• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help against Link

warp

Smash Rookie
Links that spam bomb and projectiles give me a lot of trouble specially because of his longer ranger with the sword. I'd appreciate tips for defeating these Links.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Use side-B to reflect projectiles when you're closer, this can close the distance at the same time. Don't try out reaching his sword like you said. Pressure him with arrows, and wait for opportunities to shield and counter.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
You can manage to reflect his weapons with your bow. Sounds a bit ackward, but it is possible. Another point is to approach via gliding, works well from the diagonal to the enemy because they are most times confused what will you do now. Attack from above or direct.

But for the basics: Stay on Target, shoot Arrows. Should he coming for you, use your dodge-skills to get near him und use your dsmash. It works for me with some gamer.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Spamming arrows will counter his projectiles (Arrows, bombs and Boomerang) and he'll be forced to come to you. Once he does, use dodging and smash attacks that seem appropiate in the current situation. Getting Link in the air will help you as long as he doesnt do the Down-Air. As for the bombs, well my Enemy didnt use bombs much, but you can still try using the Mirror shield.
If not, then spam arrows to force him to stop using bombs.

Note: If Link stands still, his shield can block your arrows, at the cost of him being pushed back a bit.

Try that info on for size.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I played Link all Melee, and I'm working with Pit now, so hopefully I can help.

If link stand still, he can block your arrows, as they said. curve it at his head/foot.You have a stronger projectile game at range. Your arrows fire faster and longer and have better control of their direction. If he insists on playing the projectile game, stay back further. Use your down-B to reflect his projectiles and your forward-B if you're close. It reflects too. If his bombs are really annoying, practice catching them ;) That'll annoy the crap out of him. It's pretty tough though. Bombs are usually pretty predictable, and most of what I used them for was getting people to move where I want them. Just stay back when he has one and he shouldn't be able to get you. You'll have enough time to move. Arrow spam to pressure him into throwing it (preferably while staying in the air).

The scariest thing about his projectiles is stealing your third jump. If you get hit out of it you're toast. Not much to say on that one. Just be careful.

His long reach can be countered with a good defensive game. Shield/dodge well and it'll leave him open with his laggy recovery from most moves. Link is a lot slower than Pit. Use that to your advantage. It's easy to punish him on lag.

Beware of his shield game. Shield grabbing and spin attack out of shield are **** (and his up smash is good now too). A good Link ought use these hard. Your best bet out of a shield is probably shorthop forward and f-air or perhaps short hop backwards to arrow (if you're too far to shield grab).

Try not to take on Link if he's above you. Pit's up air will get eaten by Links d-air (at least I would think). If you come in above his kicks you should be able to get shots in on him more than you take them, as it would be difficult for him to land an u-air like that.

A last thought on projectiles. Be careful reflecting at close range. It leaves you very open if Link doesn't get hit by it on the way back. I definitely recommend the forward-B for that to help keep him from launching a counter attack.

GaleForce

Smash Rookie
I have major issues combatting my friend's Link. When I begin to launch arrow volleys, he'll close in the distance and take me to school.

When in close combat, Link has just enough range on his sword to get past my attacks, and my grabs never seem to get him, while he has no problem with the clawshot. I took note of Namiel's advice about advancing with a shorthop fair, but can Link grab opponenets out of the air? I know that it's probably something that I should already know by now, and I apologize for asking a n00bish question.

And one more question: does Link's dair outprioritize Pit's uair? I also have troubles on the flipside with Pit's dair vs Link's uair. Would I just be better off dodging and counter attacking? Or am I missing something (like if it's a timing issue)?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
the U-air against link's D-air... Too risky, dont do it. wait til he lands, makes himself vulnerable, then attack him.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I imagine the clawshot won't grab out of the air like in Melee. Only if you are RIGHT on top of him. Then it will work like a standing grab. You should be able to f-air him easily without worry of being grabbed.

uberdylan

Smash Rookie
Don't even bother fighting Link's Dair and Uair, they're some of the best in the game; Pit's have nowhere near the same priority. I would suggest to keep dodging and attack when you get a chance, or stay at range; his sword has good reach, but Pit's attacks are quick. Get behind him and let him have it.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
i didn't really read all of the replies but if it's link's projectiles... i know toon link's bombs eat up arrows so it might be the same where link can alternate his projectiles faster than your arrows. what i do is take arrow spamming to a minimum and try to reflect his stuff back. if he stops his projectiles you're back into your arrow spamming position and if he rushes at you, just jump/shield and space yourself. it shouldn't be too hard since you have 4 jumps to dodge his moves.

oh and for the u-air vs d-air thing. i know pit's u-air > bowser's down+b so you never know untill someone tests it out... or shoot your arrow upwards.

CHEER

Smash Rookie
yo, i read some replies that people suggest to use pi forward B to get near link, i personnally think it's a bad idea cuz i can grap you easily when your doing it? and pit's arrow vs link's bomb, well, link's bomb is better in this situation man, i think.

Top Bottom