• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystery Character?

taljen

Smash Rookie
Just got Project M and I love it. Anyone else curious about the question mark in Melee Character's section? Or is this not the place for such speculation?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
They said in the in the SMYN podcast that the ? was not random. I guess that was just a fabrication to encourage hype?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I'm guessing if they said anything about Random, it's that it now makes a sound when you select it whereas previously before it did not. It randomly selects the character you will use throughout the duration of 1 fight and then will change the next round and the next round ad infinitum.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing they're thinking of bringing back the lost characters from Melee. A year and a half ago, it was a matter of adding new slots for having extra characters (up to 7), but the codeset were very unstable. If they fix that, I see no reason not to bring the old characters :)

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
It's hinting at the clone engine Danatarion was working on to add characters (like Roy or Mewtwo) without replacing old ones but it hasn't been touched for a while IIRC unless it's been worked on in secret.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Nah, there's only what, a 1/35 chance to get Metaknight? But in Melee you had like a 1/5 chance of getting a viable character. That sounds like a nerf to me.

:phone:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
At first I thought it would be
Chuck Norris but then I remembered this game is suppose to be balanced and we already have Captain Falcon.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
It probably refers to the possibility that if the clone engine is finished, that Roy is planned to be added at least, I remember some old streams of Project M where Roy was shown, he had some work done like his side-tilt being changed to a stab animation and it could be angled up and down IIRC, the only problem I think was that Roy couldn't have his own graphic effects separate from Marth so they didn't want to bother with him until this was fixed

I don't know if Dantarion is still working on it or not, last I heard of him he quit the brawl hacking scene for good and started hacking other games

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
It probably refers to the possibility that if the clone engine is finished, that Roy is planned to be added at least, I remember some old streams of Project M where Roy was shown, he had some work done like his side-tilt being changed to a stab animation and it could be angled up and down IIRC, the only problem I think was that Roy couldn't have his own graphic effects separate from Marth so they didn't want to bother with him until this was fixed

I don't know if Dantarion is still working on it or not, last I heard of him he quit the brawl hacking scene for good and started hacking other games
I'm guessing it is the clone engine in general. On earlier streams, they were asking for the progress on Mewtwo. I'm not sure what the clone engine is, but I'm guessing it's something big.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I personally like that random doesn't give you your character until the game starts, but it'd be nice if you could do either. Maybe in a future update.

As for the clone engine talk, I think everyone knows that they're planning on returning the best of the cut characters to his former glory and beyond. I'm talking, of course, about Pichu.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I'm guessing it is the clone engine in general. On earlier streams, they were asking for the progress on Mewtwo. I'm not sure what the clone engine is, but I'm guessing it's something big.
Regular people asking that? Means nothing then, just rumors

i know something you guys don't know~

but nothing shall be said here.
Doubt it's anything about the clone engine

Top Bottom