• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Feedback/Critique

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
i see you approach with qac then nair nearly all the time. change it up a bit. in the marth match, your opponent totally killed you just with f-smash because he knew you were going to qac

M15t3R E

Smash Master
What stevensteve said- I saw you actually dash towards your opponent like a few times a match. This is not good.
Another big criticism is, learn the grab and fair combos. They are too useful.

I'll break it down for you:

F-throw f-throw (CG on some characters).
F-throw to u-smash.
D-throw to d-throw (CG on some characters).
D-throw to u-tilt (you can continue the chain with another u-tilt or pretty much any aerial).
D-throw to nair.
D-throw to u-smash.

Fair to u-tilt.
Fair to d-smash.
Fair to grab.
Fair to uair.

There are others but that's a sample for you to go ahead and try. Check out our stickies while you're at it.

And welcome to the Pika board!!! :)

Roller

Smash Legend
Okay, so I watched all of the videos you posted..

First thing I noticed, as the other guy said as well, you are QACin' a bit too aggressively. Using it aggressively is OK, however when it becomes your approach 4/5times a decent opponent will catch on quick, as can be seen in your videos (especially in the Marth and Falco ones). I'd advise just cutting back on it a bit.

Next thing that I noticed was your lack of using tilts. I saw maybe 3 U-tilts total in all 4 videos combined. By not using tilts you are depriving yourself of 3 quick, good priority attacks that pika has to offer. teach yourself to start using them more; in addition to the obvious direct reasons (such as being able to combo with U-tilt) is the fact that it will further diversify your attack patterns. Making you less predictable.

Item numero three, you use Nair a bit too much. Once again this obviously leads to predictability, however there are a couple more reasons I would advise against this. One of which being that U-air has better priority AND can combo, make use of it (by the way, not using U-air enough is another little problem and adds to your predictability). The next reason is that N-air can be a usefull kill move for Pika, don't lower its knockback so much by using it over and over at lower percents, that is when U-air comes in handy.

Another thing along the same lines is your F-smash usage, use F-tilts to conserve the knockback on the F-smashes for the kill, plus F-tilt is quicker and there were a few times I noticed it would have been a better option for you (D-tilt can replace it as well).

One more minor character specific item I want to bring up is regarding how you fight Falco. As you clearly noticed he was CGing you quite a bit, don't be afraid to get the ******* back. Maybe not CG all the time, but little combos such as Dthrow-->Utilt-->Utilt-->Uair, stuff like that.

Well, that's just my $0.02, do with it what you will. But before I go I want to mention something. I am very glad that you had the balls to post videos of you losing, FAR too many people post winning videos of themselves, I have no idea why, maybe they just don't want to look bad or show off or something. But the best examples to provide for critique are ones in which you lose. Those are the ones where you can more easily see your mistakes and get good advice on how to correct them.

PLEASE, ANYONE ELSE WHO WANTS CRITICISM OF THEIR PIKACHU; FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE. It is in your own best intrest to do so.

Oh ya, and nice pika. =)

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Ok, thanks. I use d-throw to u-smash a lot as well as fair to d-smash, but I'll try to use the others more in future matches.

Anything else? Did I do anything right then?

**EDIT**

Thanks rollerking, I really appreciate the detail in your explanation. I will especially keep the tilts in mind. Yeah, my friend is ranked #6 in the state (not the guy I was playing against) and he said I should post videos of me losing, not winning.

Kroova

Smash Rookie
Mostly agreeing with roller; to much unneeded QAC, overuse of Nair. Try to edge-guard more aggressively; don't be afraid of getting off the stage.

Might want to try sweetspotting a bit more and playing around with QA around the ledge; would've helped multiple times against Ness.

Overall, decent Pika.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
The first thing I noticed when I watched you're video was the over use of you're qac Nair which became very predictable try to switch things up. One more thing don't be afraid CG you're opponents and ledge game a little more.

Nice pikachu overall

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Thanks. Clearly, there's a consensus that I use nair too much. I'll cut back on it. However, when you guys say I use QAC too aggressively, what do you mean? How should I use it non-aggressively?

As far as using more ledge game against Ness, I must admit I'm a little paranoid around the edge with him there for two reasons:

1) He has an amazing spike.
2) If I make a mistake, I could easily be bodyshocked like I was in the video when I was edgeguarding.

Another problem I have against Ness is his higher priority on his fair makes my QAC easy to gimp.

Thanks for all the feedback, it's helping a lot.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Aggressively : RISK is involved. QAC towards your opponent to quickly land an attack soon afterwards, QAC through your opponent, etc...

Passively : No or little risk. QACing in place, QACing to retreat (QAC > tjolt), etc.

Mix it up.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
really while qac is an awesome move, it can be easily countered. most chars have moves that they can spam to destory qac. examples are pikas sh nair, marths sh nair, diddys dash attack, etc. watch some vids of anther and some of the other pikas on this board to see how we approach.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
really while qac is an awesome move, it can be easily countered. most chars have moves that they can spam to destory qac. examples are pikas sh nair, marths sh nair, diddys dash attack, etc. watch some vids of anther and some of the other pikas on this board to see how we approach.
Watch Anther. That is all...

Actually I could be giving you a load of advice now, but im too lazy. And most pika players only give the advice that you should watch Anther anyway...

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Watch Anther. That is all...

Actually I could be giving you a load of advice now, but im too lazy. And most pika players only give the advice that you should watch Anther anyway...
Well, considering I already do watch Anther... I mean, what Pika player doesn't?

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Well, you already know that you use Nair too much so I don't need to say that too much.

1. You need to mix in a few more different approaches. All I really saw was QAC at -30/45 degrees to Nair and Thunder jolt -> Fair. Your opponent obviously saw that too.

2. MOAR Up-Tilt.

3. You're really good with QACing. I can definitely see that. But you need to space it better. Also, try a QAC that goes through the opponent (so that you're right behind them) -> rising Up-Tilt. It'll lead to -combos-.

4. You always recover the same it seems. (As far as getting off the ledge and getting back on the stage) Try a backward jump off the ledge -> QAC -> Thunder Jolt. Anther does this a lot. It catches a lot off guard.

5. There was like once in each match were you stopped moving and considered what you were going to do next. When you did that, your opponent usually Forward Smashed and left himself open and you punished. Why not do that a little more often?

Just my thoughts.

gallax

Smash Hero
hey pika cam. when i was playing i hardly ever used my tilts. then i stopped playing with pika and used mostly marth and snake...when all i ever used was tilts. well not mostly but you get the idea. and when i went back to pika i was like woah...where did that come from. my pika was sooooo much better when i used tilts. they come out fast and are reliable. especially the utilt. also, utilt is my favorite kill move besides thunder with pika. same with dtilt. FF(fastfall if you dont know and last time i will say it) fair>dtilt. or just dtilt more to. trust me...it works somehow. idk.

Roller

Smash Legend
also, utilt is my favorite kill move besides thunder with pika. same with dtilt.
Sorry, just had to quote that. lol

But really though, you use U-tilt/D-tilt to kill? I hardly ever use u-tilt to kill, and D-tilt virtually never (to kill I mean). Don't get me wrong, I love both attacks, and use them, just not for that purpose, I find that interesting though; we should brawl again sometime soon. It's been far too long. =P

gallax

Smash Hero
lol. i totally just read that again and it didnt come out right. i do love utilt and thunder to kill but DTILT!!!! i mean to say i just love dtilt. not to kill. lol. i have never killed with dtilt.

Roller

Smash Legend
lol. i totally just read that again and it didnt come out right. i do love utilt and thunder to kill but DTILT!!!! i mean to say i just love dtilt. not to kill. lol. i have never killed with dtilt.
Ok, good. 'Cause I was trying really hard not to laugh there. lol, I was like, I have never seen Gallax write anything THAT odd before. xD

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@OP: I feel your pain on that last stock with Ness....

I just got shown the power of his killing throw the other day (not to mention dtilt > bat), and it hurts. :(

Nice Pika, btw. Everyone's already said all the critique I can think of, though.

gallax

Smash Hero
the most important thing is to try and fight ness in the middle of a stage with a lot of horizontal range in terms of dying. definately FD since it is such a big level. also, if you find yourself next to an edge and you know that a bthrow can kill you, try to make it a point to have his bthrow go to the opposite side of the stag if he grabs you.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
the most important thing is to try and fight ness in the middle of a stage with a lot of horizontal range in terms of dying. definately FD since it is such a big level. also, if you find yourself next to an edge and you know that a bthrow can kill you, try to make it a point to have his bthrow go to the opposite side of the stag if he grabs you.
Good tips! Thanks galax.

I just remember the first time it happened, it caught me completely off guard (I went into it not really knowing the matchup that well). One minute he had me in his hands, and the next.... my poor Pika was just flying away. :(

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
@OP: I feel your pain on that last stock with Ness....

I just got shown the power of his killing throw the other day (not to mention dtilt > bat), and it hurts. :(

Nice Pika, btw. Everyone's already said all the critique I can think of, though.
Really? I felt worse on the last stock of Capatain Falcon.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
*sigh* I think this thread was moved down too quickly for anyone to notice that last post.
*bump*

Roller

Smash Legend
ok, so I just watched the first one real quick, I might watch the second one tomorrow.

Let me be the first to say that your style has DEFINITELY improved. I saw you using more of the little combos, tilting and using all the aerials. You seem to be utilizing a lot of new little synergies and that is great.

Honestly I think that you should have sheild grabbed more at the begining as you figured out about halfway through, at which point the momentum shifted in your favor. Other than that, just keep working on becoming even more unpredictable, but really great improvement, you should be proud. =)

Top Bottom