• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This is completely random, but can anyone confirm for me if Baten Kaitos is still owned by Namco? I know the first one was a Namco game, but Origins was published by Nintendo and Monolith is currently a Nintendo seond party(I think).

^ That is exactly how I feel. In terms of preference, my list is:

1) Nobody
2) Pac-Man
3) Lloyd Irving

And anybody else, I would be actively upset about.
Lloyd is actually my most wanted character from Namco right now. Pac-Man just seems too boring for my personal tastes, and a lot of people people only seem to "want" him because they treat him like the only viable option.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
This is completely random, but can anyone confirm for me if Baten Kaitos is still owned by Namco? I know the first one was a Namco game, but Origins was published by Nintendo and Monolith is currently a Nintendo seond party(I think).

Lloyd is actually my most wanted character from Namco right now. Pac-Man just seems too boring for my personal tastes, and people only seem to "want" him because they treat him like the only viable option.
I want Pac-Man because im a fan of Pac-Man. :(

slambros

Smash Ace
It is tough. It is a very tough call. You have Pac-Man, Namco's mascot. Then you Lloyd Irving, another guy with a sword. but I believe that the Namco character that has the best potential gameplay in a smash game is Klonoa. No, he does not need a redesign.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It is tough. It is a very tough call. You have Pac-Man, Namco's mascot. Then you Lloyd Irving, another guy with a sword. but I believe that the Namco character that has the best potential gameplay in a smash game is Klonoa. No, he does not need a redesign.
Klonoa would probably fit into Smash better than most Namco characters, but there's pretty much no chance for him. He has very few requests and isn't a major Namco series like Tekken, Tales, or Pac-Man, so while he could be cool in Smash, you shouldn't get your hopes up for him. Pac-Man and even Lloyd have much better chances than him.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Your not the only one. I've been playing everything Pac Man related since I was 5 and totally would want him to punch Mario's lights out. ;)
Glad to see im not the only one.

I would also like to see Kirby and Pac-Man battle it out and the only item used in the battle is food. :smirk:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Glad to see im not the only one.

I would also like to see Kirby and Pac-Man battle it out and the only item used in the battle is food. :smirk:
Kirby: Poyo! *glare ares at the cake and Pac Man*
Pac Man: Yeah! *gets ready to steal cake*
Both: *does a dramatic flying kick towards each other*

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man
Kazuya, Heihachi, Jin, Hwoarang
Siegfried, Nightmare, Ivy, Raphael
Yoshimitsu

Binx

Smash Master
I will probably never come to this thread again but was I the only person who saw bandai and immediately had all these childhood memories of transformers toys? Optimus Prime for SSB4!

D

Deleted member

I will probably never come to this thread again but was I the only person who saw bandai and immediately had all these childhood memories of transformers toys? Optimus Prime for SSB4!
Originated from toys, therefore, not happening.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Plus, aren't Transformers Hasbro? I mean, if we're getting a Hasbro rep, the "Mane 6" of MLP:FiM would be good.

Not that we're getting toy company reps anyway...:troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
After I saw the trailer for the Wii U version of Tekkan Tag Tournament 2, I think I'm more enthusiastic about Tekkan characters in Super Smash Bros.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
After I saw the trailer for the Wii U version of Tekkan Tag Tournament 2, I think I'm more enthusiastic about Tekkan characters in Super Smash Bros.
I'm not. Awesome costumes for TTT2 or not, there are still better choices as far as potential Namco reps.

D

Deleted member

I have to agree that the TTT2 Wii U trailer may influence a Tekken character (most likely Heihachi) to join Smash.

I mean, sure, other characters like Pac-Man "make more sense", but actually stop to think about this;
According to Harada, Tekken has the most support for a character. Not Tales, not Pac-Man, Tekken. His biggest thing was that he wasn't sure if fans would really want that.
The main concern from speculators is that they "wouldn't fit" Smash, despite Tekken being the series with a farting bear, boxing dinosaur, and an old man that ties people to shuttles and gives out electric noogies among other oddities. And as much as I hate to make comparisons between Smash and Playstation All-Stars, it has a similar style to Smash, and Heihachi works fine.
The Nintendo costumes and "Mushroom Combat" in TTT2 Wii U are icing on the cake.
If anything, it's almost like the costumes and mushrooms were made as a test to determine if Tekken should have representation in Smash or not.

"B-But Pac-Man!" But nothing. Again, Pac-Man isn't as requested as you might say, considering Harada flat out said Tekken recieved the most buzz. Also, just because Pac-Man "makes more sense" doesn't mean he is automatically getting in over other Namco reps. Take Snake for example. Simon Belmont or even someone like Goemon would make much more sense from a Nintendo standpoint, yet we got Snake, who's somewhat of a Playstation icon.

Some food for thought. You don't have to agree with me, just know that it is unwise to cloud judgement based on what you feel "makes more sense".

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
According to Harada, Tekken has the most support for a character. Not Tales, not Pac-Man, Tekken..
Where did he say that? All I remember was that he said he didn't feel they belonged in Smash. And if it is true that Tekken has more supporters than other Namco characters, then this is my response.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, he is the director of the Tekken series. Unless he's in charge of other series as well, it makes sense that he wouldn't get a lot of request for other series.

D

Deleted member

There are other key members of Namco-Bandai working on the game, including the Tales director.
Harada is saying that fans are specifically going after him and Tekken.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Though I am not getting my hopes up, the NamcoBandai character whom I want to appear in the game most is Cless Alvein (or Cress Albane) from Tales of Phantasia. His Final Smash could be Pegasus.

I would like to see Kalas from Baten Kaitos also, but it has been quite a while since the last entry in the series came out. And to my memory, the series never had too much fanfare to begin with. So unless they plan to make a Baten Kaitos sequel or something, I doubt Kalas has much of a chance compared to more popular NamcoBandai characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
D

Deleted member

"Not really sure if fans would want that" =/= "There won't be any".

It just means he feels fans wouldn't want it, but it doesn't flat out disconfirm it (deconfirm is not a real word :awesome:).
He later states "but I don't know" as in he doesn't know how fans would react. Which is why I feel the Nintendo references in TTT2 Wii U are meant to be a test.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just making sure. But now that he knows the heaven demand for Tekken, he would considered it. Heihaichi on the other hand, is a no-go since he's in PlayStation All Stars. Jin was already in Soul Calibur V. So that leaves Kazuya and a few others as likely Tekken options.

D

Deleted member

Being in Playstation All-Stars does not mean Heihachi can't be in Smash.
Namco can do whatever the Hell they want with Heihachi; they are not under contract to Sony or Nintendo.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Either Heihachi, Kazuya, or Yoshimitsu for me. I personally would like Yoshimitsu.

:phone:

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
There are other key members of Namco-Bandai working on the game, including the Tales director.
Harada is saying that fans are specifically going after him and Tekken.

I vaguely remember the director behind the Tales of series saying that he would like to see a Tales character in, but Sakurai is the one with the final decision, not him.
I also remember him expressing concerns of which character he would pick if a Tales character were allowed.

So it's not just tekken characters that are being requested.

D

Deleted member

He mentioned nothing about requests, only that he himself would like to see it happen.

But still, it's not that Tekken is the only one with requests, which I doubt that's the case. It's just that Tekken gets the most of it.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Tekken is like Street Fighter. It's a very popular franchise at the moment.

Oh course theres requests for Pac-Man and Talse characters, but Tekken is receiving the most requests. (yay repeating what people say)

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet
Tekken is more of a playStation thing. And there are only like 3 or 4 Tekken games on Nintendo Consoles.
Someone form Tales or Soul could work, but I would rather have Namco's mascot playable.

My vote goes for Pac-Man obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom