• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Captain Falcon matchup

JudgedCurtis

Smash Rookie
NNID
JudgeCurtis
3DS FC
3222-6297-1845
Does anyone have any advice on how to win this match up?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I think this is a pretty hard MU for Olimar. In my opinion you just have to play much better than your opponent. Force him to approach from the air and punish his landings.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I find it a very, very hard MU. I'm always trying to improve this MU and it's quite difficult.
I do believe it has more of mind game that the actual skill level.

As an advantage for us is that you can spam your Smashes without fear of reflect. If he jumps over you, you have to position yourself very well in order to punish his landings.
For his F-B and D-B you have to shield, dodge or run to a good position in order to keep increasing his damage, even when I know this last thing is very hard to achieve.

One of the best thing to do, I think, is to push him away from the platform and try to mess up his recovery.
I have seen that they don't use U-B when they are far from the platform, so you can try to hit their coming back while he's still far away. Be careful on this anyway, it's a double edge sword, because if you can't make it they tend to use Dair and that's a very strong hit with spike.
Finally try to keep his distance with your beloved Purple Pikmin and don't hesitate on grabbing him with a Blue Pikmin over 150%, most of the time is a kill with Uthrow.
By the way, I have seen a few C.Falcon players tend to do Dsmash when you grab them on or near the edges. If you pummel constantly and they grab release, they suicide because of the Dsmash, so you may want try that too xD (I don't believe this really can happen in a competitive match).

Hope to see more advices from advanced players, because I'm not. Be wise on taking my advices and try to make it work for you ^^.

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I'm putting some work into Alph and I agree Falcon is a tricky one. He's good in the air, so you shouldn't approach him in the air. On the ground you should wait for Falcon to approach as he has to in order to wrack up damage. It's useful to throw red pikmins at him as Falcon has some fire-based moves.
Next: If Falcon approaches, he probably goes for either the dash grab or the dash attack. However there is also a chance of throwing out a SH nair. So there are actually 3 things you should definitely expect. There is also a chance of him faking out his approach with dash + back roll and then he may go for an attack or grab. So keep that in mind too. If he does fake out his approach you can throw at least one pikmin at him.

Keep your distance and don't mess with Falcon in the air. If he gets you in the air, look out for getting back on stage as fast as possible. Otherwise he will probably show you his great up-air, bair and maybe even land his knee. In order to get the kill, you have some options. You could try to gimp him when he tries to recover. You could go for the grab-upthrow kill with blue pikmins. Or you use purple pikmin to stop his approach and get an occasion for landing a smash attack. Also at some point, I don't know the exact percentage, you can even kill with the side-tilt which is a more unexpected killoption.

2k6

Smash Cadet
Grab> Pikmin Throw. Using Olimar against any fast character will give you a hard time. Just don't let him grab you because he will just combo/juggle and its a pain to stack some damage after he got you.

Last edited:

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
Only advice I can give you from playing this match up is, if you're going for a recovery, never fly straight up, stay as far away from the edge as you can while you're flying up, (if possible, fly under the map in example battlefield) and then close in on the lip only at the very end, otherwise you're spike bait for Cap.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I always try to keep a pikmin on him so he can't sideB spam. Also it's OK to camp a little he as the speed so force him to come to you then grab. Also you can get like 5or6 down tilts on a heavy like captain at 0 it's hilarious

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
I play this matchup basically every tourney as Michigan is the national Falcon state, lol. We have one PR level Falcon, a few HM worthy ones, and tons of other misc Falcons and players holding him as secondaries.
At first it was a challenging matchup but I feel like it's very simple once you figure it out.

You have no reason to ever approach Falcon. In fact, he'll usually approach you regardless of what you do, but that's beside the point. What you need to do is pressure him with pikmin toss to chip in some damage and get him to approach you. Just make sure you manage what you throw so you don't find yourself lacking pikmin when he gets close. Falcon's approach options are limited, and we vastly outrange him. Some common approaches include: Dash attack, dash grab, bair, shield. Dash attack and bair can be shielded and then punished (jab/grab), dash grab loses to a simple attack (fsmash/jab), and shield loses to, well, grab. You can also pivot grab any of his running approaches. Obviously in a real match it's not as simple as that, but my point is that his approaches are limited in easy to beat out with our range.
If the falcon likes to side b, having a pikmin latched onto him will trigger the attack and give you a free window.

Once you get the falcon offstage, it gets even easier. If he's forced to up b to the ledge, his recovery is super easy to gimp while keeping stage control. Every character has a very small window (one frame or something) as they're grabbing ledge where they're vulnerable to attack. The two moves for hitting this window are dtilt and dsmash. Dtilt can lead into another attack (fair, though not always guaranteed) and hit him offstage once more, racking on bonus damage, while dsmash can kill at higher percents.
If he does manage to reach the ledge, if you space yourself far enough away but where your fsmash can still reach the ledge, there isn't much he can do. Fsmash is really good at punishing most getups, and at that distance, a roll-getup will net you a dsmash.

The hardest part of this matchup is when you're offstage or trying to get back from the ledge yourself (IMO olimar's weakest point right there). You just have to know how the Falcon likes to tackle his offstage gimping game and play around it by mixing up your recovery's direction, airdodging, or throwing out an attack yourself. Never be afraid to go underneath to the other side of the stage, either.

In summary: Space him out with smashes, grabs, and pikmin tosses. Practice gimping his recovery, and always look out for gimps of his own.

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
Some good moves to use are:

D-tilt- this move will either clank against his other attacks, or net you a nice string depending on his %. Captain F. gets easily wrapped up in a stream of d-tilts due to his size and heaviness. Since he's always going to be on your ass, this is a great get off me option.

Nair- Don't go absolutely crazy with this one, but this move is one of Olimar's safest aerials on account of the fact that you have very little ending lag and can shield almost immediately. Impatient Falcons will get hit a few times if you use this as an OoS option. However if they are patient, use this move sparingly / for mix-ups.

Pivot grab- Especially with whites, this method is your friend. If you know how to space correctly, you should be netting more than a few grabs. If he starts to catch on to your patterns, acknowledge it. Fighting games are about being inside more than just your own head.

Pivot smash- Sadly, this move just clanks against Captain's dash attack. I've had times where my smash came out, but the shoulder hit me anyway and the pikmin just went flying past him as if nothing happened. If he's particularly grab happy, however, you'll beat those out.

But make no mistake, this is a tough match-up. You're always running away, but the dude runs faster than you! Good luck, friends, we all need it.

Last edited:

Cacts

Smash Rookie
Personally I think this is one of Olimar's good match ups, Captain falcon has some pretty laggy aerials besides his Nair and Upair which are hard to hit you when your on the ground. They like to approach with ground moves to get you in the air, but if you play careful enough not to get knocked up in the air, you should easily win. Try to gimp him at every chance you can, and just out space the ****** with forward smash spams and grab/pivot-grabs, also by keeping a pikmin on his ass, you take out one of his kill moves, raptor boost. I go against one of the best falcons in WI (our scene is garbage but still) and I never once lost to him. Just play more confident than the falcon player. When I play Olimar I find myself being more scared of the opponent than they are of me, but for some reason I have a lot of confidence against Falcon and I think it helps me a **** ton

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
he can be tricky at first, though he's not as hard to face as other fact characters like fox. He lacks a reflector so you can safely spam the pikmin, sometimes depending on the opponent you might be able to distract them with that while you go for a punish as they try to knock the pikmin off. It definitely turns into a game of keeping him away and predicting how hes going to approach, forward smash can be very helpful in this situation. Also yeah you really have to watch out for when youre recovering off stage, I still have problems with this so I get spiked very easily....because he's fast...but other than that this match up can be fun one for Olimar.

Top Bottom