• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mysterious dirt on Gamecube controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I've had two white Gamecube controllers in the past. One was the original Wii era Gamecube logo White controller, now I have a Smash 4 White controller and they both have had this strange issue on the left side of the controller.

See the black stuff? I whiped off some (I cleaned it entirely after I took this photo), but you can even see some of that dirt gets inside the controller. Now I wash my hands consistently throughout the day (more than the average person), and my controller is either in a bag or on a chair, and none of those things apply this dirt to the controller. I've also only seen this happen to White controllers.

Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I literally wash my hands after touching anything. I probably wash my hands at least 25-35 times a day, no joke.
It's also natural oil and dirt from other things.

Just clean your stuff more.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Could be the environment of the controller. Like, where it stays or where you play it. In home or outside home. I can't really think how it does that. (before you kept it in cleaner environments.)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In all seriousness...

It's probably gremlins.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Do you get sweaty while playing? I find that tends to build up a fair bit of similar grime after a month or so regardless of how clean my hands were before I started. Can't say why it'd only be on the white though unless there's some sticker residue or something making it more dirt retentive.

D

Deleted member

Do you get sweaty while playing? I find that tends to build up a fair bit of similar grime after a month or so regardless of how clean my hands were before I started. Can't say why it'd only be on the white though unless there's some sticker residue or something making it more dirt retentive.
Sometimes my hands do, however I wonder why it's the case with this controller and not like persay, my Xbox 360 controller that's white? I wonder if it's the paint of white GC controllers? So odd. lol

Maybe sweat + white GC controller paint is more susceptible to this. What's weirder is that it always happens on the left side of the white GC controllers, just not the right.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Given that your hands are not exercised equally, I wouldn't find non-linear sweat grime surprising. What I do find surprising is the controller exclusivity. Different controllers have different finish textures so it's possible that your own personal blend of sweat residue adheres better to one I guess but to only see anything on the GC seems a tad extreme.
Also, the fact that's not congregating around the seems seems a bit off.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
I've had a similar issue with my controller, but it seems to get on mostly the C-stick and the control stick to a lesser extent (although it's gotten better recently).

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
I have this weird gunk on my controller too, but underneath my control stick. It really doesn't have any effect on game play and it's hardly noticeable, most likely because my 10-year old controller is already messed up aesthetically.

The control stick padding is gone and there's a green see-through bead stuck on the hole where the screw goes on the back of the controller. It created a fairly noticeable crack. Also, it's losing paint in several areas.

If dirt gets stuck in the tiny line connecting the front and the back of the controller, I always just use a toothpick to take it out. I'm not really too sure where this dirt originates from either.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I get build up like that on all of my controllers as well, not just white ones. I believe it has something to do with your hands sweating and dead skin. It's not a huge deal just clean it off often.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I never liked white GCN controllers
Myself i have a black one you will never notice and care because you can barely see it.

Whiz

Smash Rookie
I think it's dried sweat/other hand oils?
I get marks rather like that all over mine oftenly. It comes off easy enough with a bit of rubbing. It's gross, but just part of Smash I guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom