• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Controllers discussion

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
...the plastic that sits on the top of the bowl had some excess that make it rock very unsmoothly. Took a knife and cut off a bit of excess plastic on the sides and it felt a lot smoother.
They advertise this on the product page now.

BTW that excess isn't there by mistake. It's normal, but expensive to prevent/remove. No biggie when you're making a million and each part is 1 cent, but niche products are made in smaller, costlier batches. It sometimes makes sense to leave the excess on to keep price down, especially if your customers are primarily savvy, cost-conscious hobbyists :)

jinyung2

Smash Cadet
The kitsch-bent pieces took a bit of sanding too and it was mentioned in the product description how there would be a bit excess (from the site: you may need to remove a slight bit of 'flash' on the parts, which is typical for plastics parts to ensure a smoother operation. this is very easily done with a common razor edge, if even required).
Yup I had expected to fit some pieces down and decided it would be a good idea to give a general idea where you'd need to for anyone who wanted to attempt similar repairs. The kitsch-bent pieces are great though, I haven't had such a perfect controller in a decade or so :D
Curious regarding why leaving excess keeps the cost down, does it make quality control easier?

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
My guess would be that it's obviously safer to plan to have extra material and to sand it down smoothely, but doing so in a uniform fashion for each individual piece would be a whole other process in addition to the injection molding or 3d printing or however they're doing the plastic. Basically because it's a specialty product anyway they may as well keep their overhead low and pass the savings on to you.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
My guess would be that it's obviously safer to plan to have extra material and to sand it down smoothely, but doing so in a uniform fashion for each individual piece would be a whole other process in addition to the injection molding or 3d printing or however they're doing the plastic. Basically because it's a specialty product anyway they may as well keep their overhead low and pass the savings on to you.
You nailed it. Those unsightly nubs are from the holes in the mold where the plastic flows in/out. They can be avoided with fancy shutoffs, but that's moving parts in your mold = more expensive. You can also slice/sand them off, but that requires a slow and costly human.

A common example is model kits. They literally give you the parts still on the runners (tubes through which the plastic flows into the part cavity). When you break the parts off the runners you're left with that same little gnarly bit, which the model maker then sands off.

Last edited:

samoht

Smash Rookie
I read a few times that the gamecube like thumbsticks are terrible for smash. Well has anybody tried a GCN to N64 adapter? Im not sure if it would be as bad as replacing the n64 controller with the same stick. Also how is the hori mini pad for smash? Id like to get one but i dont want to waste $90 on a controller if it isnt that good for smash.

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
I read a few times that the gamecube like thumbsticks are terrible for smash. Well has anybody tried a GCN to N64 adapter? Im not sure if it would be as bad as replacing the n64 controller with the same stick. Also how is the hori mini pad for smash? Id like to get one but i dont want to waste $90 on a controller if it isnt that good for smash.
I've used the gamecube style ones recently and they're definitely not terrible for ssb. They feel slightly different than a normal one, of course, but it's super easy to get used to. And yeah they shouldn't wear out on you. I'm getting one for myself soon. (I've used my friend's)

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
I like the gamecube style sticks, they're consistent so you can get used to them no problem. Don't have to worry about any degradation or maintenance

Edit: I have never played on a good original controller with a quality stick so I am looking forward to fireblasters guide on proper restoration and maintenance of original sticks so I can try those out too.

Overall, buying a gamecube style one and testing it out won't hurt at all. You may really enjoy it

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
seems like most new players like gamecube style sticks but that's only because most them them don't pivot very often or don't realize its importance. Pivoting is the most important movement option in 64 and the gc style sticks seem to make it impossible to perform consistently. I can't speak for an actual gc controller with an adapter but i know a few players use this including @ LLDL LLDL if I am not mistaken. Maybe he can give you some insight

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
seems like most new players like gamecube style sticks but that's only because most them them don't pivot very often or don't realize its importance. Pivoting is the most important movement option in 64 and the gc style sticks seem to make it impossible to perform consistently. I can't speak for an actual gc controller with an adapter but i know a few players use this including @ LLDL LLDL if I am not mistaken. Maybe he can give you some insight
Didn't realize pivoting is hard with those, I gotta test that now

LLDL

Smash Hero
I can pivot fine because it's the same as Melee. You guys are handicap by the stiffness of the N64 controller, so anything lose like the gamecube controller will seem more difficult in comparison to you. So I'm not a good person to ask on that issue.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I can pivot fine because it's the same as Melee. You guys are handicap by the stiffness of the N64 controller, so anything lose like the gamecube controller will seem more difficult in comparison to you. So I'm not a good person to ask on that issue.
have you ever tried playing with the gamecube style 3rd party sticks for the n64? i haven't played a lot of melee but from my experience it feels much different

samoht

Smash Rookie
So do you use a GC controller with an adapter to the 64? I wanted to know if there is any input lag or anything like that associated with it. Also if you can pivot like you can in melee with it, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Also if you don't mind telling me what adapter you have I would like to know. Thanks :)

Shears

Smash Master
I've used gamecube controllers on 64 since I own 2 adapters. It feels totally fine. Going from melee to 64 I have a hard time pivoting since I get used to different game mechanics, but going from GC controller to 64 controller on 64, I notice no issues in pivoting. I think most people think there is a problem since they are switching from different games and think the pivoting is the same in both. Using gamecube controller on 64 feels very smooth and seamless. If 64 controllers die out, the options of hori or GC controller are both great alternatives, and in some ways people may find them to already be better (but those people are what we call heretics).

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
The hell with those ****ing trigger buttons. I can't z-cancel with that ****. Somebody just start 3D printing perfect replicas until the nintendo C&D ban hammer comes down. Or who knows maybe they won't give a ****.

Think about how many original controllers with mint condition joysticks are just sitting in a box in somebody's attic/garage right now. They don't know they're sitting on a goldmine.

Annex

Smash Ace
"GC-Style" N64 sticks are not GC sticks...pretty much at all. They're basically shorter N64 sticks with less force pushing them to neutral that can also skip frames if you don't have some chip
People may be arguing different things here, idk

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
I'm just gonna clarify somethig for EVERYONE, if u have a third party controller u suck, secondly the GC style stick for n64 controllers is FLAWLESS, don't listen to people who say it's bad with smash attacks, , the tilts are perfect, short hop up airs are a breeze; an u can DI like crazy with full range and they will NEVER wear down: I've been using it on console for a while and it's perfect, ordered 3 more, I also have a repair box joy stick, they are tanks. Work well, just requires more powerlifter like fingers to go nuts. The gc sticks are perfect, they'll last forever, go to eBay they're like 13 bucks with tax n shipping . I'll make a video on it if people don't believe me haha. Just put one of those in ur 1st party controllers and ur good and comfy for eternity

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
And pivoting with the n64 gc style (correct it's not like GameCube sticks, they're rather unique) is easier than on a regular n64 analog, I have a fresh n64 Stick, no deadzone, I prefer my shorter fatter gc style tho, that's just me haha. They work percet with emulators and console, I'll make a video on my old YouTube account later today maybe

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
And pivoting with the n64 gc style (correct it's not like GameCube sticks, they're rather unique) is easier than on a regular n64 analog, I have a fresh n64 Stick, no deadzone, I prefer my shorter fatter gc style tho, that's just me haha. They work percet with emulators and console, I'll make a video on my old YouTube account later today maybe
plz make a video

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Maybe they fixed the GC style sticks and they work now?

I doubt it but who knows. Derek you're probably just used to the weird sensitivity at this point.

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
Im off work at 730, might make one around 8, it'd be up late but I'll try to. and I understand how the angles from those pictures work, but a tilt is a tilt, 45 degrees or 47, or 51, it'll perform the same attack comfortably, when ur in the zone in a match ur brain is focused on the game, an the angles of the analog don't disallow any movements yo uwant to perform. those angles wind up performing the same move. not only that but the durability is off the charts. Perhaps a FPS would be easier with an n64 stick, but for smash talk that stick is great. Ill make a video later tn. An nah ill make a video sheer, i think i played u a few nights ago :D

I wont let ya down, perhaps they fixed it with a newer model I bought, Ill clarify all tonight that they work great with different games with a video. They're just such a great fix, theyll last forever to. Like walking slow in sm64 isnt a challange in any direction, the same way a tilt is easy at any point in smash, BUT ILL settle it with this style of stick tn. I destroyed my repair box one, I have another one coming in though along with 3 more GC sticks.
Thanks erryone

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
Ill try to cover everything if i make a video, every scenario and tilt option along with slow walking and stuff. Ill show emulator as well.
if there;s anything u want me to test with the GC style stick VS original let me know

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Ill try to cover everything if i make a video, every scenario and tilt option along with slow walking and stuff. Ill show emulator as well.
if there;s anything u want me to test with the GC style stick VS original let me know
that would be awesome. if it seems like a decent option after the video ill probably order some

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
i wont try to persuade u but like, ill show the ins and outs. I ordered 3 more and i have two originals and used to have a repair box. Im not sure if all GC style sticks are the same but ill clarify everything and post a video link here when its all done, im off to work, ill let u know when i started making the video here

Derek Bancarz

Smash Cadet
Thanks man, and what's CRT?
But I forgot to touch on a few things, quality was minuscule cause of time but I wanted to put that out there

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah man vid looks good. Sensitivity looks fine. Perhaps they fixed them.

And echoing the guy above me, where exactly did you buy them? Link please?

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
We have a flatscreen that doesn't lag compared to a CRT but I think you have to adjust some of the settings. But either way you definitely gotta fix that aspect ratio. This **** is 4:3, son.

Top Bottom