• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with CSS and SSS

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
So, to begin, I made this account to post this exact question, as I can't seem to find an answer/person with similar problem. None of my friends have really played Project M, so I thought I would come here for explanations. I have downloaded multiple mods for Project M (is that what they're called?). The list of mods: PMPE, Smash 3 HUD, Moisture Pack (Music), and a custom STGRESULT file. Now to explain. When I downloaded PMPE, I only wanted the CSS and the custom skins. To do this, to my understanding, I simply had to copy over the "fighters" file, and the "system" file. Also to note, I had the hackless version of Project M pre-installed on the SD card I was using. The rest of the mods work, but the CSS and SSS are a bit strange. The SSS is still showing stages that are in PMPE's SSS, and the CSS's lower section isn't even responsive! I can't select these characters: Mewtwo, Lucario, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Lucas, Ness, Pit, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Ike, Marth, and Roy. None of the selections for these characters work. But the characters themselves do work, as I have chosen random many a time and become those characters. If anybody could specify what I'm doing wrong or how to fix my problem, that'd be fantastic.

Secondly, there is one more mod I would like to install: Subspace Emissary Stage. I'm sure some of you have heard of it/installed it. If not, you could easily find it in the top viewed modifications. It's on the first page. If I could explanation on how to install this as well, it would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Edit: Also, for whatever reason, I forgot to mention another problem. Custom skins logos/faces don't appear next to their stock ingame like they should. Is this because of the Smash 3 HUD? Is there a way for me to fix it?

Edit 2: I found a solution to the previous edit (not using the Smash 3 HUD), but is there a way to keep the stock icons? Or do I have to use the heart stock icons in PMPE?

Edit 3: Fixed the problem stated in the first edit.

TL;DR Version: I need to know if the SSS and CSS are separate files, and if so, is it possible to download a CSS from one pack, but have a SSS from another? Also, my CSS's lower portion of the roster is unresponsive and cannot be selected. If anybody can tell me how to install the "Subspace Emissary Stage" as well, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The CSS and SSS can only be modified by Gecko codes. The US version codes are here. I'm assuming Patt's mod of PM has the necessary codes in its GCT file, so if you copy the RSBE01.gct file from the /codes/ folder, the CSS and SSS should work.

As for the stage, I'm not sure if I found the same one as you - is it this one? This one offers you a choice of stage to replace - Melee Big Blue, Melee Brinstar, Summit, Shadow Moses Island, Frigate Orpheon, and Pictochat. Copy the chosen st____.rel file to the /module/ folder. You then need to pick which one of the STGSUBSPACE.pac files you want, and rename it to whichever of those stages you want to replace:
  • STGDXBIGBLUE.PAC for Big Blue
  • STGDXZEBES.PAC for Brinstar
  • STGICE.PAC for Summit
  • STGMETALGEAR_00.PAC, STGMETALGEAR_01.PAC, and STGMETALGEAR_02.PAC for Shadow Moses Island (make three copies)
  • STGORPHEON.PAC for Frigate Orpheon
  • STGPICTCHAT.PAC for Pictochat

The music files and SSS images are optional extras, not required for the stage to work. Where you put those depends on which stage you're replacing. You need BrawlBox to insert the images. To determine which music files you want to replace, use this list. Rename the BRSTM files as appropriate - e.g. S03.brstm would replace Theme of Tara on Shadow Moses Island.

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Thank you Moydow! That helps quite a bit!

Last edited:

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
The only problem I'm having now is the mismatched stage selection. Is there a way to change the layout of the SSS to that of default Project M?

Y-L

Smash Champion
You need to replace everything except the selchr in the common5 in the system folder with the project m default for the correct portraits and replace the stages with the default stages. However is he has expansion codes or whatever that you don't want that's in the gct.

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
When I try out Y-L's solution, I am given the regular SSS (Brawl's), but a majority of it is Hanenbow and other repeats. It's very strange. I didn't delete charselect 2 since I assumed that tied into charselect 1. I will try replacing charselect 2 now.

Edit: I've tried replacing charselect 2, and starting over uing PMPE as a base, and I still get the same result.

Last edited:

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
I may have found the issue. I haven't tried editting the Custom SSS inside the gct file yet because I don't know how. Can someone walk me through how to open the file and edit it to be like the default Project M SSS?

Y-L

Smash Champion
The stage list probably messed up because I'm guessing you DELETED parts of the common 5 instead of REPLACING.

What you should have done is downloaded brawlbox, opened vanilla project m common5, right clicked selchar and selchar2, exported, then opened the PMPE one, right clicked those and hit replace.

In all honestly though you should just start with vanilla pm and manually add all the things you want from his build. Not only is it difficult to remove those things, but you're much more likely to have issues.

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Did as you said, and now it has the project m layout, but there are way too many stages and most of them are repeats. I can only assume that this is because of all the custom stages. Which lines of code do I cut out in the GCT?

Last edited:

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Better yet, what code do I need to add/delete for PMPE's CSS to work? As in the first post, the entire lower section of it does not respond. Everything else is working.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Better yet, what code do I need to add/delete for PMPE's CSS to work? As in the first post, the entire lower section of it does not respond. Everything else is working.
The stage list should be normal if you kept his selmap in the common5 and kept his gct.

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
The stage list should be normal if you kept his selmap in the common5 and kept his gct.
I'm using PM's gct since when I use his, the stage list is all messed up. I need to know how to make the lower portion of his character select screen work. If I can get it working, all is solved.

Edit: I should go more indepth. I'm using PM's gct. I replaced the character stuff in common5 with PMPE's, as well as the fighter files. The main issue I'm having is that the gct and PMPE's character select conflict, I believe. It works, but the lower portion of the roster is unresponsive. I would imagine that this is because PMPE's gct addresses the problem while PM's doesn't. PM's is missing the code needed from PMPE's gct. I just need to know which lines specifically.

Last edited:

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Never mind. I have found the file where the CSS was gotten from. I believe I have figured it out. Will post again if it still doesn't work.

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Few more questions. Where is the background to the CSS located?
Secondly, where are the textures for the character select icons located? (The picture of the character on the actual tile)

Y-L

Smash Champion
Few more questions. Where is the background to the CSS located?
Secondly, where are the textures for the character select icons located? (The picture of the character on the actual tile)
What do you mean by CSS background
Chas select icons are in selchr of common5

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
What do you mean by CSS background
Chas select icons are in selchr of common5
The animated/static background that is shown behind the CSS. I would like to know how to change it for future reference.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The animated/static background that is shown behind the CSS. I would like to know how to change it for future reference.
I'm not sure but it's not easy. It has to be in the selchr portion of the common5 though.

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Awesome. Thanks for your help, Y-L! My problem is solved. Is there a way to lock this?

Sean6258

Smash Rookie
Will do! Also, having done a little research, I have one more question. After I have done all this, some characters only have 6 recolors when they should have 8 or something similar. How could I extend the recolor limit?

Or to reword, after doing some snooping in the common 5 file, I discovered that some character recolors/skins weren't being used by the game. How do I add them in?

Edit: Alright. So, I've added in the recolors using Mewtwo2000's cBliss tool. But to test, I used a skin that wasn't there before and was added using the tool. Upon selecting a stage, the game freezes. Any idea what causes this and how I can fix it?

Edit 2: Found the problem. Not all of the character logos and results screen stuff were in the files where they should have been. I'll keep this unlocked for people who have similar problems and for myself to go back to to view in case I forget what I did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom