ability to create monsters such as Puppet Ganon and possibly his dash towards Link before the final boss battle (which may or may not be an extension of his ability to fly/hover).

From Wind Waker, the only thing that truly carries over is, again, Ganondorf's terrifying physical power. His entire moveset as it stands now represents this very well, as all of his moves possess bewildering amounts of knockback and convey a very impressive sense of power. What is missing in his Smash incarnation, however, is a sword. The two swords Ganondorf wields in the final battle are used for a variety of moves that seem sloppy. It can be plainly seen that he lacks any true form of swordsmanship and mostly just swings the swords in Link's general direction, though he does block fairly well. In my mind, this shows that Ganondorf is not truly a swordsman or, at the very least, he is a very poor one (afterall, he was overpowered by a child with a short sword).

Lastly, in Twilight Princess, Ganondorf adopts a style of combat more similar to his Wind Waker incarnation, though he does still utilize magic to an extent. His physical power may be seen in this game in the execution scene, where he manages to break free from his shackles and annihilate a sage with a single punch, all with a sword in his chest. He uses that same sword during the final boss battle in another attempt to defeat Link. Ganondorf utilizes magic in the form of possession and transformation. His ability to possess other individuals is seemingly derived from his time in the realm of Twilight, as he temporarily enters that same square, bitty form used by the Twilight creatures throughout the game. While possessing Zelda, he utilizes magic very much in the same way as Ocarina of Time, though it is unclear if he is using Zelda's magic prowess or his own. Ganondorf again has the ability to transform into a beast in this game as well.

From Twilight Princess, Ganondorf doesn't really gain anything he doesn't already have from Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker, as both games lend themselves to his overpowering physical style. From his use of magic, possession and transformation are essentially unusable for Smash (outside of a Final Smash at least). Ganondorf, in using a sword, runs into the same troubles as his Wind Waker incarnation during the last boss battle. He is again seen to have no real form, with his most dangerous attacks really being his mixups with his free hand. Ganondorf is also shown to be physically overpowered by Link when their swords clash. It should be clear at this point that Ganondorf should be nowhere near a sword.

So where does this leave Super Smash Bros. Ganondorf? Every game shows him using a very physical fighting style, which the game conveys very well. Every move in his arsenal is a hard hitting physical attack or grab that could very easily be used by any of his in-game incarnations. In addition, Ocarina of Time shows him infuse magic into physical attacks, which is also supported by his moveset. Moves such as Flame Choke and Wizard's Foot are moves that seem possible for any of his incarnations that would utilize magic in this way.

As far as magic use aside from physical attacks goes, Smash Ganondorf is definitely less representative of himself. It should be noted, however, that Ganondorf has become less magic focused in every subsequent portrayal of the character, with Smash Ganondorf utilizing more magic in combat than his Wind Waker or Twilight Princess forms.

Lastly, on the subject of implementing a sword into his Smash moveset, Ganondorf has shown himself to be awkward, sloppy, and overall just plain incompetent with a blade the few times he has used a sword in the Legend of Zelda series. If anything, I would say that the Legend of Zelda series does a poor job of displaying the raw power and terror of Ganondorf in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, as whenever he picks up a sword he immediately becomes less of a threat. Adding a sword into his Smash moveset now just seems odd given that he rarely uses swords, and when he does it goes abysmally.

Despite all of this, I would support decloning Ganondorf a little more in the form of a new animation or two, or replacing an attack here or there. Moves such as his neutral air and up smash in particular seem the least likely for Ganondorf to perform, for example, and could be reasonably removed in my opinion. In addition, the "True" series of PSAs gives Ganondorf a glide animation for dashing that would support his abilities in the Legend of Zelda series as well. These changes are not too drastic, and could easily be done in a manner that does not change the style in which Ganondorf plays, while also making the character a little more representative of his in-game self, though in my mind he is already more representative than a large number of characters in the cast. Also, a projectile would be nice, but issues with giving characters projectiles may not let that idea come to fruition.

Replacing Ganondorf for Black Shadow would be a mistake. Not only because Ganondorf is already fairly representative of himself, but also because, with just a few minor tweaks, he could be perfect. In addition, F-Zero has enough representation as it is, especially considering the fact that it is just a racing game with no actions performed outside of driving vehicles. Other characters could be represented instead, and they would be much more deserving of a slot than a second F-Zero racer.

In conclusion, Ganondorf is a character that is already fairly representative of himself as a character. While he lacks the projectiles he uses in Ocarina of Time, he incorporates magic in other ways as well, which can be seen in OoT and in Smash. His character has used less and less magic over time, though a common thread of physical power remains, which is, again, represented by his moveset. Ganondorf does indeed use a sword in two games, but his abilities with it are questionable at best, and often just lead to a pathetic showing of his incompetence. Also, Ganondorf becomes less of a clone with every update, even in 3.0 some of his aerial attacks are receiving new animations that further separate him from Captain Falcon. In addition, I find Black Shadow to be a poor choice, as other characters that actually go outside of a vehicle could be represented. Lastly, alienating the fans of a character is just a bad idea.

To those of you who actually read this, thank you.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I know what you guys mean, but I still disagree. It just seems like an unneeded change. As you both said, he could easily be changed with some skins from the Brawl Vault, but why can't you just change him to Black Shadow then? Like it or not, Ganondorf is the person who embodies his move set. Would you be mad if they changed Toon Link to be Young Link just because Ocarina of Time didn't have enough representation in Brawl/ Project M? I think tht the whole argument of "representation" is so stupid. It's "Nintendo All Stars", is Black Shadow truly a Nintendo All Star? Or do you just want him to be added so that Ganondorf can get a new move set? The only reason you want Black Shadow is for Ganondorf, which I don't believe to be a valid reason.

And besides, what's wrong with just giving two Ganondorfs? I don't see the problem, but if you really do consider that a problem, then the Ganondorf with Sword could just be Toon Ganondorf.

Oh my god, all of this...
I really REALLY hope Ganon <> Black Shadow swap isn't considered a high priority... There's so much more exciting things that could be done before that. Pretty sure the swap will only be appreciated by a select few here anyway, and nobody else will give a damn. In fact, people outside these boards might hate having their favorite character stripped from his moveset.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think Ganon should only ever use his Trident, not a sword.
Considering he stole the Sword from the Gods in TP, and only really used it to insult them, and in Wind waker he really had no kind of form, it's fitting that he fights with a mix of bare fists, though I;'d love to see more magic and possibly his trident incorporated into his moveset.

Anyways, almost done with my saki moveset ideas, and it's looking like it could be super cool if actually possible (note, I've daveled in PSA myself, so I kinda know the extents for the most part.)

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think Ganon should only ever use his Trident, not a sword.
Considering he stole the Sword from the Gods in TP, and only really used it to insult them, and in Wind waker he really had no kind of form, it's fitting that he fights with a mix of bare fists, though I;'d love to see more magic and possibly his trident incorporated into his moveset.

Anyways, almost done with my saki moveset ideas, and it's looking like it could be super cool if actually possible (note, I've daveled in PSA myself, so I kinda know the extents for the most part.)

The trident would be more representative than a sword, though the trident seems to be a strictly pig Ganon thing for whatever reason. Incorporating a weapon into just a move or two of the set would just be jarring, and would feel kind of shoehorned in and unprofessional.

That being said, just about anything would be better than his current neutral-B, and it could just be seen as a nod to pig Ganon.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
The trident would be more representative than a sword, though the trident seems to be a strictly pig Ganon thing for whatever reason. Incorporating a weapon into just a move or two of the set would just be jarring, and would feel kind of shoehorned in and unprofessional.

That being said, just about anything would be better than his current neutral-B, and it could just be seen as a nod to pig Ganon.
I feel like an energy ball would be the best idea for a neutral B, though if they wanted to keep it closer range, Ganon spinning his trident in a circle like during the fight in Link to the Past would be pretty hype. Think like how Dante spins his scythe in Playstation all stars for a good reference on how it would look.

I'd also be okay with his up B being replaced with his teleport from Link to the past, complete with Sound effect, and giving him the ability to hover like in Ocarina of Time, sacrificing his second jump similar to how Mewtwo rolls.

I'm honestly picturing in my head a mix of Ganondorf currently, Mewtwo, and Ike for his moveset if he were to get refined to make him decloned a bit more.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Oh my god, all of this...
I really REALLY hope Ganon <> Black Shadow swap isn't considered a high priority... There's so much more exciting things that could be done before that. Pretty sure the swap will only be appreciated by a select few here anyway, and nobody else will give a damn. In fact, people outside these boards might hate having their favorite character stripped from his moveset.
I duno.. I think it should be the next priority now that Mewtwo is done..

In conclusion, Ganondorf is a character that is already fairly representative of himself as a character. While he lacks the projectiles he uses in Ocarina of Time, he incorporates magic in other ways as well, which can be seen in OoT and in Smash. His character has used less and less magic over time, though a common thread of physical power remains, which is, again, represented by his moveset. Ganondorf does indeed use a sword in two games, but his abilities with it are questionable at best, and often just lead to a pathetic showing of his incompetence. Also, Ganondorf becomes less of a clone with every update, even in 3.0 some of his aerial attacks are receiving new animations that further separate him from Captain Falcon. In addition, I find Black Shadow to be a poor choice, as other characters that actually go outside of a vehicle could be represented. Lastly, alienating the fans of a character is just a bad idea.

To those of you who actually read this, thank you.

I read your whole post! I just didn't wana quote your whole post, so I just quoted your conclusion. I understand the points you're making, but I'm going to have to disagree. He isn't that tricky to imagine. Just use some creativity and imagination and its easy to see how he can work.

I've posted this a number of times, but I'm gona post again. Hopefully you take a read and see what you think:

I personally would like Ganondorf to heavily take his move set from OOT (magic attacks) and then partially from TP (sword attacks), and then perhaps take little bits and pieces from games like LTTP. I think OOT is the most important because 1. he has a great move set in OOT that would work in smash bros, and 2. because OOT ganondorf was the version that was originally introduced in smash bros melee, so that's the move set he should have had to begin with!! So here we go:

The flame choke: Love the move, and its great for Ganondorf. This can be kept, or can be removed, I wouldn't mind so much. But this is how I look at it.. Like I said, I'd want ganondorfs clone moves to be completely transferred to another character like Black Shadow (with the exception of the sparta kick). Now this transfer could include the Flame Choke in which case Ganondorf would lose that ability and be given a different move (just cause we don't need 2 characters with the same exact move). Or the other option would be the new clone (lets just say its Black Shadow) would be given a cloned move of falcons side B (basically like Melee's version). So instead of the flame choke, Black Shadow would just have that dash uppercut move, and Ganondorf would keep the flame choke!

Magic (OOT): I think his magic projectile is the first and foremost MUST HAVE attack that needs to get in there.

Here's my magic attack vision in full:

First of all (this part is straight forward), the move would be chargeable (obviously). But to give it a different feel, it would be nice if it worked more like Dedede's down b hammer charge move. So while Ganondorf charges his projectile, he can also move around. Now, when the move is charged and shot, the more charged up it is, the more powerful it becomes, and also the faster it moves. If you don't charge it long, it would be very slow, while near the end of the charge it would move as fast as samus' projectile (something like that). Also, this projectile wouldn't work as a kill move like Samus' or Lucarios projectiles, they would work as a paralyzing tool (similar to ZZS paralyzer). The more it's charged, the longer it paralyzes and the more damage it does.

Now, the animation to the charge would be similar to OOT (above his head) and when it's shot, if hes on the ground it would move at a slight angle toward the ground (with no wiggle), but if in air, he would shoot it at a much deeper angle toward the ground (still with no wiggle).

Here is where it gets much more complex. I'm thinking that if you charge the move to its full potential, it becomes the scatter shot from OOT. In this case Ganondorf would shoot out 5 magic balls which DO wiggle, and move at a medium-high speed. They would be scattered of course, and they would be covering a lot of area, so to make this not OP'ed, it could be made so that each of these 5 magic balls is a lot weaker than when he shoots one (kind of like the power is split into 5 separate balls rather than all in one). This makes the move difficult to dodge, but it would be a great distraction move/if it makes contact it can cause some damage.

Finally, when not charged fully as a scatter shot, I think the magic attack should be reflectable by all attacks (not only reflectors). That is, a normal A attack would reflect the move. The trajectory and strength of the attack used to reflect the ball would affect the speed at which it is knocked back as well as the direction the ball moves in and how much more powerful it becomes. Each time the ball is hit 3 things would happen. 1. the speed of the ball is increased, 2. the damage andparalyzing time increase and 3. the lifetime of the attack would be replenished (at least partially) so that it doesn't just disappear after one reflect. This would make for some cool tennis battles with the magic blast!

Other magic attacks (OOT) - Then there are some moves that I think would be nice but perhaps not as high on the list.. for example, when you get to ganons piano room in OOT, he uses dark magic to kind of push link away and suppress his power (or whatever lol). So I was thinking maybe some kinda of flinch-less force push would fit nicely. This could be done as a chargeable B attack or even a quick A attack. I do a some brawl hacking, and I've done a simple mod where his A Jab has a force push attached to it which works quite well.

Hand to hand (OOT): Next I think his ground pound shockwave move from OOT should get in there. This one I think is fairly self explanatory.

The Sparta kick!

Another "maybe" could be a cape reflect move like mario for his side B (if the flame choke were to be removed).

The Sword / Trident: Now, as for the sword moves there are a couple of ways they could work.. one option could be to make down B (or some other command) pull out his sword/put it away, thus giving him a separate full set of sword moves. This would be kind of like Zelda transforming into Shiek in the sense that there would be a complete new move set for him to use.
This second option however, I believe would work better (I know many people may disagree with this). But I think his A attacks should be heavily based on sword attacks. I don't think Ganondorf needs specials that are sword attacks as much (maybe one B move max). His sword moves in games like TP and WW are very limited and generic; so giving him a fill set of sword specials would kinda be forcing it. What kind of really good and original sword attacks could you give him, other than perhaps being able to shoot a projectile out of his sword.. which isn't even a sword attack lol..
That's my take on it anyway.
The way I see this working visually is the sword could be left in its sheath at all times, except when he actually uses it (he would pull it out for his sword attacks. Or conversely it could work the way links sword works where he always holds it and puts it away when doing specific moves that don't need the sword/it gets in the way. My favorite idea is this.. hopefully it makes sense. So the sword would start in the sheath like I said above, but when he uses it he pulls it out. Now at this point, the sword would stay in his hand whenever it doesn't affect another move/animation, but then when he needs to put it away, he does, and it stays in the sheath again untill it is needed for another move. I don't know if this makes sense. Gimi some feedback on this idea

Magic (LTTP + other): Finally the LTTP stuff.. He could use electricity for some moves. Perhaps he can shoot electricity for a B special, or during a throw animation (also something I've done in my hack in a more primitive way).
His current punches and kicks in brawl do use electricity, and stuff like that would be great to have as well, as long as the moves in question aren't clone moves.

Flying: his run animation I think should be a floating animation similar to Mewtwos run in melee.
More importantly though, he should also be able to float using his jump like Peach/Mewtwo (in P:M for those who have seen the mewtwo reveal). But he should also have his own twist to this ability.

Other: He probably should also have a teleport move like in LTTP and/or TP (probably as his up B).

So what do you guys think? Do these ideas sound like they would work well, or do you guys have totally different opinions? What do you agree with and disagree with?

Celestis

Smash Ace
I know what you guys mean, but I still disagree. It just seems like an unneeded change. As you both said, he could easily be changed with some skins from the Brawl Vault, but why can't you just change him to Black Shadow then? Like it or not, Ganondorf is the person who embodies his move set. Would you be mad if they changed Toon Link to be Young Link just because Ocarina of Time didn't have enough representation in Brawl/ Project M? I think tht the whole argument of "representation" is so stupid. It's "Nintendo All Stars", is Black Shadow truly a Nintendo All Star? Or do you just want him to be added so that Ganondorf can get a new move set? The only reason you want Black Shadow is for Ganondorf, which I don't believe to be a valid reason.

And besides, what's wrong with just giving two Ganondorfs? I don't see the problem, but if you really do consider that a problem, then the Ganondorf with Sword could just be Toon Ganondorf.
I feel having two of any one character would not settle well with players. Yeah Yong Link and Link are almost the same, but they are still separated by age. So they still hold each others own ID. Having two Ganons just feel reckless and starts to add the feeling of this being a professional quality mod to just, "Lets just start adding stuff, weeeee." (I also get this feeling adding exclusives period, but not as much.) Then, if they were to make the second Ganon, Toon Ganon to pull the Toon link effect. That then restricts the new Ganon to Windwaker style moves, and I know players want to see everything about Ganon if time is going to be taken to make a new move set. You say you like the who aspect of using Ganon for his badassery. Well I am pretty sure the PMBR would do Ganon justest in that are. As you can see, they are pretty talented x]
I knew this was going to be a touchy subject the moment I saw it up there. I am pretty sure its to sensitive for PMBR to threw with it. But I think the idea is great.

It would be like replacing Falco with the Masked Man because Falco is a clone with a move set that doesn't reflect is character, as he isn't in an Arwing.
Also I do not think this is a good example. Fox and Falco are from the same game, witch is the base behind using Black Shadow as a re-skin in the first place, same game.
Ganon and the Captain have no relation what so ever, so why do they share a move set? I never understood this.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I feel like an energy ball would be the best idea for a neutral B, though if they wanted to keep it closer range, Ganon spinning his trident in a circle like during the fight in Link to the Past would be pretty hype. Think like how Dante spins his scythe in Playstation all stars for a good reference on how it would look.

I'd also be okay with his up B being replaced with his teleport from Link to the past, complete with Sound effect, and giving him the ability to hover like in Ocarina of Time, sacrificing his second jump similar to how Mewtwo rolls.

I'm honestly picturing in my head a mix of Ganondorf currently, Mewtwo, and Ike for his moveset if he were to get refined to make him decloned a bit more.

My understanding is that a projectile would be impossible, though I agree it would be best. His purple wave of doom from just before his boss battle in OoT would be pretty great as well. Spinning the trident sounds like a cool option, but I still have my reservations about just adding a weapon for one move in the whole repertoire.

Teleport might be a little much though, I could see some minor float being added to a move in the air or something like that. I'm thinking more along the lines of Blade Dance or the Mario Cape effect. Also, I feel the Wizard's Foot-Jump cycle and his up-B embody his ability to fly well enough.

Anyway, we should probably stick to talking about new characters or at least the Black Shadow-Ganon debate in this thread.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
My understanding is that a projectile would be impossible, though I agree it would be best. His purple wave of doom from just before his boss battle in OoT would be pretty great as well. Spinning the trident sounds like a cool option, but I still have my reservations about just adding a weapon for one move in the whole repertoire.

I believe if they wanted to work on a projectile, they could. But what they would have to do is start with someone like lucario as a base so that they can play with his aura sphere and make a new-ish projectile that way. However if they do that they'll basically have to start from scratch and completely re-model ganondorf using Lucario... Does that make sense?

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Okay, let's do this.

PLUS:

Dark Samus - I've always wanted another Metroid representative, but I'm weird and wanted Kanden or Spire. Dark Samus would shave off a ton of time for the PMBR because most of the clone qualities can be ripped from regular Samus. Dark Samus would be a quicker, more brutal version of Samus that behaves within the Ryu/Ken Paradigm in which Ryu (Samus) has stronger projectiles and Ken (Dark Samus) would have stronger close combat techniques. I know about Ridley and how many people want him, but if any dragon-esque monster obtains a fireball before Bowser, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Ganondorf - Ganondorf should have had a completely new moveset in Brawl. Sakurai tried to "declone" him but didn't do a very good job. Project M takes it a bit further, but doesn't quite make him a unique character. To be honest, Ganondorf just needs a couple of his moves changed to further make him canon, such as an Ocarina of Time ground punch and a couple of sword moves. Black Shadow shouldn't be involved in anything regarding Ganondorf's moveset.

Young Link - I'm not talking about a cloned Link, not even close. This would be a Link with different items usable and different swordplay. Young Link would be a mix of Ocarina of Time's Young Link and Majora's Mask Young Link. His usable items would be Deku Sticks, Slingshot, Deku Nuts; things that Young Link from both games are familiar with using but Adult Link doesn't. His swordplay would be focused more on hit and run, very similar to how bosses are slain in both of his games (Using items to immobilize and then attacking). This would be different from Link and Toon Link, but still end up playing similar to Young Link from Melee.

HALF:

Pichu - I originally thought that Pichu could be changed enough to warrant his own character slot. After reflecting on it, it'd be better for Pichu to have his benefits from Melee to be imported into Pikachu, seeing as Pikachu is a character who needs more equalizing buffs.

Isaac - I know nothing of Golden Sun, but Marth and Roy in Melee made me want to play Fire Emblem. Maybe it would also work with Golden Sun.

NEGATIVE:

I actually don't want any negative votes. It makes people feel bad and I don't like giving them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
... yeah, I still don't like the idea. Don't know wether it's because Zelda has enough representatives as it is that the care, attention, and working hours + effort it takes to declone Ganon could go into adding in other more deserving characters (Black Shadow is not one of them), or the fact that people suddenly happen to like Black Shadow so much, and brushing off Goroh for god knows what reasons, despite him being more important to the F-Zero franchise in almost every conceivable aspect. It's quite clear by the ways he's been portrayed that if Sakurai had to decide the next logical F-Zero rep in SSB, it would hands down be Goroh.

So now it's Ganon <> Black Shadow.. Who knows, maybe tomorrow's going to be WW Link <> Tom Nook with shovel or something... but at least Tom Nook represents AC better than Black Shadow does F-Zero.

... dang... I never thought I'd bump into a topic that would annoy me this much. -_- Need to go cool off a bit.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
So what do you guys think? Do these ideas sound like they would work well, or do you guys have totally different opinions? What do you agree with and disagree with?
I wouldn't be opposed to some of these ideas being incorporated into current Ganondorf, I love the idea of a projectile if it is indeed possible, but I'm not sure if it is short of making Ganon a clone character of someone with a projectile. Alternatively, as I stated above, his purple force thingy before the battle in OoT would be good as well.

I still stand by my statement that Ganondorf should be nowhere near a sword, adding it in even as an alternate stance or mode of sorts would be pretty strange in my mind. Ganondorf, especially in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, only ever does something impressive in battle with his fists. He is just an incompetent swordsman.

As stated in my giant post, I like the idea of a gliding animation for dash, simply because that's cool and fits the character. Incorporating flying, teleporting, or hovering into Ganondorf's moveset would be terrifying though, and I'm not sure it could be added without fundamentally changing the character which, again, I oppose.

Shoving a clone in the game in order to make a new moveset for a character that is already represented would just be sloppy, unprofessional, and wouldn't do Black Shadow or Ganondorf any true justice, especially when just a few tweaks could make Ganondorf perfect.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
saying ganon has no skills at using a sword is like saying link doesn't because depending on the player he could just be standing there slashing right in front of himself like a tard well the enemies would just watch him, that's just how the ai is in that game, and your point in a mere child beating him with a short sword makes no sense to me depending on if you played ww you could get some serious training in that game with orca, who later if you do that considers link to be a master swordsman at the end of the last session with him.

and in that fight in tp ganon was jumping around like a mad man using some pretty impressive moves of his own, and using his fists in conjunction with his slashes means he would have to know the perfect timing for when a good time to do it would be and that little bit about link over powering him in the clash if you think about it, if he could stop a rampaging sheep mid run like that without barely being moved back has to mean that link himself is stronger in that game then he has in a lot of games (without the use of gloves and gaunlets) so it kind of makes sense he could win that.

all i'm trying to say is by no means is ganon a slouch when it comes to swordplay and if the pmbr was to change ganon's moveset not all the things would need changing as I've said in a previous post and that part where you bring up the true series psa of him with a gliding dash would be good examples of what they could do with him

now as for the part where you say that f-zero is just a racing game and only needs the one character slot I 100% disagree with you there F-zero is still a large part of nintendo maybe not zelda metroid mario or pokemon large but I would put it on terms with about starfox and firemblem who as of the next release will have 3 characters each so why not give a space to F-zero in the form of black shadow with falcondorf's moveset I think he belongs more then some baby pokemon or a thousand other clones

And I really don't get you saying ganon's magic is less and less common as more games come out i mean He possesses people with it (puppet zelda) he creates barriers with it(final battle and hyrule castle, he can summon creatures, and transform into a beast with it, just because he doesn't do the volley ball at the end of a game doesn't mean he no longer uses magic

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Alrighty I guess I'll talk about ideas for Saki

Saki (Sin and Punishment) Moveset ideas

First and for most, Saki would be a fast, mostly projectile based character, with strong close rangephysical moves involving the sword on his cannon sword. Saki would be slightly lighter then Marth, but heavier then someone like Fox. Mobility is key for Saki in Sin and Punishment, so I figured I'd use that as a main point of his moveset.

Specials

Neutral B- Charge Cannon.
An ability from Sin and punishment 2, Saki would be able to charge up his shot for a stronger attack and larger blast radius ,not quite as powerful as Samus' charge shot, but quite a bit faster.

Side B- Ruffian Dash
Saki's dash would be a bit like Lucario's is currently in PM, adding speed and allowing for canceling into other moves. Allows him to quickly cover space, and allow for pressure against slower opponents. Can also be used as an air and back dash. Only usable once in the air.

Down B- Mirror Slash
In SaP, Saki had the ability to reflect projectiles by slashing them with his sword, the same applies for this attack. While it can work as a good physical attack, it also works like Fox's reflector. Cannot however work as a counter to physical moves.

Up B- Jetpack
In SaP2, the two protagonists, Isa and Kachi both used some sort of object that allowed them to hover. By borrowing this idea, incorporating Isa's Jetpack into Saki's design to allow for a great recovery would make almost too much sense. Similar to Mewtwo's Levitation, you can go in any direction, and are able to cancel into other moves. Would last slightly longer than Mewtwo's however as it works as his recovery.

Attacks

AAA,- Shots, each doing a small bit of damage, would work like Megaman's A moves in Sm4sh, except would have a bit more range. Can move and shoot like Megaman, sacrificing side A moves on the ground.

Up Smash- A shot fired upwards, Power and speed depends on how long the charge

Down Smash- A sword sweep at Saki's feet, Think Link or Roy.

Side Smash- Saki takes his Cannon Sword, and slashes overhead until hitting the ground in front of him. Think Buster from Xenoblade, or Rough Divide from FF8.

Down tilt- A shot fired at the ground at an angle, similar to ZSS's down smash

Up tilt- An upwards slash with the Cannon sword, similar to Strider's launcher in UMvC3.

Side air- Flying side kick, basically Link's neutral air.

Down air- A dive kick, can be slightly angled like Meta knights down air.

Throws would be similar to Fox, with the enemy being thrown, with shots fired behind them.

And finally his alt would be his Ruffian form he takes halfway through the game.

So yeah, just some ideas, if he were to get in. I'd main the crap out of Saki, but hopefully even none fans can appreciate his moveset potentially of being a mix of zoning and close range.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

Oh man, yes! Make Toon Ganondorf and this solves the whole problem.

I totally agree with everything you said btw. =) I love Ganondorf, I'd be really sad if he was changed.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
saying ganon has no skills at using a sword is like saying link doesn't because depending on the player he could just be standing there slashing right in front of himself like a tard well the enemies would just watch him, that's just how the ai is in that game, and your point in a mere child beating him with a short sword makes no sense to me depending on if you played ww you could get some serious training in that game with orca, who later if you do that considers link to be a master swordsman at the end of the last session with him.

and in that fight in tp ganon was jumping around like a mad man using some pretty impressive moves of his own, and using his fists in conjunction with his slashes means he would have to know the perfect timing for when a good time to do it would be and that little bit about link over powering him in the clash if you think about it, if he could stop a rampaging sheep mid run like that without barely being moved back has to mean that link himself is stronger in that game then he has in a lot of games (without the use of gloves and gaunlets) so it kind of makes sense he could win that.

all i'm trying to say is by no means is ganon a slouch when it comes to swordplay and if the pmbr was to change ganon's moveset not all the things would need changing as I've said in a previous post and that part where you bring up the true series psa of him with a gliding dash would be good examples of what they could do with him

now as for the part where you say that f-zero is just a racing game and only needs the one character slot I 100% disagree with you there F-zero is still a large part of nintendo maybe not zelda metroid mario or pokemon large but I would put it on terms with about starfox and firemblem who as of the next release will have 3 characters each so why not give a space to F-zero in the form of black shadow with falcondorf's moveset I think he belongs more then some baby pokemon or a thousand other clones

And I really don't get you saying ganon's magic is less and less common as more games come out i mean He possesses people with it (puppet zelda) he creates barriers with it(final battle and hyrule castle, he can summon creatures, and transform into a beast with it, just because he doesn't do the volley ball at the end of a game doesn't mean he no longer uses magic
I stand by my point. If you take a look at either the Wind Waker or Twilight Princess battles, nothing he does is really impressive, especially when compared to the work he does with his fists. The TP battle especially is just pathetic. Link is a playable character, so anything he does that could be considered incompetent, as in your example, can largely be placed on the player, and shouldn't be considered as part of his character. Your point about the training in WW and Link's strength in TP is solid, but it still doesn't change the fact that Ganon couldn't utilize his physical dominance or longer reach even slightly, whereas the game portrays Ganon with his fists as much more deadly. Just looking at the execution scene of TP, where he murders a sage with a single punch, or the cutscene before the final battle in WW should show you how much more integral the fists are to his combat, and how much more competent he seems to be when not using swords.

I don't think I ever said he no longer uses magic, I simply stated that it became less prevalent with every game after Ocarina of Time. In OoT, Ganondorf did almost nothing but magic. It was a core part of his character and his combat style. In WW and TP, neither boss battle incorporates magic even slightly to the same degree, and in cutscenes he uses magic less as a weapon and more of as a tool to transform or possess.

