• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some tips on edgeguarding

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
So i seem to be having a semi difficult time edgeguarding, but when i watch other people they make it look easy.
It seems every time I get close to the edge to make an attack as they recover, i either attack during their invincibility frames on the ledge, or i get hit by their up b.
To clarify, i dont really have trouble edgehogging, i can wavedash onto the edge decently, assuming i have the timing right on their recovery.
Other than experience and improving overall, do you have any tips for keeping opponents off the stage?
Just simply get into training mode and work on timings?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Do you train with the AI more then you do with human players because that had a huge affect on my edgeguarding personally. The AI is easily exploitable so using them to practice edgeguarding (even in training mode) isn't a thing I wouldn't recommend doing. In the best case-scenario you live near one or two really good players who would be willing to practice with you on a weekly basis, but just entering tournaments and asking for advice on how to get better when you win or lose is also a good way to improve.

Last edited:

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent sweetspots the ledge, there's little you can do, but try backing up abit and wait for them to get back on stage. If they use a ledge attack, they'll be wide open.

You can also try the high risk/high reward approach and jump off the stage to intercept.

EDIT: Since you use Marth, use his B special and his Down Tilt alot.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You can also try the high risk/high reward approach and jump off the stage to intercept.
I would only recommend doing this if your opponent is on their last stock because more often then not it will lead to your inevitable doom unless you are REALLY good at it.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
I would only recommend doing this if your opponent is on their last stock because more often then not it will lead to your inevitable doom unless you are REALLY good at it.
Practice makes perfect. Matchups are important to keep in mind. With Marth, I only occasionally venture offstage, since Ken comboing isn't my forte, but with characters like Snake and Ganon, I'm almost always offstage and rarely SD thanks to Snake's good recovery, and the fact that I can UAir gimp with Ganon while still facing the ledge.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Practice makes perfect. Matchups are important to keep in mind. With Marth, I only occasionally venture offstage, since Ken comboing isn't my forte, but with characters like Snake and Ganon, I'm almost always offstage and rarely SD thanks to Snake's good recovery, and the fact that I can UAir gimp with Ganon while still facing the ledge.
Oh, I only really play Marth so I guess my mind was thinking of him when I said that, sorry.

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
Do you train with the AI more then you do with human players because that had a huge affect on my edgeguarding personally. The AI is easily exploitable so using them to practice edgeguarding (even in training mode) isn't a thing I wouldn't recommend doing. In the best case-scenario you live near one or two really good players who would be willing to practice with you on a weekly basis, but just entering tournaments and asking for advice on how to get better when you win or lose is also a good way to improve.
Unfortunately im mostly stuck with bots- though i do get in practice vs people every other week or so

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
If there's one thing I've learnt about edgeguarding with Roy, it's "abuse your disjoint". Those three words should apply to Marth as well, at least in some capacity.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I think going offstage with Marth is totally worth it, and not that risky. His fair/bair can easily break through most things they can throw at you offstage, you could also reverse up b if they are in the perfect spot for it.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I am trying to improve my edgeg uarding myself and use Marth. The safe and general method is to dtilt attempts to grab ledge and intercept going above it. Depending on match up you can pick your spots to get them off stage. A well placed tipper bair will finish them and you don't gotta play the ledge game with them as many character sweet spot so well.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Tilts (and f smash) with marth are really effective with the correct timing and spacing for edgeguarding. In addition you might want to try edgehogging and tilting opposite to the stage so you fall off and do a rising bair as well. That works very well with some characters.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
So, I couldn't find anywhere else to put this, so I figured I would post it here as it's relevant.How the hell do you guard tethers? Guh.

You can just hop down onto the ledge when they are trying to tether, and that stops them right? It hasn't been working for me. I think my timings off though.

I play vs a friend who uses ZSS and I main Mario. I've taken to running and Down Special-ing off an edge so that if she tries to zip to the ledge, and she gets hit and falls, but damn Zamus zips up quick >.<

Werbenjagermanjensen

Smash Rookie
Actually no. A tether works independently of any edgeguard. Anyone with a tether can tether onto a ledge at any time, even if you are hanging onto it. Not that they're invincible much, but chars like Lucas, ZSS, etc, can just grab it if you are on the ledge. Tbh, you either have to intercept them before they get the tether off (risky, but it works) or work with what happens when they get to the ledge. If you stop them offstage, they never grab the ledge. Or if you just let them grab the ledge, then you can kinda treat them like any other character once they climb to the ledge (they're forced to either climb up of go into SpecialFall, iirc.) I'm not a Mario player, but however you edgeguard any other char (Bair, Cape, etc) you can do with tether characters. It's only that they're invincible as they grab on and for a short time afterwards (someone confirm?) so ur best bet is just to get them far enough to where they can't tether, off-stage edgeguard, etc.

/end wall of text

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
So, I couldn't find anywhere else to put this, so I figured I would post it here as it's relevant.How the hell do you guard tethers? Guh.

You can just hop down onto the ledge when they are trying to tether, and that stops them right? It hasn't been working for me. I think my timings off though.

I play vs a friend who uses ZSS and I main Mario. I've taken to running and Down Special-ing off an edge so that if she tries to zip to the ledge, and she gets hit and falls, but damn Zamus zips up quick >.<
a) Grab ledge
b) If you predict an instant Up-B, press away from the stage and put your Nair out.
c) Hope for a missed tech on a stage spike.
d) Do not fast-fall the nair.

Mario and Link have an easier time guarding tethers than most.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
a) Grab ledge
b) If you predict an instant Up-B, press away from the stage and put your Nair out.

You glorious *******.

You've just issued all of my friends who use tethers the biggest deathwish.

*Sponges information*

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
a) Grab ledge

All hail the glow cloud! You sir, are my hero!

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
I'm usually down to go off stage and gimp. Try abusing your ledge invincibility to force them to not sweet spot. If they do sweet spot go for the read on how they get up. Just don't let them waveland on for a grab or something silly.

Go watch some melee marth videos. Marth should be able to drop ledge Fair for a stage spike? I can't really remember my Marth game too well these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom