• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Edgeguard Questions(mostly Tailwhipping related)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I've been playing Ness alongside the ICe Climbers for a few monthes now and I love him. But I always have a problem edge guarding. Mostly this is related to Tailwhipping.

Does tail whipping just work on space animals or does it work on everyone else too? I've BARELY got the basics of Tailwhipping down and I've noticed that against characters like fox and falco, it's ridiculous. Once I was able to DRAG A FALCO COMPLETELY DOWN FD WITH ABOUT 5 TAILWHIPS. This is of course, if I can manage to get the **** thing. I'll usually completely miss or hit the character with the head. How should I approach the Tailwhip? A character-by-character analysis would be nice if you guys could provide it. Would I have to get them during, before or after their recovery?

PK Fire works like a charm on certain characters(Fox and falco). On others it can be used as a prelude to the Tailwhip.

Sometimes I'll completely miss the tail whip and they'll land in front of me, great positioning for an assblast. Isn't the distance covered by Pk Thunder about 1.5-1.75 Final Destinations? How could I do this without getting Smashed?

Does PK Thunder destroy Samus's bombs during a bomb jump? If so, would a tailwhip also do it?

I don't know what else to ask. Anything to help would be nice.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
You can use it on marth as well to turn his up B around...

and it does not break samus's bombs as far as i know, but tailwhipping samus helps in getting her awy from the edge.

also tailwhipping is the most unnecessary but falshy way to kill someone. you really dont NEED it at all since ness has WAY better edgeguard options.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
You can use it on marth as well to turn his up B around...

and it does not break samus's bombs as far as i know, but tailwhipping samus helps in getting her awy from the edge.

also tailwhipping is the most unnecessary but falshy way to kill someone. you really dont NEED it at all since ness has WAY better edgeguard options.
What other options are there?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
For ness than tail whipping? Besides against a few remote characters (i.e. Samus...and thats about it) Ness can jump off the stage and Nuetral air wich cancels out phantasm and firefox if timed properly (practice it against the comps firefox if you want proof). Ness can meteor smash dair fox or falco if they are below him. Ness can bat. Ness can forward tilt, which is great if your oponent is in high percentages. Ness can fair, probably his most versatile edgeguard move against the firefox (against phantasm you always want to nair).

Oh yeah, and Ness can bair edgeguard which has just the amount of power you need for a strong edgeguard move.

Also Ness can plkflash, a much better edgeguard move than pkfire, and especially pragmatic against Shieks, Marths, Dr. Mario's and marios, Luigis, and some others.

Those are just some of his options. The thunder edgeguard though is completely unnecessary. It can be useful against a ganon whose trying to down B, and it can be useful against a Samus or link whose trying to grapple on stage, but any straght forward recoverer can easily be hit by a more accurate move.

The key to knowing how to edgeguard with ness is knowing how to use his aerials off the stage, moving your opponents too farfrom the stage to allow them to recover.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
When your trying to edgeguard shiek with pk flash where do you aim it? I'm guessing the edge...

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Well, the nice thing is with the plkflash is you can get her even inbetween her teleportation because of the huge hitbox, so my sugestion would be stand on final D near the edge (not exactly on the edge) and just send it as far right as possible. It doesn't have THAT much horizontal movement and frankly you dont want it so close to the edge that she can just upb above it. Better to place it so taht it can hit her during her up B as well as after the up B. Also its important that you set it off before she can grab the edge because it has a lingering hitbox, and if she grabs the edge shes got invincibility.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v4ZoyaOnPfE

look at :44

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Generally, I don't edgeguard with tailwhips. I do try to force the enemy to grab the edge with a tailwhip and then use the false edgeguard PKT2 when they roll(kinda have to step back a bit so they can't attack)

DonEdgardo

Smash Cadet
hmmm... i usually first see if she can up-b right beside me and if she can well i pk flash right in front of me but its all about the timing really not the position...

also if the are in the edge already position yourself for a bat in the face ;)

xeno

Smash Ace
Oh, ty. Didn't know that had a name. So I assume you could do this repeatedly.. :D

Top Bottom