The F-Zero bit of my post is entirely debatable, but it is my opinion that there are dozens of characters who deserve a slot before an F-Zero character, especially Black Shadow. I don't think it is debatable that the series is less relevant now than it has been for a while, but then again R.O.B. and other characters are more irrelevant and they made the cut, so that's clearly not the greatest factor in play when choosing characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Oh man, yes! Make Toon Ganondorf and this solves the whole problem.

I totally agree with everything you said btw. =) I love Ganondorf, I'd be really sad if he was changed.

I can meet you guys halfway there, and accept this. I'd be totally ok with adding TOON Ganondorf instead of doing the whole Ganon<>Black Shadow thing.

Then again, I blew off some steam.. and realised it's not such a big deal anyway. It baffles me why someone like Black Shadow could possibly be so popular, but apparently he is, so me struggling here is a real steep uphill battle.
(If I were to transfer the way I feel about the next F-Zero rep to a Metroid situation, it'd be sorta like seeing a lot of people wanting Mother Brain over Ridley)

But anyway, that's enough of that from me. PM:BR will have the final say, and if they think the Ganon<>BS swap is the way to go, then so be it. They've already come this far, might as well enjoy all the extras... if there are any of course. :p

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be opposed to some of these ideas being incorporated into current Ganondorf, I love the idea of a projectile if it is indeed possible, but I'm not sure if it is short of making Ganon a clone character of someone with a projectile. Alternatively, as I stated above, his purple force thingy before the battle in OoT would be good as well.

I still stand by my statement that Ganondorf should be nowhere near a sword, adding it in even as an alternate stance or mode of sorts would be pretty strange in my mind. Ganondorf, especially in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, only ever does something impressive in battle with his fists. He is just an incompetent swordsman.

As stated in my giant post, I like the idea of a gliding animation for dash, simply because that's cool and fits the character. Incorporating flying, teleporting, or hovering into Ganondorf's moveset would be terrifying though, and I'm not sure it could be added without fundamentally changing the character which, again, I oppose.

Shoving a clone in the game in order to make a new moveset for a character that is already represented would just be sloppy, unprofessional, and wouldn't do Black Shadow or Ganondorf any true justice, especially when just a few tweaks could make Ganondorf perfect.
Shoving? Sloppy? Unprofessional?
I'd use words more like.. accommodating, genius, and skillful.

Ganondorf was only a clone in the first place because of time constraints as mentioned before and also he was slightly de cloned in Brawl, so there has at least been some thought put into changing his move set by Sakurai. If P:M could do what Sakurai couldn't, that would be masterful, and would make them BETTER than friggin professional game developers. Sakurai should be embarrassed, and I hope hes watching P:M closely and taking it into consideration while making SSB4. I know they're not competing with Sakurai, but he should learn a thing or two from the PMBR. Anyway, I digress..

No disrespect to your stance, I get it. But I really think a lot of these changes would be pretty doable, and I hope if P:M doesn't do it, that Nintendo does in SSB4. Hopefully with the help of Namco, Sacurai can grow some ba**s and make some major changes.

I can meet you guys halfway there, and accept this. I'd be totally ok with adding TOON Ganondorf instead of doing the whole Ganon<>Black Shadow thing.

Then again, I blew off some steam.. and realised it's not such a big deal anyway. It baffles me why someone like Black Shadow could possibly be so popular, but apparently he is, so me struggling here is a real steep uphill battle.
(If I were to transfer the way I feel about the next F-Zero rep to a Metroid situation, it'd be sorta like seeing a lot of people wanting Mother Brain over Ridley)

But anyway, that's enough of that from me. PM:BR will have the final say, and if they think the Ganon<>BS swap is the way to go, then so be it. They've already come this far, might as well enjoy all the extras... if there are any of course. :p
The only reason Black Shadow is popular is because he makes the most sense to replace Ganondorfs move set as he has a similar body type and cape, and he is the main villain in f-zero.

I stand by my point. If you take a look at either the Wind Waker or Twilight Princess battles, nothing he does is really impressive, especially when compared to the work he does with his fists. The TP battle especially is just pathetic. Link is a playable character, so anything he does that could be considered incompetent, as in your example, can largely be placed on the player, and shouldn't be considered as part of his character. Your point about the training in WW and Link's strength in TP is solid, but it still doesn't change the fact that Ganon couldn't utilize his physical dominance or longer reach even slightly, whereas the game portrays Ganon with his fists as much more deadly. Just looking at the execution scene of TP, where he murders a sage with a single punch, or the cutscene before the final battle in WW should show you how much more integral the fists are to his combat, and how much more competent he seems to be when not using swords.
This is why I said that his sword moves should be A attacks. I don't think that the sword should be his main source of attacks. His B attacks should be mostly magic, and then his A attacks should be a mixture of magic, hand to hand and sword.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman

Black shadow is the main antagonist of f-zero gx and the anime (well technically Deathborn was the main antagonist in F-zero gx but still) and even though samurai goroh has made more appearances then him, he's had more importance in the story, and between the two he's the character Captain falcon considers is more of a threat (at most captain falcon probably just considers Goroh to be a joke) so I think it's amazing how people can be against him but be pro Samurai Goroh, to me that's like saying Girahim would be a better character then Ganon because Girahim would have a better moveset/or is more popular it comepletely baffles me

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Shoving? Sloppy? Unprofessional?
I'd use words more like.. accommodating, genius, and skillful.

Ganondorf was only a clone in the first place because of time constraints as mentioned before and also he was slightly de cloned in Brawl, so there has at least been some thought put into changing his move set by Sakurai. If P:M could do what Sakurai couldn't, that would be masterful, and would make them BETTER than friggin professional game developers. Sakurai should be embarrassed, and I hope hes watching P:M closely and taking it into consideration while making SSB4. I know they're not competing with Sakurai, but he should learn a thing or two from the PMBR. Anyway, I digress..

Reasons for Ganondorf being a clone of Falcon aside, P:M and Brawl worked to declone him, and while Brawl pretty much did everything in its power to ruin Ganon, P:M has made a great character that, at most, needs only minor changes to further differentiate the movesets. Scrapping all of that to shove Black Shadow in is just, in my opinion... Well, you probably get it by now.

Long story short and giant posts aside, all Ganondorf needs are minor changes. Wasting a slot on Black Shadow-Ganondorf swap is just a bad idea.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I'm a huge DK fan, so I'm always a little confused/sad when I see people saying "K. Rool should be the only DK rep - Dixie is a bad choice!" I'm like "fweh?!?!?"

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Reasons for Ganondorf being a clone of Falcon aside, P:M and Brawl worked to declone him, and while Brawl pretty much did everything in its power to ruin Ganon, P:M has made a great character that, at most, needs only minor changes to further differentiate the movesets. Scrapping all of that to shove Black Shadow in is just, in my opinion... Well, you probably get it by now.

Long story short and giant posts aside, all Ganondorf needs are minor changes. Wasting a slot on Black Shadow-Ganondorf swap is just a bad idea.

I know we're just gona be debating in circles, and I'll end our debate after this, but I just wanted to say..

I don't get why you think moving the move set to Black Shadow would be so devastating. The work that they have done WOULD NOT be put to waste at all because either the entire move set would be given to black shadow and he simply would be the new "Old Ganondorf", OR if some moves were kept with Ganondorf, those moves are STILL not wasted, and then perhaps Black shadow would be given some of Ganondorf's older moves (the old axe kick for example) and some new moves (like the uppercut instead of the flame choke and something else instead of the sparta kick). I mention these 3 moves because I imagine they would be the only ones that would be in question (who gets the stomp move instead of the axe kick? Who gets the flame choke? And who gets the Sparta kick?).

Anyway, I know your stance, but that's mine.
We can agree to disagree.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Black shadow is the main antagonist of f-zero gx and the anime (well technically Deathborn was the main antagonist in F-zero gx but still) and even though samurai goroh has made more appearances then him, he's had more importance in the story, and between the two he's the character Captain falcon considers is more of a threat (at most captain falcon probably just considers Goroh to be a joke) so I think it's amazing how people can be against him but be pro Samurai Goroh, to me that's like saying Girahim would be a better character then Ganon because Girahim would have a better moveset/or is more popular it comepletely baffles me

That's exactly why I put up the Metroid comparison. From MY point of view is like people would want Mother Brain over Ridley.

On a separate note, Villain does not auto-iconize a character. Especially one as generic as Black Shadow.

Black Shadow might be the villain, but in no way is he more iconic than Goroh. Even Sakurai aknowledges that through his actions when developing past SSBs. So he plays an important role in a subpar anime nobody watched except for that one final scene that became a meme, so what? Goroh has appeared much more and he's been there from the start.

And what does the level of threat matter to the outcome of choosing a character? Why wasn't ANDROSS chosen over Wolf? This explanation doesn't hold any water. If you want to stick with it, then why aren't more people suggesting Deathborn?

And don't get me started on importance in story... Otherwise Krystal would've popped up before Wolf.

Sorry, I just see failed arguments pro-Black Shadow. It's only fair for the guys who've been around the most, to pop up in Smash earlier. Especially when moveset wise, Goroh could provide much more for F-Zero as a whole, than Black Shadow just to fill in for Ganondorf.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
+1 Vote
Pichu
Claus
Toad

Dark Samus
Isaac

My reasons, I think these would be the easiest for the PMBR to work with and make.

Also I wont vote down anyone cause that is dumb and will only serve to start flame wars.

Also the "fair representation" argument is stupid. Period.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I know we're just gona be debating in circles, and I'll end our debate after this, but I just wanted to say..

I don't get why you think moving the move set to Black Shadow would be so devastating. The work that they have done WOULD NOT be put to waste at all because either the entire move set would be given to black shadow and he simply would be the new "Old Ganondorf", OR if some moves were kept with Ganondorf, those moves are STILL not wasted, and then perhaps Black shadow would be given some of Ganondorf's older moves (the old axe kick for example) and some new moves (like the uppercut instead of the flame choke and something else instead of the sparta kick). I mention these 3 moves because I imagine they would be the only ones that would be in question (who gets the stomp move instead of the axe kick? Who gets the flame choke? And who gets the Sparta kick?).

Anyway, I know your stance, but that's mine.
We can agree to disagree.

Ha, I've said just about everything I can as well, we're pretty much just debating in circles like you said.

One last thing I must say though is that splitting a character that someone loves in half, and placing half of it onto another character, or even just keeping the moveset in another character is absolutely devastating to fans of that character.

You can't just take a moveset from an established character and put it onto another and expect them to be okay with it. I don't play Black Shadow. I play Ganondorf. It's a package deal. Maybe the work in decloning Ganondorf isn't wasted exactly, but it would still be off-putting and despite my love of the moveset, I probably wouldn't play as Black Shadow.

Splitting up the moveset is an even worse idea, as it would just serve to create two characters with bits of what I love, neither of which truly being what attracted me to the character in the first place.

Just look at the uproar over characters like Falco that were changed in Brawl. Is it better to have a character not be a clone? Yes, but if a character is established as a clone or a semi-clone, and people enjoy that character, removing it will likely hurt those players. It just sucks to pour your heart and soul into a character, then have it ripped away.

At the heart of the matter, I'm scared. Project M would only be less enjoyable for me if Black Shadow replaced Ganondorf. I full-heartedly stand by all of my reasoning and logic as to why it is simply a bad idea, but at the end of the day I just love Ganondorf as he is.

Hopefully that is all I have left to say on this matter. Arguing on the internet is exhausting. Agree to disagree and whatnot.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
My Votes:

Vote (+1)

Ganon/Black Shadow
Sukapon
Ridley
Isaak
Ray (Custom robo) - I know hes not on the list but can I add him? If not my vote will be Dark Samus

- Im gona post some stuff about Ray cause I think he needs to be talked about more.

Half Vote (+1/5)

Waluigi
Paper Mario
Baby Bowser
Dark Samus - If Ray is counted as a vote above, Dark Samus goes here

Down Vote (-1)

Pichu
Dixie
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
All right, I'm seeing a lot of opposition to the Black Shadow<>unique Ganondorf swap, mostly because Black Shadow isn't all that important. Fair enough, but am I misinterpreting things or am I also seeing backlash toward Ganondorf being a unique fighter? Some have said to keep Ganon the way he is and, if we want a more unique version, then to just add a Toon Ganon. I'd probably be on board with this if one problem weren't present: namely, that it leaves Zelda and Shiek without Toon counterparts, making the roster feel incomplete, and adding more than one character from a series into the 5 remaining slots is kind of garish. Some might say that we should just forget about making Ganon unique, then. But I still can't be only part of a minority rather than a majority about this, right?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Ha, I've said just about everything I can as well, we're pretty much just debating in circles like you said.

One last thing I must say though is that splitting a character that someone loves in half, and placing half of it onto another character, or even just keeping the moveset in another character is absolutely devastating to fans of that character.

You can't just take a moveset from an established character and put it onto another and expect them to be okay with it. I don't play Black Shadow. I play Ganondorf. It's a package deal. Maybe the work in decloning Ganondorf isn't wasted exactly, but it would still be off-putting and despite my love of the moveset, I probably wouldn't play as Black Shadow.

Splitting up the moveset is an even worse idea, as it would just serve to create two characters with bits of what I love, neither of which truly being what attracted me to the character in the first place.

Just look at the uproar over characters like Falco that were changed in Brawl. Is it better to have a character not be a clone? Yes, but if a character is established as a clone or a semi-clone, and people enjoy that character, removing it will likely hurt those players. It just sucks to pour your heart and soul into a character, then have it ripped away.

At the heart of the matter, I'm scared. Project M would only be less enjoyable for me if Black Shadow replaced Ganondorf. I full-heartedly stand by all of my reasoning and logic as to why it is simply a bad idea, but at the end of the day I just love Ganondorf as he is.

Hopefully that is all I have left to say on this matter. Arguing on the internet is exhausting. Agree to disagree and whatnot.

lol k just so u know I'm not debating any more, just talking.

So first of all the part about splitting the character up, ya I don't see that as being Ideal. Its just something I was thinking about. Id prefer Black shadow be literally Ganondorfs new skin (with different SFX). Ganondorf doesn't need the flame choke or the ax kick if he is changed.. the only thing I'd want him to keep is the sparta kick, and if 2 ppl have that move, I don't see the problem :p
That being said even if he lost the Sparta kick, I wouldn't cry about it.

Now as for the part about uproars and such... People always get super upset about changes. No one likes changes. But every time something has happened that people didn't like in smash bros, people got upset at first, but then accepted it and enjoyed it as it was. So I 100% believe that IF this change was made, everyone - including you - would be upset and rage and flame for like a week max, and then you'd get used to it and realize that this was actually a better decision. Black Shadow should have been C. Falcons clone in the fist place, not Ganon. The memory of Ganon as a clone should be erased from existence because it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
My 5 (I'd be stoked on any of them, and actually enjoy the idea of each of them showing up in the game one day)
Lyn
So much fighting style, and potential...
Isaac
So much nostalgia hype, and potential...
Sami
There's a lot that can be done, with a good base (Snake + his unused kit pieces not in PM) to work from.
Ganon/Black Shadow
Triforce-Ganon-Mod style Ganon, with Black Shadow taking over Ganon-as-we-know fits so well.
Dixie
So much modern importance, and potential...

Also cool.
Sukapon/Saki (wtf, I don't even... would be great)
Because I like learning stuff that I don't know, and I like that there's diversity with each of them, even if it might be tough to do.
Ridley (I heard stories about him being cool)
Because unique, and given how popular he is, I'd love to see what everyone is dreaming about regarding him.
Dark Samus (epic cool stuff could be done 'based')
Because Metroid, and it would be pretty cool given the diversity, and potential, and base, for a fast Samus-style character.
KRool would be cool for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
lol k just so u know I'm not debating any more, just talking.

So first of all the part about splitting the character up, ya I don't see that as being Ideal. Its just something I was thinking about. Id prefer Black shadow be literally Ganondorfs new skin (with different SFX). Ganondorf doesn't need the flame choke or the ax kick if he is changed.. the only thing I'd want him to keep is the sparta kick, and if 2 ppl have that move, I don't see the problem :p
That being said even if he lost the Sparta kick, I wouldn't cry about it.

Now as for the part about uproars and such... People always get super upset about changes. No one likes changes. But every time something has happened that people didn't like in smash bros, people got upset at first, but then accepted it and enjoyed it as it was. So I 100% believe that IF this change was made, everyone - including you - would be upset and rage and flame for like a week max, and then you'd get used to it and realize that this was actually a better decision. Black Shadow should have been C. Falcons clone in the fist place, not Ganon. The memory of Ganon as a clone should be erased from existence because it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Isn't the whole point of Project M that people got upset at changes in Smash and didn't accept it or enjoy it as it was?

Also, I can assure you that I would be salty about this until the end of time, and that I will never let memories of Ganon be erased from existence...

Sort of debating here, not gonna lie, but mostly just talking.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
That's exactly why I put up the Metroid comparison. From MY point of view is like people would want Mother Brain over Ridley.

On a separate note, Villain does not auto-iconize a character. Especially one as generic as Black Shadow.

Black Shadow might be the villain, but in no way is he more iconic than Goroh. Even Sakurai aknowledges that through his actions when developing past SSBs. So he plays an important role in a subpar anime nobody watched except for that one final scene that became a meme, so what? Goroh has appeared much more and he's been there from the start.

And what does the level of threat matter to the outcome of choosing a character? Why wasn't ANDROSS chosen over Wolf? This explanation doesn't hold any water. If you want to stick with it, then why aren't more people suggesting Deathborn?

And don't get me started on importance in story... Otherwise Krystal would've popped up before Wolf.

Sorry, I just see failed arguments pro-Black Shadow. It's only fair for the guys who've been around the most, to pop up in Smash earlier. Especially when moveset wise, Goroh could provide much more for F-Zero as a whole, than Black Shadow just to fill in for Ganondorf.
what does it matter if a character appeared more often if that character is nothing but a joke to begin with, and just calling a anime subpar doesn't make my point that Black shadow isn't a good rep any different, and had you read a previous post I've made in the other topic I had originally stated i'd much rather Deathborn to get Ganon's moveset instead but I came to the second best choice I could think of

as for why andross wasn't chosen over wolf is probably do to Andross being massively big and don't even bother comparing Andross with ridley or olimar in terms of "oh hey they could just do what they did with olimar and re-size him" that wouldn't work the same way it would for ridley (come on just picture how silly it would be to see a character who is usually the size of a rather large ship, run around the size of bowser, actually I think that would be awesome come to think about it lol) that and it would have been pretty hard to come up with a good moveset that would make sense for some one with only a head and two hands

that part with Krystal, I was surprised she wasn't in brawl in the first place to replace Falco but whatever

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Ray MKII

Right off the bat.. How awesome does this guy look??

Some info:

There are eight different Ray models in the Custom Robo series. They include Ray, Ray MK II, Ray MK III, Ray Sky, Ray 01, Ray Warrior, Ray II Dark, and X-Ray. All are Shining Fighter models exept Ray Sky. Ray II Dark and Ray Warrior are illegal parts, illegal parts are parts that are powerful enough to actually hurt someone based on the games.

It is unarguably the best known robot in the series, and is fantastic for beginners of the series. In Custom Robo V2 there is a "dark" version of Ray MK II that exceeds in everything and acts as a villain that the main character's rival uses against your robots. The first robot in each of the games will always be a Ray model.

In the GameCube Custom Robo game, Ray 01 is a top secret robot that is found by a bunch of thieves. The playable character of the game is then asked to stop the thugs from infiltrating the base, and does so with the help of the robot.

Between this video and the attacks he uses as an assist trophy, he could have a very interesting move set, and would be a great alternative to Mega Man. Don't get me wrong! He's no Megaman!! But he'd be a cool tech based character!

Thoughts on him?

Edit: I'd love to see a post from Anti Guy about Ray.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Isn't the whole point of Project M that people got upset at changes in Smash and didn't accept it or enjoy it as it was?

Also, I can assure you that I would be salty about this until the end of time, and that I will never let memories of Ganon be erased from existence...

Sort of debating here, not gonna lie, but mostly just talking.

Hahah ya just talking! :p

And ya I know what P:M's main goal is, and its great. But I also know they said this game isn't supposed to BE melee, its supposed to be seen as a kind of squeal. That can be interpreted in a number of ways. I'm sure their initial plan wasn't to make any changes to Ganondorf, and I'm not sure if theyre even thinking of doing it now. But it would make me very happy if they did.

Anyway. I think we've both said our piece. W'e'll have to wait and see what happens!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
what does it matter if a character appeared more often if that character is nothing but a joke to begin with
Are you serious? So by this logic Bowser shouldn't be in the game because 1.) "He's a joke", and 2.) it doesn't matter how many games he's appeared in.

Also, the "he's a joke" bit, as much as you make it sound insulting to the character, doesn't affect him in the slightest. Perhaps only people who consider threat as a factor might be persuaded by this, but in reality, wether he's a joke or not doesn't affect squat. He's still iconic, and Black Shadow isn't.
(Refer to the bottom of this post for details)
, and just calling a anime subpar doesn't make my point that Black shadow isn't a good rep any different, and had you read a previous post I've made in the other topic I had originally stated i'd much rather Deathborn to get Ganon's moveset instead but I came to the second best choice I could think of
Being an F-Zero fan myself, I tried to watch it... and boy was it bad. But that's beside the point. The only reason you bring up the show is because you know it's the ONLY place where Black Shadow had a bit more importance than Samurai Goroh (then again, I wouldn't know yet because I could hardly stomach the 1st episode.) This and F-Zero GX where he wasn't even THE biggest threat. (He was actually kind of a wuss... in Cutscene #1)

as for why andross wasn't chosen over wolf is probably do to Andross being massively big and don't even bother comparing Andross with ridley or olimar in terms of "oh hey they could just do what they did with olimar and re-size him" that wouldn't work the same way it would for ridley (come on just picture how silly it would be to see a character who is usually the size of a rather large ship, run around the size of bowser, actually I think that would be awesome come to think about it lol) that and it would have been pretty hard to come up with a good moveset that would make sense for some one with only a head and two hands

that part with Krystal, I was surprised she wasn't in brawl in the first place to replace Falco but whatever
They already made a moveset for TWO set of hands, lol. Adding Andross' head is a no brainer *badumtshh*

But seriously, I know this is a project made by the community, the fans, etc.
And you can toss around as many excuses as you want. But ultimately, Nintendo knows who is more important to the F-Zero franchise. They keep telling us every time a new F-Zero game comes out.

(oh look, there's Black Shadow too near the horizon)

Super Smash Bros:

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
(at 1:09)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

...But yeah... Enough pointing out the obvious. I just think F-Zero deserves a lot more than having Black Shadow just to fill Ganon's role.
I fear for the future of Project M if they start doing things like the moveset swap, because that's not what this hack was supposed to do. It was supposed to turn Brawl into Melee, and things like this just stray from the main objective. If that's how things are going to go, I much rather have the game close at Mewtwo and Roy.

EDIT: Dang it's late, I think I'll do this tomorrow.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Are you serious? So by this logic Bowser shouldn't be in the game because 1.) "He's a joke", and 2.) it doesn't matter how many games he's appeared in.

Also, the "he's a joke" bit, as much as you make it sound insulting to the character, doesn't affect him in the slightest. Perhaps only people who consider threat as a factor might be persuaded by this, but in reality, wether he's a joke or not doesn't affect squat. He's still iconic, and Black Shadow isn't.
(Refer to the bottom of this post for details)

Being an F-Zero fan myself, I tried to watch it... and boy was it bad. But that's beside the point. The only reason you bring up the show is because you know it's the ONLY place where Black Shadow had a bit more importance than Samurai Goroh (then again, I wouldn't know yet because I could hardly stomach the 1st episode.) This and F-Zero GX where he wasn't even THE biggest threat. (He was actually kind of a wuss... in Cutscene #1)

They already made a moveset for TWO set of hands, lol. Adding Andross' head is a no brainer *badumtshh*

But seriously, I know this is a project made by the community, the fans, etc.
And you can toss around as many excuses as you want. But ultimately, Nintendo knows who is more important to the F-Zero franchise. They keep telling us every time a new F-Zero game comes out.

(oh look, there's Black Shadow too near the horizon)

Super Smash Bros:

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
(at 1:09)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

...But yeah... Enough pointing out the obvious. I just think F-Zero deserves a lot more than having Black Shadow just to fill Ganon's role.
I fear for the future of Project M if they start doing things like the moveset swap, because that's not what this hack was supposed to do. It was supposed to turn Brawl into Melee, and things like this just stray from the main objective. If that's how things are going to go, I much rather have the game close at Mewtwo and Roy.

EDIT: Dang it's late, I think I'll do this tomorrow.
yeah I'm kind of tired of this running around in circles thing, I'd just like to point out Project m may have or may not have started out as a hack to change brawl into melee but as people have said before the main objective now is to make the game more competitive and fun like melee was, and if it was suppose to be them turning brawl into melee what would be the point in playing it wouldn't everyone just play melee instead?

the reason I'd like Black Shadow to have Ganon's move-set and Ganon getting his own is because #1Ganon would get his own move-set and not be stuck being a clone of a character not even associated with his own franchise and #2 we could still keep the fun move-set Ganon currently possesses but have it on a character that would still match up with ganon's build (also the fact Black shadow is a f-zero character makes me feel that had Ganon originally have his own move-set that Black shadow would have been a luigfied version of falcon had he also been in melee/brawl)

despite me wanting to say a few other things about the post you made(mostly about the bowser thing and the anime), I say we just agree to disagree on the black shadow thing and move on to better things.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
+1
Plusle+Minun (a pichu duet? Could be tight, could be designed with lots of room for creative play like you see with ice climbers, and could be a nice reimagining of the duel character concept; only downside is pokemon being oversaturated, but I don't consider this a huge deal since they are nintendo's biggest franchise anyways. I'm not sure if they have appeared in brawl, I'd bet they have a trophy tho.)
Dark Samus (a fast, mewtwo like samus? I'm totally down)
Isaac (lots of cool stuff could be done with him, the only two swordsmen with projectiles don't use magic for them, so isaac would be an interesting diversion from that)
Sukapon (just cause I want to see more weird characters, has awesome amount of room for stuff new to smash)

+1/2
Black Shadow+Ganon Rework (I would like to see ganon be much cooler, and falcon deserves a proper nemesis)
Knuckles (a harder hitting slower sonic clone? could be cool)

Ridley (he's too big and his proportions look ridiculous scaled down)
Shadow (Do Not Steal)
Waluigi (seems like his moveset would be basically made up or swinging sports stuff. also mario franchise is well repped, also not important to any games every really?)
Any toon-zelda character (I already don't like tink, and wish there had only ever been one Link from the start but eh.)

I'm curious as to how much stock PMBR is putting in this thread.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Writing this on mobile so I can't color my text:

PLUS

-Ridley (do I need to explain? He's really the ideal Metroid rep to add, the thread starter already covered why)

-Toad (I know a lot of people don't like Toad but incorporating him as his Super Mario Bros. 2 self would undeniably be neat. With a veggie mechanic similar yet different than Peach and attacks that use his big old head, he'd be a fun character. P. S. For those who say it can't happen because Peach already uses Toad as her neutral-B just make this Toad's default color blue. This can be a nod to how he was blue in the original NES release of SMB2 and the upcoming 3D World. Lastly, I always thought he was adorable and he'd be a good "cute" character to add)

-A decloned Ganondorf in SOME form (they could either make a brand new original Ganon and keep the current one or be more radical and do the reskin and make old Ganon an F-Zero character, like yeah Black Shadow, or Deathborne, or if the fans don't mind maybe even Samurai Goroh. Some have already expressed that an original S. Goroh would be better but either way clone or not people prefer him over Black Shadow it seems)

-Takamaru (he's from a game on the Famicom Disk System called Nazo no Murasame Jo, which was released the same day as The Legend of Zelda. I picked him since his eastern look could make him immediately look more distinct compared to the rest of the PM cast. His game from Nintendo Land is the only one not represented as a fighter or stage in Brawl or PM other than a song (Douchuumen) and a sticker maybe? I'd appreciate it if someone could check if I'm wrong about the sticker part. Also, given how Sakurai gave Pit from Kid Icarus an amazing new design and seeing how well PM updated Roy and Mewtwo, I trust that they can come up with a cool redesign for Takamaru that doesn't look like the one from Samurai Warriors 3)

-Ninten (I'm a big Mother fan and seeing as how both Ness and Lucas represent their party members in Smash I thought that the same should happen with this Mother 1 rep. He'd have Ana's PK Beam attack as well as his own moves like 4th D Slip, Quick Up, and the boomerang weapon since it was one of the strongest in the game. Basically an even more unique Mother character who wouldn't even have the luxuries of PSI Magnet or double jump cancelling)

HALF:

-Samurai Goroh (see above)

-Waluigi

-Sukapon

-Young Link as a completely original character inspired by both Ocarina of Time and especially Majora's Mask

-Dixie

No Minus section since I don't see any bad or horrible opinions

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Just my two cents on the whole Black Shadow / Ganondorf issue, since a lot of things have already been said...

Let's say the idea does gain traction and is welcomed by the PMBR. A lot of arguments are about losing Ganondorf's greatness or whatever... I get the vibe that it's like there's no new character being added at all. Do you doubt the ability of the PMBR to make a Ganondorf that will piss your piss pants like they did in the Roy/Mewtwo videos? Yes, you would lose the visual appearance of Ganondorf from his old moveset (without changing the metagame at all), and this may be whatever degree of a negative for you... but consider the degree of awesome that could be made out of a new character, as well.

Also, I like how the discussion is being kept pretty consistent here. That way when it's over and people start discussing another character, I can link to the beginning of the Black Shadow/Ganondorf discussion in the OP so that people don't repeat themselves needlessly further down the line.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Full vote goes to:
1. Sami
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Sukapon
5. Waluigi
All of these characters feel impossible to be in Smash 4, so I want to vote for these 5.
I hope i'm voting right.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom