• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Changes Tournament Mode Patch

Noa.

Smash Master
Please keep all discussion about the patch and any Ness changes to this thread.

As of yet we haven't found much yet.

Ness is confirmed to have changes though.

Right now Dantarion has posted the changes in code between this patch and the previous patch. Here's the link:

http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/raw/diff-128-144/ness.html

Definitely an aerial. A hitbox change seems to have been made. Most people are guessing a change to dair.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
I currently have the unpatched and patched versions on 2 Wii U's.
I can check any suspect moves if requested, but I don't have the time to check everything methodically right now.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Yeah its definitely has to be dair. Probably the hitbox got bigger. Still almost useless though.

Noa.

Smash Master
The data dump will confirm these things for us:

Knock back changes

Hitbox changes

Startup Changes

Damage changes

It doesn't do landing lag, end lag, or specials at all. So keep that in mind.

Referring to the data dump, the only change to Ness was for his dair. So if he has any other changes, it would have to be any of the things that I didn't list as being tracked by the data dump.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I got a link through Facebook leading to reddit about Ness' dair going from 3.5 units > 3.9 units on down air. I'm guessing that Ness will be able to actually spike. But I'm taking all of this information with a grain of salt. I might come back and edit this post after the update tomorrow to if percentages and KO moves changed. I'd like for Ness not to be nerfed.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Is it just me or Dair spikes more often? Still, the move is garbage and the yo-yos still have awful priority.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
PKT2 and d-smash were messed with and not in a good way. I'll get back to you on that when I come home from work.

Last edited:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure the only change to ness is a slight increase in the meteor hitbox of his dair. Unfortunately it still seems just as useless as the startup and strength of the meteor effect seem unaltered.

Was REALLY hoping that they were gonna fix thunderbounce on the left wall. ffs lucas can, this is irritating.

Last edited:

TheYash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheYash
Pretty sure the only change to ness is a slight increase in the meteor hitbox of his dair. Unfortunately it still seems just as useless.

Was REALLY hoping that they were gonna fix thunderbounce on the left wall. ffs lucas can, this is irritating.
Sorry if this is stupid but what do you mean by thunderbounce on left wall?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Are you sure it's not placebo? Cause this moves were not listed in the data dump.
How accurate is this data dump? Where did it come from? I'm not saying it's incorrect, I'm just saying that if it's accurate, then pay no attention to what I stated earlier. Compared to this 1.0.8 and what I was checking earlier, I'm seeing a difference, and you can't tell me percentages on KO moves aren't diminishing, because this isn't the first time I've checked something like this. I check these things about five times before going to the next move, just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. But if this data dump is accurate, then again, don't consider what I said earlier.

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this is stupid but what do you mean by thunderbounce on left wall?
Ness can recover with pkt2 by slamming into the side of the stage that has a wall (like omega onett for example) and immediately input a second pkt2 (but not a 3rd). This works at every angle on the right wall but is glitchy and will leave you helpless at certain trajectories on the left wall so I basically don't even bother attempting this method of recovery if i'm knocked off the left side of the stage.

Noa.

Smash Master
How accurate is this data dump? Where did it come from? I'm not saying it's incorrect, I'm just saying that if it's accurate, then pay no attention to what I stated earlier. Compared to this 1.0.8 and what I was checking earlier, I'm seeing a difference, and you can't tell me percentages on KO moves aren't diminishing, because this isn't the first time I've checked something like this. I check these things about five times before going to the next move, just to make sure it wasn't a mistake. But if this data dump is accurate, then again, don't consider what I said earlier.
The data dump does have knockback on it. It would show a difference in knockback in dsmash and pkt2. Their knockback was not changed.

Don't compare 3ds and Wii u versions for kill percents. The blast zones are not the same.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The data dump does have knockback on it. It would show a difference in knockback in dsmash and pkt2. Their knockback was not changed.

Don't compare 3ds and Wii u versions for kill percents. The blast zones are not the same.
Alright. I only have the 3DS, so that is what I've been using this whole time. Kind of strange that the blast zones aren't the same.

TheYash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheYash
Ness can recover with pkt2 by slamming into the side of the stage that has a wall (like omega onett for example) and immediately input a second pkt2 (but not a 3rd). This works at every angle on the right wall but is glitchy and will leave you helpless at certain trajectories on the left wall so I basically don't even bother attempting this method of recovery if i'm knocked off the left side of the stage.
Oh wow ya I knew the thunder thing but the not working properly on left wall thats really strange lol

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I tried messing with the Dair a little bit to see if it actually made any kind of difference. Nope, still doesn't do all that much whether or not the bigger hitbox is true. I didn't notice any other differences on Ness either.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
I haven't been throwing any more dairs out than usual, but I'm landing more of them. I think it is a subtle thing that may have ended the era of dair as "air taunt."

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
I haven't been throwing any more dairs out than usual, but I'm landing more of them. I think it is a subtle thing that may have ended the era of dair as "air taunt."
I personally wouldn't call it a taunt, I refer to it as a disrespect move like ganons up tilt, or luigi's down taunt to sour spot super jump punch, or pk flash but to a lesser degree so it is not as disrespectful.

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
Does anyone know if back air was changed, more importantly, the hitbox properties?? I've been playing online recently with another Ness player and found that it kinda felt like we were hitting more sour spots with bair than before, but then again it could just be placebo.

PsiPeter

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure his forward dash attack was changed. The launch seems to be changed making opponents launch drastically vertical even at low percentages where as pre-tourney update would launch opponents low and horizontally. Any confirmation if this is true? I've mained Ness since I got the Wii U version and I'm bound to notice a change like this.

Top Bottom