• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with my Lucas

Crono984

Smash Rookie
NNID
AshonYusef
Hi Im a Ness/Lucas main and im still new to competitive smash. I am starting to win more now i used to get 2stocked all the time. I was just wondering if someone could watch these two matches from earlier today and could see if there is anything i could start doing that would help me improve and stuff i need to stop doing.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
0:04 - Don't FH Zair, use Fair or PKF.
0:08 - Don't use Jab, Fsmash will instantly reflect the hydrant, while a vertical attack sends it up to help with stage control.
0:19 - Avoid wasting out your ledge invincibility.
0:22 - Try to always SH PKF, as it's much safer.
0:25 - While you didn't get punished for it, try to avoid bad options like Dsmash - 17% isn't that much, it doesn't kill at that % and it's laggy.
0:41 - That Usmash was pretty smart, but it also would've put you in a really bad position if the Pac-Man airdodged correctly. A pivot grab would eat right through the airdodge and you'd get followups and an edgeguard.
0:46 - That's just a case of guessing wrong, but Nair or even Bair would've been slightly better.
1:03 - Don't approach with falling Nair, the initial hitboxes have barely any hitstun and you could've gotten Usmashed, if not shieldgrabbed. Instead, space a Zair or Fair.
1:31 - Not sure if this was a mistake but when doing a PKT edgeguard always be ready to bring it back into yourself should the opponent get up on the ledge safely.
1:41 - Avoid landing with airdodges, you could double jump or land with Fair/Zair.
0:09 - That grab netted you about 15% - 6% from the throw and 9% from sourspot Fair. It also put you in a position to be hit by Nair. You could've started a SH Nair chain (not reliable but lots of damage) or FH Nair comboes (about 30%).
0:30 - This is the reason you do SH PKF :/
0:38 - Try spacing your Dash Attacks as best as you can to avoid stuff like Up-B OoS.
0:49 - Dash grab isn't really the best choice unless you were reading a roll. If you wanted to grab just do a standing grab.
1:29 - That grab was really dangerous at that %.
1:55 - I think a Zair would've gotten the ledge.
2:55 - That was really nice.
I think you have a sound Lucas. Your tech skill has some room to improve but the best thing for you imo is to just get better as a competitive player.

Crono984

Smash Rookie
NNID
AshonYusef
thanks I will try my best to work on all of that. i really need to get used to using zair in general

Step

Smash Rookie
The only thing I would advise is to try and be a little safer with your PK:Fire. In the second match you had a few that were a bit dangerous/punishable. Also, I would strongly advise learning to B-stick with Lucas. It makes his retreating B-sticked PK:Fire essentially unpunishable. Here is a video for reference/tutorial: https://youtu.be/Vw1elkJwtDo?t=240

Crono984

Smash Rookie
NNID
AshonYusef
thanks i try that out. is there any high level lucas player i can watch i dont really know of any besides pink fresh and nakat and they dont even really use lucas in tournaments too often either.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Pacman is a good matchup to use as an example. It's one of those weird mus that relies a lot on how much you know about how much about his shenanigans. A few notes:

- Aerials ping with hydrant. You can nair right through the hydrant drop, just don't do it too often or you'll probably eat a BF.

- Whenever pac starts his upb too low for the second bounce to make it to the ledge, he should lose a stock. Take away his third bounce by jumping on the trampoline yourself. Magnet stalling might make this easier.

-If you can catch his bonus fruit he can't get another one. At that point you can pretty much pkfire away until he is forced to approach (generally a loosing situation for pac) and you decide to throw/zdrop it.

-If you do zdrop the fruit you can pick it up again. If you throw it it's gone.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
B-sticking Lucas in Smash 4 comes down to personal choice imo.
Don't do it if you need the instant smashes/tilts.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
thanks i try that out. is there any high level lucas player i can watch i dont really know of any besides pink fresh and nakat and they dont even really use lucas in tournaments too often either.
Unfortunately I have these problems too. But don't worry because we have a guide on smashboards for Lucas and many advanced techs and combos for him. Learn all those and you will be the person people go to when they wanna see a good lucas. Also I wouldn't mind sparring with you to help you a bit.
NNID: Lochinator

Last edited:

Crono984

Smash Rookie
NNID
AshonYusef
B-sticking Lucas in Smash 4 comes down to personal choice imo.
Don't do it if you need the instant smashes/tilts.
i tried B-sticking it did help my spacing out a lot but i couldnt get my smashes off fast enough.

Unfortunately I have these problems too. But don't worry because we have a guide on smashboards for Lucas and many advanced techs and combos for him. Learn all those and you will be the person people go to when they wanna see a good lucas. Also I wouldn't mind sparring with you to help you a bit.
NNID: Lochinator
im down to spar anytime just message me when you want to my NNID is AshonYusef

Last edited:

Crono984

Smash Rookie
NNID
AshonYusef
Ah, I can see how that could be an issue. Personally, I've never made use of the C-stick for anything, so B-sticking gave it a purpose for me ^_^
i like it but it hurts my playstyle more than it helps. im going to try and learn the other way to wavebounce

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
i like it but it hurts my playstyle more than it helps. im going to try and learn the other way to wavebounce
Learn to smash using A+B. Being able to consistantly wavebounce your PK-fire is way to important.
I throw around the 40 to 50 wavebounced PK-fire a match and honestly doing it the legit way is way to tiresome. The only downside is that with the C-stick 0 to death combo's are easier.

Crono984

Smash Rookie
NNID
AshonYusef
Learn to smash using A+B. Being able to consistantly wavebounce your PK-fire is way to important.
I throw around the 40 to 50 wavebounced PK-fire a match and honestly doing it the legit way is way to tiresome. The only downside is that with the C-stick 0 to death combo's are easier.
alright i will try that out tonight. what 0 to death combos does lucas have? i dont use the c-stick at all for ness's 0 to death combos. i only use the c-stick for quick smashes

Top Bottom