• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help practicing shield pressure

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Some different types of Shield Pressure with Fox.
  • Bair Shine > Bair Shine
  • Nair Shine > Nair Shine
  • Nair Shinegrab (Shine and then Jump Cancel a grab)
  • Nair Double Shine (aka "Multishine")

Esther

Smash Rookie
Some different types of Shield Pressure with Fox.
  • Bair Shine > Bair Shine
  • Nair Shine > Nair Shine
  • Nair Shinegrab (Shine and then Jump Cancel a grab)
  • Nair Double Shine (aka "Multishine")
what kind of shine do we use? waveshine or shine -> shorthop?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
No Dair Shines?
The only player I see pull this off without getting shieldgrabbed 90% of the time is Hax. He honestly makes it work.

As for actually practicing pressure, there's plenty of options. You could be oldschool and set select Bowser, set his handicap to 9 and your handicap to 0. Set the damage ratio to 0.5 and practice pressuring the somewhat immobile Bowser. The best method is probably getting the 20XX pack and just setting a CPU to shield only and practice on that.

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman
I think Hax gets their shield down a bit with shield pressure exposing the top/outer hurtboxes and gets a free drillshine.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
The only player I see pull this off without getting shieldgrabbed 90% of the time is Hax. He honestly makes it work.

As for actually practicing pressure, there's plenty of options. You could be oldschool and set select Bowser, set his handicap to 9 and your handicap to 0. Set the damage ratio to 0.5 and practice pressuring the somewhat immobile Bowser. The best method is probably getting the 20XX pack and just setting a CPU to shield only and practice on that.
Yeah well Hax is kind of one of my heros in the Falcon/Fox community lol so I try and aspire to his feats. Shoot for the moon, right?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You could also practice movement on the stage and mastering all movement options and outpositioning them instead of relying on them shielding and not rolling away.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
You could also practice movement on the stage
Yeah but that wasn't the question.

Drill-Shine pressure is safer in terms of frame data, but puts you in a position to get shield-grabbed.

Nair and Bair pressure is only safer if you position yourself out of grab range.

You can also execute late Nairs to minimize the window of opportunity of getting grabbed while also throwing off your opponent's timing.

To practice Dair pressure I take Peach to Four side against one of its walls- the Bowser method mentioned above also works.

Top Bottom