• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Tech Encyclopedia - Collection of All Techniques

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
==== Ness Tech Encyclopedia ====
Collection of All Ness Techniques
Every Smash Bros. player should agree that techniques are a big part of competitive play. That's why I'm organizing them all right here for you!
Difficulty will be ranked by color. Green = Easy, Orange = Moderate and Red = Hard.
Techniques will be removed if they have been taken out of the game via patches.
PSI Magnet Cancel - Input left, right or jump right when you absorb something to automatically roll or jump. Good for avoiding pressure when magnetizing.
Pivot Inputs - Run in a direction, then quickly change directions and press attack shortly after to pivot and preform a tilt attack. Also works with side special, grabs and smash attacks(You just need to pivot and press attack at the same time).
Double Jump Cancel - Ness can cancel his double jump with his special moves, but the timing is pretty precise, and it's not very useful, since almost all of his specials stop his momentum.
DAir Cancel - Use a BAir just as you are about to land to cancel PK Fire or air dodge landing lag. It might seem tricky at first, but after a few tries, it gets easier.
PK Wallbounce - If you bump into a wall at a certain angle, you will bounce off the wall. If you time it right, you can use PK Thunder a second time.The window is very precise, but mashing Up B will almost always work.
Egg Hitbox - Most of the time, PKT will launch you at the angle it hits, rather than the location of the thunder its self. However, there are two spots exactly on Ness' head and feet that PKT will influence based on the location, not the direction. If the PKT was coming in sideways and it hits the weird hitbox by the feet, it will launch you straight up.
Reverse PKT2 - This tech is similar to the Egg Hitbox. On Ness' side, by his neck, hitting a PKT will shoot you down diagonally. This is different to how PKT2 works, because, again, instead of the PKT influencing based on direction, it influences based on location. You can trigger this by looping a PKT around the bottom of Ness and then hitting this sweet spot. == Video ==
Floating Spike - This tech is really easy to preform, but hard to land. after double jumping, quickly do a DAir, and you will have a spike flying upwards. Use this to surprise opponents recovering horizontally. This tech can be used by all characters, but I find it especially useful with Ness since his DAir has a lot of delay.
DJ Shenanigans - Ness' DJ is very janky in this game, if you input certain actions immediately after you double jump, you can change Ness' movement. Doing an air dodge will boost you upwards even farther (PK Hi-Jump), while using an attack will stall Ness slightly (PK Stalljump). The timing is very precice, but easy to pull off.

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
PSI Magnet Cancel: Input left, right, or jump right when you absorb with PSI Magnet to roll or jump.

Pivot PK Fire/Tilt/Smash/Grab: Run in one direction then tap to the other direction and press A, B, or Z. Useful for spacing.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PK Fire Lag Cancel: Works similarly to air dodge cancelling. After completing an aerial PK Fire, do a dair before you land to cancel the laggy landing animation for PKF.

Also, don't forget some of the techs in my PKT recovery thread. Mostly the PKT2 Bounce Recovery. Don't know if you consider wall riding and wall ricocheting techs (ricochets are bad for your health). PKT Ledge Snap is useful at times too.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
PK Fire Lag Cancel: Works similarly to air dodge cancelling. After completing an aerial PK Fire, do a dair before you land to cancel the laggy landing animation for PKF.
Cool. I didn't know that existed.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
PKT Ledgestall: directing PKT into the wall/ground so that Ness grabs the ledge right afterward.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
PKT Ledgestall: directing PKT into the wall/ground so that Ness grabs the ledge right afterward.
Not too sure what you mean by that. If you mean running yourself into a ledge after hitting yourself with PKT2 to grab it, that's just standard gameplay.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
He means dropping from the ledge, immediately hitting a wall with PKT (NOT PKT2), and falling back onto the ledge to regrab it.

Not sure of its utility in this game though. It was useful enough in Brawl, but since invulnerability frames aren't refreshed until you set foot on stage, I don't really see its applications in this game.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
He means dropping from the ledge, immediately hitting a wall with PKT (NOT PKT2), and falling back onto the ledge to regrab it.

Not sure of its utility in this game though. It was useful enough in Brawl, but since invulnerability frames aren't refreshed until you set foot on stage, I don't really see its applications in this game.
Ohh, ok. Yeah, it doesn't look like it has any real use this game.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Ness can do the PK Jump from Brawl... if that hasn't already been said already somewhere

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness can do the PK Jump from Brawl... if that hasn't already been said already somewhere
You're right, I almost forgot about this.
It works the exact same way as it does in Brawl too.

You can use it as a surprising, extremely high risk/reward approach. If you miss, laggy PKF will get you punished. If you hit though, you'll get an aerial PKF that should center the opponent in the flame. Be sure to combine this with the PKF lag cancel.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
You're right, I almost forgot about this.
It works the exact same way as it does in Brawl too.

You can use it as a surprising, extremely high risk/reward approach. If you miss, laggy PKF will get you punished. If you hit though, you'll get an aerial PKF that should center the opponent in the flame. Be sure to combine this with the PKF lag cancel.
OK, from what I understand of it from a video, is it a bit like medium hop to DJC with PK Fire? If not, I need some more clarification.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
there's a very small point on the top of Ness' head that if you are on the ground and go to hit yourself with PKT it will send him toward the direction the PKT came from. I've only been able to do this twice by accident though

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
OK, from what I understand of it from a video, is it a bit like medium hop to DJC with PK Fire? If not, I need some more clarification.
You don't actually cancel all of your DJ vertical momentum. You rise up a lot more than a FK PKF.
But from the way I did it a lot of chars were too short to hit with it.... so Im confused.

SuzuTitor

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuzuTitor
3DS FC
0688-6401-1227
Just to understand how Thunderbounce works, you're supposed to aim exactly perpendicular to the wall?
I can get it a few times, but I fail to see the practicality of it considering the angle needs to be so precise and that it's pretty useless if you Thunderbounce too low. If you Thunderbounce below the midpoint of the stage, you won't have enough vertical recovery to make it. If you're going to spend that much time perfecting the angle to hit the wall, you have enough time to perfect sweetspotting the edge on rectangular FDs.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just to understand how Thunderbounce works, you're supposed to aim exactly perpendicular to the wall?
I can get it a few times, but I fail to see the practicality of it considering the angle needs to be so precise and that it's pretty useless if you Thunderbounce too low. If you Thunderbounce below the midpoint of the stage, you won't have enough vertical recovery to make it. If you're going to spend that much time perfecting the angle to hit the wall, you have enough time to perfect sweetspotting the edge on rectangular FDs.
Might wanna look at my Thunder Omega guide. It's a bit more complicated than that.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
You don't actually cancel all of your DJ vertical momentum. You rise up a lot more than a FK PKF.
But from the way I did it a lot of chars were too short to hit with it.... so Im confused.
Actually, it's just a full jump to DJC PKF. Although, a newer method which I call PK Hop is more useful. Watch this video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bAHoZWeWfTQ

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I dont know if you have it specified with the dair cancel, but something i like to do that isnt said is you can short hop airdodge and then do the nair cancel to land with a hitbox

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
I dont know if you have it specified with the dair cancel, but something i like to do that isnt said is you can short hop airdodge and then do the nair cancel to land with a hitbox
Good idea, but that wouldn't cancel landing lag though, would it?

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
Good idea, but that wouldn't cancel landing lag though, would it?
It pretty sure it does I dont know the exact frame data, but I can go straight into jab or grab, you barely even see the nair, when you do it correctly.

I am assuming it is taking the auto canceld landing lag from the nair, and if you fast fall it i think you do have the air dodge landing lag

It is something I am still messing around with and can only do it consistently when i do it during a dash forward, but so far it has been pretty useful

Last edited:

PKSalt

Smash Rookie
NNID
SaltOnToast
Don't really have any tech to share (Still learning the game myself) but I just wanted to say how helpful this is I've read through most of these and have learned things I would never have even thought of.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Don't really have any tech to share (Still learning the game myself) but I just wanted to say how helpful this is I've read through most of these and have learned things I would never have even thought of.
Thanks! (even though this extremely late)

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Using NAir shortly before you hit the ground will shorten any landing lag from aerial attacks.
I don't quite understand what you mean here. Do you mean landing with Uair and then inputting a Nair to reduce said landing lag of Uair, for example? o.o

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
That last one isn't an AT. That's just using nair upon landing. Nair doesn't even have the shortest landing lag, uair does. Dair is even faster if the hitbox doesn't come out. Some situations allow aerials to cancel lag yes (like air dodges and PKF), but it isn't exclusive to nair nor is it even the best. It also doesn't cancel the lag of other aerials.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Uair actually has less landing lag than Nair, so you could replace the bottom technique with that

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I understand where this is coming from, but it is outdated. Before patch 1.04, Ness had to do an aerial before landing to cancel landing lag from short hop -> air dodge. Now it autocancels though.

Last edited:

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Uair actually has less landing lag than Nair, so you could replace the bottom technique with that
ok
I understand where this is coming from, but it is outdated. Before patch 1.04, Ness had to do an aerial before landing to cancel landing lag from short hop -> air dodge. Now it autocancels though.
wow, really?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just tested, it does. not sure if this counts as a tech, though

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You sure about that? I'm still pretty sure that dair pre-hitbox has less landing lag than air dodging into the ground.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
You sure about that? I'm still pretty sure that dair pre-hitbox has less landing lag than air dodging into the ground.
That would be the fastest, if it was needed still.

It's not really airdodging into the ground. I guess the whole thing was a bug, making Ness still get airdodge landing lag even though he clearly ends his airdodge early enough that it shouldn't count.

Here's a video of how it used to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDkNkNPWYY

I just tested all of the characters he lists. You still have to preform an aerial to cancel the airdodge landing lag for everyone but Ness and Toon Link. Weird.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
No, the lag still happens if you hit the ground during the animation.
No... dair is lagless if you land during the startup. It's been like this in every game. It'd the driving concept of the PK Fire Lag Cancel. It's certainly safer than nair or uair landing.

Anyhoo, I just tested air dodging. That's peculiar, I swear last time I checked air dodges had landing lag even after you could perform other actions. Oh well, that's a good thing!

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
No... dair is lagless if you land during the startup. It's been like this in every game. It'd the driving concept of the PK Fire Lag Cancel. It's certainly safer than nair or uair landing.
OK, I was referring to the air dodge-into-the-ground lag, sorry, I got a bit confused there.
Yes, I am fully aware that DAir Cancels lag way faster than any other aerial.

TreeFire80

Smash Cadet
there's a very small point on the top of Ness' head that if you are on the ground and go to hit yourself with PKT it will send him toward the direction the PKT came from. I've only been able to do this twice by accident though
Is there a reason no one is paying attention to this? This is a very hard tactic with huge risk if you're too close to the ledge and miss the sweetspot, but I can do it semi-consistently and even pulled it off in a match once or twice purposefully. It's excellent at confusing your opponent that's not expecting you to get launched the opposite way you're pkt is travelling and it's near impossible for them to know that's what you're going for until it's too late. It seems like the other half of the Egg Hitbox mentioned in the OP but without a description/uses of it. I've searched elsewhere of people mentioning it without luck and it seems to be going ignored now.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Is there a reason no one is paying attention to this? This is a very hard tactic with huge risk if you're too close to the ledge and miss the sweetspot, but I can do it semi-consistently and even pulled it off in a match once or twice purposefully. It's excellent at confusing your opponent that's not expecting you to get launched the opposite way you're pkt is travelling and it's near impossible for them to know that's what you're going for until it's too late. It seems like the other half of the Egg Hitbox mentioned in the OP but without a description/uses of it. I've searched elsewhere of people mentioning it without luck and it seems to be going ignored now.
Nobody I've seen in competitive play uses it, so no one really knows it exists. No one even uses this thread anymore for reference, it's pretty much dead.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
That's called the phenomenon of full range PKT2, which simply means that the trajectory of PKT does not dictate the direction you are propelled.

It's been known since melee. You can get creative with it, but it's nothing new, just tricky. I talk about this in my PKT recovery guide as well.

Top Bottom