• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Never Going Back to For Glory...

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I found this link (Smash Ladder) posted on Reddit, and have been playing with it for the past two hours. The community is great, and the set up is easy. I found it a bit difficult to get used to having platforms again, but I already feel like my play is improving. They have a ranking system, or if you want you can just play friendly matches. Great website, more people should be using it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Good for you then :p

I am not willing to play in the same stages over and over again, so I will be sticking with For Glory myself ;)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068

I am not willing to play in the same stages over and over again, so I will be sticking with For Glory myself ;)
Well that's a bit ironic.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Am I the only one who senses the irony?
I am not talking about stage layouts. Sure, For Glory only allows Omega Mode (FD stages), but I like the variety of background and music ;)

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I am not talking about stage layouts. Sure, For Glory only allows Omega Mode (FD stages), but I like the variety of background and music ;)
HELLO!? on paper it's just a flat platform. Besides in the ladder u can use ever FD stage.

D

Deleted member 245254

Just turn the BGM off and play whatever music you want then.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
I'm loving the site you posted! The layout is really nice and easy to use... and it doesn't hurt that I'm in the top 25 already. :p

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh thank you very much for this, I didn't know something like this exists.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
This site is great. I just started using it myself. its full of friendly players. I would recommend it over For glory anyday!

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

You can talk with your opponent and pick a different style of Final Destination, there's no rules against it! It's been odd re-adjusting to platforms, but it's a vital skill to have if you are going to play the game somewhat competitively.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Interesting. I'll have to look at getting into this later this week.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Wow thank you so much for the tip.

I don't think I will completely abandon FG, it's a bit less stressful in some ways, but if you're looking to up your game outside of tournies... look no further. FG can be like "Training+" or if you find someone good it's no different than the above site with faster times getting in and playing. But this is awesome.

Smashboards, Smashladder, and FG have vastly improved my fun in this series. No clue where I'd be with these tools earlier but I'm so damn happy to have them now >:D

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Hey, thanks for linking us to the site! It seems like a great and fun alternative to For Glory, but I kind of have a concern about it.

I understand you can't speak for the whole Smashladder community, but from your experience, what is the overall attitude of the people you get matched up with? If you've ever been badly beat, did they make a deal out of it, or did they actually offer you advice on how to improve? For someone who is still learning the game, do you think it would be best to stay on For Glory, or would Smashladder provide an overall better learning experience?

People have mentioned that For Glory is less stressful, but I find that if I'm talking to the person I'm fighting, it's much more relaxed as I know what they think of me, and I'm aware of their intentions. I think that arranged matches are much less stressful than online play. That's just me though, each to their own :p

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty over For Glory mode myself. I get it's supposed to be a place to win and challenge yourself, but it should seriously be called "EVO Practice Mode" because too many opponents have a defensive, campy play style. I want to test my skills and improve, but playing against opponents like Link and Pit who camp and play very defensively just isn't fun. Yes it's valid, I can't make them play a different way, but I sure can leave after the game and make sure I never play them again. I'm pretty sure having it only on FD makes this an issue too, playing on BF would make those issues a lot easier. gogo anthers ladder

wmo_

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks for linking us to the site! It seems like a great and fun alternative to For Glory, but I kind of have a concern about it.

I understand you can't speak for the whole Smashladder community, but from your experience, what is the overall attitude of the people you get matched up with? If you've ever been badly beat, did they make a deal out of it, or did they actually offer you advice on how to improve? For someone who is still learning the game, do you think it would be best to stay on For Glory, or would Smashladder provide an overall better learning experience?

People have mentioned that For Glory is less stressful, but I find that if I'm talking to the person I'm fighting, it's much more relaxed as I know what they think of me, and I'm aware of their intentions. I think that arranged matches are much less stressful than online play. That's just me though, each to their own :p
screw everybody. if he gloats for winning, either play him more for practice (assuming he's good) or leave. if he's a sore loser, leave. If they're a ****, leave.

this system is 100x better for improving than For Glory. you need to be able to chat with your opponent, play something other than FD, and have some form of opponent control.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I've only played 2 sets, the first guy wasn't mean, but wasn't very talkative either...i beat him 2-0 but he still said gg and gave me nice feedback.

The second guy was much more pleasant, complimented me on reading him a lot and I complimented him in return. Also 2-0d him but he wasn't salty at all.

It's nice to be able to communicate with your opponent.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I found this link (Smash Ladder) posted on Reddit, and have been playing with it for the past two hours. The community is great, and the set up is easy. I found it a bit difficult to get used to having platforms again, but I already feel like my play is improving. They have a ranking system, or if you want you can just play friendly matches. Great website, more people should be using it.
Hold it.

An actual ranking system? R-really? Not just for solo modes? Not Global Smash Power, that despressing "Ranking System" that only took your solo records?..........Y----y-ya serious? For real? Not even just FD.......people that are KIND, REALLY!? NO SPAMMERS AT ALL!?!?!?

I've only played 2 sets, the first guy wasn't mean, but wasn't very talkative either...i beat him 2-0 but he still said gg and gave me nice feedback.

The second guy was much more pleasant, complimented me on reading him a lot and I complimented him in return. Also 2-0d him but he wasn't salty at all.

Well said. I always worry about what my opponent is saying / doing behind the scenes after smashing.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

It depends on the person you're playing. I've played 4 people, and 3 out of those 4 were very friendly. The one person (who's currently ranked 2nd) was only there to, well, win. In and out. The other 3 were happy to talk between matches, and you have the opportunity to speak with them after you've played.
I like it a lot so far, I'd definitely give it a shot.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
screw everybody. if he gloats for winning, either play him more for practice (assuming he's good) or leave. if he's a sore loser, leave. If they're a ****, leave.

this system is 100x better for improving than For Glory. you need to be able to chat with your opponent, play something other than FD, and have some form of opponent control.
Thanks, I really like your attitude towards this. I'll have to put up with people who gloat and brag in Smash sometime, and if it happens, it won't do me any harm. If somebody is that snarky, I shouldn't let it bother me anyway. Thanks for your input! :)

That sounds like a pretty good experience so far, hope you continue to get matched up with nice folk! As long as people manage to at least say "gg", that's enough to make me feel like we both respect each other and enjoyed each others company. Thanks for the reassurance :)

It depends on the person you're playing. I've played 4 people, and 3 out of those 4 were very friendly. The one person (who's currently ranked 2nd) was only there to, well, win. In and out. The other 3 were happy to talk between matches, and you have the opportunity to speak with them after you've played.
I like it a lot so far, I'd definitely give it a shot.
Thanks, I think I will! It seems like a good place to learn, so what have I got to lose? The idea of being able to actually communicate with your opponent is very interesting indeed. Hope you continue to enjoy your games there :)

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'm so done with For Glory, i want to interact with other players and not play against try hards(they'll be less of them on this).

Will be using that site from now on, i can honestly see the vast majority of the user here jumping on this instead of sticking to For Glory.

Thanks OP you really bought life into this game by sharing it.

Convert youtube videos of Smash 3ds ost into mp3 and download and listen to it while playing. <.<

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Just a followup. The site is beyond worth joining. It's just an easier layout than forum hopping and more consistently better matched opponents than FG. The ability to talk to your opponent before and after the match is key for so many reasons and I wish Nintendo could step it up a bit in this regard. I understand they have kiddos to sit though... but really, they should have better options by now.

by the way, the best part of the thread's name is it gets people in thinking there's someone in distress and about to give up. Soon to find out that there's a promised land on the other side.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Definitely a much better option if you want to get better at the game and give/recieve feedback. However For Glory will never die out because of it's convenience, even if it's just to test stuff, people will be still using it regardless of their level.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
This is neat. I'll have to try this out sometime, although I'll probably still play For Glory a bit, only because it's a lot quicker to just pick up and go with it as opposed to setting up something like this every time I want to play.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
For someone who is still learning the game, do you think it would be best to stay on For Glory, or would Smashladder provide an overall better learning experience?
Out of the 9 people I've faced so far, only one had a negative attitude. Also, the overall skill level of the players is much higher than For Glory. The only reason I would stick with For Glory is the speed of getting a match.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wow, it seems interesting. I actually think I WILL check this out, even if I'm not that good XP

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I can't express how awesome this idea is. Whenever I play a ranked match, I put myself in a tourney setting. This will hopefully help me qualm the nerves I feel at an actual tournament. People are playing to win, and are generally playing their best. It's great, and I feel I've improved my gameplay from only being there a few hours. Definitely give it a shot guys!

Top Bottom