• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help with the samus MU

Signdog

Smash Rookie
have a decent samus in my area, he places top 5 in our usually weeklies and iv met him in bracket numerous times, and out of every bracket match and friendly iv only ever been able to take one game. so my questions are:

what are the odds? something like 70-30?

whats the best way to deal with samus?

how do you deal with getting spaced out by missiles?

how do you ed guard? when ever i go to yo-yo edge guard he drops then jump fairs me because samus's arm is long enough to stick through the stage?

best way to deal with the missile wall?

should i just pick up another character to deal with samus?

how do you keep within rang of samus after getting your 2 hits in and still be a threat with out giving them enough space to start missile-ing again. - i cant really find that sweet spot were i'm just out of range but not enough to warrant missiles

any help would be greatly appreciated

Boiko

:drshrug:
I'm on mobile so I'll post more tomorrow. This is a very hard MU for Ness. One of his hardest IMO. I actually play Samus against most Ness players in tournament over the ditto be a use it's so easy for Samus. As Ness you need to hit and run. Get your two or three hits in and reset the situation. Camp a zone where she can't safely throw out missiles without having you in her face. You can Nair right through them. Don't try and edge guard with yo yo. When she's far, harass with projectiles, force her to come lower than the ledge.

Last edited:

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
Don't try to combo her for too long or you'll get a nooch to the face (nair will smack you silly.)
Don't try to continue battling away her projectiles or you'll eat a plasma whip to the face (her zair is pretty fast and lengthy. You can do it occasionally, but not all the time.)

If anything, I'd just use PK Thunder to continue racking up percent when she's off stage until she's at kill percent and start to fish for bairs or bthrows that lead into more PK Thunders. This is a battle of patience and SHEER WILL POWER. HWAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. (Also you can camp the platforms and chuck pk fires to intercept missiles if you want to.)

Signdog

Smash Rookie
i think my problem is that i play a very aggressive ness, so ill have to work on that, throwing pk thunder at him when hes off stage is a good idea, ill try that next time, and ill try and play more defensively.

when she is lower than the stage and her only option of recovery is up-b can i d-air her out of her up-b? or will the up-b hitbox take priority over my d-air?

is batting away projectiles ever a good idea?

how do you deal with the heat seeking missiles when your off stage?

@ Akhenderson Akhenderson
@ Boiko Boiko

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
If you hit her hurtbox with dair after her invuln frames on her up b, she will get hit but a majority of Samus players will opt for a tether rather than an up b simply because it's faster. You can punish this by staying on ledge until she jumps and then you can punish her get up with a ledge jump double jump canceled dair.

Batting away her projectiles is good but only for a little bit because she can punish your attempts with a zair and you'd get hit by a missile anyways.

When you're offstage against Samus, it's imperative that you know how to sweet spot from pretty much any angle. You should be able to destroy one missile with the tackle, but after that, other missiles should be able to hit you out of it. If you're below the ledge, you're probably going to die so just try your best when recoverying from down below.

Boiko

:drshrug:
It's just a battle of attrition. You need to get your one or two hits and get out, reset the situation. When you get grabs, you should be throwing for stage positioning, not for a combo. What makes it difficult is that Samus is better at keeping you out and then securing a kill. Going high isn't a bad option when you're recovering since Samus doesn't have many tools for hitting above her, especially when platforms are involved. If you're coming from below the ledge she's either going to up tilt (she'll be staying on stage), or she'll invincible nair (she'll be on ledge). The former, SDI into the stage and tech (difficult, because of how far it reaches). The latter, DI up so you can recover high. Either way, once you're off stage, she's going to harass you with missiles. It's just tough.

Signdog

Smash Rookie
thanks for the help, im going to try and get my next match with him recorded so i can share it here and get some more help

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Samus tends to get played in a campy sort of way, so you want to make use of that. Don't try to combo her too hard, as she is relatively floaty, and when she switches to Ice Beam mode you're going to definitely want to watch out.

Top Bottom