• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help playing against sheik.

SMALLEOZ

Smash Rookie
I have been playing for a while now and consider myself knowledgeable in tech skills but I cant keep a steady win against my friends sheik who pretty much only rolls and forward smash. He has some other tricks up his sleeve as well. So I guess my question is what is a good counter to someone who roll trolls and just a good sheik counter in general?

Valkyrie8492

Smash Rookie
Generally Sheik wins the mu vs Falcon but if he's really just rolling and f-smashing he definitely doesn't know what he's actually doing. F smash is super punishable with sooo many things. At low percents you can cc it and follow up with a grab or a quick aerial (nair, maybe a stomp, I'm not to sure on that one) or you can just shield it and shield grab, knee, stomp, bair, most anything out of shield.

Your dash dance is super effective here. There's little Sheik can do about it except throw needles and try to inch forward. You can use this or do something like dash, wavedash back to try to bait him into rolling, shielding, whatever and punish from there. I can't tell you much about how to punish better with Falcon, you're better off looking at the Falcon boards for that but when you play him I think it's better to play a little more patiently and try to look for openings in what he does. Sheik is a pretty good combo weight so once you learn the follow ups to grabs especially then you shouldn't have too many problems unless he learns his end of the mu bettter.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Sheik's f smash is HIGHLY susceptible to shield grabbing. If you're playing falcon or ganon, you have a lot of options from a throw. If your opponent is bad they will usually always DI in the same direction when thrown so just shield grab the f smash, throw(usually down throw) and get some follow ups in. This will either cause them to break their habit, allowing both of you to improve, or you to continuously dominate them.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
http://smashboards.com/threads/trouble-playing-against-shiek-as-anybody.395932/

Sheik-specific advice doesn't matter too much against that kind of opponent; for someone like your friend:
• Bait things since he'll be super twitchy; dash dance, walk up and wait, space aerials on shield and wait, empty jump, etc.
• Spam crouch-cancel/shield and grab him anytime he does something punishable (i.e. often).
• If he can't DI properly then do the things that only really work with bad DI like down throw chain grab (with Falcon).
• Find specific bad habits or weak areas that he has and call him out on them (literally tell him about it as well if you want to help him improve faster). Maybe he can't cover the ledge when edgeguarding, or he always jumps straight of hitstun, or he can't cover techrolls; things like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom