• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nade Shell Tech and Tricks

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Whats up Smore Sheik mains. I'm sure by now you have gotten punched in the mouth at least once while using Sheiks burst grenade and notice it pelting the ground. While we may cry tears of being knocked away from the blow, the applications of picking that nade back up as an item is insane. With Sheiks incredible speed, combos, and edge guarding she already is a big threat in the competitive scene. Give her an item and this extends her limits even more. Within this thread I will showcase a few nade shell techs and tricks with Wasserwipf's lovely home made .gifs.

Nade Jump Cancel Toss

While Glide tossing from previous smash games is absent in smore which could lead into long slides, Jump Cancel Toss is here to mend our wounds with a small consultation. In order to perform this tech simply fox trot left or right, jump, and throw the nade down very swiftly. For example my Y is set to jump, and my A is attack (or throw in this case). So I would fox trot right, slide my thumb from Y to A while holding down during the fox trot, resulting in tossing the nade straight down while getting a decent slide. You can even alternate between Dthrow and strong Dthrow to make the nade bounce according to your preference. Here's an example of using this tech as an anti air

Nade Shell Set Ups

While the nade is on the field you only get four seconds of life from it before it dies away, so picking it back up before it settles on the ground is a must if you plan to use it further. The nade can be used in two ways; extending strings and pressure, or adding coverage. In almost all scenarios when momentum is on your side pelting the opponent with the nade to hone back in is acceptable as long as you dont get it reflected, or throw it off the stage by mistake.

However while adding an extra 8% and knock back from attacks is nice, the real application of this nade rests in kill set ups, and amazing edge guarding. The shell does diagonal knock back dependent on which side of the character it hits. Whats fortunate is that this does the perfect knock back to get a tipper usmash, AT KILL PERCENT

In order to do this you have drop the grenade on the opposite side your want your opponent to go. The problem is that because the item is so small, precision is key. Because Sheik does a flip during her jump this make this even trickier. When attempting to perform this remember that Sheik is right handed as getting this to work consistently

Now for my personal favorite part. Sheik can cover all get up options on the ledge. Needless to say it is character dependent on how fluent works, but it still dirty nonetheless. In this video I showcase the edge guard, with Mario being roll get up distance.

Sorry for the 3DS quality, but its in 2160p so hopefully that makes up for it

If I did Strong Dthrow the nade bounce would've hit mario in time to pinball him into the charged Fsmash

The edge guard covers Attack, Neutral, and Jump get ups with the nade bounce, while the vanish covers both drop down and roll options.

In order to perform this you must use the left over glide from the jump cancel toss to vanish glide. The close you are to the edge while performing this, the better.

Needless to say there are tons of applications to utilize the nade shell. While it is debatable if Sheik truly is the best character in smore or not this item makes a world of difference. To a point where I will even say Sheik is the best character in the game without a doubt so long as this nade is in her hands. The sad part is that you had to get punch in the jaw to have the nade in the first place.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Fantastic thread!

but now the real question is how do we get the grenade? Since it requires us to get hit I guess the best option would be to take a projectile to the face or some other weak attack that wont effect us that much. Crouch canceling while doing side B in the low % could also make this worth while.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Good stuff here!

Anyway, one thing to mention, the Nade Jump Cancel Toss (which imo should be featured in the compendium if it's not yet there...) can not only be performed out of a run as well, not only foxtrott. In addition, it matters if you do a strong or a weak throw (the nade will bounce higher). It is to mention, that the nade will ALWAYS go up after a hit, so you can eg hit someone with it, and then SH and Aerial at them while catching the nade again (since its above them). Someone should try nade toss into (delayed) weak nair BF or something. Ofcourse, not guaranteed, but cool mixups or shield pressure. Also, needle storm to Nade throw might be something with penetrating needles... Well, be creative.

One last thing, the Nade Jump Cancel Toss is super easy with a GCC, since you can throw the nade with the C-Stick. Map L, R or Z to jump, run, jump with shoulder button and C-Stick down. Depending on if you have Smash or Tilt stick, yo will do the strong or weak nade throw.

TCL | Harp & Dagger

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCorndogLover
3DS FC
1075-0799-6110
While I agree this could be useful if you get it out, it is extremely situational, as you have to get hit when you throw it and the attack/projectile has to have low knockback so you can go and pick the grenade up. It's really hard to practice these techniques as well as it is a little difficult to do in training. How is it at intercepting recoveries off stage?

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
This thread is amazing! Well laid out with great content. I will be making sure to learn all these techniques. Maybe add a section about what moves to get hit by to get the nade? Also the Bf and fair combo potential.
Great work here.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
The UpSmash setup has won me several games. While situational, the nade is super useful and versatile. It is definitely worth getting hit by a fireball to get.

Top Bottom