• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nerves.. even when playing fg?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Note: if this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry.

So I played all smash games previously casually, you know, items, jank stages, etc. Because of this, my skill level...is well.. lacking. I would say I'm a high, low level player, if that makes sense. I still get hit by attacks I shouldn't be mainly because I'm a very impatient player.

Now then, offline against cpu's I can do just fine for my skill level (convincingly beat lvl 8 and 9 cpus). I land combos with my characters, tech well, etc. However, as soon as I get on FG or any online mode, and I know I'm facing a real person, I get really nervous, and my skill level drops drastically.

I know you'll say I just need to keep playing, and the nerves will go away eventually, but the problem with that, is that I get really salty when I keep losing in a row. Especially when I get someone who is really good (high-mid level), and I barely get a hit in, I just rage quit.

So what do I do? Just practice on cpus..? Or push through the nerves and rage, and hope it will go away..?

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Hate to say it, but time is really the only answer. I got serious nerves playing FG when I first started after the 3DS release, but had gotten over it after 2-3 weeks. As for getting salty with loss, it's kind of a lame answer I know, but you've got to accept that some people are just going to beat you. The less you care about winning, you'll find the more you do win and you won't get angry about losing.

great_navi

Smash Rookie
I totally feel you. I literally just made a post talking about this too you should check it out so you don't feel alone. I can give you my friend code if you wanna practice with me and maybe get a feel for online play

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Honestly, the mindset you're in sounds a lot like me when I started playing FG, and I wouldn't let it get to you. I find that 9 times out of 10, it's just some form of excitement rather than real nerves, and that focusing on your tactics and playing generally more patiently will also affect your mindset in a positive way, too.

I'm kind of a casual, but definitely a fighting game enthusiast, so my skill level is probably higher than the average player's by a little. Though, it doesn't show in my average games, because I'm usually more focused on the excitement of the game than the actual competition, which causes me to slip up quite drastically. I don't mind that at all personally, but I can see how some people would prefer to be able to enjoy the game as well as not making mistakes due to all the excitement.

The way I see it is that there's two parts to a fighting game that excite a player - the action, and the tactics - and that chosing when to give in to the hype of the action, and learning when to calm down and use your tactical side is a huge part of the mindgames the game deals with.

My best advice would honestly be to - again - try and focus more on your tactics so you're not doing anything wild or impulsive until it's safe to. You'll eventually condition yourself so that your tactical side is your default state and the excited risk taking part of you will come into play when it's right to. Slow down your gameplay and train yourself to make decisive, strong blows that require patience before you get back into your natural flow of playing. I found that helped me a lot, so I hope it will help you too!

krosswerks

Smash Rookie
I'd suggest throwing on some music to calm yourself down. It doesn't really have to be music, but anything that works personally for you that improves your focus. Getting excessively salty is a symptom that you're playing with too much pride/ego involved (I should know, I do this all the time when playing in-person with my friends so FG is my low-stress chill times lol), and when you're playing for the purpose of asserting your pride/ego/skill, you're not focused on what's important... which is the match. It might also help you to give yourself a specific focus goal like, "I'm going to make sure I am looking at the opponent's head the whole game." The objective itself is less important than the fact that you're giving yourself a point of focus to re-orient to whenever your mind starts to wander or the anger starts to creep in.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I know you'll say I just need to keep playing, and the nerves will go away eventually, but the problem with that, is that I get really salty when I keep losing in a row. Especially when I get someone who is really good (high-mid level), and I barely get a hit in, I just rage quit.

So what do I do? Just practice on cpus..? Or push through the nerves and rage, and hope it will go away..?
This is indeed exactly what I am going to say.

Why? Cause I've been there. I've attempted Brawls online only a few times before getting sick of it, because people are obviously not joking when they say how terrible it was. Other than that my only other Online Gaming experiences were from Mario Kart and a few others. Each time I've attempted Online Play on a game for the very first time I was always nervous mainly because I didn't feel ready.

I always thought I'd be that one Nooby player that everyone will beat with ease because my skills couldn't amount to theirs.

This is how I felt when trying Sm4sh's Online for the first time as soon as I got it. I avoided For Glory for the longest time because of it and tried to solely stick to For Fun. I was worried I wasn't the player I thought I was and would be trashed by others. My hands always shook and I felt uneasy the entire time no matter what I did. Through time however that quickly began to stop. It will go away. I promise.

You just have to get used to it and keep in mind you should be playing for fun above all else. Don't get sucked into the "I'll never be as great as these people" mindset or get too focused on winning. Games are meant to be enjoyed after all. It can be nerve racking and you'll always face a bit of nervousness at the start but you will get comfortable with it. As for getting Salty and Rage-Quitting, well...

Like I already stated: You should be playing for fun instead of focusing on winning all the time.

You're going to get a wide variety of opponents online, and there will be some who will always be better than you. There will also be some who will be one of "Those" kinds of players who will enjoy belittling you because they deem you as a horrible player. Never focus on that.

Just focus on having fun. If you can't have fun and focus on winning a lot then you're obviously not going to enjoy it.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to want, or rather try to win cause I always aim to win Online; however I don't get upset because I lost. Fun is the most important thing there is to me. Long as I can have fun it doesn't matter if I win or lose in the end, ya know? Just have fun.

Seriously, don't stress over it. If you stress and worry you aren't going to have a fun time like you should be having.

Last edited:

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
You answered your own question.

is that I get really salty when I keep losing in a row
You need to let go of your ego and accept the fact that you will lose online. You don't get nervous fighting cpus because you know you can win most of the time and you know what to expect.

because I'm a very impatient player.
Having patience is probably the second most needed skill in any fighting game aside from knowledge.

I know what you are feeling because I've experienced the same thing on Tekken (a much harder fighting game with a bigger skill range online). You need to not fixate your mind on winning, but improving. How do you improve? You learn from what you did wrong. You should save the replays when you get wrecked and rewatch them and make note of what you should and shouldn't do. Watch videos of pros who use your character, and play with people who are at/slightly above your skill level.

For further explanation, I'd advise reading the first post of this:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=127111

Top Bottom