• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Music Suggestions

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=3548]Need Music Suggestions[/drupal]

Seriously, anything but country. My music situation is desperate at the moment

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever listened to 60's and 70's Rock by artists like The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, and Johnny Rivers? They did the job right, i can tell you that much.

If that IS what you're asking. If not, i'll just start lurking again.

Geist

Smash Master
Queensryche, Dream Theater, Aesop Rock, The Who, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age

Have you ever listened to 60's and 70's Rock by artists like The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, and Johnny Rivers? They did the job right, i can tell you that much.
this.
Queen

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
If you have seen the anime souleater the have very good songs (Mostly) especially the opening but not exclusively.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Try Hospice by The Antlers. It's probably my favorite album.

All of the songs, like The Wall by Pink Floyd, are connected and tell a story about a guy who works in a hospice and meets a girl.

I'll recommend more when I get on my laptop instead of my iPod, but Hospice is just a knee-jerk recommendation.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Well, what be your tastes in music?

Lately, I've been listening to Passion Pit, Go Getter Greg by Ludo (I def recommend this because it's hilariously creepy), Kid Cudi, Tegan and Sara, and the Gorillaz.
All are good artists with catchy songs.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
"anything but country"

"yea i love listening to all music except country"

"meh, i dont mind as long as its not country"

Shakira imo.

wrkngclsshr

Smash Rookie
Lately, I've been listening to Passion Pit, Go Getter Greg by Ludo (I def recommend this because it's hilariously creepy), Kid Cudi, Tegan and Sara, and the Gorillaz.
All are good artists with catchy songs.
Dude, you're awful... I love you.

Anyways, as of late I've been spinning:

Adventures of Bobby Ray - B.o.B.
Warning - Green Day
So Jealous - Tegan and Sara
My Dinosaur Life - Motion City Soundtrack
Daisy - Brand New
MAYA - M.I.A.

Beware: The last two are VERY experimental and Warning by Green Day sounds nothing like their other albums.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Dude, you're awful... I love you.

Anyways, as of late I've been spinning:

Adventures of Bobby Ray - B.o.B.
Warning - Green Day
So Jealous - Tegan and Sara
My Dinosaur Life - Motion City Soundtrack
Daisy - Brand New
MAYA - M.I.A.

Beware: The last two are VERY experimental and Warning by Green Day sounds nothing like their other albums.
Why thank you :'D
Let's be friends. Srsly. Gud musics.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Alright well

Gorillaz is my favorite band and I heavily recommend anything by them. I'd start by listening to the album Demon Days if you're new to them. Then Gorillaz, then Plastic Beach. G and D sides are really weird, but great as well.

Incubus. Oh my god Incubus. Listen to the album Make Yourself first, then everything else by them. It's all amazing. Aqueous Transmission is one of my top three songs.

Deftones. Listen to the album White Pony. The best songs there are Knife Party, Digital Bath, Feiticeira, PASSENGER, all of them to be honest. They're other albums sound very different for this one (more screamy) but if you're into that then great.

Um...IAMX. Check out the album The Alternative first, then all their other stuff.

If you like any of this, I'll suggest more.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Daft Punk- Aerodynamic, Voyager, One More Time, Harder Better Faster Stronger
Ratatat- Wildcat, Nostrand, Loud Pipes
The Faint- The Geeks Were Right, I Dissapear
Ronald Jenkees- Stay Crunchy, Guitar Sound

These are artists that have pioneered almost a new style of music that has it's roots in hip hop and techo, but is more refined and musically valuable. Youtube them. I've provided examples of some of my favorite songs by each of them.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming! I'm checking some of this out right now. I especially appreciate it when people suggest certain albums or songs as a starting point.

I'm really just looking for anything, I have extremely varied musical tastes. For example, here's a sampling of 3 songs that are in my recently added folder in my itunes so you guys can get a feel for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5Miz21Dos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMS3gqc7eRs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-7MP2rS0oI

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
But if you aren't into techno
Techno is not a catch-all term for electronic dance music, thank you. How can you mention hardstyle and then say that? -.-

Anyway, I was going to mention electronic music before you said that you liked it, OP, so without further adieu:

Neelix: Specifically, Neelix is prog psytrance, but I know them personally as the best EDM I've heard in a very long time. It's solid work, with intricacy that I rarely see in dance music. You're Under Control is a great album; if you want specific tracks, check out Disco Decay (the original from said album, not either of the remixes by Felguk or Neelix himself; though the song in all three iterations is impressive, the original gives the best impression of his work). Here is a YouTube link if you'd like.

E. S. Posthumus: Modern cinematic classical music. If that sounds epic, trust me, it is. These guys put other artists to shame. Makara (their latest release) is a beast of an album; a stunning display of power and beauty, and amazing compositional skills from the group. You might recognize their music from movie trailers (specifically the track 'Unstoppable'), but it amounts to far more than that.

Fever Ray is the solo work of Karin Dreijer Andersson from The Knife, and it's a very popular album around the world, but I feel the need to mention it just in case you haven't heard it. It's an astonishing album; its cryptic atmosphere of melancholy, of childhood fascination and loneliness is almost too much for me to describe. I'll just say on my first listen I lost myself entirely in it; entranced from the beginning until well after the final song of the album ended. If you can appreciate atmosphere in any way, definitely give it a listen.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Dude I love E.S. Posthumus, I only had unearthed and cartographer though, definitely checking their new one out, as well as the others you suggested

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
in particular i like a lot of underground hip hop and electronic music, but i didn't want to limit suggestions to that
OH! :)

J Dilla
Nujabes
DJ Premier
Wu-Tang Clan
Raekwon
Method Man
Ghostface Killah
GZA the Genius
Nas
DMX
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Common
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
2Pac
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rakim
Immortal Technique
Fat Boys
Gift of Gab
KRS-One
Ras Kass
Mobb Deep
Queen Latifah
Jean Grae
The Roots
Strong Arm Steady
Papoose
Keith Murray
The Pharcyde
Reflection Eternal
OutKast
Nefertiti
Naughty by Nature
Melle Mel
Grandmaster Flash
Crown City Rockers
Hieroglyphs
Atmosphere
OutKast
Gang Starr
Jedi Mind Tricks
Lupe Fiasco
Jeru the Damaja
Azeem
Del tha Funkee Homosapien
J-Live
The Fugees
LL Cool J
Jurassic 5
Q-Tip
The Roots
Mobb Deep
Ice-T
Nefertiti
NWA
Guru
Ice Cube
Big Punisher
Blak Madeen
Basic Vocab
Slaughterhouse
Murs
CYNE
Cormega
Little Brother
Souls of Mischief
Shad
Wildchild
MF Doom
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Jay-Z (old stuff.)
Aesop Rock
Common Market
Dynas
Thaione Davis
Krumb Snatcha
Big Tone
Termanology
Modill
Insight
Skyzoo
YU
Oddisee
The Coup
MF Grimm
MC Lyte
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth (the album they did AS A GROUP was a classic)
Black Star
Strong Arm Steady
Jean Grae (big shout out to her. one of my favorite artists)
Sol Uprising
Eminem (first 3 albums)
from my blog: Real Hip Hop, Not That Pop Crap

anytime.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
As far as hip hop goes, the Green Ghost Project is a great collab and Blacastan has released some solid stuff. You've likely heard all that if you follow hip hop, though.

@Cookiemonster: Does 'Eminem's first three albums' include his '96 debut LP Infinite? :p

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
As far as hip hop goes, the Green Ghost Project is a great collab and Blacastan has released some solid stuff. You've likely heard all that if you follow hip hop, though.

@Cookiemonster: Does 'Eminem's first three albums' include his '96 debut LP Infinite? :p
w/e it includes everything before encore. yeah ssep too

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Some of my favourite albums, and favourite songs from each. :3c

Underload

Lazy
Personal recommendations:

Artist - (My favorite album(s) by them)

The Mountain Goats - (Tallahassee)
Beach House - (Teen Dream)
The Doors - (Morrison Hotel, The Doors)
Jens Lekman - (Night Falls Over Kortedala)
Mayer Hawthorne - (A Strange Arrangement)
Miike Snow - (Miike Snow)
Radiohead - (OK Computer)
of Montreal - (Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?, The Sunlandic Twins)
Driftless Pony Club - (Expert)
Grizzly Bear - (Veckatimest)

Top Bottom