• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with the Ken Combo

AirFair

Marth tho
I have been slowly learning a lot of the things you can do with marth. I can wavedash and f-smash, I can dashdance and pivot grab ( doesn't always work lol ) and I can L cancel pretty well (90% of my moves). I've gotten better since starting. Now I want to attempt the famous ken combo. I know that it's a jump and then fair, then you use your second jump and dair. When I attempt it, I usually end up hitting my opponent away from me or above me, and it doesn't work out. What are some things I can use to get it right?

Oasis

Smash Rookie
It's really just a matter of practice. Landing a few Ken Combos during friendlies will help with the spacing and where the sweetspot on the dair is. Don't rush it, when you hit the opponent away or above, I think you're too early because you hit them with the middle of the sword and not the tipper (the only part the spikes). The pros make it look easy, but it's just something that takes practice.

Genuine218

Smash Rookie
Try practicing on a jumping comp in training mode, on FD. Maybe around 40-75%? That helped me a lot.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Practice on computers of various charters weights. I personally have a hard time Ken comboing spacies. Floaties it is a joke. In real matches it is totally DI dependent but practicing like this helps me know when it should work and have confidence to go for it.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Being able to Ken combo is completely DI dependent. If your opponent recognizes that you're going for it, you can just DI the the fair away and then you won't be able to follow up with a dair.

It's easier to get the combo if you tipper the fair against fast fallers. Or if you use the sourspot of the fair and they DI in and towards the stage. I'm not 100% sure about the possibility of Ken comboing if they just don't DI

Against floatier chars, you can combo them even if they don't DI. But it's still impossible if they DI the fair away. Basically, don't fish for it all the time. Use mixups so that they'll DI toward the stage thinking that you'll do another fair or something.

tl;dr you get Ken combos when they try to survival DI (up and toward the stage). You don't get Ken combos when they combo DI (down and away from the stage).

Million

Smash Rookie
Id say the best way to learn the utility of your dairs is first learning the spacing off of the CPU mewtwo

He is arguably the easiest CPU to dair consistently.
You should grind this until you have the spacing down perfectly.
Then start trying other easier setups into dair.

a few combos I do are

platform stage uptilt(when hes on platform.) double jump, then reverse dair.
or when he float recovers back onstage do a short hop dair close to ledge.
his float recover and any floaties in general make learning the dair hitbox really simply

Once you have those standard combos youll understand the Tipper of
the dair extremely well.
Then obviously practice the regular ken combo
and then find real people to go and attempt to hit dumpsters on because now you just have to account for DI

hope that helps <3 XD

-Million

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You want to hit them with the weak part of the fair, then, on reaction, you need to determine whether to fastfall or not, and if so, when, when do dair, and how to space the dair. It all depends on their position in relation to yours, and their DI off the fair.

If they DI the fair too high, dj to reverse up-B is generally the best option to finish the combo.

You can also reverse ken combo (bair to dair) in some matchups, slightly more situational though.

Last edited:

Toe

Smash Apprentice
Learning the Ken combo just takes plenty of time and practice. The combo won't always work the same way, once they are hit by the fair you have to see where your opponent goes and respond accordingly. Also, the dair needs to hit with a specific part of his sword otherwise it won't spike the opponent. Practicing against cpus is your best bet for now.

Symba

Smash Rookie
Best way to get the ken combo is to not try to lol.I Just keep the combo going. I have even done nair to dair. just depends on the DI and spacing.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I've started to hit some ken combos a little more so I want to say thanks for all of your suggestions thus far!
hoping to be the next ken lol

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I have been slowly learning a lot of the things you can do with marth. I can wavedash and f-smash, I can dashdance and pivot grab ( doesn't always work lol ) and I can L cancel pretty well (90% of my moves). I've gotten better since starting. Now I want to attempt the famous ken combo. I know that it's a jump and then fair, then you use your second jump and dair. When I attempt it, I usually end up hitting my opponent away from me or above me, and it doesn't work out. What are some things I can use to get it right?
It's really just practice. I usually practice it on some casual friends. On another note, we joined on the same day!

Top Bottom