• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
While Mother's fanbase is small, it's still there. Ness needs to be back to appeal to this. I love Ness, and there's a serious problem if he doesn't come back.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Ness is going anywhere, and while I don't really think Lucas is either - with only a month left I admit I'm starting to question Lucas.

Ness has the benefit of three games worth of seniority and relevancy within the Smash franchise, being one of the more recognizable fighters thanks to his "perfect attendance!" He's also got the benefit of being the only Mother playable character who comes from a game that was released internationally, giving him the best international reach. Add in the fact that Earthbound was recently released on VC thanks to the heavy demand and Nintendo seeing its loyal pocket of popularity, and he's still by and far the best choice for a Mother representative in a Smash game - and we all know there's at least one, because there are still Mother items in the game as well as the "Mother" logo that they were associated with in the Direct. If there were no Mother characters, their logo would just be the Smash logo (i.e. Lip's Stick not getting a special logo for its game, but rather just using the Smash logo).

So with the knowledge that there's at least one Mother character, and the knowledge that Ness is by and far the most likely and the most internationally recognizable Mother character, I'd say his chances of being in this game are bordering on absolute certainty.

And while I don't see any real reason for them to drop Lucas, I'd say if we're seeing a Mother character cut, it's him. Still think he's back as well, though. I really do.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think it is very weird any of the Earthbound reps have been revealed yet. That's seriously strange.. I guess that doesn't bode well for Porky as a newcomer.

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Ness is going anywhere, and while I don't really think Lucas is either - with only a month left I admit I'm starting to question Lucas.

Ness has the benefit of three games worth of seniority and relevancy within the Smash franchise, being one of the more recognizable fighters thanks to his "perfect attendance!" He's also got the benefit of being the only Mother playable character who comes from a game that was released internationally, giving him the best international reach. Add in the fact that Earthbound was recently released on VC thanks to the heavy demand and Nintendo seeing its loyal pocket of popularity, and he's still by and far the best choice for a Mother representative in a Smash game - and we all know there's at least one, because there are still Mother items in the game as well as the "Mother" logo that they were associated with in the Direct. If there were no Mother characters, their logo would just be the Smash logo (i.e. Lip's Stick not getting a special logo for its game, but rather just using the Smash logo).

So with the knowledge that there's at least one Mother character, and the knowledge that Ness is by and far the most likely and the most internationally recognizable Mother character, I'd say his chances of being in this game are bordering on absolute certainty.

And while I don't see any real reason for them to drop Lucas, I'd say if we're seeing a Mother character cut, it's him. Still think he's back as well, though. I really do.
The mother logo was in a direct? Or are you talking about the franklin badge?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I think Ness' reveal is long overdue and needs to happen already

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
The mother logo was in a direct? Or are you talking about the franklin badge?
...I'm about to freak out. I could have sworn in the items montage of the direct, one of the items shown was Mr. Saturn and it had the Mother logo next to his name. Guess Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge were only released in screenshots without the Mother logo though...? Damn my memory! D:

Regardless... I still think these items are enough to confirm at least one Mother rep.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Seeing how Marth may be a starter this time around, think Ness will go back to being a starter or unlockable?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I see Lucas maybe getting cut because of how almost full clon he is with Ness. And with custom moves, Ness could just have Lucas moves as customs, and Lucas could be a Ness skin, just like Lucina was going to be for Marth in the first place.
And to be honest that could perfectly explain the lack of Earthbound reps as of today.
Not hating on Lucas though, just having a logical theory.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I see Lucas maybe getting cut because of how almost full clon he is with Ness.
Moves Lucas shares with Ness:

Up aerial
Forward Smash
PK Thunder
PK Fire
PSI Magnet

And the last 3 don't even function the same on-hit.

He is not almost full clone, he's being cut for the same reason Wolf might be--it'd be more work for Sakurai to make Lucas the unique clone he is than it would be to just make a lot of closer clones like Falco, Toon Link, Dr. Mario and Ganondorf, as much as that may suck.

MugiMikey

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it baffles me that Mother is the only series with multiple characters that has no reveals yet. Both Ness and Lucas are my mains in Brawl and I would love to see both return, but I need at least one to come back. I definitely want it to be Ness; I main him in all three games, and the unspoken rule of the original 12 (and some confirmed items like Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge) keep me hopeful for his return.

There's less than a month left until release, so I'm starting to have doubts Lucas will make it in. I think Sakurai would have revealed at least one of the boys by now if he intended on including both of them. I'd assume Ness automatically stays due to seniority and because his game has an international release, and rightfully so.

Gotta say, I check every POTD hoping Ness (or any other Mother content) will finally be revealed. My gut says he'll be back, but I just gotta see it confirmed.

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
unlockable, because nothing is known about him in this game and Lucas will get the cut
Unless we get a surprise reveal in the next week or two, I'm inclined to agree. The thing that really sucks about this is that I main Ness and my brother mains Lucas. One of us is going to be really disappointed. Just a matter of which.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unless we get a surprise reveal in the next week or two, I'm inclined to agree. The thing that really sucks about this is that I main Ness and my brother mains Lucas. One of us is going to be really disappointed. Just a matter of which.
People still question Ness? You have no reason to worry. I also think Lucas is back

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
People still question Ness? You have no reason to worry. I also think Lucas is back
I'm not ruling out the possibility is all. Inclined to believe Ness is coming back and Lucas is getting cut, but considering the history involving Sakurai's intention to include Lucas in the first title I still see it as capable of happening. Personally don't feel the rule of the original twelve is unquestionable.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
there's always a bit of it....
Worry not Ness will be back he represents an entire franchise and more importantly he's Shegesato Itoi's Creation. That be Dishonorable of Sakurai to not include him.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Ness or/and Lucas will be back that's for sure, Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge are proof of it. The fact that at this point none of them got revealed yet, though, it's suspicious..

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
It is suspicious that Sakurai hasn't shown anything of Ness or Lucas except for Mr. Saturn and the Franklin badge. I know he's labeled a troll and all, but it's been way too long to not have at least one rep. shown at this point, when there's only less than a month left to JP Release, and the fans are really starting to worry. There's always a possibility he's saving them for a character reveal trailer(possibly for a Mother newcomer, or some other newcomer), but i'm not holding my breath on that. If we don't get at least a Ness reveal on the Mother 2 20th anniversary in 10 days, the fans are going to start thinking one of them is cut, and i'm just going to give up on getting a Mother reveal before the release, and they might end up just being unlockable/hidden chars.

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Yeah, there's no chance that Ness will be cut. He's been in every game since the first, so everyone just calm down. :p

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Let us not forget that Ness was not revealed as a character in Brawl until AFTER the game's Japan release.
Yeah, but Lucas was revealed randomly before release, that's why it's suspicios to say the least that none of them have been revealed yet at this point.

thelastreplicant

Smash Cadet
NNID
thelastreplicant
3DS FC
3480-2884-6458
As much as it sucks that they haven't revealed Ness yet hopefully this means they're just holding off because he's in a newcomer trailer.

It would be so cool to see our boy in that glorious CGI. Ness pls ;__;

thelastreplicant

Smash Cadet
NNID
thelastreplicant
3DS FC
3480-2884-6458
Well for anyone worrying about the Mother characters being cut this picture of the back of the Smash 3DS box just surfaced.

http://i.imgur.com/iU571fE.jpg

While Ness and Lucas aren't shown, Creatures Inc. is credited under the characters section. I'm pretty sure the Mother characters belong to Creatures Inc seeing as they are the successor to Ape Inc.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Well for anyone worrying about the Mother characters being cut this picture of the back of the Smash 3DS box just surfaced.

While Ness and Lucas aren't shown, Creatures Inc. is credited under the characters section. I'm pretty sure the Mother characters belong to Creatures Inc seeing as they are the successor to Ape Inc.
oooh, good eye there. I had no doubt that the franchise would be returning with at least Ness but seeing it on the box is p comforting none the less

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
As much as it sucks that they haven't revealed Ness yet hopefully this means they're just holding off because he's in a newcomer trailer.

It would be so cool to see our boy in that glorious CGI. Ness pls ;__;
or maybe they changed ness? I mean all other characters had a reason to be held off, (Most recent being meta knight) so its entirely possible to see a new moveset or revamped moves. this leads me to the speculation that ness has changed dramatically in some way.

Ehhh... no it really does not. There is already mother content in game right? so at the very minimum the game company has to bee there to check up on it right?

Also DOBBLE POSTS! GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ehhh... no it really does not. There is already mother content in game right? so at the very minimum the game company has to bee there to check up on it right?

Friendly reminder that copyrights only show up on the boxart if those characters show up on the box. If this weren't the case, Ubisoft would be shown there because of the Rayman trophy.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Guys. Guys.

I know I was just in here last post to reassure you all that Ness wasn't revealed in Brawl until after its release, but now I have let you in on some bad news:

Creatures inc. makes Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

Guys. Guys.

I know I was just in here last post to reassure you all that Ness wasn't revealed in Brawl until after its release, but now I have let you in on some bad news:

Friendly reminder that copyrights only show up on the boxart if those characters show up on the box. If this weren't the case, Ubisoft would be shown there because of the Rayman trophy.
There really isn't any need to worry.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Guys. Guys.

We know. We were just saying that Creatures Inc. used to be Ape Inc. which made Earthbound. Andb esides, i doubt Ness'll be cut. If only Lucas was the only rep. for Mother and there was no Ness, there'd be so much raging from the community.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Also, it lacks Platinum Games for the Wonder-Red trophy. ...Am I right?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Also, it lacks Platinum Games for the Wonder-Red trophy. ...Am I right?
Well, they didn't want anything about Wonderful 101 in Smash, yet we got him as a trophy...? So...I guess that proves this leak fake then.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
OK, i take back what i said before. I kind of think that the packaging is fake, i mean, where was it confirmed anyway? After doing a little researching, i found these:

Creatures Inc. and Ape INc. were both cited as seperate in the boxarts for the last 2 Smash games. I know they are the same company, but when it came to citing Mother 2 and Pokemon, they were cited under their two seperate names. Also, in Brawl, Lucas/Mother 3 was cited under Shigesato Itoi there, even though they could've cited him under Hal, due to them working on M3 but didnt. And here:

Neither Ape, or Itoi are cited here. Even though in the past 2 games, they were cited seperately, so why stop now? I think now, these are the only two answers. Either:

A) Ness and Lucas have been cut
B) This is a fake leak

There wasn't anything confirming this to be real in the first place, but alot of people took this as a legit leak. PLus, i doubt they would completely ditch Mother, especially with Mr. SAturn and Franklin Badges being in the game. Also, that would mean the Original 12 rule has been broken.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Or C) They aren't credited because Ness or Lucas aren't on the box, which they where in both Melee and Brawl respectively. (At least in the non American ones)

The copyrights lists only the content that is on the box, not what is in the game (Otherwise that list would have been much longer), hence why Ape and Itoi where credited in the Melee and Brawl boxes as they contained either Ness or Lucas respectively on them. They aren't anywhere on the 3DS Box because neither Mother boy's are anywhere to be found on that box.

I recall even Intelligent Systems wasn't credited in the Melee box despite that Marth and Roy where playable and all. Most likely due to them not being featured anywhere on that box especially since they where also hidden as unlockable characters.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Or C) They aren't credited because Ness or Lucas aren't on the box, which they where in both Melee and Brawl. (At least in the non American ones)

The copyrights lists only the content that is on the box, not what is in the game (Otherwise that list would have been much longer), hence why Ape and Itoi where credited in the Melee and Brawl boxes as they contained either Ness or Lucas respectively on them. They aren't anywhere on the 3DS Box because neither Mother boy's are anywhere to be found on that box.

I recall even Intelligent Systems wasn't credited in the Melee box despite that Marth and Roy where playable and all. Most likely due to them no being featured anywhere on that box especially since they where also hidden as unlockable characters.
I would believe this, but Ness is no where to be found on any of the Brawl boxarts for any of the countries(that i have been able found on the internet) including JP, and Ape is still credited, and before you say anything Lucas's game(Mother 3) was not made by Ape. Also, Neither Marth or Ike are on any of the Brawl boxarts i can find, and intelligent systems is still listed. :\

Although, that claim about Intelligent Systems not being credited in Melee could work with what's happening here with Smash 4. But seriously, it's like SAKurai's blocking the fans AT EVERY TURN so we cant' find out if any Mother reps. are in the game. -__- I mean, this was probably the last thing that could've changed that, and then Sakurai doesn't list their creators/companies that manufactured their games. I'm really getting annoyed by this now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would believe this, but Ness is no where to be found on any of the Brawl boxarts for any of the countries(that i have been able found on the internet) including JP, and Ape is still credited, and before you say anything Lucas's game(Mother 3) was not made by Ape. Also, Neither Marth or Ike are on any of the Brawl boxarts i can find, and intelligent systems is still listed. :\

Although, that claim about Intelligent Systems not being credited in Melee could work with what's happening here with Smash 4. But seriously, it's like SAKurai's blocking the fans AT EVERY TURN so we cant' find out if any Mother reps. are in the game. -__- I mean, this was probably the last thing that could've changed that, and then Sakurai doesn't list their creators/companies that manufactured their games. I'm really getting annoyed by this now.
Actually Ike is present on the back of the Japanese Brawl box, he's right below Charizard getting hit by Mario's final Smash.
As for Lucas I'm not sure, is the franchise itself a part of APE inc and Shigesato Itoi? that could probably be why Lucas would get included with it....

Well so long as every company that took part in the games in any way at least gets credited in the actual in game's credits. I suppose he could leave most of the list out and only credit those who's characters are a part of the game's box to save themselves a lot of space.....

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
@
spiderfreak1011
APE Inc and Shigesato Itoi were listed on Brawl's cover because Lucas is shown in the back, his game wasn't developed by APE but the Mother franchise itself does belong to them and Shigesato Itoi which is why they were listed.

It's safe to say they're not listed on Smash 4 because they don't appear anywhere on the cover front nor back, like @Kikwi-Kiwi says Intelligent Systems were not listed on Melee's cover because Marth and Roy doesn't appear anywhere on it. And Ike is indeed on the back of the Brawl cover, that's why they were listed there.

I wouldn't worry about Ness coming back, there are already 2 Earthbound items confirmed (Franklin Bade and Mr. Saturn) his game was re-released officially worldwide for the first time recently on Wii U, and the biggest no brainer is that he's a veteran from the original Smash. Which garuantees his return, if anything Sakurai might have something planned for him on the 27th August which is the 20th anniversary of his game. There's going to be Mother 2 figurines coming out in Japan that day to celebrate it, that could leave a big opportunity for the Ness amiibo to be shown.

Probably won't happen, but it would be very nice if it did. Lucas however is another story. He may seem like a very likely candidate to be cut, but with characters like Toon Link, Lucario and Ike returning i wouldn't worry too much about Lucas.

PiChuChu

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think of this scenario?

Ness has his normal specials revamped to better represent himself in the games and his old specials along with Lucas's are custom moves, with Lucas becoming an alt costume, meaning perhaps a MOTHER series newcomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom