• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Well, if you hold Z, the shield pops up after the grab. In Melee, this would be an easy way to bring up the light shield.
Anyway, you might just be accidentally buffering the shield after an aerial.
Huh? No no, I mean the shield just pops up, a grab doesn't even happen.

How in the world does that happen? Buffering shields after aerials? o_o

Cero

Smash Lord
My mistake. I meant to say, accidentally buffering a shield during an aerial.
You might be pressing Z too early and thinking that you're going to immediately land into a grab after an air dodge or w/e.

I always shield grab out of habit. But, that's just me. I'm not sure if there's any cons to always shield grabbing.

If it's really bothering you, either practice more or try remedying it by either defaulting to shield grabbing or changing your control scheme.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if you get a shield when you press Z, that means that you pressed Z during the ending lag of another action. your options are either hold R and press A a bunch until you grab, or learn when your actions end, and just press Z as soon as they end.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
if you get a shield when you press Z, that means that you pressed Z during the ending lag of another action. your options are either hold R and press A a bunch until you grab, or learn when your actions end, and just press Z as soon as they end.
Yeah, you have to be really careful about this as Link because if you are trying to hookshot the edge and you do it too early, you will air-dodge and most likely suicide.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Yeah, you have to be really careful about this as Link because if you are trying to hookshot the edge and you do it too early, you will air-dodge and most likely suicide.
Link can immediately use his hookshot anywhere in an airdodge though :p

I have a question.

I've never bought a cheating device in my entire life and still feel like it's for scrubs and casual gamers but I'm thinking about buying one to unlock unlimited replays and any music in any level...

A few question...

What is the best h4x0r device to get?

Also, what's the name of the codes used to get both of those so I can look it up when I buy the h4x machine.

Anything else I should know that you think?

One last question: Do you have to input the codes each time you log on the game? Anyway to have it instant turn on everytime you play?

Cero

Smash Lord
Please click this link to learn all you need to know about installing the Homebrew channel and hacking Brawl.

In-depth Wii soft-mod tutorial ~ UPDATE JAN 28 ~ BRAWL+ GOGOGO
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199810

When you finally get everything set up, put these codes in your list and feel free to ask for any more codes you want.

Infinite Replay
Code:
040E5DE8 60000000
04953184 60000000
04953224 60000000
EDIT: I was trying to find the music modifier code and I think I did... But, it's a little complicated and I've never used it. Can someone else please provide a 100% legit code for Oddler to use and explain how to use it? Thanks.

EDIT #2 (after seeing Oddler's edit): Nope. You don't have to input the codes every time you turn on the game. Just click the link and you'll realize just how easy modifying your game really is.

Schneeeulen

Smash Rookie
Hi! Can someone help me out?

I've been playing Melee and Brawl for awhile now, but I've only recently started hearing the term "decay." Can someone explain this detail better to me? I'm kind of in the dark ^^;

jaaboy

Smash Cadet
How does one "C-stick down to initiate dash attack"? Ive noticed several entries in the AT compendium that list this at a method of execution. This is a sample entry. thanks

- Boosting Technique: Smash-Boosting (a.k.a. Snake Dashing, etc)
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack, then do an up-smash during the beginning of the dash attack animation. Timing differs for each character.
Various Methods: C-stick down to initiate dash attack, then Up+Z to do the up-smash; C-stick down, C-stick up; A-button, C-stick up.
Effect: Character slides an absurd distance while simultaneously performing an Up-smash. Up-smash can be charged. Distance traveled varies by character, but is more pronounced than the Jump-Canceled Up-Smash. Can be done with anybody, but the following characters benefit most from this: Jigglypuff, Sheik, Link, Wario, Snake, Falco and Wolf

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you use a [url=yourlinkhere.com]click here[/url]

if you're ever unsure how someone does something, just quote it and see how they did it.

Brawlplaya

Smash Rookie
While in gameplay, there is moments when I can link two attacks back to back, faster than usual. I think it may be called buffering, but I'm not sure if it is. I'm in the midist of learning the AT's. If someone knows what it is I'm talking about, then please give an explanation and how to do it. Thanks.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
While in gameplay, there is moments when I can link two attacks back to back, faster than usual. I think it may be called buffering, but I'm not sure if it is. I'm in the midist of learning the AT's. If someone knows what it is I'm talking about, then please give an explanation and how to do it. Thanks.
Are they both ground attacks? If so you could be thinking of IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames. Basically, some attacks (like Ganon's upsmash, Lucario's fsmash) can be interrupted with another attack.

Brawlplaya

Smash Rookie
Its a combination of Fair and fsmash as soon as the character hits the ground, can already be in the fsmash animation. I seem to get that result best out of Fox, where he could do his Foxcopter and when he lands can do his fsmash either direction just as he has contact with the platform/surface. I'm not exactly sure if every character is capable of it, but I've just been doing it and would like to try and master it, assuming that it is a time based situation.

Basically, I do the Foxcopter and when I land, I'm already fsmashing in the selected direction. I appreciate the help.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Its a combination of Fair and fsmash as soon as the character hits the ground, can already be in the fsmash animation. I seem to get that result best out of Fox, where he could do his Foxcopter and when he lands can do his fsmash either direction just as he has contact with the platform/surface. I'm not exactly sure if every character is capable of it, but I've just been doing it and would like to try and master it, assuming that it is a time based situation.

Basically, I do the Foxcopter and when I land, I'm already fsmashing in the selected direction. I appreciate the help.
That's just buffering. I believe the way it works is if you input a command when you cannot perform it, it will repeat that command for 1/16th of a second (IIRC). If you can perform the action at any point during that 1/16th of a second, it will do it. So since Fox's fair has almost no landing lag (none if you hover with it), you can buffer a fsmash by the time you hit the ground.

Brawlplaya

Smash Rookie
ah, that answer it then. I suppose only a handful of characters can do that, or is it most of them with a few exceptions?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
ah, that answer it then. I suppose only a handful of characters can do that, or is it most of them with a few exceptions?
Well any character can buffer any attack, but some character's have too much lag after an attack to buffer a 2nd action immediately after. So buffering won't always seem instant like it does with much of Fox's stuff (try dair->dsmash :p).

Brawlplaya

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I was reading on the in-depth Buffering guide by a user(can't recall username). Got ya, I've been practicing for a few hours now. I just need to learn and get the AT's set in stone yet, didn't learn about AT's until like a month ago. Although the only competition I get is fighting Lv.9 CPU's all day, and the occassional fight of my friends when I go over to their place. I'm the best out of the four of us, but I won't consider myself a pro by a longshot. I've done some wild things before without realizing how, but I'm trying to investigate and learn what I can. I'll try to think of any other questions.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was reading on the in-depth Buffering guide by a user(can't recall username). Got ya, I've been practicing for a few hours now. I just need to learn and get the AT's set in stone yet, didn't learn about AT's until like a month ago. Although the only competition I get is fighting Lv.9 CPU's all day, and the occassional fight of my friends when I go over to their place. I'm the best out of the four of us, but I won't consider myself a pro by a longshot. I've done some wild things before without realizing how, but I'm trying to investigate and learn what I can. I'll try to think of any other questions.
You probably want to practice with level 3-4 CPUs. Well, certainly not level 9s. It's hard to practice techniques against an opponent who has perfect reflexes and will dodge everything :laugh:

Brawlplaya

Smash Rookie
Yeah.....maybe that might be the reason I can't seem to do anything. I might try that way and see how it turns out.

Oh, does Fox have Smash Boosting or does the Jump-cancelled Up-smash make up for that since he has real good pivot and slide?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah.....maybe that might be the reason I can't seem to do anything. I might try that way and see how it turns out.

Oh, does Fox have Smash Boosting or does the Jump-cancelled Up-smash make up for that since he has real good pivot and slide?
His hyphen smash (dash upsmash) is really good on its own since his dash has a good amount of slide to it.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I don't feel like scrolling through 80 pages of text. Which glide is the best at recovery? Meta Knight's normal glide, his Shuttle Loop glide, Pit's glide, or Charizards glide? Why is it the best? Is it because of its speed or lack of speed, or how easy it is to control? I'm fairly certain that Meta's normal glide is the best due to how quickly it gets you back on stage, but then again it is harder to control then the Shuttle Loop glide.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I don't feel like scrolling through 80 pages of text. Which glide is the best at recovery? Meta Knight's normal glide, his Shuttle Loop glide, Pit's glide, or Charizards glide? Why is it the best? Is it because of its speed or lack of speed, or how easy it is to control? I'm fairly certain that Meta's normal glide is the best due to how quickly it gets you back on stage, but then again it is harder to control then the Shuttle Loop glide.

I would say in terms of best to worst it would be

MK
Pit
Charizard.

In terms of Glide Attack

Pit
MK
Charizard.

I am fairly sure MK's glides are the same.

IDK about best, I would say MK uses his the most because it is attached to SL rather than being great on its own merit. Pits Glide Attack is strong and has no landing lag, a good combination..

Charizard might need his to recover sometimes, I don't know much about charizard actually.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
From my experiance SL glide is slower than normal glide. SL is also a tad easier to control, most likely because that is the one you will use the most.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
play whatever character you want. If you're a noob, it doesn't matter who you play. As you play more, you'll start liking some characters more than others, and you'll switch to them.

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman
Noob question i guess

What are frame data?

Btw i search at the General brawl section for the Question thread. And didn't saw one. So i decide to go here.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Noob question i guess

What are frame data?

Btw i search at the General brawl section for the Question thread. And didn't saw one. So i decide to go here.
Frames = 1/60th of a second. Brawl runs at 60 frames per second (fps). This is how we measure duration in Smash, whether it be moves, shield, or motion in general.

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ yep. To add to that, "frame data" is usually collected on a per-character basis; we want to know for each move, exactly how many frames does it take to complete, on which frames does the hitbox become active, etc.

Gao~

Smash Cadet
ok i have an ordeal, my falco isn't like it used to be i used to be the best! but i have lost all of my shine, actually to make this shorter, my friends know my falco inside and out, i still manage to rack a win here and there but i struggle....like ALOT! i have read many many threads of how to have variety and such but to make it simple, who do i practice against? my friends are either to scared or too "good" to play against me and i still think its just so i won't learn and get a hold of their game. also, i only main him, i would like to know a secondary main which i can stick with my whole life....(EXCEPT METAKNIGHT HE IS DEAD TO ME)

P.S. some one good against a spammy and annoying as hell zelda that camps using dins fire and virtually impossible to make a decent approach against, thanks you all for hearing me out!

Tamoo

Smash Master
P.S. some one good against a spammy and annoying as hell zelda that camps using dins fire and virtually impossible to make a decent approach against, thanks you all for hearing me out!
Sumthing i like to do against this is to use luigi, and as soon as i see the dins fire come out, i short hop and nair, which has more priority and stays out long so the opponenet will quickly learn that dins fire wont work anymore.
Meh, do what you want, if falco isnt working for you, just chop and change, thats what i did when i hit a dead end with olimar and now ive picked up 3 new characters that i have managed to bring out and do well with in tournament play. Picking up a new character will freshen up your matches with your opponents which will hopefully give you the edge again.

Edit: lol, i used to be that kind of Zelda, and I won the majority of my matches with my friends using spammy methods. Dont worry, they managed to find a way to beat me so u will be able to do it aswell, it will just take practice. And eventually, ur spammy friend will realise, like i did that doing that is not gonna win any matches and you will both benefit from the experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom